PDA

View Full Version : What qualities do you like in a player?

~Rachel~
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, what qualities in a player make you become a fan of them or at least support them?

For me it would have to be:

-Fighting spirit
-Shot-making ability
-Personality off court
-Variety in their game

AjdeNate!
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Hard hitter.
Loves to play on dirt.
Never gives up.

SzavayFi
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Personality, Shot Makers, Athletisism, FIghting Spirit......idk

Caz
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Personality and fighting spirit, it also helps if they have something amusing (in a good way) about them or their game. I like to watch players who have a great game, but for me to count a player as one of my faves they have to possess the above qualities. I couldn't care less if they're not talented enough to be an all time great player, as long as they try their hardest and achieve the best they personally can.

Shooter
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
People are giving good answers to this question. Must say that I like different players for different reasons. Courage, fighting spirit, performance under pressure, good tacticians are all great mental qualities I like to see. I was reminded of this last summer when watching the young Russian Linetskaya play a couple of times. It's inspiring to watch a gutsy competitor like Evgenia.

But if I had to pick a single attribute I like to see in a player it would be natural talent. Not sure why. My favorite players haven't won lots of big titles, they are just fun to watch because they move and stroke the ball so beautifully. For men it was Illie Nastase, and for women Patty Schneider.

I also like watching players who are fast. Matts Wilander amazed me with his speed, and so did Vitas Gerulaitis. What women players are known for being fast?

darren cahill
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I am usually attracted to the players who dont show a ton of emotion when they play...like Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Ivan Lendl, Sampras...etc...i thought they were more interesting than the ones who cried all the time or screamed and yelled like McEnroe and connors...when Chris was playing, you couldnt tell what she was thinking, was she worried? nervous? Graf was the same way most of the time, you could sometimes get a read on her, but not all the time....thats the quality i like most. The minute a player starts getting the rep of being a nervous nellie or losing control a lot, i lose interest in them, theres no mystery.

KV
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Fighting spirit
Offensive display

darren cahill
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:32 PM
By Connors & Mcenroe do you mean your personal choice? They were very interesting to watch. Best returner in his days (one of the best ever) against the best serve & volleyer in his days (one of the best ever). Sold lots of tickets. High number of telly viewers worldwide. Mcenroe/Connors made more than a large number of people interested in tennis.

Fighting spirit
The way Mcenroe/Connors used to play.
of course i meant personal choice? Isnt that the question?:confused: what qualities do you like in a player? I like players who dont show a lot of emotion...i like the cold-steely players like Graf/ Evert...Lendl could get hot headed sometimes, but he didnt annoy me like McEnroe and Connors did. Plus i liked the muscular style Lendl and Graf had...they were tough, built players...big forehands (like pete), loved Lendl and Grafs groundstrokes...but unless i misunderstood the question, its based on what draws you yourself to a player, this is what attracts me, the players who dont show you a lot, that make me wonder whats going on inside their head, those who dont wear their emotions on their sleeve.

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:34 PM
talent.....class......elegance.......grace....."geniality"(in one word Navratilova)

grace=Sampras
geniality= McEnroe
talent= Rod Laver

Sampras+McEnroe+Rod Laver= Martina Navratilova

RedFilaJ-Cap#1
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:42 PM
fighting spirit, personality, talent, and the amount of emotion. There are more reasons I just can't think of them. Oh yeah becuase she is so awesome!!!

Q&A
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, what qualities in a player make you become a fan of them or at least support them?

-Fighting spirit
-Shot-making ability
-Personality off court
-Variety in their game

Thatís a great question, although sometimes, I am persistently asking myself why I like certain players. I have various reasons why I like/dislike players, it can vary from time to time, especially when I listen to the interviews they give.:)

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:56 PM
- Very hard hitters
- Takes risks
- Fighters
- Shot-making ability

deep bass
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Touch players, serve-volleyers (I'm British, serve-volley is a national requirement), athleticism, determination, players that show emotion.

vertigo
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
I love a fighting spirit, someone who is willing to battle against the odds, facing injuries etc. I also like someone to have opinions beyond the realms of tennis, and a player with a sense of humour on court. But the quality I most admire at the moment is a gracious loser, someone who always acknowledges an opponents skills- and this makes Amelie Mauresmo my favourite player, as I think she is awesome in this (and all!) respects.

Elldee
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Respect for others, hard hitting, agression, going for winners, maturity and modesty.

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM

-Fighting spirit
-Shot-making ability
-Personality off court
-Variety in their game

Grace.

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Grace.

Calimero it's the very first time I agree with you..........

bandabou
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Cali, you forgot one thing for your list,: Must from "upper-class"-origins....

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Calimero it's the very first time I agree with you..........

Why then is your favourite female player a "half-man" player (In Hingis speak)?
:confused:

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:32 PM

No. Must not be a lower-class braggart. Nor a middle-class braggart. Or a upper-class braggart.

GoDominique
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:38 PM
It depends.

- fighting spirit
- variety
- smart play
- good volleying
- slice
- making the most out of potential
- emotions on court
- weird technique
- weirdness in general :o
- losing 0-6 0-6 a lot

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Why then is your favourite female player a "half-man" player (In Hingis speak)?
:confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
that's the most non-sense post I have ever read

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:48 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
that's the most non-sense post I have ever read

You ain't seen nothing yet ....

JLDementieva
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:52 PM
-class
-whether they're nice to their fans
-I hate cockiness and arrogance
-respect toward others
-fighting spirit
-a good forehand

bandabou
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:01 PM
No. Must not be a lower-class braggart. Nor a middle-class braggart. Or a upper-class braggart.

Oh, o.k....so it REALLY is about the braggarts......

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Grace.

I suppose sheer talent is not so important for you, as your fav player played around the net and volleyed as naturally as a fish walks on a mountain path........ :lol:

she needed some volley tuition from the player who you know.....

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:21 PM
I suppose sheer talent is not so important for you, as your fav player played around the net and volleyed as naturally as a fish walks on a mountain path........ :lol:

she needed some volley tuition from the player who you know.....

Serve-and-volleyers are players who don't have solid ground-strokes.
Shriver, Navratilova, B. Schultz, Sukova come in to mind.

Stamp Paid
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Must be intense.
Must be a clutch player.
Must fist pump.

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Must be intense.
Must be a clutch player.
Must fist pump.

That's not enough.
With those criteria even Sharperova could qualify.
Try again!

tennislover
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Serve-and-volleyers are players who don't have solid ground-strokes.
Shriver, Navratilova, B. Schultz, Sukova come in to mind.

Shriver and Martina /had/have got terrific ground strokes!!!( go see that '88 wimbledon final and notice the perfection of Martina ground-strokes)
they are complete players.....

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Shriver and Martina /had/have got terrific ground strokes!!!( go see that '88 wimbledon final and notice the perfection of Martina ground-strokes)
they are complete players.....

You gave it completely away when you mentioned Shriver in this context. Considering only her groundstrokes she was never even among the top-100.

tennislover
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:37 AM
You gave it completely away when you mentioned Shriver in this context. Considering only her groundstrokes she was never even among the top-100.

Pam won a virginia slim championship beating your idol.....and she was always among top ten players (also in singles)

Stamp Paid
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:06 AM
That's not enough.
With those criteria even Sharperova could qualify.
Try again!
:scratch:Erm....the question was, "What qualities in a player make you become a fan of them?", and I dont remember asking for nor requiring your approval.

And "Sharperova" is one of my favorites, BTW.

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Pam won a virginia slim championship beating your idol.....and she was always among top ten players (also in singles)

Pam never won a virginia slim championship beating "my idol", Tennisdumbo ...

I'll give you a hint: Next time coin your lies better.

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:15 AM
:scratch:Erm....the question was, "What qualities in a player make you become a fan of them?", and I dont remember asking for nor requiring your approval. ...

You need not to ask. You won't get it anyway.

And "Sharperova" is one of my favorites, BTW.

OMG, another one of these aroused male teenagers.
Oh, IMG, what have you done ....

Doraemon
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Face : nothin else is nearly as important.

Chunchun
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:21 AM
A Good Serve

Stamp Paid
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:25 AM
OMG, another one of these aroused male teenagers.
Oh, IMG, what have you done .... So the only thing to be admired about Sharapova are her apparent "good looks"? :confused:

Wow, you sure are quick to judge me, especially seeing how Sharapova is the last thing I would call attractive. I like her game, intensity and her on court focus, thats it.

Your apparent pretentiousness and the fact that you seem to be highly judgmental shows your lack of maturity/life experience/class.

beauty_is_pink
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:47 AM
-Class
-Friendliness towards the fans
-Determination/Fighting spirit
-Amazing shots-making skill
-Personlaity on court (no cockiness)

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:55 AM
1. Class
2. Grace
3. Humble
4. Brave
5. Respect for fans
6. Intense
7. Focused
8. Fighting qualities
9. Down to Earth
10. Calm and rarely shows anger

Mr_Molik
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:18 AM
good funny personality and down to earth attitude
i couldnt give a fuck how they play tennis i have to like them as people first

Andy.
Dec 5th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Power player
Pretty helps but not hugely important
Fashion contious
Friendly
Fighting spirit ie will of a Champ
Nice smile

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:31 AM
1. Class
2. Grace
3. Humble
4. Brave
5. Respect for fans
6. Intense
7. Focused
8. Fighting qualities
9. Down to Earth
10. Calm and rarely shows anger

= Steffi Graf.

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:35 AM
So the only thing to be admired about Sharapova are her apparent "good looks"? :confused:

Wow, you sure are quick to judge me, especially seeing how Sharapova is the last thing I would call attractive. I like her game, intensity and her on court focus, thats it.

Your apparent pretentiousness and the fact that you seem to be highly judgmental shows your lack of maturity/life experience/class.

I don't need internet forums to show my maturity/life experience/class.
Provoking Sharapova fans a little bit is pure fun.
I like her too.
If only she had a single-handed backhand. And a bigger nose.

Vass22
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Personality (everywhere)
Guts on big points...
Backhands which are better than forehands...
Smart game
Their eyes....
Part-time "oaf"= intense matches, intense career.