PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest thing that has happened in the last decade?

Doraemon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
I would say the emergence of the Williams sisters. I admit they are not not my favorite but in terms of the impact they have had on the game, nobody comes even close to the sisterhood. They have rasied the bar for the rest of the players and their influence to the game has been so huge that nothing has been discussed more then her absence from the tour.
The second biggest thing should be either Graf's long reign at the no.1 or Hingis becoming the youngest GS champ n no.1 player.

^bibi^
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:14 PM
I'd rather said that it's the importance power has got in the game

BeautifulGirl
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:36 PM
The arrival of Queen Masha no doubt. Never had it happened that a top player was as beautiful and as talented as Masha.

tommyk75
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
I agree with Saint Seiya. The Williams sisters are the biggest stars tennis has produced since Chris Evert in my opinion (yes, I am speaking from an American-oriented viewpoint, sorry if that bothers you). They're powerful, athletic, brash, controversial, strong, sexy, and whether you like them or not, they've brought so much interest to women's tennis. Behind Serena and Venus, I'd actually choose Anna Kournikova as the biggest sensation in women's tennis. Although she wasn't a champion, she forever erased the perception of women's tennis players as all being manly or unsexy. She upped the glamour and sex appeal quotient of tennis by a hundred times.

Chunchun
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
1 Martinez win Wimbledon in 94, beating Nav
2 Hingis win GS at (teen age)
3 Williams sisters - total 6 GS Final
4 Serena v. Justine RG 2003 - Justine the cheater?
5 Belgian duo dominate 2003
6 Sharapova win Wimbledon at 17 years old and 2 months

jimbo mack
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
steffi graf's 1999 final year has to be up there- particularly that french open final, which will always be talked about - (in our lifetime anyway!)

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Navratilova retiring in 1994 in singles and her coming back with two grand slams mixed doubles titles won when she was 47 years old

DA FOREHAND
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
America elected an idiot for President

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
I'd rather said that it's the importance power has got in the game

When no-one has touch anymore power becomes the only deciding factor.

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
1 Martinez win Wimbledon in 94, beating Nav........

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
I would say the emergence of the Williams sisters. I admit they are not not my favorite but in terms of the impact they have had on the game, nobody comes even close to the sisterhood. They have rasied the bar for the rest of the players and their influence to the game has been so huge that nothing has been discussed more then her absence from the tour.
The second biggest thing should be either Graf's long reign at the no.1 or Hingis becoming the youngest GS champ n no.1 player.

The Williams sisters only could take over because Graf, Novotna retired in 1999 and Hingis started her decline shortly after. So they could profit from the interlude - until the emergence of Henin.

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
The arrival of Queen Masha no doubt. Never had it happened that a top player was as beautiful and as talented as Masha.

Graf?
Sabatini?

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM

did you mean Clinton in 1996? :lol:

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
I agree with Saint Seiya. The Williams sisters are the biggest stars tennis has produced since Chris Evert in my opinion (yes, I am speaking from an American-oriented viewpoint, sorry if that bothers you). ...

Yes, and Graf was the biggest star since Cilly Aussem in Germany.

But we would be interested to know what you think was the biggest thing in the last ten years in tennis WORLDWIDE!

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
1 Martinez win Wimbledon in 94, beating Nav
2 Hingis win GS at (teen age)
3 Williams sisters - total 6 GS Final
4 Serena v. Justine RG 2003 - Justine the cheater?
5 Belgian duo dominate 2003
6 Sharapova win Wimbledon at 17 years old and 2 months

Hey Demented, you were in a coma at the time of FO 99 final?

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
steffi graf's 1999 final year has to be up there- particularly that french open final, which will always be talked about - (in our lifetime anyway!)

The voice of reason.
From England - no wonder ...

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM

REELECTED!
Because he was elected the first time TWELVE years ago.

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
The Williams sisters only could take over because Graf, Novotna retired in 1999 and Hingis started her decline shortly after. So they could profit from the interlude - until the emergence of Henin.

Of course.......two players of "lower-class"-origind BLACK at it too!!! couldnīt possibly have done well with the from "upper-class"-origins Steffi Graf....impossible. Isnīt that right, our social elitist friend calimero?

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Of course.......two players of "lower-class"-origind BLACK at it too!!! couldnīt possibly have done well with the from "upper-class"-origins Steffi Graf....impossible. Isnīt that right, our social elitist friend calimero?

Graf has no upper-class origins.
Don't know where the Williams sisters come from. But when I think of Pa Williams you could be right. At least he doesn't seem to be upper class. But lower middle class perhaps?

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Graf?
Sabatini?

Calimero you never saw this:
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos/150x200/310137.jpg

she's an angel..........

OK OK also Gabriela was so beauty........
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos/150x200/190001.jpg

Gabriela or Maria?

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Graf has no upper-class origins.
Don't know where the Williams sisters come from. But when I think of Pa Williams you could be right. At least he doesn't seem to be upper class. But lower middle class perhaps?

when you think of Pa Williams, huh?! And what about when you think about pa Graf? Enlighten....

faste5683
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
when you think of Pa Williams, huh?! And what about when you think about pa Graf? Enlighten....

I think about Alcoholics Anonymous...

:wavey:

Kart
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:48 PM
I passed my driving test which was pretty big for me.

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:19 PM

When we think about Pa Graf's boorish behaviour in 1986 until 1995 we could - erronously - assume that Steffi was lower-class. But we know better of course.
As I said I don't know much about the Williams family. Where do they come from? Judging ONLY from Pa Williams' behaviour one could think the family is lower-class. But admittedly I don't know enough to judge properly. They are from New York City, aren't they? Upper West Side? Bronx? Newark? Do you know more?