PDA

View Full Version : how will Clijsters be received by Australian fans and media?

vogus
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
in the past Kim Clijsters has been viewed by Australia as one of their own, based on her long-running relationship with Hewitt and that she might take Australian citizenship when they got married. Now that the air has been let out of that balloon, will Clijsters just go back to being a regular Belgian in the eyes of Australians? No more shouts of "Aussie Kim" at the matches and so forth? It'll be interesting to see how she is received in Aus - (if she even shows up there, which seems to be somewhat uncertain at this point with her injury still a factor).

Bezz
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
I think kim will still be liked alot even though she and Lleyton are no more. She is still a nice girl and hasnt slagged him or Australia off. I am she sure she will get just as much support.

Wouldnt it be funny if they started shouting "Aussie tati!" i know its just a rumour but it could happen.

fifiricci
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Well Kim probably won't be in Aus this year and if there is any lingering resentment from the crowd in 2006, that would be a tad pathetic don't you think?

Anyway, I don't believe that the Aussies will have turned against Kim as such. Judging by the Aussie posters in CCL (and there a quite a lot of them :) ), people don't resent her because her relationship with Lleyton Blewitt is over.

I think a lot of Aussies also understand that Kim did wonders for Lleyton's manners so they should be thanking her for making him a "better person" (his words by the way) when they were together.

http://smileys.******************/cat/26/26_11_14.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm371)

WTAaddict
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
I see no difference!!!Australians are no IDIOTS!!!!!

katiektc
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM
why did kim and hewitt split anyway? did they ever share the reasons? :confused:

Kart
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Maybe they'll cheer for her more :shrug:.

WTAaddict
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
why did kim and hewitt split anyway? did they ever share the reasons? :confused:

Do they have to??

fifiricci
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
IWouldnt it be funny if they started shouting "Aussie tati!" i know its just a rumour but it could happen.
:lol: It doesnt sound half as good as "Aussie Kim" does it? Maybe "Aussie Tat" sounds better? :p

Lemonskin.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:26 PM
I'll give you the prespective of an Aussie non-Kim fan.

Last year, I really WANTED Kim to win in the semis and the finals, not because she was a fave of mine, but because she was going out with Lleyton. Now she's not with Lleyton, I couldn't really give a stuff if she wins the thing or loses 1st round.

I was a fan of Tati before the Lleyton rumours but if they prove true I'd be a way bigger fan. But there has been NOTHING said in the Australian media about their alleged connection. Nothing. So I doubt Aussies would be chanting "Aussie Tati" because noone would know about it!!!

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Plus if Alicia keep developing like she´s been doing , the aussies wouldn´t have to adopt anybody to have a realistic chance of a major winner...

Grohl
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
it would be a little childish to go and treat kim differently because she and lleyton are no longer together! Is it kim's fault? No, is it lleyton's fault? no!
and I think Kim will be loved wherever she goes

jrm
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Kim is loved by most people regardless who's dating - won't have any problems Down Under

Grohl
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
but she will nowhere be loved as much in her hometown

Micky
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
i'm an Aussie and i still love her, but their are some people who were interested in her b/c she was lleyton's girl, and now won't be rude but will just have no interest in her (like my brothers and sisters :rolleyes: )

SzavayFi
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
nice thread, uhh, yea noone can dislike Kim. they just wont be interested as much, as a agree with Micky.

clonesheep
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:03 AM
There used to be Aussie Jelena, who was ranked No.4 in the world and finished 4th at the Olympics. Then Jelena escaped. Then came Aussie Kim, world No.1 but the deal soon falled apart. Father Damir and Father Leo were involved. The lesson: adopted daughters ain't no good. Might as well stick with Aussie Alicia.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:17 AM
I'm a fan and I will still cheer for her:)

I think there will be a lot less interest in her media wise and like Fi said she is highly unlikely to play in 2005 cause of her wrist so if they still hold any 'resentment' towards her by 2006 well that is a little childish. I'm not a Dokic fan but if she played here I'd have no problem and I think she would be respected by the media and the crowd and I think the same stands for Kim, but what must be remembered is that Kim never played for Australia and at AO this year she made it very clear she was never going to, so she hasn't done anything to Australia. Who knows, she may even receive a little more respect for her tennis than she did before as it used to all be she is lleyton's girl blah blah blah so now they may just look at her for the great tennis she can play and give that a bit more respect and for once recognise she has her own coach who has done a great job with her rather than just crediting her success to lleyton's coach as the aussie media and commentators like to.
By 2006 I'd hope the media would have found something else to talk about and I think they will as Kim-Lleyton aren't in the press anymore recently. I'd think she wouldn't even be asked about Lleyton in her pc by 2006, who knows by then she may have a new boyfriend and Lleyton a new girlfriend.

Now she's not with Lleyton, I couldn't really give a stuff if she wins the thing or loses 1st round.
Yeah other than her fans I think that is how a lot of Aussies will be, but I don't think she will be treated bad or anything. But just a lot less attention and pressure.

But there has been NOTHING said in the Australian media about their alleged connection. Nothing.

Well actually it was mentioned in my newspaper, but I don't believe it. Lleyton is in Australia and Golovin has just been in Russia so they sure don't see much of each other:p

tennischick
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:55 AM
isn't the better question: "does Kim dare show her face Down Unda?" :confused: creo que si...

Prizeidiot
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
I'm still a Kim fan... because she's a genuinely nice person. I don't think anyone with a brain will be bitter, because break ups happen, it's not like she dumped him and picked up someone new the next day. And anyway, a lot of people don't like Hewitt much (like me) due to his cmons after his opponent double faults or hits an unforced error.

Fantastic
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
I've always thought Kim to be a bit of cold, humourless fish. I'm a bigger fan of Lleyton. It's all good in the end, he can concentrate on his tennis and less on any silly wedding plans. She'll play crap without him hitting with her now.

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 01:11 PM
The Australian fans are really great!:D I'm positive they'll cheer for Kim like they did before.

ans
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
I've always thought Kim to be a bit of cold, humourless fish.
Wow, what's your idea of a warmhearted, good person then?:confused:

ans
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
I've always thought Kim to be a bit of cold, humourless fish.
Wow, what's your idea of a warmhearted, good person then?:confused:

fifiricci
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
I've always thought Kim to be a bit of cold, humourless fish. I'm a bigger fan of Lleyton. It's all good in the end, he can concentrate on his tennis and less on any silly wedding plans. She'll play crap without him hitting with her now.
Wow, no sour grapes there then! :lol:

Gowza
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:22 PM
i dont think she will have as much support as she use to, being hewitts gf and fiancee a lot of aussies cheered for her just because of that and to australia because of that she became almost like another aussie when she played in australia especially at the open and kno her ties with hewitt are cut in-terms of a more than friends relationship i dont think she will get the aussie support as much, but i think by getting aus fans the way she did (through hewitt) that she also made true fans through the process and those fans will stay with her. so she will have some support but not quite as much, it will be interesting to see how the media reacts during the open tho.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM
She'll play crap without him hitting with her now.
See that was exactly my point to the Australian media and many Australians she only played as she did cause of hitting with Lleyton or his coach, now while that was beneficial, she has her own coach and also hits with some of the Belgian guys, so hopefully now Marc Dehous will get more credit. Was lleyton or his coach even there when she won either of her 2 LA titles or her RG doubles, no. And she didn't ever really practice that much with Lleyton, she said they used to hit lightly but never that seriously.

Wow, no sour grapes there then! :lol:

:worship:

F-R-E-A-K
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:30 AM
The Australian media will have ALOT of questions no doubt.

I think the Australian public will feel the same toward Kimmy.

JohnBoy
Dec 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Their will be alot of attention placed on her particularly with the tabloid press ( Rupert Murdoch Papers) other than that I think most Australian's will still be respectfull of her.. Some may even think it was a good idea that the relationship ended as he is quite a surly character and she is more open.

Fantastic
Dec 4th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Sour grapes? I was never a big fan of hers. Her matches don't interest me unless it is a semi or final against someone I like. How is she warm-hearted? I've seen how she acts in person and I've seen how she acts in front of the media - It's like watching two very different people. The real Kim was when she was trading barbs with Justine Henin during the US hard court season last year. Naturally, everyone took her side back then because of how "sweet" she appeared to be and how Justine "cheated" at Roland Garros. I prefer bitchy Kim to the fence-sitter model. Sorry if I'm not writing what is expected to be written about her, but IMO she is a cold, humourless person in real life.

Brαm
Dec 4th, 2004, 02:04 PM
she is a cold, humourless person in real life.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SPORT/11/04/riddell.tennis/story.tennis.clijsters.jpg

http://www.sporever.fr/Resultats_Tennis/photos/k_clijsters.jpg

http://www.hurriyetim.com.tr/displayimage/0,,112070,00.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1068329569944_2003/11/11/240kim_clijsters,0.jpg

http://62.235.13.231/belgafeed/443881.jpg

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2003/jun/05kim.jpg

Yeah she sure is cold and humourless :scared: :tape:

hayden_tennis
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:18 AM
i wanna see her play olivia lukazewic in the first round. this culd be olivia's only chance at winning a main draw match haha

~|Naomi|~
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:51 AM
I've seen how she acts in person
So that means you know her then?:rolleyes: I know a couple of people who do and they would disagree with you and I'd take their opinion over yours given you have just seen how she acts not actually got to know her. I'm not saying they think she is an angel cause they don't but they do know her they haven't just seen her in person.

i wanna see her play olivia lukazewic in the first round. this culd be olivia's only chance at winning a main draw match haha
Oh yes Olivia would have a far greater chance of beating Kim who completed just three tournaments all year and still finished top 25 rather than a qualifier:rolleyes:

hayden_tennis
Dec 5th, 2004, 03:32 AM
no i jus think that the crowd would affect the match significantly, an aspect u failed to see.

DutchieGirl
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:54 AM
*shrugs* I was a fan of both Kim and Lleyton before they started going out, and I'm still a fan of them both since they split. So it doens't make a difference to me. I don't think that Aussie's will turn on here. There hasn't been any negative press about Kim when they split, so I think people won't cheer against her or anything. Althought she might not get the tag "Aussie Kim" anymore, which is fair enough.

DutchieGirl
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:57 AM
There used to be Aussie Jelena, who was ranked No.4 in the world and finished 4th at the Olympics. Then Jelena escaped. Then came Aussie Kim, world No.1 but the deal soon falled apart. Father Damir and Father Leo were involved. The lesson: adopted daughters ain't no good. Might as well stick with Aussie Alicia.
OK, there are ALOT of differences between Jelena and Kim. Kim never said herself that she was Australian. Jelena lived in Australia for something like 10 years. Kim wasn't trained in Australia and had never played for Australia, Jelena was, and has. Moreover, Kim has never slagged off Australia, while Jelena and her family have many times.

JCF
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I totally agree with you :worship:

Kim Clijsters is one of these ppl who everyone thinks is so nice, etc, etc. In reality, she is probably quite boring, not much interesting to say, and doesn't have a great sense of humour. Her press conferences are so :zzz: , she never has anything to say.

Grohl
Dec 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
isn't the better question: "does Kim dare show her face Down Unda?" :confused: creo que si...
it isn't about if she "dares to show her face", it is about if her wrist has healed enough to "show her face"! I don't think she has anything to be afraid of, and if it turns out wrongly, she always has her hometown!!! and a lot of other places where people will love her nomather what she does or says

vettipooh
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM
There might be mixed feelings because of the way the relationship ended. Remember she dumped him in a phone call. That may not sit too well with some Aussie fans. She might get a few boos. Somehow, I don't think she'll play AO this year. Too soon. The possibilty of running into Hewitt and his family,might be really uncomfortable for her at this point.

Alfie
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Well I disagree about Kim being humorless. Even the ATP Media Relations director called her a jokester, a "larrikin." Here's an excerpt from Tennis Week that I thought was quite funny.

By Brad Falkner
11/22/2003 Tennis Week

Kim Clijsters is high fiving and ass-slapping WTA staff, tournament officials and fellow players. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she brings a smile to an overworked and under appreciated WTA staff member. It’s the media day at the Staples Center during the season-ending Bank of America WTA Tour Championships, and Clijsters is being paraded around to the various media clusters.
She pleasantly works the room like a politician, exceeding the required number of media requests 10 fold. Without warning Clijsters escapes the clutches of the media and scampers across the room to greet her doubles partner, Ai Sugiyama. After a moment, Clijsters is easily cajoled by a WTA staff member to return to placate the media for another 45 minutes.
This is precisely why Clijsters is so unique among the top stars of the WTA Tour. She is a pleasant, polite, funny, silly, respectful, kind, considerate, effervescent young lady, whose gleeful smile is omnipresent. She has the ability to get down to business, as she did during her 52-minute domination of Amelie Mauresmo during the final, and the spontaneity to suddenly break from her final match practice to rush into the stands for a quick hug and kiss with George Lazenby — known both as 007 and Pam Shriver’s husband. (Comments Shriver as they embrace, "You’re the only one that he comes out to watch.")

Grohl
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Kim is not a cold humorless person

Alfie
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:01 PM
She's definitely not humorless

By Peter Bodo
From the April 2004 issue of TENNIS Magazine

"You would think that Kim herself is an Aussie," says Iggy Jovanovic, ATP director of public relations. "She's like players used to be in the old days, a bit of a larrikin [jokester]."

Veritas
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think people are blowing this "issue" way out of proportion. Tennis isn't even the most popular sport here, so I think most Australians wouldn't have cared at all about the Hewitt-Clijsters breakup.

Micky
Dec 5th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I think people are blowing this "issue" way out of proportion. Tennis isn't even the most popular sport here, so I think most Australians wouldn't have cared at all about the Hewitt-Clijsters breakup.
i have to disagree with u there, in summer tennis is huge here. the Hewitt- Clijsters break-up was also huge. on front page of all the papers and covered for 3 or 4 days after. Anything to do with Lleyton Hewitt is news, example on the front page of the Herald Sun(Melbourne) yesterday half the page was about how lleyton has brought a new car!

Alfie
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM
i have to disagree with u there, in summer tennis is huge here. the Hewitt- Clijsters break-up was also huge. on front page of all the papers and covered for 3 or 4 days after. Anything to do with Lleyton Hewitt is news, example on the front page of the Herald Sun(Melbourne) yesterday half the page was about how lleyton has brought a new car!

If Lleyton's new car is big news as in front page news, then Kim and Lleyton will definitely be major tabloid fodder in the Australian tennis summer season.
The article and accompanying picture of Lleyton's Ferrari is so silly and funny. Article title: "Lleyton's New Love" :lol:
I can see it now. Side by side pictures of Lleyton and Philippoussis, their fast cars and their ex-girlfriends.
I don't think the Aussie public would be mean to Kim but the Oz media stalkerazzi is another story. Someone on CCL posted reports from Belgium that the Australian Open is out of the question for Kim anyway.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:01 AM
no i jus think that the crowd would affect the match significantly, an aspect u failed to see.

No I didn't fail to see that because I don't think the entire crowd will boo Kim sure a few will, but say the whole crowd did boo Kim and cheer over the top for Olivia, Kim has far more experience and so if anything while being unsettling at first would pump her up while intimidate Olivia. There are a lot of things you fail to see.

OK, there are ALOT of differences between Jelena and Kim. Kim never said herself that she was Australian. Jelena lived in Australia for something like 10 years. Kim wasn't trained in Australia and had never played for Australia, Jelena was, and has. Moreover, Kim has never slagged off Australia, while Jelena and her family have many times.

You forgot Jelena was funded by tennis australia Kim wasn't;)

then Kim and Lleyton will definitely be major tabloid fodder in the Australian tennis summer season.

Yep if they both play they will be, however journalists can ask all they want but they won't neccessarily get any answers both Kim and Lleyton can ask to speak about tennis and tennis only in their pc, but yes if they both play we will probably get some more lovely reports in which the journalists write 'our sources' tell us, um yeh okay more like we made this bit up cause neither Kim or Lleyton would speak to us but putting them on page 1 sells our paper.

Veritas
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Hmm. I thought it was treated like an "issue" for just one day. I do remember the Herald Sun making a big deal about it. But it lasted just as long as an ice cube in the Sahara desert.

~|Naomi|~
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Hmm. I thought it was treated like an "issue" for just one day. I do remember the Herald Sun making a big deal about it. But it lasted just as long as an ice cube in the Sahara desert.

Well Jaslyn was asked one question about Lleyton and suddenly it is all through the papers;) So if they somehow get any quote out of Kim or Lleyton that could even be remotely linked to each other by a journalist then expect it on page 1 unfortunately.

fifiricci
Dec 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM
:lol: Let's see how much attention it gets at the Aussie Open if Lleyton and Kim are both there. Sorry, but you must be completely naive if you think that the tabloids (and even the broadsheets) aren't going to be interested in this?

DutchieGirl
Dec 7th, 2004, 10:15 AM
No I didn't fail to see that because I don't think the entire crowd will boo Kim sure a few will, but say the whole crowd did boo Kim and cheer over the top for Olivia, Kim has far more experience and so if anything while being unsettling at first would pump her up while intimidate Olivia. There are a lot of things you fail to see.

I wouldn't boo Kim. In fact, I'm an Aussie, and even if she was playing Olivia, I'd be there cheering for Kim! I've been a Kim fan for too long! :lol: