PDA

View Full Version : Players hardly talked about despite their tennis achievements?

Doraemon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Chandra Rubin
Lisa Raymond
Paola Suarez

The opposite end
Anna Kournikova (she has achieved very little apart from wimby semi appearnce n lipton final beating 4 top 10s )
Hanchukova
Dementieva

Doraemon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:18 PM
And Nicola Pratti in the opposite group

alfajeffster
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
MARGARET SMITH COURT- won more majors (24 singles, 19 doubles, 19 mixed = 62) than any man or woman in the history of tennis, and also won more tournaments (190+) than anyone EVER...IT IS A RECORD THAT PROBABLY WILL NEVER BE EQUALED.

Spunky83
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Some people won´t say it, but Sveta obviously...compared to the other three slam winner of this year...

Doraemon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
But Venus would have no problem sending Court packing.
In her era, tennis wasn't what tennis is now. She may have achieved more then anybody but she would have achived less than a tenth of what she managed to do in her career by the virtue of stone age.

Declan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:28 PM
Chandra Rubin
Lisa Raymond
Paola Suarez

The opposite end
Anna Kournikova (she has achieved very little apart from wimby semi appearnce n lipton final beating 4 top 10s )
Hanchukova
Dementieva

Yes, Rubin is talked about so infrequently that people still get her name wrong: it's CHANDA.

PatM04
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
I think people like Stubbs and Black don't get enough credit for their doubles accomplishments.

alfajeffster
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Yes, Rubin is talked about so infrequently that people still get her name wrong: it's CHANDA.
:clap2:

Dave B
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
But Venus would have no problem sending Court packing.
In her era, tennis wasn't what tennis is now. She may have achieved more then anybody but she would have achived less than a tenth of what she managed to do in her career by the virtue of stone age.

I think thats a little unfair though. If Court were a player in this era, I am sure her training and preparation, not to mention her equitment, would've been better. Maybe she would've dominated. Who knows? What she accomplished then was amazing regardless of the sports competition level...I would salute someone who did the same in curling. She is definitly not mentioned enough.

Yuri
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
Chandra Rubin
Lisa Raymond
Paola Suarez

The opposite end
Hanchukova
Dementieva

And what have Rubin et al actually achieved in singles?

JCF
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Exactly, why would anyone talk about them, they've done nothing much anyways :confused:

Yuri
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Exactly, why would anyone talk about them, they've done nothing much anyways :confused:

How do you have a bad rep? I have read a lot of what you said, and it's great stuff!

JCF
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:58 PM
How do you have a bad rep? I have read a lot of what you said, and it's great stuff!
Thanks!!! I have a bad rep because some fans of certain players don't like what i say, despite it being the truth. :)

Ryan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks!!! I have a bad rep because some fans of certain players don't like what i say, despite it being the truth. :)

"truth" would be more appropriate. Or, garbage.

matija-seles
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Chanda Rubin is a decent player for your knowledge. I suppose you should go to wtatour.com and read her bio :) .

Yuri
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM

My friend, for some - the truth hurts.

JCF
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
My friend, for some - the truth hurts.
It does, but the amazing thing is that people seem to get offended by what i say about their favourite. Still, i guess some people try to put their head under the cloud and not believe whats going on ;)

brunof
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
I think people like Stubbs and Black don't get enough credit for their doubles accomplishments.
Cara, in particular I feel has never gotten much recognition for her doubles, and her singles (as she has been a consistent top 75 for a few years.) She was such a dominant junior player back in 1997, I'm suprised that she didn't receieve much recognition that I remember. (I started following late 1998) Then again, she never had much power...

Tamarine's amazing collection of Wimbledon 4th round appearances I don't think are really very noticed sometimes...

SerialKiller#69
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Actually Anna is a player whose achievements are hardly talked about.

faboozadoo15
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
Chandra Rubin
Lisa Raymond
Paola Suarez

The opposite end
Hanchukova
Dementieva
well anna k has comparable results in singles to the three ignored players, but she just has no titles. i think we hear about her a lot because she had a lot so soon and obviously because she was attractive.

hantuchova is another case where she won a huge title young and got hyped up for her charms. she's also hung around, and she has loyal fans.

dementieva gets talked about a lot because she's simply amazing :worship:

Paldias
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:02 PM

Reached the SF's of the Australian Open in 1996.
Won the longest match in Australian Open History (def. Sanchez-Vicario 96' 16-14 in the third)
Won the longest match in Wimbledon History (def. Hy-Boulais '95 7-6 6-7 17-15)
Came back from 0-5 0-40 down, saving 9 mp's to win 8-6 in the the third against Jana Novotna in the 3r of Roland Garros
Has defeated Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Amelie Mauresmo, Elena Dementieva, Anastasia Myskina, Martina Hingis, and several other top-notch players..

These are only some of many highlights of her career...if you'd like me to list them all I'd be happy too :)

Caz
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
And what have Rubin et al actually achieved in singles?Paola:

RG QF and SF.
Wimbledon 4th round and QF.
US Open 4th round.

And of course all those results came along side winning or making the finals of most of the doubles events of those tournaments.

Also, ranked in top 20 for last few years and ranked as high as number 9 for a week this year, at the same time as being the worlds number 1 doubles player for nearly 3 years.

There's probably more, but I really can't be bothered to do any research! ;) :p

I'm sure everyone would love to be a Grand Slam champion, but for those who can't, those aren't exactly bad results!

M-SELESFAN
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:40 AM
someone mentioned tanasugarn's run of Wimbledon 4th rounds. How many exactly does she have? Didn't she have like 4 or 5 straight at one point?

vogus
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Raymond
Rubin
Suarez

not exactly the most thrilling big-event performers (save Rubin's SF run at the Aus Open 9 (that's NINE) years ago. Is it a surprise they arent talked about much? The most exceptional thing about these players is how long all three of them have managed to hang around. They have racked up about 45 years on tour among them.

SzavayFi
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Chandra Rubin
Lisa Raymond
Paola Suarez

The opposite end
Hanchukova
Dementieva
u have quite a few things wrong with this post....first of all, its CHANDA not Chandra........2nd of all its HANTUCHOVA not HANCHUKOVA! 3rd of all, Dani doesnt boast about her accomplishments and pll talk about it because indian wells IS a BIG tournament and so is making QF in a GS!

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:11 AM
not only a gs, but 3 grand slams in a row!

Chunchun
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Rubin
AO SF at 1995/6

Paola
RG SF 2004, Wimbledon QF 2004, USO QF 2003, RG QF 2002, Doubles no.1

Lemonskin.
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:50 AM
:rolleyes: People who pick on typo's are pathetic.

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
haha! chandra is actually an indian man's name.

and i feel that emilie loit is also not much talked about. i just think that she has also achieved quite a fair bit. i mean. in 2004. she won 2 tournaments back to back right? casblanca and estoril if i am not wrong?? and she won quite a 6 ITTF tournaments.
and she's won 8 wta doubles and was a finalist 6 times as well.:D :worship:
ok maybe that's not alot.

and i forgot. she was in the french fedcup from 2002 up to now.

Experimentee
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Its not a typo, a lot of people actually think shes called Chandra.

jimbo mack
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
karina habsudova, barbara paulus, brenda schultz mcCarthy, irina spirlea, amanda coetzer just to name a handful

brunof
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM
someone mentioned tanasugarn's run of Wimbledon 4th rounds. How many exactly does she have? Didn't she have like 4 or 5 straight at one point?
Yes, Tamarine reached the 4th round of Wimbledon 5 years straight, from 1998-2002. She has played Wimbledon eight times in her career, and has reached the 4th round six of those times! A Quarterfinal would be sooo nice! :hearts:

Grachka
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I don't know why many people seem to suggest that because they haven't been to the severe latter stages of a grand slam, that they shouldn't be mentioned or are not deserving of mentions on this board. This is still a tennis message board, not a Top 10 message board, and there are a lot of players that have 'only' got to R2 or R3 of GS's that are not talked about enough here. Look at Denisa Chladkova, she has got a GS QF to her name, and nobody knows who she is.

Saori of course, is never mentioned either :sad:.

Caz
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:10 PM
I don't know why many people seem to suggest that because they haven't been to the severe latter stages of a grand slam, that they shouldn't be mentioned or are not deserving of mentions on this board. This is still a tennis message board, not a Top 10 message board, and there are a lot of players that have 'only' got to R2 or R3 of GS's that are not talked about enough here. Look at Denisa Chladkova, she has got a GS QF to her name, and nobody knows who she is.

:worship: Couldn't agree with you more.

Declan
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM

'Typos' is a plural, not a possessive, so there should be no apostrophe.

switz
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:51 PM

yes that is no typo. some people even call her that even when they know her name.

it's not really surprising chanda gets no attention - she's been injured for over half her career.

fammmmedspin
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Actually Anna is a player whose achievements are hardly talked about.

Anna has I think beaten 8 players who made it to number 1 which is pretty good. Chanda actually has beaten 8 too over a longer time period. Anna has a 4-1 H2H lead over Chanda though. Suarez is only on two number 1 victories so its a different class really. Tournament wins don't tell you everything.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Darlene Hard.

Alek
Dec 5th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Paola Suarez... hardly talking? LMAO

:lol:

AK-DH Fan
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Anna has I think beaten 8 players who made it to number 1 which is pretty good. Chanda actually has beaten 8 too over a longer time period. Anna has a 4-1 H2H lead over Chanda though. Suarez is only on two number 1 victories so its a different class really. Tournament wins don't tell you everything.

EXACTLY, I think she has H2H lead over Capriati aswell. Tournament wins are important, but their not everything. It's also who beat and rankings

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Silvia Farina
Nadia Petrova
Anna Smashnova

I can understand not being known outside of the US, but it really is shocking that Amy Frazier is completetly unknown in the US despite being one of the ten best American players every year since 1990:eek: You would think the USTA would give her a little recognition for that at least during the US Open and put her matches on a stadium or big outside court. They can put Mashona Washington on the Grandstand or Morigami vs. Gagliardi on Court 11:o , but nothing for Amy.

Joana
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Duleml mentions her frequently. ;)

brunof
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Silvia Farina
Nadia Petrova
Anna Smashnova

I can understand not being known outside of the US, but it really is shocking that Amy Frazier is completetly unknown in the US despite being one of the ten best American players every year since 1990:eek: You would think the USTA would give her a little recognition for that at least during the US Open and put her matches on a stadium or big outside court. They can put Mashona Washington on the Grandstand or Morigami vs. Gagliardi on Court 11:o , but nothing for Amy.
Yea, sucks for Amy. :sad: