PDA

View Full Version : What are the 3 most memorable tennis moments 4 u since u began following tennis?

selesadmirer
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
What are they..whatever comes 2 mind

Knizzle
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Serena winning the US Open 1999, her reaction was priceless.

Venus winning Wimbledon 2000. Her celebration created one of the most memorable photographs of this era, Venus airborne in triumph.

Serena vs. Venus US Open 2001, many firsts on that day. First time 2 sisters met for the US Open final, first primetime women's final, first time 2 African-Americans faced off for a GS title.

I have to add in a 4th one. Serena def Venus @ 2002 French Open and the sisters become #1 and #2 in the world to solidfy their dominance of the sport of women's tennis. :worship:

CanadianBoy21
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:50 AM
Serena winning Us Open
Serena beating Kim at Australian Open - priceless fighting.
Venus gave me soooooo many memorable matches that I do not know where to start. Kinda sad that it's been so long that she has given her fans a 'memorable' tennis match though

SzavayFi
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
JHH defeated Capriati in the US OPEN 2003- i was very unhappy but GREAT TENNIS!
Daniela Hantuchova def Amelie Mauresmo 2004 Eastbourne- best moment in 2004
Daniela Hantuchova def Martina Hingis 2002 Indian Wells- i was so happy :)

jrm
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Monica beating Graf in the final of FO in 1990

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Serena winning the US Open 1999, her reaction was priceless.

Venus winning Wimbledon 2000. Her celebration created one of the most memorable photographs of this era, Venus airborne in triumph.

Serena vs. Venus US Open 2001, many firsts on that day. First time 2 sisters met for the US Open final, first primetime women's final, first time 2 African-Americans faced off for a GS title.

I have to add in a 4th one. Serena def Venus @ 2002 French Open and the sisters become #1 and #2 in the world to solidfy their dominance of the sport of women's tennis. :worship:

OMG, i was gonna write the exact same 3 moments :lol:

The reason why 1999 stuck in my head is that not only was it the first Williams singles grand slam, but also seeing Venus' face when Serena won. That's what made me like Venus ever so slightly more than Serena.

Also, I have to put the 2000 Olympics and when Venus won singles, and Venus and Serena won doubles together. Never seen them both soo happy!

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:06 AM
1.) Serena winning the Australian Open and completing the Serena Slam
2.) Maria Sharapova winning Wimbledon over the 2-time defending champion
3.) **Can't think of another memorable moment since '02 Wimby

Knizzle
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:08 AM
1.) Serena winning the Australian Open and completing the Serena Slam
2.) Maria Sharapova winning Wimbledon over the 2-time defending champion
3.) **Can't think of another memorable moment since '02 Wimby
Wimby '02 :eek:

serenafan08
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Mine include both WTA and ATP matches. First, Serena winning the USO in '99. It was great to see another African American win a Slam after Authur Ashe and Althea Gibson. Second, Andre Agassi winning the French Open that same year. That was such a great comeback - not just in that match, but in Andre's career as well. Third, when Jennifer Capriati beat Hingis to win her first major at the Aussie in '01. Even though I'm not a fan of either, I hated Hingis more than Jen, and seeing her beat Martine like that was so awesome! Not to mention the fact that the win caped a great comeback by Jen.

serenafan08
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Monica beating Graf in the final of FO in 1990
The 1992 French Open was another great one too! If Monica hadn't gotten stabbed, there's no doubt that Monica vs. Steffi would have been the biggest rivalry since Evert vs. Navratilova.

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:21 AM
Wimby '02 :eek:
Yup, so I'm really not used to seeing Serena struggle. :(

chitchat
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:32 AM
Great topic! :bounce:

There are just too many! But if I have to stick with women tennis and pick 3 favorites tennis moments, i'll say:

-French Open 99: Steffi def. Martina H (I love rooting for the underdog and it was just priceless with all the drama & emotion! I love Steffi and bizarrely enough, it made me like Hingis with all her tantrums.... You could then realized she's still a kid under that brash attitude and her brillant and mature court game ..... :-)) :wavey:

-Wimbledon 00(??? I have a memory lapse): Jana N def. Martina H. (I love Jana and was just happy to see her achieve her biggest dream and FINALLY reaching her potential and surmounting her mental fragility!) :bounce:

-Wimbledon 04: Maria def. Serena (again, the underdog cheering and let's face it, Serena was the undefeated ruling queen of grass and still got whooped in 2 small sets by a newcomer) :eek:

Dawn Marie
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:38 AM
#3 Serena winning her first slam. Yet I was sad for Vee more than I was happy for Serena. What can I say I am a Venus fan first and foremost.

#2.Graf's defeat over Hingis at the French Open.. 1999. So much drama and electricity during that match. It was a pleasure to see Martina lose it, and to see Steffie playing some of the most brilliant tennis that day.

#1.Venus Williams, beating Hingis at Wimbeldon, with her last point being an ACE or a non return of serve. She yelled and screamed and you just knew she was going to break through with her first slam.

Venus Williams winning her first slam over Lindsay Davenport. I remember I was up at 9 am and tired, and running back and forth to the williams sisters chatroom and then to watch the match... LIVE. I was so damn nervous, and then so elated when she won that slam. I was hysterical and I cried some great tears that day.

Venus Williams beating Hingis at the US Open in three thrilling sets. I can quote the entire match almost. I can still vision that haughty dropper Vee played on Martina. Vee and Marty matches were so damn thrilling. Imho they had the best rivalry in the past 8 years or so.

Venus and Serena playing each other in PRIMETIME!!

Too many Venus matches and this is why they are ALL #1 to me.

Orion
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:58 AM
#1: Seles def. Capriati 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(3) US Open 1991 Semifinal
#2: Davenport def. Hingis 6-3, 7-5 US Open 1998 FINAL
#3: Capriati def. Clijsters 1-6, 6-4, 12-10 French Open 2001 FINAL

All of these were thrilling to watch for different reasons

1: My two favorite Americans (at that time) facing off in a third set tiebreak
2: My favorite female player of all time defeating the world number one in her first Grand Slam Final
3: My second favorite female player of all time defeating my second favorite international player (at that time) in a TENSE 3rd set

Justeenium
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:02 AM
1) justine wins Gold Medal
2) justine defeats JCap in USO SF and wins title
3) Novotna wins Wimbledon.

polishprodigy
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:06 AM
1. Marta Domachowska reaching the semi-finals of Sopot and cracking the top 100 for the first time since Magdalena Grzybowska
2. Seeing Nancy Loeffler-Caro for the very first time (a 6-0 6-0 loss to Svetlana Krivencheva at the 2003 Toronto first round of qualifying matchplay)
3. Serena winning her very first grand slam.

JLDementieva
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:07 AM
French Open '99 Final: Steffi def. Hingis
nothing else has really been that memorable for me

Hots4Safin
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:14 AM
#3 - Venus wins wimbledon....my first tennis memory.

#2 - Serena def. Clijsters for spot in AO final and eventual Serena Slam.

#1 - Serena losing to Sharapova in the Wimby final.

Those are definitely the three most memorable for me...two happy occasions and one miserable one.

Shooter
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
1. Getting a few pointers from Harry Hopman at his Florida tennis clinic in 1978.

2. Seeing Vitas Gerulaitis play a mixed doubles match with his sister on a side court at the U.S. Open.

3. The Billie Jean King - Bobby Riggs match.

alex.2812
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM
1 Maria Sharapova in wimbledon
2 clijsters defeating henin in filderstadt 2003
3 myskina in fed cup

Dan23
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM
In no particular order..

- 2003 Davis Cup SF Lleyton Hewitt comes from to 2 sets to love down to beat Roger Federer :rocker2:
- 2004 Wimbledon the whole tournament by Maria and seeing her hold up the plate :worship:
- Seeing my big favs for the 1st time in 1999 (Lena D) and 2002 (Maria S) :D

vertigo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
The first match that sprang to mind was definitely RG 99' I think that has to be the most memorable match I have EVER seen and Hingis' underarm serve and most memorable serve EVER.

For Pure joyful reaction it is definitely Venus at Wimbledon and her giant leap in the final.

And another one; when Lindsay Davenport and Morariu won doubles at W 1999. Also very cute when Ai and Kim won in 2003.

loveactually
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Steffi def. Hingis in French Open 1999
Maria Sharapova in wimbledon
Justine def. Kim in French Open 2003

Gogo123
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM
OMG, i was gonna write the exact same 3 moments :lol:

The reason why 1999 stuck in my head is that not only was it the first Williams singles grand slam, but also seeing Venus' face when Serena won. That's what made me like Venus ever so slightly more than Serena.

Also, I have to put the 2000 Olympics and when Venus won singles, and Venus and Serena won doubles together. Never seen them both soo happy!
As i didnt see the 1999 final I want to ask what Serena's reaction was and what was going on in Venus' face?

Thanks

Spunky83
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM
Three? Just three? My father forced me to watch tennis since I started to watch tv;)

Let´s see:
1) 1999 French Open Final Steffi def. screaming and underhand-serving Hingis. Classic!
2) 1995 AusOpen QF Pete Sampras def. Courier...6-7 6-7 6-3 6-4 6-3 that was a heartbreaker!!!
3) 2003 Australian Open QF Roddick def. Younes El Aynaoui 4-6 7-6 4-6 6-4 21-19!!!
4) 2003 US Open SF Justine def. J-Cap 4-6 7-5 7-6...best match ever!

Ok...sorry, four now, but I just couldn´t decide! However the images of the matches mentioned above will stay in my head forever!

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
1. Stefanie Graf def. Martina Hingis in final of Roland Garros 1999 was such an incredible dramatic!
2. Jennifer Capriati saved a championship point from Martina Hingis to winning the Australian Open 2002 title was shows a true champion she is!
3. Serena Williams winning her first Slam title at the US Open 1999 as the reaction was priceless!

WOW! I didn’t realise all of these three lists involved with Martina Hingis! :o

Andy_
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Ok, here come mine (in no significant order)... they're very much related to my faves, so they may not mean a thing to the rest of you guys :o

- Andre Agassi's first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon: he'd already been in several finals, yet he'd always failed to hold the trophy... and he made it in the 'least' likely location, where probably less people had considered him able to win it all!
Considering that Andre's been able to go on and win at least once all of the GS, that's a pretty huge tennis moment for me, as a fan of Andre, and as a fan of tennis in general

- Jennifer Capriati's first Slam in Melbourne... I know many of you guys don't like Jen for her attitude and for a certain behavior... I'll never say she hasn't made a mistake, but I'm talking here of someone whose role in tennis seemed so predetermined, so promising, and who'd actually lost herself along the way... and she managed to come back and succeed, with Slam titles and the #1 position in the ranking. To me, that's quite a huge moment in tennis history

- Serena's 4 slams in a row. I still had to start to follow tennis intensely when Steffi completed a 4-titles-in-the-same-year Grand Slam, so I guess Serena's achievement has to be considered as one of the major of my years as a tennis fanatic!

deep bass
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:39 AM
Martina finally winning 9th Wimby title in '90

Graf beating Hingis at FO '99. Couldn't quite believe my eyes.

Vera beating J Cap at Philly this year. Showing what she was capable of against a great player. I didn't see the match against Venus at FO, so I couldn't put that.

There's a few more, but those are my most memorable.

Greatest
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:40 AM

World Number One Monica Seles dismantled Second ranked at the 1992 French Open Finals which is dubbed by sport historians and fans alike as the Greatest Female Tennis Match in the Open Era.

This match was so memorable and historic as Seles was the 1st woman in almost 60 years to win Three Consecutive French Titles ( the only player to achieve such a rare feat in Modern Tennis). :D

rrfnpump
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
1) Maggie Maleeva d. Venus Williams 26 61 76 Moskow 2002
2) Maggie Maleeva d. Lindsay Davenport 57 63 76 Moskow 2002 Finals
3) Vera Zvonareva d. Venus Williams 26 62 64 French Open 2003

I got heart attacks in all three matches ;) Soooo exciting!

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
1) Sanchez Vicario def Seles RG 98 final... Dad & I stayed up late for it, what a tense but high quality marathon
2) Rafter def Agassi 01 SF Wim, Excitement ensures lol, I remember me jumping up and down on the bean-bag.
3) Seles def Venus 02 Aus Open, I was doing fist pumping at home, and Mum saw me :o (embarrassing)

strangely my top 3 memories were not seeing the matches "live"

bionic71
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM
mmmm....
So hard to isolate just 3.

1. Evert beating Navratilova to win Roland Garros title number 6 in 1985 (after having beaten Martina only once in their previous 14 meetings)

2. Seles winning Roland Garros in 1990.

3.The stabbing incident unfortunately.....otherwise it would be Everts last match in 1989 at the Us Open.

Andy.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:25 PM
Mary Pierce winning the French Open
Masha winning Wimbledon
The Willaims sisters playing 4 grandslam finals in a row and 5 out of 6

Duramont
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
1. Claudine Schaul beating Lindsay Davenport in Strasbourg 2004 final :bounce:
2. Anastasia Myskina winning Roland Garros :bounce:
3. Anne Kremer's two titles in 2002 :D

4. Amelie Mauresmo becoming Number 1 in the world :D

Geoffry
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
- Capriati defeating Clijsters in the final at Roland Garros 2001
- Serena and Venus in their first GS final against eachother
- Justine winning the Olympics

Caz
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
1. Magui Serna def. Mary Pierce, Wimbledon 2000. :worship:

2. Vivi Ruano def. Martina Hingis, Wimbledon 2001. :worship:

3. Patricia Tarabini winning a doubles match with Caroline Vis at RG 2003! ;) :worship: :worship:

If we're including mens tennis, number three would be Goran winning Wimbledon 2001! I'm still smiling about that!! :D :worship:

DA FOREHAND
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Steffi Graf Winning THE GRAND SLAM
Steffi Graf defeating Hingis 99 French

McEnroe -v- Borg Wimbledon 1980

Tichi
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
- 2001 RG final, Capriati and Clijsters made it a wonderful match, both have been so close to victory and both so close to defeat..it was a pleasure watching it!
- YEC 2003 final, Clijsters really played her best tennis there. Almost every shot she made was so welplaced, she searched the angles, moved extremely wel...I think that was really her topmoment, she could have beat anyone!
- Waking up back in january 2003, during the night the semifinals of the AO were played. They showed the match later that day and even though Serena defeated Kim after trailing 5-1 in the third, I really enjoyed that match!

Frank Riley
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
2002 Meeting and talking to Anna Kournikova.
2002 Meeting and talking to Jelena Dokic and her Mom.
2004 Press Crendential to the 2004 Acura Classic were I was a press photographer. (Also talked to many players: Serena, Myskina, Sharapova...

One other moment of note was my two USTA Championships in doubles in California.

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:39 PM
World Number One Monica Seles dismantled Second ranked at the 1992 French Open Finals which is dubbed by sport historians and fans alike as the Greatest Female Tennis Match in the Open Era.
... :D

Fans voted for FO 99 final in the great WTA vote last year, Dumbo ...

Calimero377
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:47 PM

1) Graf punishing Hingis in FO 99 final. Pure Hollywood (Rocky-style)!
2) Graf's glorious win against Seles at USO 95 (Seles with the "moral high ground", Graf injured, daddy thrown into prison, crowd against her)
3) Graf destroying 8-times Wimby champ Navratilova in 88 final. No woman ever played better tennis than Graf in the last 6 sets - the video still stands the test of time.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

DevilishAttitude
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:54 PM
#1 Jennifer Capriati winning the Aus Open 2002 one of the greatest comebacks in history :worship: :bowdown:
#2 The French Open 2003 Semi between Serena vs Henin - one of the most conterversial / tense matches ever :bowdown:
#3 US Open 2004 - so many tight, tense, conterversial, emotional matches and completely overshadowed the mens event :worship:

Special mention to Venus 2000 Wimbledon, Jenny vs Kim 2001 French Open, Elena Dementieva at US Open and Serena vs Amelie matches this year :worship: :bowdown:

Mariangelina
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM
1. Amélie Mauresmo and Serena Williams's Wimbledon semi 2004. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. :worship:
2. When Mauresmo became #1. :worship:
3. When Venus Williams was injured in last year's Wimbledon final. :sad: Memorable in a very unfortunate way.

Chunchun
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
2003 Amelie Island - lenaD def. Justine & Lindsay en route to first title :D
2004 Hasselt - LenaD rocks! although it's a small title, i m v excited
2003 AO - Serena complete the serena slam!

Flo1330
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:19 PM
1. French Open 2003: Kim and Justine won their semifinals. First Grand Slam for Belgium!
2. Olympics 2004: Justine won the gold medal. Especially after her victory against Myskina, I was incredibly happy.
3. Wimbledon 2001: Justine's first grand slam final, after her victory against Capriati.

drive-volley
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:03 PM
1. French Open 2002: All Williams Final. Venus taking pictures of Serena. It was cute!!! This was the moment I fell in love with the Sisters:).
2. French Open 2003: Interview with Serena after semifinal against HH. So heartbreaking :sad: .
3. J&S Cup 2004: Venus winning the tounament in the city I live :bounce: . Miracles happen! :bounce:

Coetzer Fan
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM
1. Amanda Coetzer def. Steffi Graf 6-0 6-0 in Berlin 97´ or 98´

2. Steffi Graf def. Martina Hingis (French Open Final)

3. Amanda Coetzer def. Martina Hingis in Leipzig SF (i think it was 97´)

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:45 PM
french open 1992 final: memorable match beetwen Seles and Graf (GRAF LOST)
21 june 1994: Graf lost to Lory Mcneill in the first round in Wimbledon: historical and unforgettable.............
july 1999 Linday beat Graf in Wimbledon final

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM
1) Graf punishing Hingis in FO 99 final. Pure Hollywood (Rocky-style)!
2) Graf's glorious win against Seles at USO 95 (Seles with the "moral high ground", Graf injured, daddy thrown into prison, crowd against her)
3) Graf destroying 8-times Wimby champ Navratilova in 88 final. No woman ever played better tennis than Graf in the last 6 sets - the video still stands the test of time.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

OMG two disgraceful matches + one lucky match :
1) how about referees scandal in RG 1999 final? :tape:
2) the only memorable thing in USO 1995 was the stolen Seles set point in the first set (a regular ace was called out) and the second set was 6-0 for Seles........
3) Nav was dominating (she had won the first set and was 2-1 up in the second set) but the match was interrupted by rain (if I'm not mistaken):afterward poor Nav had problems in a knee b/c of the umidity....

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM
1. Amanda Coetzer def. Steffi Graf 6-0 6-0 in Berlin 97´ or 98´

2. Steffi Graf def. Martina Hingis (French Open Final)

3. Amanda Coetzer def. Martina Hingis in Leipzig SF (i think it was 97´)

Graf never lost 0-6, 0-6 to Coetzer.

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:27 PM
OMG two disgraceful matches + one lucky match :
1) how about referees scandal in RG 1999 final? :tape:
2) the only memorable thing in USO 1995 was the stolen Seles set point in the first set (a regular ace was called out) and the second set was 6-0 for Seles........
3) Nav was dominating (she had won the first set and was 2-1 up in the second set) but the match was interrupted by rain (if I'm not mistaken):afterward poor Nav had problems in a knee b/c of the umidity....

1) Which referee scandal? Not disqualifying Hingis after she threw a racket after having received a warning already? Come on - it would have shortened the fun!

2) The serve was clearly out. Graf shook her head in disgust because of Seles protesting and the jingoistic crowd (well part of the crowd) booed.

3) Graf lead 5-3 in the first set but lost 6 consecutive games after that, giving Navi a 7-5, 2-0 lead. Then Graf changed her racket and won the next NINE matches before Navi stole a single game. Then rain interruption (Graf leading 5-7, 6-2, 3-1). After a 1 hour break Graf wrapped up the match by winning the last 3 games as well. So you say Navi had probs with the knee in the last 3 games?
Wouldn't say that. Navi's problem was something else. Graf in peak form.
Ask Seles and ASV. They know what can happen to you in that situation ....

Bad luck, Tennisdumbo. Another Graf-hater's lie disclosed ...

Brandon85
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:29 PM
jennifer winning her first major. tear jerker.

bandabou
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Serena def Martina H for ´99 u.s. open title....first black female major champion since Athea Gibson!! :bounce: Still wondering what made it take so long?

Serena vs Venus ´01 u.s.open final...who would have thought that the first all-sister final since the year 18-something, would be between two black sisters?

And the same for when Serena and Venus became no.1 and no.2....

Serena and Venus becoming the ONLY pair of women to meet in four straight major finals.

tennislover
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:32 PM
1) Which referee scandal? Not disqualifying Hingis after she threw a racket after having received a warning already? Come on - it would have shortened the fun!

2) The serve was clearly out. Graf shook her head in disgust because of Seles protesting and the jingoistic crowd (well part of the crowd) booed.

3) Graf lead 5-3 in the first set but lost 6 consecutive games after that, giving Navi a 7-5, 2-0 lead. Then Graf changed her racket and won the next NINE matches before Navi stole a single game. Then rain interruption (Graf leading 5-7, 6-2, 3-1). After a 1 hour break Graf wrapped up the match by winning the last 3 games as well. So you say Navi had probs with the knee in the last 3 games?

the serve was clear out????????????? I saw the replays the day after, and it was clearly in!!!!! and also some leading italian journalists said that

about hingis she was furious b/c of clear referees wrong calls

poor martina was not fit

bandabou
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:33 PM

Hey Cali...but something I don´t get: I thought Steffi at PEAK form wasn´t supposed to be dropping sets, let alone TRAIL, in matches? :scratch:

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:36 PM
the serve was clear out????????????? I saw the replays the day after, and it was clearly in!!!!! and also some leading italian journalists said that

I still have the video. And a 106-cm LCD flat-screen TV. With super-slomo.
The ball was out.

BTW, some leading South-African journalist said that too.

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Hey Cali...but something I don´t get: I thought Steffi at PEAK form wasn´t supposed to be dropping sets, let alone TRAIL, in matches? :scratch:

Read my post carefully, Bandydumbo.
What about "knee problems after rain delay" and "Graf in peak form" you didn't grasp?
I'll give you a good advice - stop guzzling whisky when you discuss with me ...

bandabou
Dec 4th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Read my post carefully, Bandydumbo.
What about "knee problems after rain delay" and "Graf in peak form" you didn't grasp?
I'll give you a good advice - stop guzzling whisky when you discuss with me ...

No,no.....not that easy, cali. So do we have to understand that you speak of peak Graf only when she turns a match around from set and break down?

am I wrong or did you say the score was: 5-7 0-2 against Graf, then she changed rackets and then she won the second-set and led 3-1 in the third....

So when exactly does peak Graf come into the picture?

Calimero377
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:33 PM
No,no.....not that easy, cali. So do we have to understand that you speak of peak Graf only when she turns a match around from set and break down?

am I wrong or did you say the score was: 5-7 0-2 against Graf, then she changed rackets and then she won the second-set and led 3-1 in the third....

So when exactly does peak Graf come into the picture?

Even peak Graf can lose sets to Wimbledon queen Navratilova in peak form.
Graf beat Navi again in Wimbledon 89 final. Another outstanding Graf match. Navi served better that day than in 88. And won 1 set again.

Navratilova is the only player who could do that - take one set away from a peak Graf.
The three "S" usually folded in two sets on those days (eg. AO 89 semis, Wimbledon 92 final, AO 94 final).
That's why Graf always says that Navi was her best opponent by far.

cartmancop
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Venus breaking through to win her first GS at Wimby in '00. That was the start of the great run that included a huge win streak, 2 gold medals, and a US Open too.

Jen saving 4 match points vs. Hingis. I still feel bad for Hingis... .She'd still be playing if she had won that one.

Justine's great comeback against Jennifer in the USO sf in '03. Even more miraculous was how she came back to dominate in the final the next day.

bandabou
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Even peak Graf can lose sets to Wimbledon queen Navratilova in peak form.
Graf beat Navi again in Wimbledon 89 final. Another outstanding Graf match. Navi served better that day than in 88. And won 1 set again.

Navratilova is the only player who could do that - take one set away from a peak Graf.
The three "S" usually folded in two sets on those days (eg. AO 89 semis, Wimbledon 92 final, AO 94 final).
That's why Graf always says that Navi was her best opponent by far.

aaahh....so peak Graf wasn´t THAT unchallengable as you made it seem afterall.

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:08 AM
aaahh....so peak Graf wasn´t THAT unchallengable as you made it seem afterall.

What's unchallengable in your book?
A 6-0, 6-0 win??
Of course every professional tennis player will make at last one point against peak Graf. Every top-50 player will at least snatch a game against peak Graf. And the second-best ever, Martina N., sometimes even won a SET against peak Graf.

Your point being?

:confused:

tennisIlove09
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:15 AM
just a quick correction: Venus/Serena became #1/#2 after Serena came back from a set down to beat Jennifer Capriati in the semis of the French ;) She didn't have to beat Vee to become #2 :)

OK, my top three moments, since Wimbledon 2000:

#3-Australian Open 2003: Serena completes the Serena Slam. Even though it was over Vee ;) :D Still amazing, and she looked great in the process :D

#2-US Open 2000: Venus' semi final over Martina Hingis is *the* best match I've ever seen. Ever.

#1-Wimbledon 2000: The entire event. It was the first time I watched a tennis event, and actually cared and rooted for someone. From the nailbiting quarter final over Hingis, with the ace on match point and her scream when she won, to the emotional, topsy semi with Serena, to the leap when Davenport missed the volley on match point....it's just amazing, and those matches still take my breath away.

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM
just a quick correction: Venus/Serena became #1/#2 after Serena came back from a set down to beat Jennifer Capriati in the semis of the French ;) She didn't have to beat Vee to become #2 :)

OK, my top three moments, since Wimbledon 2000:

#3-Australian Open 2003: Serena completes the Serena Slam. Even though it was over Vee ;) :D Still amazing, and she looked great in the process :D

#2-US Open 2000: Venus' semi final over Martina Hingis is *the* best match I've ever seen. Ever.

#1-Wimbledon 2000: The entire event. It was the first time I watched a tennis event, and actually cared and rooted for someone. From the nailbiting quarter final over Hingis, with the ace on match point and her scream when she won, to the emotional, topsy semi with Serena, to the leap when Davenport missed the volley on match point....it's just amazing, and those matches still take my breath away.

It is obvious that you started watching tennis only after Graf's retirement (in 1999).

Andy T
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Three positive Martina moments:

1984 French Open: beat Chrissie 63 61 - I've never seen such a perfect exhibition of attacking tennis on a clay court and that against one of the greatest baseliners I've ever seen.

1987 Wimbledon: beat Steffi 75 63 - even at 30 years old, Martina showed that day her great grasscourt skills to lift her first title of the year. A wonderful performance full of genious, guile and guts.

1990 Wimbledon: not the greatest final but to see a 33-year-old Martina break Helen Wills' record was such a privilege in itself.

Three tough Martina moments:
1981 US Open Final: agonising 3s tie break loss to Austin after having won the first set 6-1
1987 Roland Garros Final: surrendering a 5-3 fs lead to lose to Steffi for the first time in a slam.
1985 Roland Garros Final:A wonderful see-saw match of breathtaking quality between two tigresses which was so close at the end. A fantastic performance by Chris.

Three Other Memorable Moments:
1980 Wimbledon: Watching Evonne pick up her second Wimbledon.
1993 Wimbledon: The Novotna collapse vs Steffi in the final.
1995 Atlantic City NJ/1996 Australian Open: seeing Monica back on the court/winning another major.

chris whiteside
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Edberg beating Becker to win Wimbledon 1988 would be in my top 3 but I assume you mean women's tennis?

Ann Jones beating Billie Jean King to win the women's singles at Wimbledon 1969

Evonne Cawley beating Chris Evert in the 1980 women's Wimbledon final

Steffi Graf beating Martina Hingis in the 1999 RG final.

TomTennis
Dec 5th, 2004, 11:07 AM
- Serena completing Serena Slam
- Venus wining TWO gold medals at Olympics
- That cheating little Croat at Wimby 2004 against Venus.....will never forgive/forget that!

bandabou
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:00 PM
What's unchallengable in your book?
A 6-0, 6-0 win??
Of course every professional tennis player will make at last one point against peak Graf. Every top-50 player will at least snatch a game against peak Graf. And the second-best ever, Martina N., sometimes even won a SET against peak Graf.

Your point being?

:confused:

My point being? You just admitted it yourself.....

You always made it seem like peak-Graf was unbeatable, would barely lose games, etc......but here she was: having to rally ´88 and ´89.....why wait so long to put the "peak" in action?

tennislover
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Three positive Martina moments:

1984 French Open: beat Chrissie 63 61 - I've never seen such a perfect exhibition of attacking tennis on a clay court and that against one of the greatest baseliners I've ever seen.

1987 Wimbledon: beat Steffi 75 63 - even at 30 years old, Martina showed that day her great grasscourt skills to lift her first title of the year. A wonderful performance full of genious, guile and guts.

1990 Wimbledon: not the greatest final but to see a 33-year-old Martina break Helen Wills' record was such a privilege in itself.

Three tough Martina moments:
1981 US Open Final: agonising 3s tie break loss to Austin after having won the first set 6-1
1987 Roland Garros Final: surrendering a 5-3 fs lead to lose to Steffi for the first time in a slam.
1985 Roland Garros Final:A wonderful see-saw match of breathtaking quality between two tigresses which was so close at the end. A fantastic performance by Chris.

Three Other Memorable Moments:
1980 Wimbledon: Watching Evonne pick up her second Wimbledon.

1995 Atlantic City NJ/1996 Australian Open: seeing Monica back on the court/winning another major.

Sweet memories.....ty Andy :kiss:

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM
My point being? You just admitted it yourself.....

You always made it seem like peak-Graf was unbeatable, would barely lose games, etc......but here she was: having to rally ´88 and ´89.....why wait so long to put the "peak" in action?

Peak Graf was unbeatable.
But peak Graf of course would lose games etc.
Even against players like ASV and Seles there was somtimes a lull for 10 or 20 minutes. As Navi on grass court is perhaps the greatest opponent imaginable it is no wonder that those 20 minutes resulted in 6 consecutive game losses for Graf.

Or even have a look at one of Graf's 10 best-ever matches, her USO 96 final against Seles. Graf ONLY won 7-5, 6-4 although the match was more one-sided that the result may make it seem (Graf made 79-66 points). Graf lost NINE games! Nevertheless it was the best match in her last 4 years on the tour (the Venus Wimbledon 99 match MAYBE comparable).

Bероника
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:38 PM
-Monica winning her first slam (French Open 1990)
-Gaby winning the Us Open 1990
-Monica getting to number 1 (march,11th 1991)

Grohl
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:42 PM
kim in final of rolang garros
seeing sprem play live at the fed cup in bree
seeing sprem and camerin live in hasselt

Veritas
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Monica df Graf at the 1990 French Open; and Monica df Hingis at the 1998 French Open. I loved her reactions ;)

NicoMary
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Pierce winning Filderstad:eek:

PIERCE winning Hilton head:worship: :hearts: :hearts:

Venus winning Wimbly:worship: :hearts: :eek: :eek: :eek: :bounce:

bandabou
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Peak Graf was unbeatable.
But peak Graf of course would lose games etc.
Even against players like ASV and Seles there was somtimes a lull for 10 or 20 minutes. As Navi on grass court is perhaps the greatest opponent imaginable it is no wonder that those 20 minutes resulted in 6 consecutive game losses for Graf.

Or even have a look at one of Graf's 10 best-ever matches, her USO 96 final against Seles. Graf ONLY won 7-5, 6-4 although the match was more one-sided that the result may make it seem (Graf made 79-66 points). Graf lost NINE games! Nevertheless it was the best match in her last 4 years on the tour (the Venus Wimbledon 99 match MAYBE comparable).

I see....o.k., logical explanation.

Venus took a set off of a (semi) peak Graf on grass....acomplishment!

Alvarillo
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:14 PM
1) Davis Cup Final 2000 - Winner: España
1) Davis Cup Final 2004 - Winner: España !!!
2) Ruano/Martinez Silver Medal in Athens
3) Fed Cup Final 1998 - España def Switzerland !!!!

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:16 PM
-Monica winning her first slam (French Open 1990)
-Gaby winning the Us Open 1990
-Monica getting to number 1 (march,11th 1991)

Well, Vroni, Graf still is the benchmark, isn't she?

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I see....o.k., logical explanation.

Venus took a set off of a (semi) peak Graf on grass....acomplishment!

Yes, the Wimbledon 99 quarters match between them was Graf's best match post-USO96 ...

bandabou
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Yes, the Wimbledon 99 quarters match between them was Graf's best match post-USO96 ...

Nice....still mad at Venus for blowing that volley in the third-set that would´ve brought her back in the match. Venus!!! :mad:

Calimero377
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Nice....still mad at Venus for blowing that volley in the third-set that would´ve brought her back in the match. Venus!!! :mad:

But nevertheless the best match V. Williams ever played in Wimbledon.
:worship:

2000 and 2001 only were an afterglow ...

Veritas
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM
But nevertheless the best match V. Williams ever played in Wimbledon.
:worship:

2000 and 2001 only were an afterglow ...

Venus at her 2000 and 2001 level would have had a much stronger chance at beating Steffi.

flyingmachine
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:55 PM
1. Goran won Wimbledon. I know it's not WTA but it's very memorable for me. Especailly when he was serving at the last set of the game. I screamed at the T.V. "COME ON GORAN HAVE A ACE NOW." It was too emotional when him did it. I cried. :bigcry:

2. Novatna won Wimblendon. I was so happy when she won it. Especially after all these finals she had. It was so emotional like what happened when Goran won I cried too. :bigcry:

3. Justine vs Cappy US open 2003. This is truly classic what a come back I 'cant belive Justine could make it but she did. :hearts: I was so happy that I didn't sleep on that night. :bounce: