PDA

View Full Version : Amelie- No to Syndey, Fd Cup reflection..

monster
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
...article here..
PARIS : Former world number one Amelie Mauresmo insisted she had no regrets over her decision not to play for France in her country's doomed attempt to defend the Fed Cup.

Mauresmo outraged team captain Guy Forget over her withdrawal from the French team which lost to Russia but she believes she desperately needed a break from the game in order to be fully prepared for the 2005 season.

displayAd("www.channelnewsasia.com/sports","Middle")function gondp2004dvd(){newwin = window.open("http://ad01.mediacorpsingapore.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.channelnewsasia.com/sports/409964483/Middle/cna_ndp_dvd/ndp2004dvd_300x250_HTML.htm/63623132656531613431616638363130?2004.12.02.21.16. 15","ADS",'width=720,height=560,toolbar=yes,location=yes,di rectories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,scrollbars=ye s,resizable=yes');}
"I came back from vacation on Sunday and I saw the last two matches on television," said the 25-year-old.

"I don't regret at all not going to Moscow because I took my decision for sporting reasons. I discussed my reasons with Guy Forget but that will stay between him and me."

Mauresmo, who briefly held the world number one spot last season before surrendering it to Lindsay Davenport, said she will skip the 2005 opener in Sydney to prepare her assault on the opening Grand Slam of the season, the Australian Open in Melbourne later in January.

"For the first time, I see myself not taking part in Sydney because I want to arrive in Melbourne fresh physically and mentally," said Mauresmo.

"It is the only Grand Slam where I can do this."

The Frenchwoman has yet to crack her Grand Slam duck but she believes the lack of a major title should not discredit her place as a world number one.

"Women's tennis improves every year," she said. "It is more demanding and becomes more and more difficult. In my opinion, no one player will dominate for year after year like, for example, Steffi Graf did."

vertigo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
Good for her. It's good to see her attempting to do everything she believes she can, to put herself in the best position for the AO. Personally, I wish she were playing Syndey as a warm up event, particularly as I'm in Syndey and would have loved to see her. But I sincerely wish her all the best in her training and preparations regardless of her treachery!!!

Volcana
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
It's gotta be tough for players like Mauresmo, who are the only elite player their country has. Russia, the USA, Belgium when healthy, all have a #2 player who can win two singles matches. France onlyhas one top twenty player, which increases the pressure on her to play and perform.

If Serena Williams or Lindsay Davenport or Anastasia Myskina or Svetlana Kuznetsova don't want to play, it's not the end of the world for their team.

Shenanigans
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:21 AM
Nice comments from Amélie, hopefully her and Guy can put what happened in the past behind him! good luck for 2005

fammmmedspin
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Just doesn't make much sense. She seems to be building herself up to get a big win which is becoming even more important and abandoning everything to try and get it. But her problem isn't being physically tired at big events its losing big matches because she reacts to the pressure. Adding presure just makes it worse. its as if being number 1 made her think she had to have a big win to justify it. It gets even worse if she doesn't win the AO as she will have given up so much to no purpose.....Forget should have explained that to her too.

Certainly going to be interesting. Lindsay and Nastya will arrive with the Hopman Cup and Sydney under their belt and Nastya and Sveta will have only had 4 weeks break. Others will have played HK and/or Sydney and some people will have been resting since the YEC. Not a lot of consensus there on how to prepare for a GS.

Shenanigans
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:47 AM
fammmedspin, it has been a long season for her, she reached no.1 without a slam win that shows how consisent she had been and that she was reaching SF's and finals of tournements thus playing alot of matches this year.

She lead the French Fed Cup Team to victory last year, so she has been there done that and maybe she thinks it's Amélie time, What is the thing I would really love? A GS and she is doing for her what is best to achieve it.

MinnyGophers
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:20 AM
i agree. Amelie needs to put herself first now.... i understand that France needs her because she is their lone champion, but she can't carry them forever and sacrifice herself.

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Whaha! No Sydney! :sad: That's okay, I understand her decision as she need to win a Grand Slam title but I hope she take it to home.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
But she is still playing the exhibition in Hong Kong right?????