PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova and Venus to play exhibition in Chiang Mai, Thailand

jirobkk
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM
[TENNIS] Thailand’s top women players Tamarine Tanasugarn and Shuchanan Viratprasert will have the ideal start to their 2005 season when they face Wimbledon champions Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams in an exhibition in Chiang Mai in January.

Tamarine is set to renew her partnership with the world No 4 Sharapova when they take on Suchanan and Williams in a one-set doubles match in the TAT Tennis Invitational at the Chiang Mai 700th Anniversary Stadium on January 2.

“You could not imagine a better way to start the new season. To be involved in a match that has two top 10 players is good preparation for 2005,” said Tamarine who last year teamed with the Russian and won two doubles trophies in Tokyo and Luxembourg.

The special event will start with a dream match between reigning Wimbledon champion Sharapova and world No 9 Williams, who dominated the All England Club between 2000-2001. The match will be televised by Channel 7 and ESPN Star Sports from 3pm onwards to more than 50 countries.

It will be the first time ever that Thai fans can witness two top 10 female players in action in the Kingdom. In September, local tennis enthusiasts saw the world’s top two men players Roger Federer and Andy Roddick square off in the Thailand Open final.

While world No 66 Tamarine has played many big-names, it will be the first time Suchanan has faced a top 10 pro across the net. “I can hardly wait for the match. I’m not excited now but I will be when that moment comes,” said the 21-year-old Suchanan, ranked 191.

THE NATION

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the latest update - earlier news reports said the Masha vs Venus match would be played on 31st December.

By the way, will you be going to this exhibition event?

jirobkk
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the latest update - earlier news reports said the Masha vs Venus match would be played on 31st December.

By the way, will you be going to this exhibition event?
I will be only in welcome party on 30 Dec because i have to fly to Perth for Hopman Cup on 31 Dec.

Maria has schedule to have new year count down with our Prime Minister at Chiang Mai on 31 Dec. She arrive Bangkok on 29 Dec at 23:00. Venus will arrive on 30 Dec. at 23:00. Both will leave for Hong Kong on 3 Dec.

Vut
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:51 PM
:sad: too far from Bangkok!!!

Hope to watch Venus , Masha , Tammy and Jan on Thai TV :hearts:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:46 AM
I will be only in welcome party on 30 Dec because i have to fly to Perth for Hopman Cup on 31 Dec.
Wow! Have a great time in Perth!

By the way, where you will have your New Year countdown? And will you be going to the Australian Open?
Maria has schedule to have new year count down with our Prime Minister at Chiang Mai on 31 Dec.
Maybe one of the main reasons why the Thai Government chose to organise this exhibition event there is because Chiang Mai is Prime Minister's home-town?
Venus will arrive on 30 Dec. at 23:00.
So Venus won't be able to attend the welcoming party then?
Both will leave for Hong Kong on 3 January.
The Hong Kong 2005 exhibition sounds really attractive as 4 (such as Lena D, Venus, Masha and Serena) of my 5 fave players will be playing there.

jirobkk
Dec 9th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Wow! Have a great time in Perth!

By the way, where you will have your New Year countdown? And will you be going to the Australian Open?

Maybe one of the main reasons why the Thai Government chose to organise this exhibition event there is because Chiang Mai is Prime Minister's home-town?

So Venus won't be able to attend the welcoming party then?

The Hong Kong 2005 exhibition sounds really attractive as 4 (such as Lena D, Venus, Masha and Serena) of my 5 fave players will be playing there.I will have New Year countdown in airplane because I will leave Bangkok at 23:00 on 31 Dec. I don't go to AUS Open because I have to come back to work.

Only Maria will attend the welcome party.

Will you be going to see the exhibition in Chiang Mai ?

darrinbaker00
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:55 PM
This is why I have no sympathy for the players when they complain about the tour schedule being too long. The only reason most of them want a longer off-season is so they can fatten their wallets by playing more exhibition events. :fiery:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I will have New Year countdown in airplane because I will leave Bangkok at 23:00 on 31 Dec.
I think it will be very special then.
Will you be going to see the exhibition in Chiang Mai?
No. I'm more interested in the Hong Kong exhibition as I'd had a really good time in Hong Kong in January this year.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 10th, 2004, 01:40 AM
All these exhibitions :scared:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Maria has schedule to have new year count down with our Prime Minister at Chiang Mai on 31 Dec.
Will the Prime Minister still attend the New Year countdown in Chiang Mai after thousands of Thai people, including HM the King's grandson, and foreign tourists died of Tsunami or earthquake in Phuket and on other famous tourist islands yesterday?

Greenout
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Will the Prime Minister still attend the New Year countdown in Chiang Mai after thousands of Thai people, including HM the King's grandson, and foreign tourists died of Tsunami or earthquake in Phuket and on other famous tourist islands yesterday?

I was wondering about this too. Is this event still officially on?

Kurama
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM
May God Bless everyone In Southern Of Thailand

Sadka
Dec 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I hope it still on :sad:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM
May God Bless everyone In Southern Of Thailand
And also those in part of Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India.

Most of all my thoughts are with Khun Ploy Pailin and her mother, because her mother loves this son the most.

icequeen
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:21 PM

You can't be serious with this reply. Over 21,000 people have lost their lives a tennis exhibition should be the last thing on the top officials mine at this moment. We should not be so callous and heartless. My only hope is that the survivors will be able to get their lives back together after probably losing the majority of their families. This disaster is so difficult to accept. Revelations is becoming very true...rumors and rumors of wars and tidal waves..etc.

Paneru
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if
it is cancelled.

With this type of tragedy tennis will
be the last thing on anyone's mind
there and rightfully so.

Just gotta hope those devastated by all
of this are able to rebuild their lives.

Either way, the officials will make
the call as to what they feel is best.

lizchris
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:08 PM
They should either call the whole thing off or postpone it until later in 2005 and use it as some sort of a fundraiser to help the many victims affected by this disaster.

Vut
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I think this exhibition still on!!

Vut
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:24 PM
And also those in part of Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India.

Most of all my thoughts are with Khun Ploy Pailin and her mother, because her mother loves this son the most.
Why you knows Khun Ploy Pilin and her mother ????

backhanddtl4
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:51 PM
So the USA won't be able to get the match on TV, right?!

lizchris
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Possibly Fox Sports World.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

icequeen
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:44 PM
They should either call the whole thing off or postpone it until later in 2005 and use it as some sort of a fundraiser to help the many victims affected by this disaster.

I totally agree with your post.

icequeen
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I think this exhibition still on!!

Where will they play? I thought the place is almost gone. I just can't picture them playing tennis with what's going on there.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Why you knows Khun Ploy Pilin and her mother ????
I don't know them personally, but I have a great deal of admiration for Khun Ploy Pilin's music and acting talent (I just realised yesterday that when I went to the Acura Classic in San Diego in July-August, I forgot that Khun Ploy Pilin lives and studies in that city).

And I know that the Princess loves this son the most because she said so at variety talk show.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Where will they play?
The exhibition is scheduled to take place in Chiang Mai, which is located in the northern part of Thailand.

And the Tsunami happened in the southern part.

cheo23
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:14 AM
You can't be serious with this reply. Over 21,000 people have lost their lives a tennis exhibition should be the last thing on the top officials mine at this moment. We should not be so callous and heartless. My only hope is that the survivors will be able to get their lives back together after probably losing the majority of their families. This disaster is so difficult to accept. Revelations is becoming very true...rumors and rumors of wars and tidal waves..etc.
What Chapter is this Rumor & rumors of WARS & TIDAL WAVES does it
Say IN REVELATION
By the way..I haven't HEARD any "RUMORS of WARS"
ExPLAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Vut
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know them personally, but I have a great deal of admiration for Khun Ploy Pilin's music and acting talent (I just realised yesterday that when I went to the Acura Classic in San Diego in July-August, I forgot that Khun Ploy Pilin lives and studies in that city).

And I know that the Princess loves this son the most because she said so at variety talk show.
;)

icequeen
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM
What Chapter is this Rumor & rumors of WARS & TIDAL WAVES does it
Say IN REVELATION
By the way..I haven't HEARD any "RUMORS of WARS"
ExPLAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

You have not heard of the wars that's going on now, where have you been...Iraq, Israel and Palistine, Afganistans, the Sudans. Yes, these wars have been going on forever but the fact is that they are happening and now even more pronounced. I don't know how you missed that. Read the book of Relelations and you'll find it. I cannot remember the chap. and Verse but it's there.

cheo23
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM
You have not heard of the wars that's going on now, where have you been...Iraq, Israel and Palistine, Afganistans, the Sudans. Yes, these wars have been going on forever but the fact is that they are happening and now even more pronounced. I don't know how you missed that. Read the book of Relelations and you'll find it. I cannot remember the chap. and Verse but it's there.
LOL@U...I wouldn't Consider the in Iraq, ISRAEL & Palastine & AFGanistan "RUMORS of WARS" THEY ARE REAL WARS!!!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT IS "RUMORS OF WARS" THEN??????????????

icequeen
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:45 PM
LOL@U...I wouldn't Consider the in Iraq, ISRAEL & Palastine & AFGanistan "RUMORS of WARS" THEY ARE REAL WARS!!!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT IS "RUMORS OF WARS" THEN??????????????

All it means is that they will be a lot of wars. Geeze, stop being picky.

cheo23
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:48 PM
All it means is that they will be a lot of wars. Geeze, stop being picky.
I am NOT BEin PICKy..I Am Tryin To FIND THE FACTS OF U're "Rumors of WARS & TIDAL WAVES" IN REVELATION!
I will be readin REVELATION ON Saturday & Judge it MYself

thelittlestelf
Dec 28th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I love Tamarine. She's so intelligent :).

icequeen
Dec 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I am NOT BEin PICKy..I Am Tryin To FIND THE FACTS OF U're "Rumors of WARS & TIDAL WAVES" IN REVELATION!
I will be readin REVELATION ON Saturday & Judge it MYself

If you don't find it in Revelations check with your pastor/priest and ask him/her which book of the Bible it can be found but believe me it is in there. Also there's another part in the Bible that says that the next time that God comes for the world he will not drown it but he will burn it. Are you familiar with that part of the scripture? I know I am not crazy because I remember hearing all of these verses in Sunday School as a kid. Also, correct me if I am wrong about that war thing...However, I do not believe I am wrong.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled.
I heard from the Thai news that all New Year coundown events are cancelled.

Does this mean the Chiang Mai exhibition is already cancelled?

cadiac
Dec 29th, 2004, 06:21 AM
I heard from the Thai news that all New Year coundown events are cancelled.

Does this mean the Chiang Mai exhibition is already cancelled?

IMG had confirm to tne Thai that Maria and Venus are going to Thailand as her old plan.....but all the event that they are gonna be there such as gara dinner of countdown event they won't go there.....

jirobkk
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Sharapova, Venus are on their way

Published on December 29, 2004

[TENNIS] Stars Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams have confirmed that their exhibition match will go ahead this weekend despite the catastrophe in the south of the country, but two other have cancelled.

Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT) president Suwat Liptapunlop said he had been assured by sports management company IMG that the two Wimbledon champions would still come to Thailand, with Sharapova arriving late tonight and Williams tomorrow.

He said the Russian world No 4 and the American world No 9, who are scheduled to compete in a friendly exhibition in Chiang Mai on Sunday, had expressed their condolences over the great losses suffered in Thailand and the rest of Asia after the tsunami hit beach provinces in the south of the country.

There are, however, some changes to the programme for the tennis stars as two banquets have already been cancelled at the government’s request to mourn victims of the natural disaster. One of the cancelled banquets was for the 77th LTAT Anniversary tomorrow and the count-down to the new year with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in Chiang Mai.

Sharapova and Williams are committed to appear in a promotional video on local tourism and products. Suwat, also a deputy prime minister, aimed to take the opportunity to boost the tourism industry.

“Through the presentation of these two players, we can prove to the world that there are still other welcoming attractions in Thailand. Besides, the world will see the ability of Thai people to tackle the situation,” said Suwat.

The exhibition match, which is due to start at 3pm at Chiang Mai’s 700th Anniversary Stadium, will be broadcast all over the world by Star Sports. Sharapova is to visit a spa in Hua Hin, a beach resort south of Bangkok, on Friday to star in a promotional video, while Williams will stop by at a handicraft centre and a historic temple in Chiang Mai.
Lerpong Amsa-ngiam
The Nation

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 09:36 AM
IMG had confirm to tne Thai that Maria and Venus are going to Thailand as her old plan.....but all the event that they are gonna be there such as gara dinner of countdown event they won't go there.....
Thank you!

jogoss_78
Dec 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
thanks jirobkk

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 09:45 AM
One of the cancelled banquets was for the 77th LTAT Anniversary tomorrow
Thank you for the latest update!

So the welcoming party that you planned to attend, is already cancelled.

Anyway, have a nice trip to Perth and Happy New Year (in advance)!

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT) president Suwat Liptapunlop has just said on Thai TV that Masha Sharapova will donate US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I'm kinda torn here...on the one hand...I think they should cancel out of respect for the dead...but on the other hand...It's a chance to raise money for the survivors and to show the world that the country is still open for business...:confused:

cadiac
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT) president Suwat Liptapunlop has just said on Thai TV that Masha Sharapova will donate US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand.

YEAHH!!!!

I'am about to post it but Uou :o.....

:p

Paneru
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I'm kinda torn here...on the one hand...I think they should cancel out of respect for the dead...but on the other hand...It's a chance to raise money for the survivors and to show the world that the country is still open for business...:confused:

Well, I was thinking the same at first about having it
cancelled. However, as you stated this is a chance and
IMO becomes more about raising money to help the victims
and Thailand showing it's resolve while being much much less
about tennis and tennis stars.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM
YEAHH!!!!

I'am about to post it but Uou :o.....

:p
Actually I tried to post it 30 minutes ago but couldn't access the internet at that time.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:10 PM
It's a chance...to show the world that the country is still open for business...
It's interesting to see that some foreign tourists are still vacationing on beaches where over hundreds people died on Sunday, which is a good sign that the tourist industry will recover quite soon.

Greenout
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I think they should push it back and have it later on when things
settle down a bit- and do it in memory of everyone.

Things are just too weird in SouthEast Asia. Malaysia has cancelled
their NYE celebrations. Everything is still on here in Singapore; but
it will be really subdued. They're missing 18 people from Thailand.

The match is actually on Jan 2, 2005- and I'll watch it broadcasted
live. Maybe it won't be so bad since it's technically after New Year's
and people will be positive and want something to rouse their
spirits for a good cause.

jirobkk
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thank you for the latest update!

So the welcoming party that you planned to attend, is already cancelled.

Anyway, have a nice trip to Perth and Happy New Year (in advance)!Maria will arrive at midnight of today and will give an official interview to the press on 30 Dec at 13:00 pm at Oriantal hotel. I decided not to attend because I'm still sad about the diaster.:sad:

Wish me luck in Perth. And HNY to you too.:hearts:

jirobkk
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:32 PM
It's interesting to see that some foreign tourists are still vacationing on beaches where over hundreds people died on Sunday, which is a good sign that the tourist industry will recover quite soon.I'm also surprised about that.:eek:

Paneru
Dec 29th, 2004, 03:01 PM
It's interesting to see that some foreign tourists are still vacationing on beaches where over hundreds people died on Sunday, which is a good sign that the tourist industry will recover quite soon.

I was watching CNN this morning and they were talking with
some tourist's who've decided to stay for a while with their
families to help out in any way they can.

Also, saw on the Today Show an interview with some
Americans who were their on vacation who helped rescue
people in out of the water and on high rocks in their boat.

Vut
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM
:hearts: Maria donate US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand!!

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:37 PM
:hearts: Maria donate US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand!!How much is she getting for showing up in Thailand?

the cat
Dec 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM
This exho has me very nervous for Masha and Venus. They could contract any kind of disease just by breathing. I think it's foolish of them to go there so soon after the tragic tsunami did it's damage.

Paneru
Dec 29th, 2004, 07:45 PM
This exho has me very nervous for Masha and Venus. They could contract any kind of disease just by breathing. I think it's foolish of them to go there so soon after the tragic tsunami did it's damage.

Their is nothing foolish
about it! :rolleyes:

The officials wouldn't put either in harms way!
If they felt their would be danger to them
or anyone else they'd cancel.

Besides, this will help raise money to help
the survivors of that tragedy.

I understand concern but I feel worry
will be wasted just as those with the
whole thing about going to the Athens Games
with the state of the world.

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM
There are 500,000 dead, missing, or injured. A tennis exhibition isn't going to help this tragedy.
Maria is there for money, and that's the only reason she's there.

jacobruiz
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM
There are 500,000 dead, missing, or injured. A tennis exhibition isn't going to help this tragedy.
Why's Venus there?:confused:

I assume you also know this since you apparantly know Maria's every thought, emotion, and motivation.

mrush2004
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM

the tragedy is very sad, but where did you get this 500,000 figure from?
cause i have read reports that it is at 80,000 still a big number but saying 500,000 and i read 80,000 that is quite a big jump. i would like to read your article that states it 500,000. Thanks.

babolat#1
Dec 29th, 2004, 08:52 PM
It's a very good action from her! She is so :hearts:

becks
Dec 29th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I doubt that they would cancle it the The Chennai Open ATP tennis tournament in India is still being played and this is a place that was closer to the flood waters than this Thai exhibition tournament.

who know mabey playing close or being in a country thats mourning will still maria and Co. to donate their hefty exhibition appearence fee.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Wish me luck in Perth.
Best of luck to you in Perth!
And HNY to you too.
Thank you!
Maria will arrive at midnight of today and will give an official interview to the press on 30 Dec at 13:00 pm at Oriantal hotel.
I heard Masha was scheduled to arrive at 11pm (like you wrote earlier).

Is she staying at the Oriental Hotel?
I decided not to attend because I'm still sad about the diaster.
I'm also very sad - sometimes it makes me cry while I'm watching the news on Thai TV.

xin_hui
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:01 AM
actually, i dont know. i heard CNN correspondents say that actually in phuket, while an area is very affected, at the other areas, lives are going on as per normal. so maybe it would be ok to continue on with the tourney?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:06 AM
This exho has me very nervous for Masha and Venus. They could contract any kind of disease just by breathing. I think it's foolish of them to go there so soon after the tragic tsunami did it's damage.Obviously you don't know how far are Bangkok, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai away from Phuket and Phang Nga - it's hundreds kms away.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:13 AM
i heard CNN correspondents say that actually in phuket, while an area is very affected, at the other areas, lives are going on as per normal.
That's right: 60% of hotels in Phuket are not affected and tourists can still stay at those hotels.

Andy.
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Is the Exo near the disaster or is it further inland. People are critisizing Maria for going but Remember Venus is going to its not all about Masha

xin_hui
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM
and phuket is pretty far from chiangmai....one south and one north i believe....so it should be ok

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Yes, you're right.

But Masha isn't the only one: Most tennis players go to exhibition tournaments for money.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:21 AM
How much is she getting for showing up in Thailand?
Between US$200,000 and US$250,000.

(As you know, last year Thailand paid Anna K US$250,000).

jirobkk
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Best of luck to you in Perth!

Thank you!

I heard Masha was scheduled to arrive at 11pm (like you wrote earlier).

Is she staying at the Oriental Hotel?

I'm also very sad - sometimes it makes me cry while I'm watching the news on Thai TV.You are right. Like I posted before that maria arrived on 29 Dec at 23:00.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Thank you again.

(Just want to mention that this is my post #3333).

jirobkk
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/supachalasai/topic/S3206268/S3206268-0.jpg

Dec 30, 2005 : Maria and Tammy at Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT), Construction Ceremony of new LTAT Tennis Complex

10nisfanofruz
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:33 PM
A tennis exhibition isn't going to help this tragedy.

Maria is in Thailand for promoting Thai tourism and in the time like this, we can show the world that there are many other beautiful places to visit beside Phuket
and Phi Phi Island. :D ;)

Greenout
Dec 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Maria is in Thailand for promoting Thai tourism and in the time like this, we can show the world that there are many other beautiful places to visit beside Phuket
and Phi Phi Island. :D ;)

Koh Samui!

Let's not turn our backs on Thailand everyone.
Same reason that it's ok to visit HK- no more Sars.

You might even say it's even more important to go back
later on.

jirobkk
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.pantip.com/cafe/supachalasai/topic/S3206268/S3206268-5.jpg

( Sharapova with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra )

Sharapova donated US$10,000 to the victims of tsunami in Thailand.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:02 AM
Jiro, thanks a lot for Masha's pictures (I've just posted your pictures in the thread about Masha making donation).

Have a special New Year countdown tonight during your flight! (Don't be too sad).

jirobkk
Dec 31st, 2004, 08:12 AM
Jiro, thanks a lot for Masha's pictures (I've just posted your pictures in the thread about Masha making donation).

Have a special New Year countdown tonight during your flight! (Don't be too sad).Thank you. K-LinaŠpremFan :worship:

More about maria's news in Thailand:

Maria offers condolences

Published on December 31, 2004

[TENNIS] Reigning Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova of Russia consoled tsunami victims in Thailand and offered hope that they can put the nightmare behind them, while close friend Tamarine Tanasugarn pledged Bt100,000 to help survivors.

The 18-year-old Russian, who arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday night, gave US$10,000 to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday to help the victims.

“We live our life every second not knowing what is going to happen. The incident gave us a lesson. Hopefully things will get back to normal. Life must go on and we have to look for good things and be on the bright side,” said the world No 4 who is here for an exhibition with Venus Williams as well as to promote Thai tourism.

Sharapova was on a beach in California when the news about the earthquake and tsunami broke.

“I was shocked. This is unpredictable. Obviously many people have been devastated by this incident. However we have to live our lives and this exhibition tournament will still go on. I hope we can put on a good show,” she said.

Sharapova is hoping her match against Williams on Sunday at the 700th Anniversary Stadium in Chiang Mai will help her to tune up for the 2005 season.

After a month and a half break from tournament play, Sharapova has undergone intensive training for the new season and is expecting to better her world No 4 ranking and achieve another Wimbledon trophy.

“I have been practising seriously and want to take the match against Venus seriously. She is a great player. It will be a great match. 2004 has been amazing year for me. I hope to achieve greater things next year,” said the Russian who took part in a ceremony to lay the foundations of the new tennis stadium and office of the Lawn Tennis Association of Thailand (LTAT) in Muang Thong Thani on Thursday morning.

“Winning Wimbledon has been a dream since I was young and I would love to win it more and more. Being the world No 1 is one of the goals. However, I don’t want to put a lot of pressure on myself,” the 18-year-old said.

Meanwhile Tamarine said she would donate Bt100,000 to assist victims of the disaster that hit six southern cities. She said the money would be presented to Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop after the exhibition match in Chiang Mai. On Wednesday Paradorn Srichaphan donated Bt10,000.

Today, Sharapova will have lunch at the Hilton Resort in Hua Hin where she will also go to a spa. Then she will fly straight to Chiang Mai and stay in the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi.

Williams was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok last night and take a flight to Chiang Mai this morning. She will visit a handicraft village in the province on Saturday to shoot a tourism promotional video. The Sharapova-Williams match starts at 3pm on Sunday and can be seen on Channel 7 and Star Sports. It will be followed by a doubles match in which Sharapova teams up with old partner Tamarine against Williams and Thai No 2 Suchanan Viratprasert.

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the pictures and article. Very interesting (though Maria won't be 18 untill April!)

I wish we could get televised coverage of this in the U.S.!:(

VS Fan
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM
As bad as the Situation is in Thailand and much of south Asia, We need to put this in perspective.

In the US this year, FOUR strong hurricanes struck Florida and Alabama. Some local events were canceled or postponed, but life went on in the rest of the United States.

When tornadoes flattened large areas of Oklahoma in May, 1999, the US did not stop operating. Except in the affected area, sporting events went on as usual.

The World Series was interupted by a Major earthquake in 1989 in San Francisco, but was resumed in the same city within a few days.

The south coast of Thailand being hit, is similar to what happened in the US this Year,
but with a much greater loss of life. I think it is 2000+ in that country.

Life should go on. This will help return the affected area to normal.

Ty-Ty
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:43 PM
I don't know if this is old news, but on CNN they just stated that this exhibiton had been canceled and that everyone should go to church and pray or something...I think he said it was a national mourning day. That's what I heard...

Ty-Ty
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:47 PM
(Don't know why, just read what VS Fan said above and just thought i'd say) I was in the may OKlahoma Tornado...My house was leveled....I can kind of relate to the people that were affected in this storm.

Venus_Serena
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:01 PM
the match between Venus and Maria is scheduled to be on ??? ;)

jacobruiz
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:21 PM
As bad as the Situation is in Thailand and much of south Asia, We need to put this in perspective.

In the US this year, FOUR strong hurricanes struck Florida and Alabama. Some local events were canceled or postponed, but life went on in the rest of the United States.

When tornadoes flattened large areas of Oklahoma in May, 1999, the US did not stop operating. Except in the affected area, sporting events went on as usual.

The World Series was interupted by a Major earthquake in 1989 in San Francisco, but was resumed in the same city within a few days.

The south coast of Thailand being hit, is similar to what happened in the US this Year,
but with a much greater loss of life. I think it is 2000+ in that country.

Life should go on. This will help return the affected area to normal.
I think this is the new leader for insensitive post!

The death toll in Thailand alone is over 4,500, with thousands more missing. Over 125,000 people in the area have perished, 10's of thousands missing, millions homeless with no food or fresh water, people in outlying areas still waiting to be rescued, great difficulties just to get supplies to the victims, etc.

To compare this catastrophy to the U.S. to gain perspective can only show how fortunate we in the U.S. have been!

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:11 PM
I think this is the new leader for insensitive post!

The death toll in Thailand alone is over 4,500, with thousands more missing. Over 125,000 people in the area have perished, 10's of thousands missing, millions homeless with no food or fresh water, people in outlying areas still waiting to be rescued, great difficulties just to get supplies to the victims, etc.

To compare this catastrophy to the U.S. to gain perspective can only show how fortunate we in the U.S. have been!
I thaught the same think when I read it...:rolleyes:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Come on guys, give VSfan a break. I've seen much more insensitive posts on this board. I don't think that he or she was trying to downplay the magnitude of the disaster. The way I read it, he/she was just trying to say that you've got to be fair realistic and not expect the whole of Thailand and all its activities to come to a standstill, despite the terrible tragedy that hit it and other countries, etc., the same as the US would keep going (with appropriate mourning, dedications to the dead, etc, etc) if there was a natural disaster in one part of the country.

That's reasonable IMHO. In fact, telling Thailand that it must now stop everything would be more like punishing it than like helping it.

Nochi
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:47 AM
Everyone Welcome To Thailand !!!!!!! o(^__^)o nothing make u hesitated to come ..

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:52 AM
The death toll in Thailand alone is over 4,500, with thousands more missing.
And out of the 4,500 - 2,100 are Thai and 2,400 are foreign tourists.

The missing people figure is 6,100 - out of it 3,500 are from Sweden.
Over 125,000 people in the area have perished
But sadly up-to-date it is the latest dead toll figure for Indonesia alone.

Vut
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:23 AM
FRIENDLY MATCH: Sharp focus

Published on January 01, 2005

Venus arrives in Chiang Mai and immediately hits the court

The highly-determined Venus Williams underwent intensive training as soon as she arrived in Chiang Mai to prepare for her friendly match with Maria Sharapova tomorrow.

The former world No 1 touched down in Bangkok on Thursday night, then flew to Chiang Mai the next morning. She immediately headed to the Chiang Mai 700th Anniversary Stadium to sharpen her skills.

Under the strict surveillance of mother Oracene Price, Williams spent over three hours on court practising with former national junior player Pracharapol Khamsaman. She put some strenuous effort into her training and caused trouble for the Thai with explosive groundstrokes.

The world No 9 mostly focussed on her backhand and forehand technique.

When she flew into Bangkok on Thursday, Williams, a former Wimbledon and US Open champion, expressed sympathy for the tsunami victims. But she said she was excited about her first trip to the Kingdom and looked forward to the match against the Russian.

On Thursday night, Williams and her mother went shopping at the Night Plaza, Chiang Mai’s most famous night time shopping arcade. The tennis pro said she had heard that Thailand has beautiful clothes and as a fashion lover, she would like to buy some items and redesign them to match her personality.

Today, Williams will visit an umbrella industry centre in Sankampaeng to be a presenter in a promotional video on local tourism. She is also to stop by at the One Tambon One Product (OTOP) Centre.

Meanwhile, Sharapova and her entourage, including her father Yuri, yesterday moved to Hua Hin to use a famous spa at the Hilton Hotel. She spent one hour having a hot lavender oil massage to relax her muscles. Then she spent another hour having a face massage using Thai herbs, fruits and yoghurt. She later flew to Chiang Mai to join Williams and two Thai tennis stars Tamarine Tanasugarn and Suchanan Viraprasert.

On Sunday, Sharapova and Williams will conduct a clinic between 10am and noon 12pm at the Chiang Mai 700th Anniversary Stadium. The two will then compete in the TAT Tennis Invitational at 3pm, which will be their major warm-up before the news season. After the singles, Sharapova and Tamarine will pair up and take on Williams and Suchanan for the doubles match.

Vut
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:26 AM
VENUS IN THAILAND

http://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000002001.JPEG

http://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000002002.JPEG

http://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000002003.JPEG

http://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000002004.JPEG

http://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000002005.JPEG

akosijepoy
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
i hope they donate their "salary" here to the victims of the typhoon...or at least donate part of it to the victims...

God bless the souls of the victims... :(

edit:
i think it's called exhibition talent fee or professional fee not salary...sorry for that

Vut
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM
http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/010105_sport02.jpg

Maria Sharapova is all smiles as she arrives at Hilton and Spa Hua Hin Hotel in Prachuab Khiri Khan yesterday

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 1st, 2005, 08:55 AM
Vut, thank you very much!

Al
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Venus and an elephant

from online newspaper www.manager.co.thhttp://pics.manager.co.th/Images/548000000024401.JPEG

K-Dog
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Great to see Venus with a new racket out there. Like Luke Jensen said, those rackets that Venus and Serena are using are too powerful for their own good. These N-Codes might resolve that. Venus seems really serious!!

matija-seles
Jan 1st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Vee looks really good out there. I hope she will regain her form and kick some ass! GO VENUS!!!

P.S. She always looks so sweet! :)

Marcell
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Here is the link to another article.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050101/ap/d87bac6g4.html

Anik
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329476F44DT20050101212349.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329475F44DT20050101212240.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329474F44DT20050101211924.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329471F44DT20050101211724.jpg

Vut
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
I thinks Venus like Thailand so much :hearts:!!

Paneru
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:04 PM
I thinks Venus like Thailand so much :hearts:!!
Who wouldn't?!? :)

The culture & people
are so beautiful! :cool:

Pureracket
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
I can't wait to see her and Serena in Africa.

SzavayFi
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM
Ah looks like Venus is having a blast! :) I am so glad it seems like she is getting serious again. GO VENUS!

Venus Forever
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
Please say it isn't so that Venus has yet ANOTHER white outfit.

Normally her practice outfits are close to what she wears on court, and it looks like a mostly white outfit once again. :o

She hasn't worn color since the Summer of 2001, and oddly enough, that was the last GS she won. :mad:

Pureracket
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Please say it isn't so that Venus has yet ANOTHER white outfit.

Normally her practice outfits are close to what she wears on court, and it looks like a mostly white outfit once again. :o

She hasn't worn color since the Summer of 2001, and oddly enough, that was the last GS she won. :mad:LOL. .. you're right, but it's hot in that part of the country this time year.

Paneru
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
LOL. .. you're right, but it's hot in that part of the country this time year.

Exactly!

I personally could care less what
color she's wearing! :cool:

jacobruiz
Jan 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329476F44DT20050101212349.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329474F44DT20050101211924.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2005-01-01/U354P6T12D1329471F44DT20050101211724.jpg

Both Venus and Maria look like they're having a fantastic time.:hearts: I hope their presence in Thailand is at least providing a little pleasant distraction for tennis and celebrity fans there.

jirobkk
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:10 AM
EXHIBITION MATCH: Love, set, elephant

Published on January 02, 2005

Venus gets on a jumbo, falls for Thailand

World No 9 Venus Williams is so impressed with Thailand that she plans to come back in February for a holiday, perhaps with sister Serena.

After a tough training session on Friday, Williams and mother Oracene Price relaxed by going sightseeing around Chiang Mai yesterday and had the time of their life painting umbrellas and riding an elephant.

“It’s a big experience, one that I would never have dreamed of. I could never imagine that I would be riding an elephant in Thailand. There were so many great things to do that I didn’t have time for any training,’’ Williams said.

She is so overwhelmed by her first trip to Thailand that she feels she’s already a winner, even though she has to face Maria Sharapova in today’s exhibition match.

“I feel like I have already won. I have never had this kind of experience before because we don’t have things like this back home in California. My mother and I have said ever since we arrived at the airport that we like it here,’’ the winner of 31 WTA singles trophies said.

Williams, the 2001 Wimbledon and US Open champion, even made a phone call to her sisters including Serena, saying “You wouldn’t believe where I am now.”

She even set a plan to return after the Australian Open and might bring along Serena for a holiday, which will include a spa in Hua Hin.

She even showed interest in participating in October’s inaugural WTA Thailand Open if she receives an invitation.

The American star started her morning programme by visiting the umbrella village in Borsang sub-district where she had her shirt painted with a flying dragon. Her mother had her jeans painted in flowers and butterflies, which drew a large crowd of media and visitors.

Venus, a fashion design student with an interest in interior design, also painted a butterfly on a paper umbrella which will be displayed inside the umbrella painting centre.

Then she went elephant riding at the elephant training centre in Mae Rim district and fed bananas and sugar cane to some elephants. Sharapova enjoyed the same experience later in the afternoon.

Today, Williams will have these experiences behind her when she faces Sharapova in their initial match of the season. In their only meet on the WTA circuit, The Russian beat her 6-3 6-4 in Zurich last year.

“It is impossible to predict who will win. I have to play a wonderful player and it’s going to be a great experience,’’ the 24-year-old said.

After having a moderate 2004 season and failing to reach the quarter-finals of all Grand Slams except at Roland Garros due to injuries, Williams is looking forward to having a good year in 2005.

“I feel very good and am hitting the balls very well. Last year was a challenge for me. I learnt a lot about myself,’’ she said.

With the tremendous success of the Russian wave of players, the big question is whether the Williams sisters can dominate women’s tennis again?

“There are many good players who have worked really hard and deserve it. I myself have had good results, experience, knowledge and a great role in tennis. I couldn’t ask for a whole lot more, but I will. I think 2005 will be a great year for me.”

Williams and Sharapova will hold a clinic for Thai kids this morning. Their match starts at 3pm and will be beamed live on Channel 7 and Star Sports.

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam The Nation

Mrs. Peel
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:51 AM
:hearts: Venus:hearts: Great article!!!!!

EXHIBITION MATCH: Love, set, elephant

Published on January 02, 2005

Venus gets on a jumbo, falls for Thailand

World No 9 Venus Williams is so impressed with Thailand that she plans to come back in February for a holiday, perhaps with sister Serena.

After a tough training session on Friday, Williams and mother Oracene Price relaxed by going sightseeing around Chiang Mai yesterday and had the time of their life painting umbrellas and riding an elephant.

“It’s a big experience, one that I would never have dreamed of. I could never imagine that I would be riding an elephant in Thailand. There were so many great things to do that I didn’t have time for any training,’’ Williams said.

She is so overwhelmed by her first trip to Thailand that she feels she’s already a winner, even though she has to face Maria Sharapova in today’s exhibition match.

“I feel like I have already won. I have never had this kind of experience before because we don’t have things like this back home in California. My mother and I have said ever since we arrived at the airport that we like it here,’’ the winner of 31 WTA singles trophies said.

Williams, the 2001 Wimbledon and US Open champion, even made a phone call to her sisters including Serena, saying “You wouldn’t believe where I am now.”

She even set a plan to return after the Australian Open and might bring along Serena for a holiday, which will include a spa in Hua Hin.

She even showed interest in participating in October’s inaugural WTA Thailand Open if she receives an invitation.

The American star started her morning programme by visiting the umbrella village in Borsang sub-district where she had her shirt painted with a flying dragon. Her mother had her jeans painted in flowers and butterflies, which drew a large crowd of media and visitors.

Venus, a fashion design student with an interest in interior design, also painted a butterfly on a paper umbrella which will be displayed inside the umbrella painting centre.

Then she went elephant riding at the elephant training centre in Mae Rim district and fed bananas and sugar cane to some elephants. Sharapova enjoyed the same experience later in the afternoon.

Today, Williams will have these experiences behind her when she faces Sharapova in their initial match of the season. In their only meet on the WTA circuit, The Russian beat her 6-3 6-4 in Zurich last year.

“It is impossible to predict who will win. I have to play a wonderful player and it’s going to be a great experience,’’ the 24-year-old said.

After having a moderate 2004 season and failing to reach the quarter-finals of all Grand Slams except at Roland Garros due to injuries, Williams is looking forward to having a good year in 2005.

“I feel very good and am hitting the balls very well. Last year was a challenge for me. I learnt a lot about myself,’’ she said.

With the tremendous success of the Russian wave of players, the big question is whether the Williams sisters can dominate women’s tennis again?

“There are many good players who have worked really hard and deserve it. I myself have had good results, experience, knowledge and a great role in tennis. I couldn’t ask for a whole lot more, but I will. I think 2005 will be a great year for me.”

Williams and Sharapova will hold a clinic for Thai kids this morning. Their match starts at 3pm and will be beamed live on Channel 7 and Star Sports.

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam The Nation

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks, Jiro!

Are you having a good time in Perth?

jirobkk
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks, Jiro!

Are you having a good time in Perth?
Appreciated very much. I love coming here every year.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
I love coming here every year.
I haven't been to Perth yet. But in Australia I like visiting Sydney and Gold Coast the most.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
So...when is this match starting....soon right? :worship:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
It will start at 3pm local time - another hour.

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks. :kiss:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
And will you be able to see this match live?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Vut, Jiro and other Thai posters,

Can any of you verify the quoted comment below from icequeen's thread?

And do you know how much Masha is paid for this exhibition? (I read earlier that it's between US$200,000 and US$250,000). What about Venus? (I think Venus will be paid not less than US$200,000).

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=145333&page=1

This is what someone from Thailand said on another board:

Hi all,

This is my first time to post on this board but I have been reading for a couple of years now. Anyway, I'm from Thailand and I'm a VERY BIG Williams fan. Venus arrived in Thailand last night at about 11 pm ( Thailand time) I'm very angry with the media here. They]re constantly talking about Maria and hardly mention Venus.

They also say that Maria's very fussy because she requires lots of things but they don't mind because Maria is beautiful. The media in Thailand calls her 'Angel Maria' As for Venus, they say that she's very easy going and down to earth. They say that Venus can't behave like Maria cos Venus's black and not beautiful.!!! ( I swear they said this on TV!!!) and it made me really really angry.

Maria is also paid almost 4 times more than Venus. Anyway, sorry for my English as it's not my first language. And I'll keep you guys updated very soon.

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Ok- folks it's on tv, and it's sort of sunny/misty.
It looks to be about 40% full. The audience seems to be filled
with some white tourists, visiting Chinese tourists, and rich looking
Thai girls w/ expensive sunglasses.

xin_hui
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:32 AM
personal opinion.....venus just waved to the corwd when she appeared, but maria was totally lapping up the attention, turning circles during her wave:o

nouf
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
i want a live !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrr!

waratahsrock
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
any score updates?

Paneru
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
2all

Pureracket
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
Kabuke,
Where are you getting the scores?

Paneru
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM
ltmn

Pureracket
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
kabuke,
What's the web addy?

Paneru
3-2 Maria

Paneru
kabuke,
What's the web addy?
http://www.ltmn.com/forums/index.php?

Pureracket
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:03 AM
Kabuke,
Thanks.

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
personal opinion.....venus just waved to the corwd when she appeared, but maria was totally lapping up the attention, turning circles during her wave:o

Yeah, but she's now looking glum. Bags under Maria's eyes,
and IMHO looked as if she had a fight or cried prior to match.

Venus is into it at least. She smiles at her mistakes, and is
trying to make a good practice session out of this. Maria looks
like she wants to just leave. (It would help if she a least
quicked the pace up).

Venus looks happy. She looks to be happy to be out there.

Al
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
I 'm watching it live on local TV
BOth hit the ball well,but too much doubles
Venus forehand getting better
4-4 now

xin_hui
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, but she's now looking glum. Bags under Maria's eyes,
and IMHO looked as if she had a fight or cried prior to match.

Venus is into it at least. She smiles at her mistakes, and is
trying to make a good practice session out of this. Maria looks
like she wants to just leave. (It would help if she a least
quicked the pace up).

Venus looks happy. She looks to be happy to be out there.
well, she took so much in appearance fee she could at least look happier

Pureracket
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
5-4, Maria

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
well, she took so much in appearance fee she could at least look happier

Look at her cheeks. It's unusually red. It's not like there's a chance
of sunburn in Chiang Mai. I really suspect she had a fight with Yuri
and had a cry. Look at those circles below her eyes. Weird, really
weird.

Smile Maria, try - at least fake it or something.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:12 AM
weird.

Are you interested in the tennis here, or obssessing on Maria's eyes and cheeks or something? Get a grip......... :rolleyes:

~SunFlower~
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

:lol:

xin_hui
weird.

i dont want to scrutinise her that closely, coz i'm not a fan:tape:

~SunFlower~
Are you interested in the tennis here, or obssessing on Maria's eyes and cheeks or something? Get a grip......... :rolleyes:

well said :yeah:

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:16 AM
well said :yeah:

Well...it's a rather joyless match here. I've seen more
enthusiasm by a person waiting for the bus at the bus stop.

Venus is trying; but is so out of form, and Maria is not
particulary interested and can still hit returns in court. :tape:

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
masha serving for set

15-00 return error
15-15 forehand out
15-30 double fault #4
15-40 forehand wide :) double break point
30-40 return too long :(
40-40 forehand to net :(
Ad-40 return to net
40-40 forehand to net
40-Ad insideout forehand wide
40-40 forehand long
40-Ad double fault #5
40-40 good serve
Ad-40 forhand dtl winner
game.

masha wins 1st set 6-4

~SunFlower~

Ok, but remember Maria and Venus are having out there as I want them to so to speak. :)

Angel_Mars

Sheesh! I wish I could watch this "joyless match". Hey, maybe instead of telling us all about Maria's eys and cheeks, you could possibly share some scores since you get to watch? :wavey:

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Well...everyone who's not getting this match on tv. Your not missing much.
Hope the HK exhibition is better.

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Good luck to both girls but especially Masha. Please just relax and have fun girl.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
masha serving for set

15-00 return error
15-15 forehand out
15-30 double fault #4
Ad-40 return to net
40-40 forehand to net
40-40 forehand long
40-Ad double fault #5
40-40 good serve
Ad-40 forhand dtl winner
game.

masha wins 1st set 6-4

Thanks for the scores, keep 'em coming! :D

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Maria won the first set. Venus lost her serve with crappy serving and
bad returns. Maria didn't even have to move her feet during Venus's
serves. Ok- there. Match talk for you.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks! :worship:

waratahsrock
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

thanks, and keep it comming!

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
I think Venus fans should be keen to know that she looks happy to
be on court. Everybody has been going on about how un-interested
Venus has been in the past season.

Well...she's looking interested in her game today.

~SunFlower~
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
masha serving for set

15-00 return error
15-15 forehand out
15-30 double fault #4
Ad-40 return to net
40-40 forehand to net
40-40 forehand long
40-Ad double fault #5
40-40 good serve
Ad-40 forhand dtl winner
game.

masha wins 1st set 6-4

Many thanks to you! :hatoff:

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
I think Venus fans should be keen to know that she looks happy to
be on court. Everybody has been going on about how un-interested
Venus has been in the past season.

Well...she's looking interested in her game today.
'
She looked very happy in her McDonald's Tour exhibition match at Atlanta, too. Things must be going well in her life.....

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM
Masha Serving

00-15 amazing backhand crosscourt winner!!!
15-15 ACE
15-30 attempt at volley fails. goes to net.
30-30 volley to net by vee
40-30 return to net
game masha. dtl backhand

masha leads 2-0

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:29 AM
Well done Masha good to see Venus putting in a good showing to and having fun.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:30 AM
Vee serving

15-00 forehand long
15-15 forehand error
15-30 backhand long
15-40 nice return of serve to force error
game. great return of serve

Masha leads 3-0

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Vee serving

15-00 forehand long
15-15 forehand error
15-30 backhand long
15-40 nice return of serve to force error
game. great return of serve

Masha leads 3-0

Wow, Masha is picking up steam!

waratahsrock
is maria showing any signs of enjoyment?

Greenout
Venus not looking thrilled now. She lost her served by giving every
ball right into Maria's forehand hitting zone. 3-0

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
is maria showing any signs of enjoyment?

None.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
None.

Maria often looks very serious on the court........ I think it's that concentration of hers.........

waratahsrock
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
bugger. hopefully she's alrite.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Masha serving

15-00 return long
30-00 return wide
40-00 return to net
game masha. return out

masha leads 4-0

cheering for Venus...

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Thats just Maria she never smiles during matches she is very concentrated and doesnt show emotion she is very intense

Greenout
Venus seems to have lost a tad of her great anticipation of returns.
She hasn't really been near the returns off Maria's on the court. It's
not a matter of not getting to eat, Venus simply isn't aware of where
the ball is going to.

It's only an exhibition match, so I would'nt worry Venus fans.

Angel_Mars
Masha serving

15-00 return long
30-00 return wide
40-00 return to net
game masha. return out

masha leads 4-0

cheering for Venus...

Hmmmm is Maria hitting really hard to return shots, or is Venus' game just not there today?

villa
15-00 return long
30-00 return wide
40-00 return to net
game masha. return out
4-0

Venus looks like she's been training hard in the winter:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
This match seems like a huge error fest from Venus i hope she can improve in the coming weeks.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Vee serving

00-15 return winner
00-30 lucky winner
00-40 forehand long. veee...:((
15-40 return error
30-40 forced error on return
40-40 backhand approach winner
40-Ad forehand to net
game masha. forehand long.

masha leads 5-0

~SunFlower~
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hope Venus is having a good practice match with masha to learn mistakes prior her upcoming tournaments :)

venus quoted that she feels that she will have a good year of 2005. Venus fans have to have faith in her. :)

:)masha:)

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hmmmm is Maria hitting really hard to return shots, or is Venus' game just not there today?

Not really. Same stuff from Maria from the YEC.

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Not really. Same stuff from Maria from the YEC.

Maria played pretty well at the YEC!!! So, if she's doing the same stuff, she's doing well :D

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Im really feeling for Venus i hope she can put it together she is a great champ.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Masha serving for match

00-15 dtl winner
15-15 winner
30-15 nice dtl winner
30-30 double fault #6
30-40 double fault #7
game Vee. error on forhand

masha leads 5-1

remember last year at HK Vee was down 0-5 and came back to win?

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Latest score, anybody?

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Is anyone watching the match live. what do there new outfits look like.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Vee serving

15-00 masha complaining about a ball. she didnt like the ball.
30-00 return long
40-00 forehand long
40-15 "devastating return by sharapova" - commentator
40-30 Vee grabs new racket.
game vee. nice timing on shot.

Masha leads 5-2
*what's up with all thos missed first serves and double faults..oh well...

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
i took a pic of my tv...hehehe...here are some of it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/biodude_jepoy/venus/P1020008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/biodude_jepoy/venus/P1020006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/biodude_jepoy/venus/P1020065.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/biodude_jepoy/venus/P1020066.jpg

Andy.
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hopefully we will get a bit of a match for venus's sake i dont like to see her struggle even agianst my Favourite player

waratahsrock
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
thanks for the pics

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Masha serving again for match

15-00 return long
15-15 backhand to net
30-15 Misshit! :P
40-15 nice serve down the T. match points
40-30 double fault #8. Too wide.
40-40 very great return shot that caught maria by surprise.
40-Ad "forehand wide by a fraction" - commentator
game venus. forhand wide

Masha leads 5-3

Go VENUS!!! :D

Andy.
Masha is still wearing her YEC outfit i hope she will have a new one for the Aussie open

Angel_Mars
Masha serving again for match

15-00 return long
15-15 backhand to net
30-15 Misshit! :P
40-15 nice serve down the T. match points
40-30 double fault #8. Too wide.
40-40 very great return shot that caught maria by surprise.
40-Ad "forehand wide by a fraction" - commentator
game venus. forhand wide

Masha leads 5-3

Go VENUS!!! :D

Weird up and down set!

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Vee serving

00-15 double fault
00-30 great return
00-40 double fault YET AGAIN!!! blah. :(
game masha. double fault!!!

Masha wins
6-4 6-3

Angel_Mars
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
Vee serving

00-15 double fault
00-30 great return
00-40 double fault YET AGAIN!!! blah. :(
game masha. double fault!!!

Masha wins
6-4 6-3

Thanks for the scores! Way to go, Maria! :D

waratahsrock
Woohoo! Great way to begin the new year for Maria!

Andy.
Well done on the win Masha better form ahead i hope for Venus's sake

silverwhite
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Vee... I only watched the last bit of the match and from what I saw, she looked uncomfortable hitting her groundstrokes. Hopefully, it's just her not being used to the new racket.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Vee is wearing her '03 US Open dress.
They both have black ribbon pinned on their dress to show support for the victims of the tsunami.

Greenout
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Venus had a nice run toward the end breaking Maria's serve; but alas
she could not hold her own.

Oh- Maria finally smiled and waved.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Thats just Maria she never smiles during matches she is very concentrated and doesnt show emotion she is very intense

I find her rather miserable to watch for that reason. Mind you, I used to be a huge JCF fan, so I should be used to watching people look miserable. But somehow, I'm not. He's the exception to the rule. (considering my other male favourites: Nadal, Coria, etc)

Dan23
Interesting finish to the match..very scrappy :D
Well done Maria..

waratahsrock
Good to see them both showing support for the victims. When does the doubles match get underway? I'm off to bed now. Thanks for the updates akosijepoy!

akosijepoy
Vee... I only watched the last bit of the match and from what I saw, she looked uncomfortable hitting her groundstrokes. Hopefully, it's just her not being used to the new racket.

She used her old ones for this match. I guess she still is not ready with the new ones.

Lemonskin.
:D Masha!!! Great effort :cool:

Angel_Mars
Venus had a nice run toward the end breaking Maria's serve; but alas
she could not hold her own.

Oh- Maria finally smiled and waved.

At least the fans got to see a little more tennis, was looking like a bagel in the second set......

~SunFlower~
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the scores :yeah:

Is Masha getting a trophy?

~SunFlower~
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Off to bed :zzz:

New
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
They were showing scenes of player waiting for the trophy presentation and Maria was looking happy while meddling on her phone... on the background was Beyonce's "Crazy in love" and she was shaking her head a bit to the tune.. :lol: So cute! :lol:

jenny4
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
can someone do the scores for the doubles

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Hey, what Tamarine doing there?

cadiac
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM
About the Double
They doesn't on air a live match but will play the tape at 11.45 PM here in Thailand

WTF????? I want 2 watch Tammy play but !@#@###SAWWEQ$%$@#!^@$@# :mad:

cadiac
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:12 AM
Hey, what Tamarine doing there?

Tammy will play Double partnering with Masha against Venus partning with Suchanan :bounce:

SO that is the Open ceremony so all the players and directors and sponcers must be there
You know that RIGHT? :cuckoo:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
About the Double
They doesn't on air a live match but will play the tape at 11.45 PM here in Thailand
They won't show it live on cable TV either, is that right?

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
Tammy will play Double partnering with Masha against Venus partning with Suchanan :bounce:

SO that is the Open ceremony so all the players and directors and sponcers must be there
You know that RIGHT? :cuckoo:
I just wonder why, that's all! :rolleyes: Plus I don't know what Suchanan look like.

akosijepoy
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:20 AM
no :(

cadiac
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
I just wonder why, that's all! :rolleyes: Plus I don't know what Suchanan look like.

Sorry I J/K :p

They won't show it live on cable TV either, is that right?

Yeah!!!
Star Sports will play Hopman Cup (Delayed) :o

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Thank you!

Rub
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
i saw the whole match and venus was very disappointing to watch... sharapova really dominated her... venus was making so many mistakes... it seems she doesn't have that much confidence on her shots anymore... i thought she's going to be bageled in the 2nd set...

anyhow... sharapova is just getting better... this girl can really go a long way... :dance:

Vut
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:19 AM
:sad: Venus... but i likes her more and more :D
Congratulation Maria!!

Vut
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
About the Double

WTF????? I want 2 watch Tammy play but !@#@###SAWWEQ$%$@#!^@$@# :mad:
Better than Nothing! :o

jacobruiz
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Good job Maria! Keep on improving cause you've got what it takes to be a great champion.

I sure wish Venus would seek some help from a coach or even a shrink; she needs more than Oracene. Venus is too good a player to play like this.

10nisfanofruz
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
I can't wait to see her next match in HK. I hope it will be more fun because there are more players to compete with. ;) and I'm dying to see Elena D's serve
Is it better or worse ?:confused:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:34 AM
Before the match, while Masha's press conference was shown on TV, the Thai commentator said that he would give Masha's beauty 9.9 out of 10. Then during the match he said Masha has a very beautiful body. In the evening, while Masha is shown at the welcoming dinner, the commentator again said "This peson is really beautiful".

He also said that Venus in person is prettier than on TV. He said most people who have met Venus say that Venus is lovely, nice and friendly, which is different from when she is usually seen on TV.

He also said that Masha played the YEC very well beating everyone from #1 to #8 (but we know that Masha lost to Momo). And every time Mark (Masha's trainner) was shown, the commentator would say he is Masha's coach.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Thai Channel 5 sports news reported yesterday evening that Masha didn't say anything to the media people at the airport before leaving Thailand for Hong Kong (from what I saw on TV, she didn't even smile to the camera).

The same report said that Venus wasn't in a hurry. I saw her all smile and was talking to the media for quite long time. Venus said very nice things about Thailand and called it her second home.

Angel_Mars
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Thai Channel 5 sports news reported yesterday evening that Masha didn't say anything to the media people at the airport before leaving Thailand for Hong Kong (from what I saw on TV, she didn't even smile to the camera).

The same report said that Venus wasn't in a hurry. I saw her all smile and was talking to the media for quite long time. Venus said very nice things about Thailand and called it her second home.

Maybe Maria had been inundated with so many media people, doing so much promo and smiling for so many people, she was tired out from it and had nothing left? I could imagine it would get very tiring after awhile and once you did your part for a few days, enough would be enough.