PDA

View Full Version : Aus Open Training Camp (Wildcard Play Off Draw Included)

TS
Dec 7th, 2004, 08:59 AM
http://www.tennisaustralia.com/pages/default.aspx?id=4&PageID=8916

Over 30 of Australia’s hottest young players have signed up to take part in the Australian Open Training Camp, which gets underway at Melbourne Park on Monday 6 December and will be followed 10 days later by a cut-throat playoff for a coveted Australian Open maindraw wildcard.

The players will train under the watchful eye some of the country’s top coaches, led by former world No.7 Peter McNamara. The coaches working with the players over the week include John Fitzgerald, Nicole Bradtke, Allan Stone and Lars Wahlgren .

The Training Camp concept was first introduced in the lead up to Australian Open 2003 and saw several Australian players go on to achieve their best ever results at their home Grand Slam that year including Peter Luczak, Evie Dominikovic and Sam Stosur, who all reached the third round, and Nicole Pratt the fourth.

Training Camp organiser, Peter McNamara, comments, "The Training Camp is about ensuring our Australian players are well prepared for the tough season ahead and go into the forthcoming Australian Open with an edge to their fitness and play.

"Training day-in day-out under the watchful eye of some of Australia’s leading coaches will be a stimulating and motivating environment for everyone taking part and the prospect of a cut-throat play-off for a coveted maindraw wildcard in only 10 days time will be a huge incentive to get the maximum out of the Camp."

The winners of the Training Camp playoff for wildcards for Australian Open 2004 were Todd Reid and Sam Stosur. Reid went on to reach the third round in his maindraw debut defeating Sargis Sargsian in a ‘gutsy’ five set battle, whilst Stosur reached the second round by defeating Croatia’s Silvija Talaja in straight sets.

The list of this year’s Australian Open Training Camp participants are:

MEN: Todd Woodbridge, Chris Guccione, Peter Luczak, Paul Baccanello, Nathan Healey, Jaymon Crabb, Domenic Marafiote, Raphael Durek, Robert Smeets, Marc Kimmich, Rameez Junaid, Adam Feeney, Shannon Nettle, Chris Letcher, Andrew Derer and Paul Hanley.

WOMEN: Evie Dominikovic, Jaslyn Hewitt, Olivia Lukaszewicz, Tiffany Welford, Daniella Dominikovic, Adriana Szili, Lara Picone, Lara Giltinan, Lauren Breadmore, Monique Adamczak, Casey Dellacqua, Cindy Watson, Christina Horiatopoulos, Lisa D’Amelio, Dubravka Cupac and Sophie Ferguson.

I assume out of those 16 players, Evie won't be playing as she has already won a WC. Wonder if all of the remaining 15 will be playing in the WC play off? :confused: Where's Emily Hewson? Mireille Dittmann? Nicole Kriz? Kate Pinchbeck? Natalie Tanevska?

I saw a snippet of the training camp on Channel 7 news yesterday...showed a little bit of the players practising. I saw Cindy Watson, and somebody who looked a lot like Lisa D'Amelio (probably Lisa D'Amelio) having a hit.

AUSBOY
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Training Camp Participants

Evie Dominikovic (128)
Tiffany Welford (281)
Sophie Ferguson (291)
Casey Dellacqua (292)
Cindy Watson (295)
Lauren Breadmore (333)
Jaslyn Hewitt (350)
Monique Adamczak (362)
Dubravka Cupac (407)
Daniella Dominikovic (435)
Christina Horiatopoulos (518)
Adriana Szili (526)
Lisa D’Amelio (562)
Lara Giltinan (683)
Lara Picone (798)
Olivia Lukaszewicz (831)

I have no problems with this participation list providing that the higher ranked players not selected for this camp are still eligible to play off for the wildcard which they are, but guess what, rankings seem to have been thrown out the door!!!!!

Once again Tennis Australia make up the rules as they go along.

You only need to look back a year or two to when Kristen Van Elden was the first alternate, and someone pulled out and all of a sudden Tennis Australia announced another wildcard to fill the Alternate position!

Players on the Alternate List that I know of for this year

Emily Hewson (401)
Mireille Dittmann (446)
Lisa D'Amelio (562)

There are only 8 players ranked higher than Hewson that are in need of a wildcard (incl. Wheeler) yet Emily didnt make the cut off, yet players ranked lower did! Maybe its 8 direct entry and 8 wildcards LOL

Evie isnt playing in the play off, thank god cos that would be ridiculous. Nicole and Alicia are making an appearance this week at some stage too.

Not sure if Nicole Kriz (514) & Kate Pinchbeck (605) are there. Kriz might still be injured.

Im sure Christina Wheeler (312) will get back for the play off

Im surprised Emily Hewson has been snubbed. She's ranked higher than Cupac, Szili, D.Dominikovic, etc. and is not old! She's only returned from injury and made a very successful comeback winning to $10K's this year.

Personally I'm going for veteran Cindy Watson. Would be happy if Hewitt or an alternate won it as well!!

TS
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:14 AM
It would be great if Cindy won this :) I'm sure she knows that if she doesn't, she won't be coming to Melbourne Park in January (chances are, not even in qualies).

nitocris_tiger
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:35 AM
I'm presuming therefore that the training camp and consequently the wildcard playoff is an invitation only event??

petey_pan
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM
When does the play off start? I think Tiffany's gonna win it

rusty_red_head
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
wouldn't be surprised if Adamzack wins this (but she is low on practice)

I think one of the young ones will win probably D Dominikovic

TS
Dec 13th, 2004, 05:19 AM
TA has announced the draw for the WC play-off :)

Here it is:

1-Tiffany Welford v Monique Adamczak :eek:
Dubravka Cupac v Adriana Szili

Olivia Lukaszewicz v Christina Horiatopoulos
4-Lauren Breadmore v Mireille Dittmann

3-Cindy Watson v Natasha Kersten
Lisa D'Amelio v Daniella Dominikovic

Lara Picone v Emily Hewson
2-Casey Dellacqua v Jaslyn Hewitt :eek:

lol, the top two seeds get the highest ranked non seeds :o

Interesting draw...Sophie Ferguson and Christina Wheeler are noteable absentees. Sophie must be carrying an injury, but playing this is a waste of time as they'll give her one anyway. As for Christina...well...who the fuck knows :rolleyes:

Hope Monique can squeeze out the win against Tiffany. It was only a few months ago that she would have been the favourite to win that match.

Good luck all, especially Daniella, Christina H and Monique :)

AUSBOY
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Interesting draw!

Very pleased to see that Emily, Mireille and Lisa got in as alternates after Sophie and Christina pulled out and Evie decided not to play, still not sure how they were on that list to start with!

They really should have 8 seeds in this event. Its seems ridiculous for Welford and Casey to play Monique and Jaslyn first up when u have Olivia vs Horiatopolous and Picone vs Hewson as other 1st round matches!

Hope to see a few upsets!

broncosven
Dec 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Sophie will get a WC as will Casey, Tiffany and Daniella if they dont win

Would love to see Jaslyn, Cindy or Monique with this

sure are some interesting match-ups . . . .

rusty_red_head
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Here are my picks

Monique Adamczak over Tiffany Welford (3 sets)
Dubravka Cupac over Adriana Szili (3 sets) wouldn't be surprised if szili won

Olivia Lukaszewicz d Christina Horiatopoulos (2 sets)
4-Lauren Breadmore d Mireille Dittmann (3 sets)

3-Cindy Watson ver Natasha Kersten (2sets)
Daniella Dominikovic over Lisa D'Amelio (2 sets)

Lara Picone over Emily Hewson (3 sets) its an upset)
Jaslyn Hewitt over 2-Casey Dellacqua (3 sets)

When does this start?
Is anyone going to watch!
I have know idea who I think will win this I recken it will be a shock!

Mr_Molik
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:33 AM
My (outrageous) picks:

R16
Monique def Tiffany
Dubz def Adriana
Olivia def Christina
Lauren def Mirielle

Cindy def Natasha
Daniella def Lisa
Emily def Lara
Casey def Jaslyn

QF
Monique def Dubz
Lauren def Olivia
Daniella def Cindy :eek:
Casey def Emily

SF
Monique def Lauren
Daniella def Casey :eek:

F
Danielle def Monique :eek:

TS
Dec 15th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Anyone going? FIrst round action started today...if anyone attended, give us a report if you can :)

I can't make it today or tomorrow due to work, but might go in on Friday (hangover permitting) for the semi's as I have a day off...

Mr_Molik
Dec 15th, 2004, 02:56 AM
dubz lost 7-5 in the 3rd after leading 6-3, 5-2 :bigcry: good fight adriana :)
other winners so far include dani d, monique, olivia and casey :yeah:

nitocris_tiger
Dec 15th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Australian Open Wildcard Play-Off

First Round Results December 15, 2004

Monique Adamczak d (1) Tiffany Welford 2-6 6-1 6-3

(2) Casey Dellacqua d Jaslyn Hewitt 7-6 6-3

Olivia Lukaszewicz d Christina Horiatopoulos 6-1 6-0

Daniella Dominikovic d Lisa D'Amelio 6-2 6-0

broncosven
Dec 15th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Those are quite straight forward . . . feel sorry for Dubz though

Reckon Jaslyn and Tiffany still will get a MD WC anyhow

AUSBOY
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Thought Adriana would upset Dubz, Adriana has always thrived the last two training camps, and this year is no different.

Surprised that Monique got through, but quite happy.

The other results are as expected, maybe the scorelines were a bit scarily dominant though.

AUSBOY
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Day of upsets at AO wildcard play-off

December 15, 2005

By Ian Burrows

In a surprising first day of results at the Australian Open wildcard play-off, the top seed in both the menís and womenís draws were bundled out.

Having only played a handful of matches in the second half of the year due to injury, Sydneysider Monique Adamczak upset womenís top seed Tiffany Welford 2-6 6-1 6-3, while experienced South Australian Shannon Nettle eliminated menís No.1 seed Chris Guccione.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM38216.4806029282
Shannon Nettle

Welford completely outclassed her opponent in the first set, but persistence paid off for 21-year-old Adamczak who forced the match into a third set before prevailing on her seventh match point.

"I played pretty well, I havenít played matches for a while because Iíve been out injured, so I was very pleased that I was able to come out and play well," said Adamczak.

In tomorrowís second round match Adamczak will face Adriana Szili, who defeated Dubravka Cupac of New South Wales 3-6 6-4 7-5.

"Iím just going to take each match as it comes and tomorrow I play Adriana Szili from South Australia and Iíve beaten her before so hopefully I can play that well again," she said.

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/image.aspx?assetId=RDM37936.474696713
Monique Adamczak

In a tight first round match in the menís draw, Nettle took the first set from the top seed Guccione in a tiebreak before claiming the win in straight sets 7-6 7-5.

"It was good to play a good bloke like Gooch," said Nettle. "I started making a few returns there and pushing him a little bit on his serve and he's got an awesome counter, so it was good to make a few returns and put a little bit of pressure on him.

"I just kept persisting and got over the line."

In the meantime two of Australiaís brightest young female prospects, Olivia Lukaszewicz and Daniela Dominikovic, made their presence felt with impressive first round wins.

Lukaszewicz was too good for Christina Horiatopolous 6-1 6-0, while Dominikovic outplayed Lisa DíAmelio 6-2 6-0.

"I havenít played her before (Horiatopolous) and I felt pretty good out there," said Lukaszewicz. "I just stayed solid and did what I had to do."

Dominikovic said she was looking forward to the week after her strong first up performance.

"I just felt confident going out there, I just wanted to play solid and play my game," she said.

WOMEN'S RESULTS DAY 1

Monique Adamczak (NSW) def Tiffany Welford (QLD) 26, 61, 63

Casey Dellacqua (WA) def Jaslyn Hewitt (SA) 76, 63

Lauren Breadmore (Vic) def Mireille Dittmann (Vic) 76, 36, 64

Olivia Lukaszewicz (SA) def Christina Horiatopoulos (NSW) 61, 60

Adriana Szili (SA) def Dubravka Cupac (NSW) 36, 64, 75

Daniela Dominikovic (NSW) def Lisa D'Amelio (Vic) 62, 60

Emily Hewson (NSW) def Lara Picione (NSW) 46, 63, 62

Cindy Watson (Vic) def Natasha Kersten (QLD) 63, 60

MEN'S RESULTS DAY 1

Shannon Nettle (SA) def Chris Guccionne (Vic) 76, 75

Rameez Junaid (Vic) def Jamon Crabb (WA) 26, 63, 61

Joel Kerley (SA) def Andrew Coelho (Vic) 63, 61

Robert Smeets (QLD) def Raphael Durek (NSW) 64, 61

Marc Kimmich (QLD) def Adam Feeney (NSW) 75, 61

Nathan Healey (NSW) def Domenic Marafiote (SA) 76, 64

Sadik Kadir (NSW) def Steven Goh (NSW) 75, 61

Andrew Derer (SA) def Chris Letcher (Vic) 63, 63

AUSBOY
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Bloody hell Mireille, thats like the 100th tiebreaker she has lost in a row, its unbelievable!!!

I think Cindy vs Daniela will be close tomorrow! I hope Cindy can get through

Adamczak should win, although 7 match points today is a concern!

Olivia vs Breadmore will last forever, Olivia should take it though, its not like Lauren has the game to overpower her.

Dellacqua should win easily

rusty_red_head
Dec 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Oliva (imagine how christina would have lost to henin!!!!!)
well done

I think tomorrow these people will win!
Szili over Adamzack (3 sets) szili will fight it out again!
Lukaszewicz over Breadmore (2 sets)
Dominikovic over Watson (3 sets)
Dellacqua over Hewson (3 sets)

I hope Lukasewicz can get to the final!

AUSBOY
Dec 15th, 2004, 07:18 AM
For the record Mireille has lost her last 7 tiebreakers and has lost 9 out of 10 for the year!

TS
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Monique :banana: :yeah: I knew she could pull it off....if she could play her cards right she should be able to make the final...fingers crossed :) Hope Tiffany can still score a WC though :)

Daniella :D It's gonna be a tough one against Cindy, hope she can pull it off!

Olivia :eek: Not so much surprised at the result, but the score....Christina is in a real lull.

Lauren :)

Dubz :( but well done Adriana...quite surprised at this result actually.

I think the winner will come from the bottom half. My picks are either Cindy Watson or Casey Dellacqua to take this thing out. My dark horse pick is Daniella Dominikovic.

I'm not working tomorrow, so I might actually be able to make it. If I do go, I will give a full report.

Experimentee
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I may go to this if I have time. Anyone know the approximate time it starts and finishes every day, or where to find that?

TS
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
My guess is about 10am? I'll probably rock up around that time...

Experimentee
Dec 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I had a feeling it was about that too :)

nitocris_tiger
Dec 15th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I'll prob go along for the final on Sat morning.
PM me if anyone else is going!

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:06 AM
TS is a champ and is smsing me the live scores

At midday its

Szili leads 6-4 0-1
Cindy up 5-4
Casey tied with Emily 5-5
Lauren up 4-3

Gowza
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM
thanx for the scores

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Cindy 7-6 1-2
Lauren 6-3 2-2
Adriana 6-4 3-5
Casey 7-6 1-1

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Adriana def Adamczak 6-4 7-5

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Cindy def Dani 7-6 6-2
Lauren def Olivia 6-3 6-4
Casey def Emily 7-6 6-4

Thanks again TS, expecting a long match report later hehehe

CCCP1
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks for scores. Lets hope TS gives us a report.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Adriana :yeah: :woohoo:

Mr_Molik
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:47 AM
monique :sad: i wish she didnt beat tiffany now :sad:
dani :sad:
cindy :yeah: i hope she wins now

TS
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:35 AM
hehe, no worries guys :p It was a good day today, all 4 matches were fairly competitive and they all gave a good effort. Some good tennis.

Adriana Szili d Monique Adamczak 6-4 7-5 :sad: :sad:

Poor Monique. She doesn't look 100% but full credit to Adriana, she sure is a great fighter. Mon got off to a flyer, leading 2-0 and points for 3-0. She had Adriana completely backed into a corner. I didn't come back until Adriana led 4-3, and was quite surprised to see such a turnaround in Adriana's game! She forced longer rallies and ran Monique around...Adriana doesn't have loads of power, but she makes up for it with speed (very quick! hustles well), quick hands and amazing fighting abilities. She fights on every point and seems to work the court well. I was quite impressed. After losing the first set Monique got off to another flying start. She led 4-1 and 5-3 in the second set, but as per usual her crackerjack groundies went off the boil and she gave the match away with silly unforced errors. Monique has great sportsmanship and was applauding Szili's play on quite a few occassions, always nice to see.

Monique is one of those players that leaves you confused. You look at her game and think 'why is she ranked 360???'. :confused: She really should have blown Adriana away today. If she ironed out the flaws in her game, she could definitely be a permanent fixture in the top 200. She's very impatient, but when those shots go in they are most impressive. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing Monique Adamczak at the Australian Open in 05.

Great play by Adriana Szili today :)

Adriana also provided a great quote today. First thing she said when she hopped off court, with a stern face, was 'Who do I play next?'. She was a like a boxer looking for their next knock out victim :lol:

Cindy Watson d Daniella Dominikovic 7-6(4) 6-2 :( :(

Dani is bonkers :D hehe. She'll be playing some great tennis for a few games, stunning you with awesome winners, and then go walkabout for another few games and lose the plot. This match was watched by Dani's mum and her sis Evie. Also a few other people milling about at various stages (Peter MacNamara, Allan Stone). Pretty sloppy match, but had it's various high points. At the beginning it was quite slack...both girls looked pretty disinterested actually :o It was a break-fest and I knew we'd be in for some great Dani one-liners after she cracked the shits within the first 3 points of the match :lol: Swearing in Croatian was a hit, as well as some cries of 'theres that beautiful forehand again Dani' after she'd smack one long. My personal fave tantrum was her cry of 'what great umpires!' after a call went against her. I have to say Daniella does have quite an impressive game. She needs to improve her backhand though, but her forehand, especially the motion, is beautiful. She hits some excellent winners and it's not hard to see that she's got a pretty good future ahead of her.

Cindy played solid tennis as always. No real weapons in her game, just great consistency and concentration. She didn't let Dani's sooking get to her and took full advantage. She's in good shape. Cindy can get overpowered quite easily though, but she's pretty quick on her feet and that helps her out a lot.

This match was clearly on Dani's racquet. With a bit more experience she'll be able to win these matches. I'd say she's a strong chance to get a WC anyway.

Casey Dellacqua d Emily Hewson 7-6 6-4 :(

A good effort from Emily. She was looking resplendent in her dikey blue shorts, whilst on the other side Casey was looking a little bigger than last time I saw her. Her game could definitely benefit if she shed some of that puppy fat she's carrying around. Still, she has an impressive game and it doesn't seem to hinder her too much. This was the first time I'd seen Emily play. She has beautiful touch, and a nice slice backhand but really needs to work on her serve which doesn't have much placement or pace. She doesn't have any weapons at all, just a great ability to counterpunch with deft slices, and then be able to work her opponent around the court. Casey on the other hand hits quite flat and can also mix up play well. She's a lefty and can hit some great winners from any angle. Emily was frustrating Casey today with her great gets (she's a good retriever) but it was clear who the better player was.

I think Emily has done well to get to 400, but I don't see her moving much higher than 350. A nice game, but nothing that will trouble many of the higher ranked girls from overseas. Casey needs to improve her on court attitude. She likes to throw the odd tantrum (dont they all?), and looks a bit silly sometimes....she did what she had to do today though.

Lauren Breadmore d Olivia Lukaszewicz 6-3 6-4 :) :sad:

I think this was the best match of the day. It was also the longest, took 2 and a half hours :eek:

Both players played some good tennis, and have improved lots since I last saw them. Olivia has added a lot more grunt to her game. She can smack those double fisted groundies when she wants to. She started off great, flying to 3-1 and was hitting lots of winners. It wasn't long before Lauren started picking up her game and finding out ways to rile up Livvy :lol: After watching a few points today I'm convinved that aside from Pratt, Lauren Breadmore is one of the best retrievers and counterpunchers in Oz! Balls rarely get past her and she chases everything down. She also has added a bit of power to her game, which is beneficial for her. She still cracks the shits when she's down, that's a trait that I don't see leaving her anytime soon. On the other hand, Olivia has a fantastic on court demeanor. Great concentration and poise for someon that is only 16! You have girls like Daniella, Casey and Lauren that throw fits when things aren't going right, but then others like Cindy, Olivia and Adriana who just take it all in their stride when things aren't working.

Both players were pretty fired up, with shouts of 'come on' every now and then. Lots and lots of LONG rallies, with Olivia usually committing an error after trying to smack a winner. Lauren's persistence seemed to pay off. The quality of the match seemed to dip toward the end though. Lauren wasted 2 match points at 6-3 5-3, and then when she served for it at 5-4 she needed a further 4 match points to take it. She committed an awful double fault on MP at one stage :o Still, I was quite impressed with this match and both girls. It's not hard to see why TA have such an interest in Olivia. I can't think of any 16 year olds in this country that would hit the ball like she does. Give her some more time, and she'll be right I think :) One to watch...but still LOTS of room for improvement in her game which is still developing. I wanted to Lauren to win this, because it's pretty clear that Olivia will probably get another WC.

Semi finals
Adriana Szili v Lauren Breadmore
Cindy Watson v Casey Dellacqua

I think if Casey wants to beat Cindy she'll need to pick up her game and her attitude I think. She seems a bit down, but I think she should be able to come through....I'll predict Casey in 3.

Lauren should get past Adriana, but a loss wouldn't surprise me. A surprising SF match up, but I hope Lauren can get through this, as this is the best opportunity she'll ever have to get a WC to the Oz Open main draw!!! I hope Lauren wins the whole thing.

Not much else to report....not many of the losing players from yesterday were around. They must have gone home in disgust ;) Christina Horiatopoulos was hanging about (with 2 Greek women, I assume her family), as was Evie who seemed to be enjoying the tennis (and she is looking really fit and healthy).

broncosven
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Either Casey or Cindy will win this . . . What if Olivia wins OH MY !!!

TS
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Either Casey or Cindy will win this . . . What if Olivia wins OH MY !!!

Uh, Olivia lost...hehe

Mr_Molik
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:51 AM
thanks for the gr8 report TS :worship:

CCCP1
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the excellent report

Mattographer
Dec 16th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Cindy! Best of luck for tomorrow against Casey. Please beat her! ;)

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Dream Final: Szilli vs Dellacqua, I hope they offer a WC to both finalists, they surely deserve it ;)

rusty_red_head
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the report TS!

I hope Szili can do well tomorrow My picks are
Szili over Breadmore (3 long sets)
Watson over Dellacqua (3 sets)

AUSBOY
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the report TS.

If Olivia cant beat Lauren she doesnt deserve a MD WC, and if she gets one now its an even bigger farce than last year! At least last year she had a win in a $25K main draw challenger under her belt, where as this yeah she went winless in the main draws!

Szili certainly is battling through, her game reminds me a lot of Hewitts! I think Szili is now assured of a qualifying WC.

Hats off to Cindy, I think she too has assured herself a qualifying WC at worst with her win today, it really was a very important match for her.

Dellacqua should have wiped Emily today, she really has gone backwards if u ask me, Im not even sure if she worthy of a MD WC anymore, but then again who else is there stepping up to take it?

If Cindy wipes Casey tomorrow, qualies might just be where Casey finds herself. On the other hand if Casey wipes Cindy, CIndy will be in qualies for sure hehe.

I'd like to see a Lauren vs Cindy final! Both the battlers deserve a chance over TA's favourites.

rusty_red_head
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:04 AM
umm Oliva didn't win a main draw match at a 25K last year it was the year before!

Szili is doing really well (she's beaten 2 players who she lost main draw matches to at the 25K's)

I agree with you about Casey AUSBOY (maybe Szili is better)

petey_pan
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:14 AM
GO CINDY! I think she has the most potential to get some wins in the main draw.... she's done it before

rated_next
Dec 16th, 2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for the report :) :)

nitocris_tiger
Dec 17th, 2004, 01:40 AM
SEMIFINALs, December 17, 2004
Lauren Breadmore (Vic) d Adriana Szili (SA) 6-2 6-1
Cindy Watson (Vic) d Casey Dellacqua (WA) 6-0 6-4

AUSBOY
Dec 17th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Cindy bagels Casey :o

An all Victorian final!! Both these girls deserve main draw wildcards, I hope the loser gets one too!

I'll be happy whoever wins cos they are both worthy of it.

The loser deserves to take Casey's MD WC and put Casey in qualies!!

AUSBOY
Dec 17th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Looking at the head to head, Cindy should have this in the bag, hopefully she wont choke! Have to say though that I cant recall Watson ever choking in any match before.

Watson is 4-0 this year over Breadmore

$10,000 Wellington (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100009393) FR Hard (O) C.WATSON def L.BREADMORE 6-4 6-1
$10,000 Benalla (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100009383) SF Grass (O) C.WATSON def L.BREADMORE 6-0 6-2
$50,000 Schenectady, NY (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100010055) Qualifying Hard (O) C.WATSON def L.BREADMORE 6-4 6-4
$25,000 Rockhampton (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100010413) QF Hard (O) C.WATSON def L.BREADMORE 6-0 4-6 6-3

Mr_Molik
Dec 17th, 2004, 01:58 AM
go cindy :worship:

TS
Dec 17th, 2004, 03:19 AM
awesome! Just the results I wanted :D

Neither of these girls was going to get a WC on their own merit, so this is great to see!

I would love to see Lauren win this, but that head to head record is really imposing...:o

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 17th, 2004, 03:26 AM
:( @ the results :p

broncosven
Dec 17th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Cmon Cindy !!!

Experimentee
Dec 17th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Just the final I wanted :D
Both of these girls probably wouldnt have had a chance at a main draw WC without these results, so its great to see. I think I want Lauren to win slightly more, but Cindy deserves it too.

I went on Friday and Terry pretty much summed it up although I'll write some comments of my own. It is so excruciating watching Lauren choke and waste match points. Lauren's match was the longest of the day even though it was only two sets, she manages to turn everything into a long grind. All those people in GM who have fits over players shouting 'come on' over double faults would have died if they ever saw Lauren, she did that pretty much every double fault Olivia hit :lol: Her game reminds me a lot of Pratt too. Olivia has a pretty good game but made too many errors. She kept hitting nice angles taking Lauren out of court but Lauren was too good a scrambler and got everything back.

Monique definitely looked the better player against Szili and i thought she would win easily when i saw the start. She was devastated after the loss, someone I know stumbled across her crying heavily in the bushes, with her coach saying she should have won because she was 'better stronger and more consistent' :sad:

Hewson is not that impressive IMO. She doesnt have any real weapons and not really a top scrambler either. Her BH slice could be effective on grass but is not good on any other surface. I liked Casey's groundstrokes but she's really out of shape physically. Pretty fat and doesnt run well at all.

Experimentee
Dec 17th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I was working today so i didnt go but apparently I missed out on a pretty good day! Especially in the mens, Healey vs Kimmich had some fireworks. Both players blowing up at the umpire, glaring, staring each other down, pumping fists in faces, hitting the ball 20% harder than normal straight at each other. When Kimmich was disputing a call, Healey was like 'shut up and get on with the game!', and at another point Kimmich said 'you fucking ******!' to Healey. Classic stuff, wish I could have been there :haha:

nitocris_tiger
Dec 18th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Cindy def Lauren 64 64.

Baseline slugfest. Some very long and entertaining points. Not a lot between the 2 but Cindy was more consistent and Lauren a few too many unforced errors on vital points especially in the 2nd set.

Experimentee
Dec 18th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Hey, did you manage to see the mens final? I'd like to know how that went, and what you can say about it.

Mattographer
Dec 18th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Cindy! :sad: in happy! :bounce: You deserved it! :kiss:

AUSBOY
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Well Done Cindy!!!! Once again she has managed to get a MD WC that was based on tournament play. She's such a composed and concentrated player, she focused on the job at hand and didnt let the occasion/prize make her nervous and choke.

Its been a long two year haul for Cindy to get back to this after her terrible treatment by Tennis Australia. When the national tennis body is against you it takes enormous will power and determination to be able to turn it round. I think for herself she had to have that meeting with Tennis Australia this year, she needed to get things off her chest so she could clear up a few matters and be able to concentrate more on her tennis and less on the politics. I just hope Cindy continues her rise up the ranks, it would be great to see her back in the top 150!

Thats 5-0 H2H over Lauren this year. Its been a good week for Lauren, I really hope she receives a main draw wildcard too, she certainly deserves one over Olivia!

Its good to see the veterans/oldies getting these wildcards, and I include Evie as she is a veteran now. Tennis Australia need to take note and acknowledge the perseverers of the tennis circuit more instead of kicking them to the curb when it comes to handing out WC's.

Experimentee
Dec 18th, 2004, 11:12 AM
^ agree with all of the above. Its ridiculous that TA always overlooks anyone over 20 for WC's, especially since compared to other countries, Aussies tend to come into their own later in their career rather than early.
Lauren should get a main draw WC too. She proved that she was better on these courts than most of the other wildcard contenders, I think she has a chance to win a match in the main draw if they let her in.

rated_next
Dec 18th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Well done Cindy :)

Mr_Molik
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:50 AM
yay cindy!!!! :D :D :D im sooo happy for her :D i just saw her being interviewed on slam after the final and she was speechless she looked soo happy

rusty_red_head
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
well done Cindy!

AUSBOY
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Cindy was quoted in the paper today saying "To earn it is much better than to be given it!"

broncosven
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Yah Cindy !!!

U Lil Ripper !!

broncosven
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:59 AM
It Says Kimmich won the men's WC !!

MLF
Dec 19th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the report Terry.

I was pleased to see Cindy win this and get the main draw wild card. I couldn't believe how Tennis Australia snubbed her last year by not giving her an AO main draw or qualies wild card especially as she was a 3rd rounder in 2002. She only got a last minute Sydney wild last yeara late withdrawal and whilst all the kids were getting thrashed on the main WTA Australian circuit she managed to take Rubin to 7-6 6-2. She is one of the few Aussie chicks out there who has proved on court that she can be competitive in WTA tour main draw matches.

So that means the Australian main draw contingent so far is Molik, Pratt, Stosur & Watson then?

I guess Clijsters & Mirza are looking good for two wild cards. That leaves 5 main draw ones up for grabs - who's likely to get 'em? I'd say Evie Dominkovic is guaranteed one, and I'd give Wheeler a WC too - she could get herself ready and fit by the Open.

TS
Dec 19th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Hey David :kiss:

Evie already has a WC. She got it by being the best performed Aussie in the 6 challenger series events over October/November (she won 4 out of the 6 events).

Mattographer
Dec 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM
And Sania Mirza will get one for Asian Wildcard :)

Gowza
Dec 20th, 2004, 12:26 AM
evie is soo frustrating, she always plays well in australia but the rest of the year is aweful.

broncosven
Dec 20th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Hopefully she can turn that around now after having a strong challenger series behind her !!