PDA

View Full Version : Do you have trouble finding a good tennis partner? I PLAYED MY BEST TENNIS EVER TONIT

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Not easy to find a balanced partner, eh? :) first one played like 4 times before, then i gotta better one, but they cant really challenge me. The next guy has nice granstrokes but cant serve for shit. and this weekend he was ok, but still.... :rolleyes: I need someone who can serve very well otherwise i cant work on my return. it was nice to hear from my last partner that his wrist were hurting cause my serve is very fast, but i want to be challenged, and all the 'good' players seem to have locked in partners. Now i feel kinda obligated to play again with players, when in fact im pretty much giving them free lessons. Anyone else have trouble finding players on your level, be it hi or low?

Mr_Molik
Dec 7th, 2004, 11:42 AM
yes i feel like im always hitting with players worse than me. in my city theres 3 players better than me in my age group, the best is always hitting with older guys and the other 2 always hit with eachother. then theres a big gap between me and the next players.

crazillo
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Yes, definitely. In my group I think I am the best player and the coaches are buddies of mine, too, but they are way too good for me ATM. Not way, but a step. :)

So I have not really many players to practise with.

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Crazillo - YO, if you coming to france for RG, lets play... you choose surface, clay or hardcourt. Nice courts, and only 20 minutes from RG. I lose, you pay for beer, it works.

exoneuk
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM
This question's a bit of a gimme ;) Well for me certainly. I used to play with my brother but his serve is so Lena D (sorry!) that I have to stand a foot or so inside the baseline in order to actually hit it back!! Now I practice with my (wait for it!) brother's fiance's brother. His serve at least lets me stand behind the baseline!!!!

Now all I have to do is beat him.

I have the same problem with Squash though. One of my flatmates had never played before so I taught him how to play it. He's only be playing the game for about 2 months and he's getting annoyed that he's never beaten me once. I've been playing for 5 years. Let's do the math! :D Again, I play with my brother's fiance's brother and I lost my winning streak. My final year standings in squash: 45-4

Tennis though... yeah... Not telling you THAT one.

Vass22
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I suck, so YES.

crazillo
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Crazillo - YO, if you coming to france for RG, lets play... you choose surface, clay or hardcourt. Nice courts, and only 20 minutes from RG. I lose, you pay for beer, it works.

:lol: I am not thaaaaat good. But hey, that is a great thing. I will get back to you. :p

Spunky83
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yes, I do! Iīve gotta say that I am not the best player, I never got coaching lessons, but played in a club for a few years and now I step on the court every week but my groundstrokes are pretty heavy though not very precise and my serve is also very fast so the friends I am playing against are quite helpless in their return games and their serves are weak so I am either hitting countless return winners or service winners and the only time I lose a game is when I hit double faults which doesnīt even happen often.

The dumb thing is when I am playing against male friends I canīt do a thing, so I have to find a decent playing girl...any good female players here in my region? Itīs certainly not funny to stand like two meters in front of the baseline waiting for the serve of my oponnonent...I wanna play tie-breakers and lose matches!!! Sounds weird, but it is really hard to find a player who fits me...last time I won against my friend 6-1 6-3, a girl who has managed to win her tennis-tourney in her company sheīs working for :sad: and I am far from being a good player, so anyone?!?

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
so im not the only one... good. I think ill just bide my time. the good players will figure me out eventually. till then, ill just pound the shit out of the weaker players. I dont give anything away. i try my hardest all the time, anything less would be disrespectful

Fantastic
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:09 PM
At the start of the season, I was beating off hitting partners with a stick. I had so many people wanting to hit with me that I was having difficulty scheduling them. It got to a point where I was hitting twice a day - once in the morning before work and then in the late afternoon during normal training hours. Most of these players were not as good as me but I had no problems hitting with them because they could at least return the ball and keep me on my toes. I could have said no to some of them, but most of them are my friends and I happen to like my friends. Anyway, some of the players were much better than me, including this Slovakian girl I met a few months ago who used to compete against Daniela Hantuchova when they were juniors. She was unbelievably good and I couldn't believe that she wasn't playing professionally. (She wants to study at an American college and play college tennis first, but is learning English in Australia before she goes there.) Now, nobody wants to hit with me. I am literally begging for hitting partners because I am still playing competitions (as are they, I might add) and need to train hard for my style of tennis. They are not as good because they don't train. The players better than me, including the Slovakian girl, all stopped hitting with me because they think that I am not a good enough standard for them and told me. That isn't fair, considering that I can return the ball and always challenge them. Then again, I don't want to hit with people whose hearts aren't in it or don't want me around. My training routine is now erratic and in tatters, along with my form. I've requested to sit out competition for the last two weeks (so that I can just practice) but have had to keep playing because our team is short on players at the moment. I wanted to sit out this week too but someone else is having injury problems. Everybody wants to go on holidays or are injured. It's times like these that I rue making any commitments to play competition, but I just love tennis so much that I put up with it. I make the best of whatever form shows up on the weekends. Weekend competition is not my main focus though. It's winning the club championships at the end of the season that I'm looking forward to doing. I play competitions to keep up match practise. So yeah, I do have trouble finding a good, solid, reliable, keen hitting partner. I think I need to move.

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:15 PM
come to france, we'll find a good partner. The courts are cheap and very nice, beautiful clay... if youre coming to RG, lets us smash some balls around

Spunky83
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM
come to france, we'll find a good partner. The courts are cheap and very nice, beautiful clay... if youre coming to RG, lets us smash some balls around

Thatīs actually an interesting point you got there...a lot of people always say to me that they want to play with me too and I always donīt know what to say. I mean here we have to pay at least 12-16 Euros for an hour on a court and I just donīt want to spent the money for an hour of watching my opponent serving underhanded double faults while freezing my ass off. I just canīt play "hit and giggles"...I am mean, I know;)

I am so happy that I have at least a same level opponent/friend who often plays badminton against me and it is sooo much fun, cause itīs a real torture, always going three sets and beating the crap out of the ball. She is a former german junior trampoline-champion so she takes winning very seriously which besides of playing good is a very important factor...I have a friend who always kinda like stops playing and concentrating when she loses the first set, very annoying. I know that my badminton-friend also plays tennis occasionaly, we havenīt had the chance to play a match yet, but if she plays tennis like she plays badminton, itīs gonna be interesting. :lick:

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I pay 230 euros a year for as much tennis as i can play in a year, i can play every day. there are tons of hardcourts, 3 indoor courts in winter - we also play outside in winter when not raining and even... and there are about 6 beautiful clay courts. if you come to paris, ill take you out for a little lesson, eh? he he

Spunky83
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I pay 230 euros a year for as much tennis as i can play in a year, i can play every day. there are tons of hardcourts, 3 indoor courts in winter - we also play outside in winter when not raining and even... and there are about 6 beautiful clay courts. if you come to paris, ill take you out for a little lesson, eh? he he

Sounds very nice;)

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM
thats a nice price, right? Last year i met a japanese guys who plays futures tournaments, took him to the 'club' had a great time.. maybe seem him at RG again this year for some good quality tennis

Orion
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I found out during my engagement that my wife is a very good player, so I never have a difficult time finding a good tennis partner. It's important to find someone who is balanced in comparison to you. She has good baseline skills, I'm a full-court mover. Our friends sometimes play us in doubles, and they very much enjoy watching our working together.

Spunky83
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I found out during my engagement that my wife is a very good player, so I never have a difficult time finding a good tennis partner. It's important to find someone who is balanced in comparison to you. She has good baseline skills, I'm a full-court mover. Our friends sometimes play us in doubles, and they very much enjoy watching our working together.

wow...seems like it worked out pretty well for you two;)

Fantastic
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I want to train on clay. It would help my game so much. We play on grass in Australia. There is only one club in my city with clay courts and I'm not a member of it.

Spunky83
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I want to train on clay. It would help my game so much. We play on grass in Australia. There is only one club in my city with clay courts and I'm not a member of it.

Come to Germany and you will have plenty of clay courts, from slow to slowest;)...I canīt even imagine playing on grass...okay, we have artificial grass, but thatīs not that the same.

mr_zebra
Dec 7th, 2004, 05:32 PM
when in fact im pretty much giving them free lessons

Big ego ?

When i'm playing someone that i'm much better than, i use it as an opportunity to test new things - new patterns, drop shots, etc...
I learn from it, not them as much.

Grohl
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I play just for the fun, we go to tenniscentre "de boneput" where kim goes, in the summer I play outside together with my brother, my nephew and his girlfriend. In the winter I play with my niece, but she's breastfeeding her baby, so we have a stop at the moment! but we still go for a drink there 2 times a week

Come-on-kim
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Yes... either they are too weak, either I am too weak :p

Brαm
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I have a good tennis partner :D

Here are the scores of our last 4 matches

He won 7-5 7-6 (4)
I won 6-4 6-3
I won 4-6 6-3 6-4
He won 7-6 (5) 6-7 (3) 6-4

Pretty close huh? :cool:

"Sluggy"
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:29 PM
i am so proud of myself tonite. I played with my partner, wed only played one time before in the nite under lights, full moon in 6 degree weather, anyway it was hard to gauge how good he was. well i found out tonite he is good. was passing me left and right with nice groundstrokes. Though i served very well his return was excellent and though i had a few chances to win games i lost 6-0. anway i poured on the juice, danced around a lot, made a lot of noise and won 5-1 before we got replaced. I dont think ive ever come down from a deficit like that. anway it just shows if you really start hitting out and just taking it one point at a time you can do more than you seem capable of. He started missing shots, i hit more harder serves and caboom, my best match ever. Just wanted to share that. Never puss out on a match, cause you deny yourself the oppty to win.

"Sluggy"
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM
no comments? you'll should be worshipping me right now

Spunky83
Dec 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM
My comment? One hour of tennis is never enough for a match...love playing in the summer around nine, so all the old guys are already sleeping or sitting at home and you can play the whole match;)

"Sluggy"
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:00 AM
My comment? One hour of tennis is never enough for a match...love playing in the summer around nine, so all the old guys are already sleeping or sitting at home and you can play the whole match;)

Hey Spunky83 thanks for the message, I had my greatest day of tennis ever and just wanted someone to say something, Thank You. Playing late is tough, i get hungry :lick: . and you are right, there are always courts available late at nite. :bounce:

Fantastic
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM
The sun goes down at 7pm in summer where I live. In winter, it's even earlier - 5:30pm! You guys are so lucky to be able to play at 9pm. It's hard to find people who get off work earlier than 5pm. I usually end up hitting with high school kids or other coaches, but read my earlier post to find out why that's suddenly not good enough anymore. Haha.

"Sluggy"
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:59 PM
In summer the sun goes down at 10;:30 in escargotville but now its more like 5:30, but they have lights outdoors, and 3 average indoor courts soon to be heated. visit me at RG and we will play some ball

crazillo
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Nice thread :worship:

Next year I will come challenging you! :P

"Sluggy"
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Come on over Crazillo. Honestly, if i suck too much for you i know we can find one of those young guys who plays Futures tournaments on the grounds at Roland Garros. There are also many talented players at the tennis courts so we'll find someone to school you. At the least, you can practice your return of serve.. My serve is very good, its those What'ya callem, grounstrokes and volleys? i suck at.

Mercredi
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I tried Roger Federer, but his not at my level yet, I give him some years to mature then I'll give him a try again.

crazillo
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah, why not? :)