PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova: GQ Woman of the Year

tennischick
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:56 AM
GQ Magazine Names Russian Tennis Star Sharapova Woman of 2004

Created: 07.12.2004 16:47 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 16:47 MSK

MosNews

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova was selected by GQ magazine as one of its 2004 Women of the Year.

The GQ editors said that when they first saw the Russian blond they thought she was just another copy of her famous compatriot Anna Kurnikova until they saw her play. In July, Sharapova won Wimbledon. In November, she became the world’s first Russian WTA champion.

Sharapova was on the list of five Women of the Year, along with Kate Winslet, Uma Thurman, Loretta Lynn, and Gwen Stefani.

In September, Sharapova signed marketing deals with electronics giant Motorola and the Parlux Fragrances. The multi-year deal with Motorola does not only include global advertising and event appearances but also allows fans to stay connected to Maria via Web-based content. The deal with Parlux includes the launch of a perfume that will bear Sharapova’s name before the end of next year.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/12/07/sharapova.shtml

jacobruiz
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Well, that's nice. She's definately moving up in the world of fame and fortune.

I wonder what GQ's criteria is for "Women of the Year"?

the cat
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Congrats to Maria Sharapova on being one of GQ's women of the year for 2004. :D I guess it's a 5 way tie. ;)

According to my sources expect Maria to grace the cover of GQ in 2005. :)

brunof
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
GQ Magazine Names Russian Tennis Star Sharapova Woman of 2004

Created: 07.12.2004 16:47 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 16:47 MSK

MosNews

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova was selected by GQ magazine as one of its 2004 Women of the Year.

The GQ editors said that when they first saw the Russian blond they thought she was just another copy of her famous compatriot Anna Kurnikova until they saw her play. In July, Sharapova won Wimbledon. In November, she became the world’s first Russian WTA champion.

Sharapova was on the list of five Women of the Year, along with Kate Winslet, Uma Thurman, Loretta Lynn, and Gwen Stefani.

In September, Sharapova signed marketing deals with electronics giant Motorola and the Parlux Fragrances. The multi-year deal with Motorola does not only include global advertising and event appearances but also allows fans to stay connected to Maria via Web-based content. The deal with Parlux includes the launch of a perfume that will bear Sharapova’s name before the end of next year.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/12/07/sharapova.shtml
Can Maria really be considered a woman next to the other five? :rolleyes:

harloo
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Yep, I read it. This is where she said that she likes to kick male's players ass. Some people thought it was a fake article, but this validate's the story.;)

the cat
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Hi har! :wavey: I'm pretty sure Maria was only kidding around when she said she can beat men. ;)

sartrista7
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Can Maria really be considered a woman next to the other five? :rolleyes:

Why shouldn't she be? :retard:

saki
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Why shouldn't she be? :retard:
I assume because she's more of a "girl" than a "woman"... don't agree, but I think that was his point.

harloo
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Hi har! :wavey: I'm pretty sure Maria was only kidding around when she said she can beat men. ;)
Hey cat!!! She sounded pretty serious too me, but maybe you are right.;)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:16 PM
How can she have "sounded pretty serious" to you when you read it out of a magazine and thus, totally lacked context? Not to mention tone of voice, the expression on her face, etc. :)

the cat
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:26 PM
You are being sarcastic Becca.:rolleyes: ;)

I will be happy when Maria can beat all the best WTA Tour women. Forget about the men.

Andy.
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:43 PM
This is awesome Congratulations Masha its great she is being recognised in this way. Great for her and womens Tennis.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Gwen Stefani???? What the hell has she done???