PDA

View Full Version : Patty's Battle of the Sexes Part 3 vs. Austrian ATP pro

vogus
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Patty Schnyder is set to play Austrian journeyman pro Thomas Schliessling (ATP 1050) in the St Anton exho on Thursday. In '02 at St Anton, Patty beat 1180th ranked Patrick Mayr 7-6 7-5, then last year she lost a surprisingly competetive match to ATP 167 and one of Austria's top players, Daniel Kollerer 6-2 6-4. Schliessling is not as good as Kollerer but he is definitely better than Mayr. He has been ranked inside the Top 300 and just last week qualified at a 25K Challenger. I have a feeling that this time Patty is going to take a pretty sound beating at the hands of the male pro, but who knows until they actually play, hopefully someobdy will see the match and be able to report on it...

Tochio
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Oh! Is this frist time ?
If yes , I think Patty is an amazing girl. Wow !!

Brian Stewart
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM
This is the rubber match. Go Patty!

Greenout
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Come on Patty!! Who says Patty has no sense of humour or is dour? ;)

GoDominique
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
His name is Schiessling.

Prediction if it was a real match: Schiessling def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1

Prediction for this match: someone wins 6-4 7-6.

DutchieGirl
Dec 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Go Patty! :D

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM
is Patty on a one-woman crusade to finish Austrian tennis ??

would she be playing the Austrian women (only if half were not injured and other half not retired)

xan
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Patty's not been playing so well this year, but hopefully she'll put up a good showing. The matches are usually reported briefly on her swiss website.

vogus
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Come on Patty!! Who says Patty has no sense of humour or is dour? ;)

Well put. Patty has no sense of humor and is dour. She's the ultimate grumpy billionaire heiress.

I don't think this Austrian guy is going to be cutting the corner too close (that is, if he can help it). Patrick Mayr hasnt shown his face in public since he got beat by Patty two years ago. I doubt that kind of embarassment is worth the 10 or 15 thousand$ that these guys are getting paid for the exho. If Patty beats him it will be a totally legit win.

LefandePatty
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Good luck Patty !!!!! :) :worship: :kiss: :hearts: :bounce: :worship:

soos n the sis
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
no question about having sense of humour.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Well put. Patty has no sense of humor and is dour. She's the ultimate grumpy billionaire heiress.

I don't think this Austrian guy is going to be cutting the corner too close (that is, if he can help it). Patrick Mayr hasnt shown his face in public since he got beat by Patty two years ago. I doubt that kind of embarassment is worth the 10 or 15 thousand$ that these guys are getting paid for the exho. If Patty beats him it will be a totally legit win.
Patrick Mayr was the equivalent of a Laura-Ritchey Thomas or an Elizabeth Freeman-Young on the mens tour. Mayr's ranking points came from playing low level tournaments in third world countries where the qualifying draws were basically empty. He picked up the odd win against another journeyman, but basically got his ATP ranking off of smart scheduling rather than actual ability. Patty should have won that match.

If this is a legitimate match Patty shouldn't be able to get more than three or four games. The only advantage is that Patty is used to playing in front of big crowds and this guy more than likely is not.

vogus
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Patrick Mayr was the equivalent of a Laura-Ritchey Thomas or an Elizabeth Freeman-Young on the mens tour. Mayr's ranking points came from playing low level tournaments in third world countries where the qualifying draws were basically empty. He picked up the odd win against another journeyman, but basically got his ATP ranking off of smart scheduling rather than actual ability. Patty should have won that match.

If this is a legitimate match Patty shouldn't be able to get more than three or four games. The only advantage is that Patty is used to playing in front of big crowds and this guy more than likely is not.

i agree somewhat but not totally. Mayr picked up a few cheap points in Nigeria or something to get his ranking, but unlike those women you cited, he was also the local champion of his region (Innsbruck i think), and he had be decent to manage that, as tennis is a popular sport in Austria. The ability of any female pro to beat even low-level male pros was something that most people (including myself) previously thought was impossible.

about the outcome of tomorrow's match, i think you are right, it shouldnt be very close, Schliessling is an experienced pro players - but after last year's scoreline against Kollerer, i'm not making any prediction.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM
His name is Schiessling.

Prediction if it was a real match: Schiessling def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1

Prediction for this match: someone wins 6-4 7-6.
I don't know about the actual scoreline, since I know absolutely nothing about this guy, but I agree with you that we really shouldn't read into the scoreline.... it's an exhibition. And exhibitions... are just that.

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Patty's not been playing so well this year, but hopefully she'll put up a good showing. The matches are usually reported briefly on her swiss website.

this year has been pretty good for patty considering she was injured for most the clay season which should be her best time of year.

GS semi, 2 tier I semis, 4th round US Open, semis of US Open doubles, doubles title. ranked 14 singes and 17 in doubles. only 98 and 2002 are comparable.

sabandborg
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Patty is gorgeous ---> I can't deny.

But between the Oj, crazy menfriends & dysfunctional family------> see next line

Patty you need help!

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM
!

focusing on the positive part of your post ;)

just checked Schliessling's history and he has a win over Safin at an ATP tournie in Spain (back in '99 when Safin was ranked 50th, but still :eek: )

Xian
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:20 AM
if Schiessling plays seriously he should win 60 60 without any problems but I dont think anyone want to see that so maybe 63 63 for him

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
it's silly to say anyone should win 6-0, 6-0. sure it should be a one sided match but any player with ability can usually use there serve to sneak through at least one service game.

of a lot of players patty is the most likely to win games from men because she does have the abilty to change her game. unlike a lot of women she won't be hitting at the men from side to side - she can use moonballs, angles etc. i'm not saying it would be anywhere enough to beat a quality male but it gives her better chance in rallies.

Greenout
Dec 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Someone give us the scores! Is there a website for the event?

DutchieGirl
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM

But between the Oj, crazy menfriends & dysfunctional family------> see next line

Patty you need help!
Do you actually KNOW anything about Patty's family? Coz if not, then I suggest you SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM
it's silly to say anyone should win 6-0, 6-0. sure it should be a one sided match but any player with ability can usually use there serve to sneak through at least one service game.

of a lot of players patty is the most likely to win games from men because she does have the abilty to change her game. unlike a lot of women she won't be hitting at the men from side to side - she can use moonballs, angles etc. i'm not saying it would be anywhere enough to beat a quality male but it gives her better chance in rallies.

well said - and remember that when Patty played Mayr, Mayr was only able to break Patty's serve once in two long sets...

alex.2812
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM
so, who won?

LefandePatty
Dec 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM
so, who won?

The match didn't start ;)

LefandePatty
Dec 9th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Patty lost 3-6 1-6 :sad:

vogus
Dec 9th, 2004, 09:01 PM
still, a competetive 3-6 first set against a guy who beat Safin in an ATP match??

WD Patty, good effort.

switz
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
pretty good scoreline IMO. i know people will say he gave her the games but i don't agree. this event is labelled "The Battle of the Sexes" and it's purpose is not a fun exhibition - it's to show how a top female pro can stack up against an average male pro. they wouldn't do it 3 years in a row if it was just a man letting a women win a few games before thrashing her IMO.

i know people disagree so you don't have to debate what i said.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:53 PM
pretty good scoreline IMO. i know people will say he gave her the games but i don't agree. this event is labelled "The Battle of the Sexes" and it's purpose is not a fun exhibition - it's to show how a top female pro can stack up against an average male pro. they wouldn't do it 3 years in a row if it was just a man letting a women win a few games before thrashing her IMO.

i know people disagree so you don't have to debate what i said.
I agree with you, but I think the crowd likely had something to do with it as well. This guy is probably not at all used to playing in front of a couple thousand people. Let's face it, he's probably played in front of maybe 200 people at most. Playing in front of that kind of crowd, having a full set of line judges/ballboys/an umpire etc will take some getting used to.

Furthermore, he probably started out a bit nervous. He's got everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain from beating Patty Schnyder. Once he got used to his surroundings and settled down, the second set was more indicative of the difference between the two.

Still, not a bad showing from Patty at all :)

Xian
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:40 AM

i know people disagree so you don't have to debate what i said.exhebition is exhebition and I doubt you saw the match, sorry to say that but against a player like Schiessling Patty just could not play her game. I saw her match vs Mayr too and she played well there but again if Schiessling would have played more seriously Patty wouldnt have won ONE GAME I dont know why you dont get that

and btw it was an exhebition both very laughing and Schiessling partly didnt make a real service

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Patty :bigcry:

;)

vogus
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM
exhebition is exhebition and I doubt you saw the match, sorry to say that but against a player like Schiessling Patty just could not play her game. I saw her match vs Mayr too and she played well there but again if Schiessling would have played more seriously Patty wouldnt have won ONE GAME I dont know why you dont get that

and btw it was an exhebition both very laughing and Schiessling partly didnt make a real service

this sounds like a paranoid post from a biased observer. Patty won three games in a single set (in fact she led 3-2), which is more games than she wins in plenty of sets that she loses against women. You can't wish the score to be 6-0 6-0. The fact is, that wasn't the score. With the arguments your using, nobody is going to be convinced that Patty couldn't have won a single game. And tell me, was or was not Patrik Mayr a respected regional player in Austria? He was a pretty good player, no? Did he "give" Patty those 14 games she won against him as well? I seriously doubt it, since losing to Patty was career suicide for him.

selking
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM
That pretty good considering she isn't even one of the best people on the womens tour

Xian
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:37 PM
this sounds like a paranoid post from a biased observer. Patty won three games in a single set (in fact she led 3-2), which is more games than she wins in plenty of sets that she loses against women. You can't wish the score to be 6-0 6-0. The fact is, that wasn't the score. With the arguments your using, nobody is going to be convinced that Patty couldn't have won a single game. And tell me, was or was not Patrik Mayr a respected regional player in Austria? He was a pretty good player, no? Did he "give" Patty those 14 games she won against him as well? I seriously doubt it, since losing to Patty was career suicide for him.
Mayr a good even respected player :smash: :haha:
I know you obviously like Patty and so do I, but I dont know how you could imagine this scorline tells us that Patty would have any chances vs a pro ATP player, man where do you live? :confused:
As someone said this Mayr boy got his ranking playing some tournies in Nigeria and Dominican Republic etc etc, he isnt even ranked top 100 in national rankings
I dont say that Patty play(s)-ed bad yesterday or sth like that but be realistic (and dont tell me, I watched the match). Schiessling didnt serve that hard, he just had fun (Patty too and it was funny to watch) but as someone said it was an exho and Schiessling let her play but always had everything under control

vogus
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Schliessling may not have served "that hard" but he also made sure not to lose his serve, didnt he? I understand that all the games Patty won were on her OWN serve.

Xian
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Schiessling after match [...]" A very funny situation playing a girl in front of such a big crowd. I havenīt played such a good girl before and Patty showed that she is a very smart player. For me it was nice training for national Championships and about the scorline you know it was an unusual situation, she plays different than the opponents I normally play and I needed time to get her game but her game couldnīt harm me or any other pro player, men just play too powerful for women [...]
APA St.Anton Thursday December 9th