PDA

View Full Version : Should double matches be more noticed?

Drimal
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
It is really a pitty that the double matches are not taking serious by the medias.

I never saw a double match on TV although I watch tennis matches often. :o In the newspapers just the semis or finals are mentionned in a line, but no summary of the match. :o

It is really unfair for good double players to have so less attention from the public. A single title win of a Tier V is more important in the medias than the win of the World championships in doubles!!! :o

What do you think?

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM
I don't like doubles, well I would watch sometimes, but very rarely.

vertigo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
definitely agree Doubles is overlooked by the media as is the entire WTA (a result of its very poor management?). However, to be fair the bbc coverage of doubles in the second week of wimbledon is great, and they show some brilliant matches.

^bibi^
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
I definitely agree... I didn't saw en enitre double match before going to a tournament... :s

Pamela Shriver
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Should double matches be more noticed?
YES!!!!!!!

Caz
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
I would love to see more doubles on TV. The best thing about BBC interactive's Wimbledon coverage was that we could choose all day between 5 different courts and so could watch loads of doubles, and even mixed doubles. :D :worship:

Incidentally, during British Eurosports coverage of the ATP Masters someone wrote in to ask why they didn't show the doubles, and they claimed it was because the fee they would have to pay to show it was far too high to justify paying, for the amount of interest it would generate. You'd think if TV stations weren't going to pay high prices for doubles, they'd sell the rights for less, but, anyway, that was the reason we were given.

Pamela Shriver
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
If you ask me, doubles slams should be made more important than singles. Its Doublesism prejudice.

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Doubles are for the players that CANT win major titles on their own. :p

Doraemon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Yeah nowadays doubles is another sport for second class players to make money.

^bibi^
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard :eek:

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard :eek:

Go read my other posts, I'm sure you'll find I can beat that.:)

^bibi^
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Go read my other posts, I'm sure you'll find I can beat that.:) :lol:

Drimal
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
@Serena Sharapova:

So without double matches which country would have won the Fedcup? :lol:

(The decisive point was made from Russia in the double! :drool: )

Shooter
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:04 PM

Unfortunately, due to financial considerations, there is some truth to this statement. Many of the best singles players in the world don't play doubles because it just isn't worth their time. Why risk injury or tire yourself out playing doubles, when it might take away your singles performance? Singles pays a lot more.

I love doubles. I like playing doubles and watching doubles. Wish they'd show more of it on T.V. Went to the Tour Championships on the Sunday when they played the singles and doubles semis. Watched all 4 matches. They played singles matches first, then the doubles. Must say that it was a bit depressing being in the Staples Center for that last match. There were very few people left in the building (and a LOT of trash under the seats). I intentionally got there an hour late because I didn't want to watch two full singles matches. Unfortunately, both singles semis went 3 sets, making for a very long day of tennis.

It would be nice if more of the top singles players played doubles too. My suggestion to encourage this would be have a single UNIFIED ranking system, as opposed to separate singles and doubles rankings. Results from singles and doubles would all go towards this one ranking. This would encourage skilled singles players to play more doubles. It would also elevate the status of skilled doubles players.

The singles rankings take into account skill on grass, hardcourts, and clay. It's about time they also take into account skill in doubles. It's time to do away with 'singles' rankings, and have one UNIFIED rankings system.

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:32 PM
If you ask me, doubles slams should be made more important than singles. Its Doublesism prejudice.

yes yes yes

tennislover
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM

that's why Martina Navratilova who won 40 GS doubles titles, won only......18 Gs singles titles...... :lol: