PDA

View Full Version : Billie Jean King retires as US Fed Cup coach, Zina to remain captain for 2005

raquel
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=7018089

Billie Jean King Retires as U.S. Fed Cup Coach
Tue Dec 7, 2004 10:54 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Billie Jean King cut her final tie with the U.S. Fed Cup team Tuesday when she retired as coach.

King led the U.S. to seven Fed Cup titles as a player and four as captain. She became coach last year as a transition while Zina Garrison took over as captain.

"My wonderful experiences with the U.S. Fed Cup team have provided me the special opportunity to contribute to the continued growth of women's sports and international team tennis," said King, one of the game's greats, in a statement.

"I have been very fortunate to play and work beside so many great players and coaches, including Zina - who is certain to have great success leading the team."

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) confirmed on Tuesday that Garrison will remain as captain and will lead the U.S. when they host Belgium in a quarter-final in April.

alfajeffster
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Congratulations to Billie Jean King, and thank you for giving so much back to the game we all love!

manu32
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
good news.....

Keith
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:52 PM
How gracious of her to retire after she was essentially fired.

S-T-E-V-E
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Finally...:rolleyes:

Pamela Shriver
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Pffffffffffffffft. Why wasn't I given the role of captaincy!? Think what giraffic heights we could reach to. The players mock love me after all.
Its giraffism prejudice.

Happy Guy
Dec 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Good news for Lindsay and Jennifer ;)

ChrisGermany
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Good news for US tennis (instead of Lindsay and Jenn) I suppose. Might be that we finally get all the big hitters together in one hell of a final: Russia vs. USA.

Wouldn´t this be the big final? PR-wise?

tennnisfannn
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM
How frustrating it must be to the the captain of the US team, a bunch of great players and cannot manage a win. With davenport, the williams and capriati, the singles are taken care of. Navratilova and raymond can hold their own in doubles as can the williams, lindsay/raymond combo.

HectorMagnus
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Good news for Lindsay and Jennifer ;)

Sure.... ;)

Chunchun
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Good Luck US Team! :worship:

Dana Marcy
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I love Billie no matter what happened in recent years but this is a good move for everybody. Zina has a good rapport with many of the current players so there should be no drama for Fed Cup. ;)

Verba
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Sorry, it seems that I don't know much about US team conflict with BJK...WWhere can I read about it?

Thanks.