PDA

View Full Version : First women's match you ever saw?

Lemonskin.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:56 AM
Mine was:

2003 French Open, 2nd round

Ashley Harkleroad def Daniela Hantuchova 7-6(2) 4-6 9-7

I'd never watched women's tennis before. I'd watched a few mens matches before, but never womens. I was never really into tennis before that match. I know everyone says that match was appauling but I really got into and really enjoyed it. I watched it with my dad from start-to-finish and flipped a coin to see who we would go for. I got Harkleroad and dad got Dani. It was a very close battle and we really got into it. Since then, I watched like ALL of Wimbledon 2003. That's when I became a Maria fan.

So yeah, that's my story.

lindsayno1
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
i THINK it was wimbledon 99 (well my mum always used ot watch it and i HATED it with a passion when i was younger). Then i saw a match she was watching where lindsay was playing.... and i was hooked from there on in!

^bibi^
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM
i don't remember, but it mst be a Roland Garros Match, probably in 99.. but not totally sure of that...

Mattographer
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:11 AM
1999 Hopman Cup: Jelena Dokic def. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario ranked #4 at the time! :D

She brings me into the sport! :kiss:

Dan23
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Couldnt say exactly...:scratch:
It probably would have been an AO match in the early 90's..:)

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:19 AM
1995-1996 Hopman Cup, Coetzer def Rubin 6-2 6-4;

I was 10.

Drimal
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Anne Kremer def Monica Seles Wimbledon 1999 :worship:

:hearts: From that time on I'm a great tennis fan (female and male)! :hearts:

BeautifulGirl
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Would you believe it was a Mary Pierce vs Sanchez Vicario match? grrr It was terrible.

Cuckoo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
French Open 90.

Seles Def Graf.

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
Anne Kremer def Monica Seles Wimbledon 1999 :worship:

:hearts: From that time on I'm a great tennis fan (female and male)! :hearts:
1999 Wimbledon Lucic def Seles in the 3r :confused:

AnDyDog621
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
I THINK it was VENUS 2000 Wimbledon!!

Mattographer
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
1999 Wimbledon Lucic def Seles in the 3r :confused:
I think he/she referred to Eastbourne :p

Mattographer
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Yep, it was 1999 Eastbourne ;)

moby
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
RG 97 final
i was 11 then
only started following tennis at the end of 96, and didn't really get much coverage until i got cable in 2000, meaning i only got to watch slam finals and semis

crazillo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
novotna-rubin rg

Alvarillo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
my parents have told me that i was watching the RG 1989 Final Sanchez-Vicario def Graf but i was only 4 years old and i don't remember anything !!!!!!

hayden_tennis
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
first match ever was on tv 1996/7 aus open wen coetzer lost to huber. if it wasnt for coetzer i would neva hav pickd up a racket i was only 9 at the time and after i saw her play i made dad take me to the courts lol. i followed her all my life. the first womens match i ever saw live was this year at aus open and i think it was a little bit of tanasugarn and granville but the first full womens match i watchd live was coetzer def snyder and was the last match she won. sorta seems rite doesnt it

jimbo mack
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
when graf thrashed seles in 1992 wimbledon final

*Jool*
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
It was on telly, certainly for the French Open...
Who?? Could be MJ Fernandez, Graf, Sanchez, Sabatini or Seles, Pierce : probably 2 of them ...
When ? Early 90s , I remember that my mother used to watch tennis during the FO. When I came back from school, sometimes, I watched with her but it was the 1sts times I watched and didn't know anything except for these names and a few others.I can't remember exactly who was playing but in my mind, I remember that I liked MJ Fernandez, so it must have been a MJ match in FO93.
The year after, I became a fan of tennis after Wimbledon.

I've never seen a real match , and hope to do so this year in FO (as it cd be the last opportunity to see the great Conchi playing there...)

Andy.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Mary Pierce Vs Anker Huber at the Aussie Open 1997 and i fell for Mary that very instant.

katiektc
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
used to watch wimbledon just randomly every year but not pay much attention.first proper time i got into it was 97 wimby where kournikova got to SF,and fell in love with the game and have been following it obsessively since :)

katiektc
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:25 AM
oh,i was 11 in 1997 :bounce:

Jorn
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
It was Tina Pisnik vs Olga Barabanschikova at Fed Cup in Amsterdam 1999 :)

I did not know Tina at that point so I more remember the next, a Zvereva match.

beauty_is_pink
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Mine was:

2003 French Open, 2nd round

Ashley Harkleroad def Daniela Hantuchova 7-6(2) 4-6 9-7

I'd never watched women's tennis before. I'd watched a few mens matches before, but never womens. I was never really into tennis before that match. I know everyone says that match was appauling but I really got into and really enjoyed it. I watched it with my dad from start-to-finish and flipped a coin to see who we would go for. I got Harkleroad and dad got Dani. It was a very close battle and we really got into it. Since then, I watched like ALL of Wimbledon 2003. That's when I became a Maria fan.

So yeah, that's my story.I'm glad you're first ever women's match was watching Daniela :)
Tho you went for Harkleroad... I'll ignore that fact. plus it sucks cause Daniela couldve won it but loss :sad: :(

My first was with Martina Hingis, Wimbly '98 (I think that's the year), I never realli liked watching tennis, but I broke my leg that June and was stuck at home. My dad loved tennis so made me watch it... first thing I saw was MARTINA HINGIS, her match and then a intreview around London with her... :hearts:
My view on tennis changed forever....

Drimal
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:58 AM
I think he/she referred to Eastbourne :p

Excuse me it was not Wimbledon 99 but Eastbourne 99.

Anne Kremer beat Monica Seles in the second round of Eastbourne with 6:4 6:4. :D

CondiLicious
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:58 AM
I don't remember the first match I saw... It would be the late 1980s and probably the US Open. I remember really liking Steffi Graf when I was 8 or 9 and being upset when she lost the 1990 French but it definitely wasn't the first match I'd ever seen.

Great Seles
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Seles whipping Steffi's butt at the 1990 Berlin Finals Germany of all places.

SM
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
seles d graf 93 aqus open final was the first full match i saw. i only watched it cos my whole family loved monica but i wasn in to tennis at the time, and didnt really watch it properly..

the first match that i watched and enjoyed was 98 french final. i decided to watch it after hearing monica had smashed hingis, as i wasnt even aware that monica was still playing LOL...so i decided to watch the final and altho she lost i became a BIG monica fan!!

i also saw dokic play some juniors in 98 i think, then when she played hopman cup 99 i became an even bigger fan of tennis

~MaRt~HiNgIs~F@N
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:21 PM
Monica Seles Vs Chanda Rubin Australien Open 1996

AjdeNate!
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
1989 Virginia Slims on Houston
SF
Seles d. Carrie Cunningham 60 61

It was end of April and the commentators said she was "Moneeka Shell-ush, the new Banging Baby of tennis". The next day she won her first title. I've been with her for all 53 of 'em. :D

Fantastic
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Televised: Sometime in 1987, I think the tournament was called the Ariadne Women's Classic. It featured Zina Garrison, who was ranked about 10th. I was only 9 at the time and the only players I had ever heard of were Chris Evert, Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova and Ivan Lendl. The score in the Zina match was 6-0 6-1. For the life of me, I cannot remember who her opponent was, or if Zina won or lost by that score. :tape:

Live: Elizabeth Smylie vs Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere 1990-1991 Hopman Cup, Switzerland vs Australia. Liz got thrashed 0-6 0-6 by a solid Manuela. I remember being disappointed because I wanted to watch Natalia Zvereva and Andrei Chesnokov take on Yugoslavia instead. It was a night match unfortunately, and nobody wanted to take me. I was a huge fan of Natalia and Andrei back then. I watched it all on TV though.

Chunchun
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:42 PM
First ever for me:

2003 HK Exhibition - Rubin def. LenaD

TatiAnnahølic
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Chase'99: Pierce def. Anna [since then I'm Anna fan :hearts:]

UDiTY
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Jana Novotna def. Venus Williams 7-5, 7-6 QF's 1998 Wimlbedon on HBO

Venus made me:eek:

Tratree
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
It was Evert vs. Navratilova in a slam final.....the US Open, I believe....maybe '83 or '84. I know I was upset because Martina beat Chris and I was pulling for Chris.

"Sluggy"
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
I saw martina play when i was a preteen.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Graf Vs. Novotna Wimbledon Final. I forgot what year it was but I remember cheering for Graf (Yes, I was a glory hunter back then :o )

Mathijs
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
that's a bloody time back, i think it was the '93 FO final can't remember who played....

Caz
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
Navratilova vs. Evert in a Wimbledon final, don't remember which year, must have been early 1980's though.

R&J
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
1997 French Open 4th rd: Seles d. Pierce 6-4, 7-5

Lee-Waters' Boy
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:45 PM
on tv natasha zvereva vs. cristina tessi 1991 wimbledon, i was a little child lol
in person, 1995 i think mashona washington vs. i think arantxa in vermont

Lee-Waters' Boy
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
on tv natasha zvereva vs. cristina tessi 1991 wimbledon, i was a little child lol
in person, 1995 i think mashona washington vs. i think arantxa in vermont
actually thats not entirely true
i remember in 1990 watching seles vs. garrison at wimbledon and loving monica's grunt

i never really started loving and following tennis 100% till teh zvereva match though

TimBo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
1988 US Open Quarters- Garrison def Evert. Was Evert's last match. This is the first match I remember watching in full. I had seen the French Final in 88 Graf def. Zvereva, but wasnt much of a match and didnt hold my attention

DevilishAttitude
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
Novotna vs Tauziat 1998 Wimbledon Final I was 8 :baby: :o :)

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Seles whipping Steffi's butt at the 1990 Berlin Finals Germany of all places.

So you did never watch
1) Graf vs. Zvereva, FO 88 final,
2) Graf vs. Navratilova, Wimbledon 88 final,
3) Graf vs. Sabatini, AO 89 semis?

That explains whole bookshelves ...

TinySeles, please refrain from commenting anything when grown-ups discuss "best-ever of open era" next time. Just listen (= read) and learn ...

BTW, the first women's tennis match I saw was King-Evert, Wimbledon final 1973.

Great Seles
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
So you did never watch
1) Graf vs. Zvereva, FO 88 final,
2) Graf vs. Navratilova, Wimbledon 88 final,
3) Graf vs. Sabatini, AO 89 semis?

That explains whole bookshelves ...

TinySeles, please refrain from commenting anything when grown-ups discuss "best-ever of open era" next time. Just listen (= read) and learn ...

BTW, the first women's tennis match I saw was King-Evert, Wimbledon final 1973.

It reminds me of a little chihuahua barking at the heels of a Great Dane ... the Great Dane is amused for a little while and the chihuahua just continues to bark away without realizing it is out of its league.

Calimero377, YOU are the chihuahua here.

Seles vs Graf 1992 French Open was the ultimate classic.

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
It reminds me of a little chihuahua barking at the heels of a Great Dane ... the Great Dane is amused for a little while and the chihuahua just continues to bark away without realizing it is out of its league.

Calimero377, YOU are the chihuahua here.

Seles vs Graf 1992 French Open was the ultimate classic.

It's bookmarked, Dumbo - you didn't watch women's tennis before 1990. Period.
I'll remind you of that now and then ...

:lol:

Great Seles
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
It's bookmarked, Dumbo - you didn't watch women's tennis before 1990. Period.
I'll remind you of that now and then ...

:lol:

You thought so? Remember I've only been in this board for a few months...and you wholeheartedly believed it.

The chihuahua is still so clueless :lol:

jimbo mack
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:16 PM
You thought so? Remember I've only been in this board for a few months...and you wholeheartedly believed it

The chihuahua is still so clueless :lol:

you've only been on this board a few months? yet it says your join was november 2004- which was only last month!

wonder what other usernames you are or have been?!

weirdo

Great Seles
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
you've only been on this board a few months? yet it says your join was november 2004- which was only last month!

wonder what other usernames you are or have been?!

weirdo

poor thing :lol:

ZAK
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
98 Wimbledon Final- Novotna d. Tauziat

jimbo mack
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
poor thing :lol:

< < < :scared: i sometimes wonder if posters like you are a deranged fan of seles in the same way as gunther parsche was to graf

Greatest
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
< < < :scared: i sometimes wonder if posters like you are a deranged fan of seles in the same way as gunther parsche was to graf

Look whose talking...Gunther Parche himself with the signature STEFFI IS THE GREATEST??? Sick Pathetic Calimero :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimbo mack
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Look whose talking...Gunther Parche himself with the signature STEFFI IS THE GREATEST??? Sick Pathetic Calimero :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think you need help :o

good luck to you

Vamos Feńa
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
2000 Championships
Lena D. def. Kim Clijsters :) But I wasn't interested in tennis then.

The breakthrough came when I was sick in May 2001 I turned TV on and watched the Pierce-Petrova at Rome.Later I heared that a girl from my favourite country (Yugoslavia) won there.I was interested who is she...
One day (Monday or Tuesday) at the beginning of RG I watched a girl called Jelena Dokic who def Adriana Gersi 6/0 6/0 :worship: I fell in love with tennis and with Miss Dokic :hearts:

FrauleinSteffi
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Jen vs Monica US Open Semis 1991 one of the best matches ever

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure but I think it was 2002 Roland Garros Quarterfinal J. Capriati def. J. Dokic 6-4 4-6 6-1. After that match, I loved Dokic. But now I can't stand her because she sucks :p.

motta
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:10 PM
Seles def Graf Roland Garros(I can't remember the year but I think it was something like 92/93)

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
Venus Williams :hearts: vs. Jane O'Donoghue, Wimbledon 2002 1st round.

GrantyBoy
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
It would have to be one of the wimbledon finals or semi-finals with Chris and Martina (maybe 86). It ended in great controversy with Chris hitting a passing shot narrowly out but she thought it wasn't. The headlines in the papers the next day were "Chris Cross!" She wasn't a happy bunny...

exoneuk
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Probably would have been Wimbledon 2003, Dechy bt Bedanova quite convincingly.

I remember that day mainly cos of Greg Rusedski's outburst on centre court ;) The silly man! Profanities and all that...

I've seen more men's tennis cos my family goes to the Nottingham Open ever year. Think it's every year since 97 we've been going... I might have missed 97 cos I was at school... 98 i was still at school too... but I MAY have called in sick... :devil:

MisterQ
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:38 PM
probably wasn't the first I ever saw... but the first I ever actively watched was Navratilova's last Wimbledon win (1990) against Garrison. :)

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:12 AM
The first match that I watched and actually enjoyed was Serena def. Jen 7-6 7-5 in the finals of the Nasdaq in 2002.. since then i have been a hardcore fan! :worship: :bounce:

selking
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:18 AM
monica vs venus... pilot pen 2000

PatM04
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM
I start playing tennis at age 13 (I'm 18 now). I never really thought about pro-tennis or watched it for that matter. I just sort of knew the basics, like who the Williams sisters were and things like that. Ironically, my uncle and his family have lived in Amelia Island since I was born and I never even knew about the tournament there until I was 15. I happened to be there on the weekend of the final and my uncle had a friend with a box seat that didn't need his tickets. My mom and I went to the final and saw what was probably the best womens tennis match that year. Venus Williams def. Justine Henin 2-6 7-5 7-6. That match (especially the third set when both played their best) was filled with great rallies, incredible shots, and high drama. From that day forward I have been a devoted fan to womens tennis. I don't miss matches on TV and I have been back to Amelia Island every year since. I am SO excited about 2005 and getting to see some high quality tennis once again:)

Becool
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:22 AM
RG 99 Davenport vs. Henin

Geisha
Dec 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM
00 Wimbledon Quarterfinals:

Venus def. Martina 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
- they showed clips of Serena's match throughout that match.