PDA

View Full Version : The biggest upset in 2004? Which of these 10 shocked you the most...

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:07 AM
:wavey:

wateva
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM
none... anna chak def. myskina and gloria def. daniela should be the most shocking.

CCCP1
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I cant believe kleinova beat dementieva at wimbledon

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Casanova def. Sprem at RG was expected. K-lina had been sick leading up to Roland Garros and she obviously hadn't recovered. Out of that list I would say Jidkova def. S. Williams. I was open-mouthed when I went to the WTA Tour site the day she lost....

Dan23
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Yea I thought Gloria def. Hantuchova would be up there shock wise, but I voted anyhow :)

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Just Wondering, how can we see how other people voted? Some polls say that other people can see who you vote for. How come I can't see who other people voted for? :confused:

jonny84
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I said Claudine Schaul beating Davenport in Strasbourg.

When i heard that result I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Just Wondering, how can we see how other people voted? Some polls say that other people can see who you vote for. How come I can't see who other people voted for? :confused:

click the underlined digit in the poll result...

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Garbin def. Henin shouldn't be shocking. Justine came back to the game WAY to early and lost to a player who is good on clay.

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:16 AM
i think i voted wrongly. but justine losing to pertrova was just as bad as garbin beating her.

selestribe
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the biggest upsets were :

Australian Open Rd1 Jankovic def. Dementieva in straight sets and very quickly (Awful match, I felt very bad for Lena ...)
US Open Rd2 Chakvetadze def. Myskina (how strange was this result !!!)

I also think that Frazier def. Myskina in Wimbledon wasn't a good result for Vampire *lol*
Go Amy !:kiss:

crazillo
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Mandula def. Cappy, Garbin def. Henin-Hardenne (PAW-victory YAY!) and Laine def. Maleeva

Nochi
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM
they r all not distinguish match ....

Spunky83
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Personally? Garbin def. Justine

Experimentee
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:19 PM
A lot of those players were sick or coming back from injury, or on their weakest surface. So I voted for Razzano def Kuznetsova, as Sveta is good on grass and was in good form just winning Eastbourne, so the loss was totally unexpected, and she wasnt injured or sick or anything.

exoneuk
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Garbin versus Justine personally. I didn't think she would lose that one. To a higher ranked player maybe wouldn't have shocked me... Garbin at the time wasn't that high though.

I'm probably alone on this one but I didn't think Gloria def. Hantuchova was... all that shocking. It wasn't a total shock to be honest because Dani has kinda struggled this year sadly so I thought Gloria might have a good chance. Turns out I was right :sad:

Kuznetsova was a shock too, just not as much as Justine.

Xian
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Gloria d. Hantuchova but ok Dani is Dani ;)

Garbin d. Justine was :eek: but considering Justine´s form

personally Schaul d. Davenport (especially the bagel) :eek: :eek:

Spunky83
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Garbin d. Justine was :eek: but considering Justine´s form

Yeah, I know, but it was just such a disappointment (not disappointed by Justine) cause I was looking so forward to her comeback and everyone hoped that she would be alright, but all hope came to a surprising end :sad:

Chunchun
Dec 6th, 2004, 01:10 PM
nearly all :lol:

especially when Garbin def. Justine i was :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:!!!

lindsayno1
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
none

masha def lindsay wimbledon semis

*Jool*
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Lindsay's vs Claudine

mboyle
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
only one was shocking when one takes into account the top players' form at the time. That would be Serena vs. Jidkova. Serena had just won Shanghai, and would go on to final in LA, so what was up with losing to a "nobody"? Not only did she lose, she lost badly.:shrug:

schris
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Raymond def V.Williams 6-4, 7-6 ... Aus Open 3r

fammmmedspin
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I cant believe kleinova beat dementieva at wimbledon
Depends how you define a surprising win. A weak player playing brilliantly is one thing, Elena playing badly after her experience in the FO final was pretty inevitable. similarly Venus or Jen losing would have been a surprise in 2000-20002 but its the norm now.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Jidkova beats S.Williams 7-6 6-2 :) - biggest shock IMO
Doubt in 2002 Serena would have lost a set even if she was ill

Garbin vs Henin was also a big shock but Tathania played well and Justine wasn't ready

Schaul vs Davenport was a big shock has well and even more weird since Claudine's done nothing since and Lindsay's well gone up and up ;)

Washington vs Sharapova wasn't too surprising since Mashona was playing very well and Maria was poor then

Kleinova vs Dementieva was a shock in certain ways since Sandra had hardly won a match all year but Elena is always capable of having weird losses :rolleyes:

Razzano vs Kuznetsova was a shock cos of there rankings and form :eek:

Raymond vs V.Williams was a shock then but not anymore but Lisa played so well that day :D

Petrova vs Henin wasn't too surprising since Justine's performance at the US was poor and Nadia is dangerous

Casanova vs Sprem wasn't a big shock since Karolina's still inconsisent and Mariyam's very dangerous when playing well

Mandula vs Capriati wasn't a shock either since Jenny was in bad form at the time :sad: and Petra was playing well

jrm
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I know Lindsay isn't good on clay but the result stunned me!

The biggest suprise in tennis this year was defenetly Rochus/Malisse win at French in doubles!

Yonge
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Raymond def V.Williams 6-4, 7-6 ... Aus Open 3r

That's the one for me. I remember WTA World was just flooded with replies to the infamous "Lisa has 1 in 10000000 chances of beating Venus" thread. :lol:

jrm
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM
And where is Hantuchova losing to Gloria???

vogus
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:34 PM
biggest upset of the year was Raymond beating Venus at AO.

In hindsight it doesnt seem as big because Venus really started to suck later in the year.
But going into that match, neither Williams sister had lost to a player of Raymond's level at a GS tournie since '99.

selesbooz
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM

When i heard that result I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No one likes to talk about this because Davenport walks on water. To most people on this board this match never happen. :rolleyes:

azinna
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:28 PM
biggest upset of the year was Raymond beating Venus at AO.

In hindsight it doesnt seem as big because Venus really started to suck later in the year.
But going into that match, neither Williams sister had lost to a player of Raymond's level at a GS tournie since '99.

Ditto every word of Vogus on the matter. I think we're looking back at that match with 20/20, seeing Venus' year and thinking "of course." But Venus didn't look all that bad. Folks thought she'd make it to the quarters, at least. And Raymond? For several years now we kept waiting on her to give the Williams' consistent trouble. Who knew she'd decide to do so in a slam tournament?

jenny161185
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:32 PM
definately Raymond beating Venus and How is Sharapova def Serena not on that list! what a shock it was!

Helen Lawson
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM
The biggest upset to me was when Kitty Alexander landed the role as the evil ghost-woman in The Grudge. I mean, I was up for the past, and I was BRILLIANT at the Tooth Fairy in When Darkness Falls, so I thought I had like the evil woman spectre thing like cornered, but Kitty got it. I'm glad for her, she was great, but I was a little shocked I didn't get it. I did a cigarette ad instead and made the same money, so I'm over it.

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Definitely Jidkova's win over S. Williams ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I think, personally, that the Wimbledon Miracle (6-1 6-4) was the BIGGEST upset of the year. Without it, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Sharapova would have the career that she had.

Yam
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Washington def Sharapova, i mean WTF????? shocking defeat although maria was going through a bad patch but still.... :o :o :o :o :o

at least maria won 6-0 6-1 in their next and most recent meeting.

bandabou
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I think washington def maria is the biggest shock.....a grand-slam winner losing to Mashona? :eek: :bolt:

Yeah, Serena losing to Jidkova was shocking....but is it anymore shocking than Claudine Schaul beating Lindsay davenport, even on clay?

flyingmachine
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Tati beats Justine at Roland Garros. :sad:

hotandspicey
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Justine losing to Petrova was a shocker!! Fresh off her Olympic gold, I just knew that she was out to defend her USopen title! Or at least get to the semis. Venus losing to Raymond wasn't such a surprise. She was out the latter part of 03 with injury and hadn't played except for that exhibition.

SzavayFi
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:27 PM
When i saw that davenport lost to Shaul i was like. :eek:

Kurama
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Jidkova def S.Williams 7-6, 6-2 ... Linz 2r :worship:

Jakeev
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Definitely was shocked when Davenport had lost to Schual, Sharapova beating Serena at Wimbledon and Melanie Gloria coming out of absolute no where and beat Daniela Hantuchova in Quebec.

Experimentee
Dec 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM
only one was shocking when one takes into account the top players' form at the time. That would be Serena vs. Jidkova. Serena had just won Shanghai, and would go on to final in LA, so what was up with losing to a "nobody"? Not only did she lose, she lost badly.:shrug:

Serena was clearly ill and could barely continue the match or hold up her racquet, so its not shocking that she would lose that.

Experimentee
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I also think Gloria beating Hantuchova should be up there. Most people thought Dani wold reach the final or win, and although she is inconsistent she doesnt normally lose to players out of the top 100 let alone the top 1000! Gloria's best result before that was reaching the QF of a 10K, so that really came out of nowhere.

Sinnet
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Sharapova defeating Serena at the Wimby finals was the biggest upset around here; my entire family (HUGE tennis fans; we all gather around the TV set and watch the finals together) was upset by it. Serena just gave the match to her, wasn't playing like she was earlier that week. :(

Denise4925
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM
The biggest shock is not even on your list. Serena loses to Sharapova for Wimbledon title.

Denise4925
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Sharapova defeating Serena at the Wimby finals was the biggest upset around here; my entire family (HUGE tennis fans; we all gather around the TV set and watch the finals together) was upset by it. Serena just gave the match to her, wasn't playing like she was earlier that week. :(
Totally agree

Yam
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Depends what people mean by biggest shock? I mean at wimbledon Maria was ranked 15(and already top 10 by the time of the final). I mean it was a shock purely considering it was the wimbeldon final, 17 year old VS 2 time defending champ. So this match was "worldclass player" beat "worldclass player" whereas the other 10 matches in the poll was "worldclass player" loses to "relatively unknown".

PatM04
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:20 PM

When i heard that result I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:Same here! I think Gloria def. Daniela was huge upset...she had never even been heard of...lol!

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Depends what people mean by biggest shock? I mean at wimbledon Maria was ranked 15(and already top 10 by the time of the final). I mean it was a shock purely considering it was the wimbeldon final, 17 year old VS 2 time defending champ. So this match was "worldclass player" beat "worldclass player" whereas the other 10 matches in the poll was "worldclass player" loses to "relatively unknown".
But, isn't anyone on the professional tour a "worldclass player"? :confused:

Yam
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:24 PM
But, isn't anyone on the professional tour a "worldclass player"? :confused:

ok let me correct: "elite" player. is that better?

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:26 PM
ok let me correct: "elite" player. is that better?
Whatever rocks your boat. :)