PDA

View Full Version : Injury is part of the game... or not.

denzuko
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:38 AM
So many injured top players this year.
Some of us think that some players don't deserve their wins, rankings, etc.
Injury is become everyday problem, and so many people unhappy about it.

So here it is.

In professional sports there are always some risks involved.
You can get injured if you're not carefull, practise too hard, playing too many tournaments, trying too hard to get to the top, injured by your opponent (ie. boxing), or fighting with other players, or fans (well, maybe not in tennis), simply slipped in a match (happened a lot in tennis), too weak, too young or getting too old for the sport, etc.

In competitive sports like tennis, those thing are parts of the game.
Some players injured because of it.
Maybe we can count out something like illness (flu, headache, or virus related illness) and something like skiing accident on vacation, got hit by a cab, bitten by a dog, or other bizzare thing :)
I'm not sure if personal problem considered as 'injury', like mental breakdown, caused by problem with coach, parents, or other things.

Some players choose not to play at smaller tournament when they're 'injured',
or simply retired at some point, but then playing at the next bigger tournament. Yes, some of them maybe can fake it... but there's penalty if they got caught.
The reason is simple, maybe because the reward is worthed.
Release the small fish to catch a bigger one.

So if players don't calculated their moves carefully, they could injured themself for a long time or permanent which can lead to early retirement.

As long as the injury is tennis related, I vote yes.

Philbo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:05 AM
I absolutely agree.

Getting stabbed on a tennis court however is NOT a tennis related injury.

Therefore, if players just break down due to the wear and tear of the day in, day out grind of the tour - thats too bad for them - if their body cant handle the grind of the tour then they dont deserve any credit for slams they missed out on.

Ive made this point before in the Graf/Seles wars where Graffans will use Steffi's injury problems to balance out Seles stabbing absence, but the difference between the two is chalk and cheese..

Steffi had a brittle body that couldnt hold up playing tennis beyond 30. Monica was stabbed on court - there is a huge difference..

Im just pre-empting what Calimero Parche will come in here and post.

Training and preparation is part of preventing injury. Luck has a small part to play in injuries, but many of the small wear and tear injuries can be prevented with the correct training technique, or changing some technique in your game..

You'll notice Mauresmo has nowhere near as much back-bend on her serve nowadays due to her constant back problems - good move by Amelie.

There is a lot that the top players of today could learn about training/game technique and injury prevention.

Power tennis is the thing of today, and I believe more injuries are as a result of just how intense the top players wack the ball - its not as sustainable on the body.

GoDominique
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:11 AM
Im just pre-empting what Calimero Parche will come in here and post.
He means a lot to you, doesn't he? Must be true love. :)

Philbo
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
He means a lot to you, doesn't he? Must be true love. :)
More like true hate.

Fingon
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
injuries are part of the game, but the amount of players injured is beyond normal, and the WTA is to blame for that.

the insane schedule, the ridiculous AER, the absurd gold excepton system, it all mounts up.

Not ALL injuries are because of that, but a big deal of them are.

the players should boycott the WTA and demand Larry Scott to go, then force a change in the rules.

Dava
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:24 AM
yes you cant deny it,

Lemonskin.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:53 AM
Absolutely

SzavayFi
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
I hate injury but yea it definately is part of the game.

Dawn Marie
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:48 AM
Of course injury is a part of the tennis sport. Players in sports get hurt all the time and tennis is no exception. I mean if my Bengals knocked out the Browns QB, I would not mind so much.:) Injuries happen.

Even though it was not a "tennis related" injury(Monica's stabbing) it was still an injury and no matter what Seles fans or Graf fans think.. WE WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT MONICA WOULD HAVE DONE regarding grandslams.

P.S. I am sick of the Seles and that stabbing stuff. Let the past be the past. I bet Monica would like to put it away forever.

TennisTutor
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE=Czechfan]I absolutely agree.

Getting stabbed on a tennis court however is NOT a tennis related injury.

Therefore, if players just break down due to the wear and tear of the day in, day out grind of the tour - thats too bad for them - if their body cant handle the grind of the tour then they dont deserve any credit for slams they missed out on.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Great post.

tennischick
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM
stabbing is not an injury

JLDementieva
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:42 AM
Yes, injury is part of the game, and we all need to accept it.

SzavayFi
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:45 AM
stabbing is not an injury
yes, that is just not right is what that is....monica :sad: