PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Right

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I don't mean to be prideful or perpetuate Serena's arrogance, but I remember a while back at a press conference, she told the reporters that, "I make people's careers." I think it's true. When players beat Serena, it's HUGE and without those wins, where would they be?

Sharapova (Wimbledon, WTA Champs)
Clijsters (WTA Champs)

and other wins over Serena started SERIOUS career advances

Henin-Hardenne (Charleston and French Open)

....something to think about

Yam
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Them players make their own careers by beating Serena!!!

bandabou
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Indeed....but itīs a BIGGER deal when you beat Serena, even this year, then when you beat say Lindsay.

martirogi
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM
what about jidkova no career there

tennis ace
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM

you know her name now that she beat serena but did you before?

icequeen
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I totally agree with Serena. People should not bash her because she tells the truth. All one has to do is beat a Williams sister and you are automatically on the tennis map.

icequeen
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:55 PM

Great answer.

hotandspicey
Dec 7th, 2004, 12:06 AM
I totally agree with Serena. People should not bash her because she tells the truth. All one has to do is beat a Williams sister and you are automatically on the tennis map.So very true!!!! And its mentioned by the commentators at every single tourny!!! :lol:

fammmmedspin
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:25 AM
it wouldn't have mattered to Maria if she had beaten Vera or Lindsay or Pam Shriver in those finals. For her winning is what mattered.

martirogi
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:27 AM

yes i did know her name before that and you're almost as arrogant as serena herself

exoneuk
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:36 AM
To put this bluntly: Bollocks.

I totally agree with Yam's simple comment stating that players make theie own career. Just because they beat Serena doesn't mean all of a sudden BANG - There's your career. You don't even need to beat Serena to have a career. They already have one. That's why they're on the tour.

Ugh.

Experimentee
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
it wouldn't have mattered to Maria if she had beaten Vera or Lindsay or Pam Shriver in those finals. For her winning is what mattered.

A lot of people on the board say that Maria got more attention and her Slam win is considered better than Myskina's or Kuznetsova's because she beat Serena to win it, while the other two beat Dementieva. That is quite true.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I dont believe beating Serena makes a person career...but it gives them a quite a few more headlines...that much is true...:D

Tichi
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:24 PM
A lot of people on the board say that Maria got more attention and her Slam win is considered better than Myskina's or Kuznetsova's because she beat Serena to win it, while the other two beat Dementieva. That is quite true.

Her slam win is better because she won Wimbledon, the ultimate GS tournament and because she's still so young.

goldenlox
Dec 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM
A 17 year olds wins Wimbledon, and she's pretty. That's news, no matter who she beats.
Nadia beat Serena also. Plus Alina.
It's Wimbledon and 17. That's what matters.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:34 PM
I totally agree with Serena. People should not bash her because she tells the truth. All one has to do is beat a Williams sister and you are automatically on the tennis map.

Don't be so presumptious: Remember when Jelena Dokic beat Hingis at Wimbledon a few years back? You make a name for yourself by beating a top player. That doesn't mean, however, that you will remain in the spotlight for a long time, just like Dokic.

selestribe
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:38 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: