PDA

View Full Version : She Got Game on U.S. TV tonight

Brian Stewart
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM
The tennis documentary "She Got Game" will be on TV tonight. If you have the Encore package, it's on Encore True Stories at 8 PM, and again at 4:50 AM. It's also on Sunday at 8 AM and 6:40 PM on the same channel.

Grohl
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
and I can't watch that

Mike_T
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Is that the full-unedited version? It’s 78 minutes, so with adverts that should be atleast 90 minutes. Can anyone do me DVD or MiniDV copy?

Wenddy
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Who got game?

Mike_T
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:18 AM
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif

Is that the full-unedited version? It’s 78 minutes, so with adverts that should be atleast 90 minutes. Can anyone do me DVD or MiniDV copy?C’mon guys, help out a starving Iroda orphan this Christmas :sad: She made an appearance in this doc, apparently.

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:30 AM
The tennis documentary "She Got Game" will be on TV tonight. If you have the Encore package, it's on Encore True Stories at 8 PM, and again at 4:50 AM. It's also on Sunday at 8 AM and 6:40 PM on the same channel.
Who is it about?

Mike_T
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Who is it about?“SHE GOT GAME (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_2706_rx.asp) contrasts the intriguing personal stories of tennis superstars like Americans Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati & Chanda Rubin, Switzerland’s Martina Hingis, and Russian Anna Kournikova with the struggles of journeyman players like Canada’s Sonya Jeyaseelan” …amongst others….

Wenddy
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Is Venus in there?

Denise4925
Dec 10th, 2004, 12:54 AM
“SHE GOT GAME (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_2706_rx.asp) contrasts the intriguing personal stories of tennis superstars like Americans Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati & Chanda Rubin, Switzerland’s Martina Hingis, and Russian Anna Kournikova with the struggles of journeyman players like Canada’s Sonya Jeyaseelan” …amongst others….
Thanks Mike :wavey:

Martian KC
Dec 10th, 2004, 02:24 AM
“SHE GOT GAME (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_2706_rx.asp) contrasts the intriguing personal stories of tennis superstars like Americans Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati & Chanda Rubin, Switzerland’s Martina Hingis, and Russian Anna Kournikova with the struggles of journeyman players like Canada’s Sonya Jeyaseelan” …amongst others….

Oh wow. Thanks!

brunof
Dec 10th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Sonya's got game. :bounce: I really want to see this, but no way am I going to pay for it.

Brian Stewart
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Ironically, it was through the machinations of the cable company that I got to see it. They raised the price of digital cable significantly, citing "programming costs", then to make it up to us, they gave us the Starz/Encore "free". Reading between the lines (or, more accurately, reading between the lyin's), they got a kickback from the S/E folks to sign up as many customers as possible, and we're paying for it with the increase.

Getting back to the documentary, the star is Sonya. She's featured throughout, covering from about the time she was top 50, to her slide due to injury, and her attempted comeback. It's the full 78-minute version, with no commercials. They also show, and interview, Iroda, Barbara Schett, Chanda, Jennifer, Serena, Jana Kandarr, Anke, Martina Hingis, Rene Simpson. They showed Martina and Anna after a doubles match, when Martina was presented a birthday cake, and the two took turns playfully threatening to hit each other with the cake.

There were some interesting bits. Babsi commented that she was happy she didn't get too high in the rankings, as she didn't want the constant media and fan attention and lack of privacy. Some interesting analysis by Benny Sims about what separates the very top players from the rest. A nice little segment when Sonya was on vacation in Munich, hanging out with Jana Kandarr. They were talking about how nice it was to have someone to be with, etc. It looked rather promising :o , but it turned out they're just friends. (Fantasis interruptus.)

Others who were interviewed for the film include Bud Collins, Mary Carillo, Reggie Jeyaseelan (Sonya's dad), Oracene, Denise Capriati, Sonya's coach (forgot his name), Sonya's physio, Sonya's agent, Jim Fuhse (gets quite a bit of airtime), and a guy from Tennis magazine. Anyone I missed?

Brian Stewart
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM
It's also on Thursday, on the same channel. I think the times are 8:50 AM and about 11:20 PM.

Mike_T
Dec 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
:help: Offering $30 USD (+UK shipping) for DVD or MiniDV copy :hehehe:

soos n the sis
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I already saw that four times, but it never gets old.

Dawn Marie
Dec 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM
thanks will tape it:)

Mike_T
Dec 12th, 2004, 09:43 PM
:help: Offering $30 USD (+UK shipping) for DVD or MiniDV copy :hehehe:

Now $35 USD :rolleyes:

salima
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Ok mike, ihave CD/DVDs for you, you know what, but I ned your adress, e-mail me or send me a pm here at WTAworld.