PDA

View Full Version : spanish tennis fan: wild or not ?

Bette_Midler
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Seville crowd do their worst
By Andrew Baker
(Filed: 04/12/2004)

The Spanish do not come to tennis matches to spectate. They come to join in. They do not just get behind their players: they get in the way of the opposition.

fashion.telegraph

Halfway through the third set of the match between Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick, the American moved in for a crucial volley. Just as he made contact with the ball, a spectator gave a loud yell. Roddick missed his shot, and the crowd exulted.

But the umpire was having nothing of it and ordered the point to be replayed. Outraged, the Spanish crowd pointed at the tiny contingent of American fans. It was them, they cried. The Americans pointed back. It was a playground spat involving 26,000 people, 25,700 of whom were Spanish.

Another favourite trick is the wolf-whistle in the middle of the American's service action. A particularly persistent exponent of this was a tubby little boy in the VIP seats: his mum patted him on the head after every whistle.

There was nothing unexpected about all of this. The Spanish crowds have always been rowdy, and they reserve their worst behaviour for Davis Cup finals. The Australian players were given a horrible reception in the final in Barcelona four years ago. But this is nastier. This is personal and, unfortunately, political.

Hey, the Spanish say it is just enthusiasm, and that is a quality the Spanish have in spades. While watching tennis, they simultaneously do many other things with enthusiasm. They drink, smoke, argue, snog and have lengthy and loud mobile phone conversations.

They also play the tuba or the big bass drum. It is an interesting aspect of the security operation here that police officers will X-ray something as harmless as a notebook, while admitting an entire brass band with impunity.

The stadium is bizarre enough without musical accompaniment. The matches are being played at one end of the vast, rudimentary and optimistically named Estadio Olimpico. This edifice was built in Field of Dreams style in the hope of landing the Olympics of 2004.

They built it, but the Games did not come, and Sevillans have been wondering what to do with it ever since. Their latest brainwave has been to dump several tons of clay at one end, build temporary grand stands all over the football pitch, and have the Davis Cup come to town.

Great idea. Except that it is December. And in December even in southern Spain the weather can be on the chilly side. So this was not only the largest crowd to attend a Davis Cup final but also the coldest.

And the wettest. The organisers have sensibly erected a temporary roof over the court itself, but have not extended the coverage to the cheap seats. The rain in Spain falls mainly on the mean.

The players were alright; they could run around. That was the idea, at least, but Mardy Fish stopped running about halfway through the final set of his match against Carlos Moya when he realised that no matter how much effort he put in he was never going to out- manoeuvre his opponent.

Fish likened the experience to a particularly partisan college American football game, but he felt that he was now well qualified to advise his team-mates on the conditions they were about to encounter. "If somebody has a question about the court or the fans or how it is out there," Fish said, "I'll just yell and scream as loud as I can."

3 December 2004: Spain drop Ferrero in favour of young Nadal

http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/12/04/stdavi04.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/12/04/ixsport.html
------------------
------------------

What do you think - are Spanish fans wild or not?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

hablo
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM
what a bitter reporter ! :lol: :rolleyes:

go Spain go!!!

anabel
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM
ĄĄVAMOS!! :):):) :p

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
perfectly normal DC crowd ;)

just wait till US have to visit Chile, Argentina
then they will think yesterday was a snooze fest :tape:

Mattographer
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I've no respect them since the way they treated our Australian men players were so horrific! They're extremely rude than Parisian at Roland Garros, I'd must say.

Experimentee
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Yes the Spanish crowd are very loud and rude, they did the same thing to the Aussies. Its wasnt anything personal against the Americans like the writer is claiming, they are like that for everyone.

Caz
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
As TBE has already said, I'm watching in on TV right now, and they're not really acting any differently to any other Davis Cup crowd. It would be loud and rude if it were a normal tennis tournament where the players were playing for and representing only themselves, but Davis Cup home crowds are expected to be vocal and loudly supportive of their players, it's nothing personal to the oppositions team, they're just supporting their country.

There was nothing unexpected about all of this. The Spanish crowds have always been rowdy, and they reserve their worst behaviour for Davis Cup finals. The Australian players were given a horrible reception in the final in Barcelona four years ago. But this is nastier. This is personal and, unfortunately, political.
WHAT?!?!?! Was I watching different matches to this guy?!? Anyone else who's been watching this tie care to help me out with what I've obviously missed out on?!?! :confused:

Central
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I've no respect them since the way they treated our Australian men players were so horrific! They're extremely rude than Parisian at Roland Garros, I'd must say.
There are rumours (and photos, what the hell) that Aussie fans weren't too kind to Corretja last year, so, uh, I don't think any Spanish fan would take that post of yours very seriuosly. :)

And yeah, they are noisy, and a bit bad-behaved (I hate it whenever they clap after a first serve missing :confused: ), but I don't think it's something you won't see in any other DC match-up.

The political thing is just stupid.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM
The Spanish Davis Cup crowds are saints compared to there racist football crowds :rolleyes:

There behaviour isn't great but predictable :rolleyes: if there was a black player for the USA playing then it'd be much worse :sad:

Central
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:20 PM
The Spanish Davis Cup crowds are saints compared to there racist football crowds :rolleyes:

There behaviour isn't great but predictable :rolleyes: if there was a black player for the USA playing then it'd be much worse :sad:
:rolleyes:

DevilishAttitude
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Why the :rolleyes:

It's true and the crowd IMO are OK I wouldn't expect them to be perfect but there OK

Spunky83
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Well...27000 people, what do you expect? Itīs a crowd used to watch football (sorry, soccer;)). Just read the post-match interviews of Andy and Mardy and you will see that they were just impressed of the crowd and that it is pretty normal and they expected it this way. Of course, itīs not the nicest atmosphere to play tennis, but come on...as long as it isnīt "politically" and culturally insulting (Devilish...good point), itīs fine, those players are pros and they should learn to cope with it...the Bryan Bros. didnīt seem to care about it, straight sets win, even bagled the spanish team in the first set;)

Central
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:32 PM
You know? I found a thread over there, it's about a New Year's eve... I'm sure you could manage to find the way to make it talk about racism.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:42 PM
You know? I found a thread over there, it's about a New Year's eve... I'm sure you could manage to find the way to make it talk about racism.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I only have ever talked about racism in about 10 of 800 posts so you really are over-reacting :rolleyes:

Why are you getting so annoyed about it :confused: truth hurts I suppose :tape:

Central
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:00 PM
So, this is the moment when I'm called racist... predicatble.

Look, I was just saying that perhaps you didn't need to mix up the racist thing with the crowd booing Andy.
If you want to call them rude, do it; I'll say they are, but as much as 90% of the rest of the crowds.

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:00 PM
How about French crowd in Davis Cup matches?????? :scared: :scared: :scared:

How different are Wimbedon crowds!!!!! :angel: :angel: :angel:
The most beautiful thing in wimbledon is the crowd.......

Crazy Canuck
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Some people would like to yell "Anti American!" at every little thing that doesn't go their way. This idiot is no different.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:54 PM
How about French crowd in Davis Cup matches?????? :scared: :scared: :scared:

How different are Wimbedon crowds!!!!! :angel: :angel: :angel:
The most beautiful thing in wimbledon is the crowd.......
If by "beautiful" you mean "boring", I concur.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:13 PM

Look, I was just saying that perhaps you didn't need to mix up the racist thing with the crowd booing Andy.
If you want to call them rude, do it; I'll say they are, but as much as 90% of the rest of the crowds.

I didn't call you racist :rolleyes:

Maybe I didn't need to bring up racism and I agree with you about the rest so end of argument hopefully ;)

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:17 PM
If by "beautiful" you mean "boring", I concur.

boring????? OMG not at all
in wimbledon even the silence sounds

[S@nti]
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:24 PM
what? its a great crowd ;) I was there today :p

Daniel
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM
santi :wavey:

Experimentee
Dec 5th, 2004, 11:52 AM

He was talking about when the Spanish were racist towards black football players. I dont think you can say for sure that they wont be racist as well if a black tennis player was playing DC.

I've seen a lot of DC ties and most crowds are loud but not rude like the Spanish. Theres a difference between the two. In Australia the crowd doesnt boo anyone, the worst thing they ever did was when a few people did some heckling, but that was just a small group, and some people went over and got it under control. In Sweden and Britain they are also very polite. Its ok if they cheer loudly but its annoying when they disrespect the opposing team.