PDA

View Full Version : Na Li to play Full Australian Circuit

pierce0415
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
OMG I am so excited :drool: ... Na Li finally committed to playing a full WTA schedule in 2005.

She is entered in

Tier III Gold Coast (Qualifying)
Tier V Canberra
Grand Slam Melbourne

I am predicting QF or better at Gold Coast, F or better at Canberra and hopefully R3 at Australian Open (with a good draw, even better )

novotnaquinton
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
is this info confirmed?

AnDyDog621
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Thats cool if she does play

Martian KC
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Good luck Na Li!:cool:

shap_half
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
The problem is she has great chances to get far (and even win those lower Tier events), but how will that affect her GS showing?

I don't want to put her down, but she's such an excellent player that I can see her make Top 20/15 by the end of 2005, but she can burn herself out if she continue to play too many consecutive weeks.

pierce0415
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM
The problem is she has great chances to get far (and even win those lower Tier events), but how will that affect her GS showing?

I don't want to put her down, but she's such an excellent player that I can see her make Top 20/15 by the end of 2005, but she can burn herself out if she continue to play too many consecutive weeks.Yes I am worried about this too :mad:

But last September Na played $25K Beijing (got to final), Beijing Qualies, Beijing, Guangzhou Qualies and Guangzhou in a span of 3 weeks (18 Matches!)

So she is fit enough !

shap_half
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah that is true, but the pressure of playing main draws and then a GS is hardly comparable to Challengers.
And then add on the pressure of expectations...

pierce0415
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:37 PM
Yeah that is true, but the pressure of playing main draws and then a GS is hardly comparable to Challengers.
For sure that is a good point. But we have never seen Na Li compete in 3 WTA main draws (including her first Grand Slam) before ... maybe she can handle it by pretending that it is a Chinese challenger :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
I don't think there are any expectations of her...yet. Apart from Chinese tennis fans and people on this board, nobody knows who she is. Unless she draws a big name in the first round, her opening round in Melbourne will be on an outside court in front of a modest crowd.

brunof
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Just a note on Na Li... (I didn't want a whole thread made pointing this out)

I found it funny that the WTA website failed to place Na Li on the list of "Ranking Movers - Best of 2004." Of course Nicole Vaidisova tops the list, as she was unranked in March of 04. I find it disapointing that they don't point out Li's accomplishment of rising to 80, as she was unranked until August of 2004. After all, Nicole is only ranked 3 spots higher, but then again she did play many more WTA events, and she is a poster-child to what the WTA wants. :rolleyes: :angel:

Good to see her commiting to the Aussie Hardcourt season, best of luck to her!

novotnaquinton
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
I feel sad that WTA forget to put Li Na on the Ranking Mover's List

Mattographer
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:21 AM
I don't think she will made a huge successful in 2005 but wait and see...

loveactually
Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM

it suprised me as well... She is qualified to be named in.

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM
Great news, good luck to her!!!

pierce0415
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
:o :mad: :rolleyes: at the WTA ... Na will prove them wrong next year by outperforming Vaidisova

Chunchun
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
na :cool: :banana:

Good Luck to u and all other Chinese girls in 05 :yeah: :woohoo:

Dave B
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM

I don't want to put her down, but she's such an excellent player that I can see her make Top 20/15 by the end of 2005, but she can burn herself out if she continue to play too many consecutive weeks.

I doubt she will have a problem. Many players her age can handle three weeks in a row, and I think she has shown she can do it physically. I don't know about mentally, but at least it helps that each event will have progressively less matches per day. (e.g. 1 week Qualies plus MD, second just MD, third just MD but with a match every other day). I think she will do just fine, especially since they are all close together.

Gowza
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:25 PM
this will be really great for her and chinese/asian tennis.

Vut
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Go! Na !!

ashwu
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:06 AM
good luck li na!

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Na :D :) Have a good 2005 :woohoo:

Experimentee
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I will be seeing her play at the AO :woohoo:
Good luck Na Li! Put a good showing in Australia!

pierce0415
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I will be seeing her play at the AO :woohoo:
Good luck Na Li! Put a good showing in Australia!
I am so jealous
I will have to wait until USO to see her live

hopefully at least one of her matches in Australia will be televised on ESPN ... knowing ESPN, this will only be possible if she draws, Venus, Serena, Jenn or Masha :lol: :lol: :lol:

blumaroo
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:50 PM
an asian player causing upsets all over the place. Can anyone describe her style? Big serve, stolid groundies etc?

Babolatpro880
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM
From what I've heard, she has an absolutely terrific backhand and a decent forehand. I'm not sure though. I've never seen her.

Ravsieg
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:54 PM
She didn't play during 2 years, what happened?

She can go really high if she keeps a decent schedule.