PDA

View Full Version : Best Doubles Matches

UDiTY
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
What are some of the best doubles matches of the last few years!?!?

I'd have to say Martina/Monica def. Venus/Serena 1st round Sydney 2001, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(2). The sisters had 4 match points. But it was an excellent match, truly exciting.

deep bass
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Vera/Nastya - Bartoli/Loit at the Fed Cup. A close nail-biter.

NicoMary
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Kournikova Rubin/ Williams bis Wimbly

j_dementieva27
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
elena dementieva/lina krasnoroutskaya def. the williams sister in the wimbledon quarterfinals (i think) in 2003

really really good match that was shown during rain delays... the volley rallies were just amazing and the russians played nearly perfect doubles... and the reason it was so close- the williams sisters ALSO played nearly perfect doubles...

!<blocparty>!
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
elena dementieva/lina krasnoroutskaya def. the williams sister in the wimbledon quarterfinals (i think) in 2003

really really good match that was shown during rain delays... the volley rallies were just amazing and the russians played nearly perfect doubles... and the reason it was so close- the williams sisters ALSO played nearly perfect doubles...
I saw that match :hearts: I remember it for Lina's amazing backhand.
This years wimbledon also had VERY good match. But I have a crap memory when it comes to doubles.:rolleyes:

*Jool*
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Martinez/Sanchez def. MJ & G Fernandez (was it Gigi ? I can't remember) in Fed Cup 96, it went 11/9 in the third or something , someone remembers better ?

TonyP
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
Hingis/Novotna def. Davenport/Zvereva in the finals of the U.S. Open in 1998, giving Hingis a calendar year grand slam in doubles. In included the single best point I ever saw in a doubles match, won by a Hingis backhand down the line.

Hercules
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
Fed Cup SF, Madrid

R5 - WFERNANDEZ (http://www.fedcup.com/teams/player.asp?Player=20003072) / RAYMOND (http://www.fedcup.com/teams/player.asp?Player=20000238) partnering SANCHEZ-VICARIO (http://www.fedcup.com/teams/player.asp?player=20001427)http://www.fedcup.com/shared/images/flags/USA.gif (http://www.fedcup.com/teams/team.asp?team=USA)6-4 6-7(5) 11-9

It was a wonderful and exciting match :D

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Hingis/Seles def. S. Williams/V. Williams in first round of Sydney 2001!

I remember that night I provided live scores for people who in Sanex WTA Tour Chat room (DigiChat) ;)

Vut
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Widjaja / Vento Kabshi def. Tanasugarn / Prakusya in 3 sets ( last set 16-14 or something like that) at WIMBLEDON 04 ... the longest match in women's double!!
and ... FED CUP FINAL This year!!

AK-DH Fan
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Kournikova Rubin/ Williams bis Wimbly

Luved that match:) Alot of fun to watch. Wish Anna & Chanda won though. Wasn't that a semi. I think they could've won the whole thing too. But Venus & Serena were a little too tough

David Barker
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Saw Lina and Elena beat Venus and Serena too! Lina K was the best player on court, guided by the brill Elena. At 5-5 Elena serving 15-30 down Lina hit a fabulous back-hand volley down the centre for a winner- definitely turned the match.

It was in R3, Lina and Elena going on to the semi's. They beat Vento-Kabchi and Widjaja in the QF, coming from a set down.

Tenisci
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Ipek Senoglu (TUR) / Laura Granville (USA) Against Virgina Ruano-pascual (ESP) / Paola Suarez (ARG) In Us Open 3rd Round This Year.

TomTennis
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Venus/Serena defeated Anna/Maritina 6-3 6-7(2) 8-6

....very high quality match!

DevilishAttitude
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Black/Stubbs beat Ruano Pascual/Suarez 7-6 4-6 6-4 :)

Great match between the serve-volleyers against the baseline-stayers Rennae was very pumped up :yeah:

Myskina/Zvonareva beat Bartoli/Loit 7-6 7-5

The rallies at the net were at times :eek: :eek: :eek: superb atmosphere :worship:

HotSpot
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Widjaja / Vento Kabshi def. Tanasugarn / Prakusya in 3 sets ( last set 16-14 or something like that) at WIMBLEDON 04 ... the longest match in women's double!!
and ... FED CUP FINAL This year!!
i agree with u..

Caz
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Williams/Williams def. Ruano Pascual/ Suárez, Wimbledon final 2002. It wasn't the result I wanted, but it was still a great match. :D Also the Williams sisters against Vivi/Paola in the AO 2003 final, or any Vivi/Paola match from RG, where they play their best tennis.

ALPHA
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:56 AM
No question here, it's got to be:

Roland Garros 1999 Doubles Final:

Williams/Williams bt Spice Girls 6:3, 6:7 & 8:6

Unfortunately, it turned out to be the only time ever for these remarkable teams, to face each other on "tennis-battle-ground".

Would have loved to watch a rivalry developing between these two exciting teams - that would have meant a blast for womens doubles circuit.

... es sollte nicht sein ...

crazillo
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Hingis/Novotna def. Davenport/Zvereva at Wimbledon 1998 in 3 sets! AMAZING match! :eek:

GermanBoy
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Hingis/Novotna def. Davenport/Zvereva at Wimbledon 1998 in 3 sets! AMAZING match! :eek:
Did you watch it? :eek: Where? :eek:

Billabong
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:06 PM

I was about to say it:D! It was awesome:D!!! I also adored the 2002 Australian Open Doubles final;)!