PDA

View Full Version : Best win of the year...

twight6
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:07 PM
vote on the final five (from wtatour.com) Remember, this is the best WIN of the year. So, although you may not think the masha/serena match was a good one, it was a huge win for maria so it was a "good win"

ALSO, you can vote on www.wtatour.com homepage! Lindsay's win is currently tied with masha's win at 29% :eek:

twight6
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
bump

twight6
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
please bump

Experimentee
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
If we are talking about significance of the win for the player who won, none of those are really good wins apart from Maria defeating Serena. All of those others were the favourites to win apart from maybe Myskina beating Kuznetsova.

Grohl
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:22 PM
don't tink any of those are really great...

Spunky83
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
There must be a Nastya-fan working for the WTA;)

shap_half
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Henin d. Myskina
It wasn't a great match, but the drama was high and it is the Olympic Games.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Olympics...for Justine....considering how weak she was, that was a great comeback.

Spunky83
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:34 PM
Olympics...for Justine....considering how weak she was, that was a great comeback.

:worship: ...heart-breaking in a negative and positive way :sad: :yeah:

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
If you're talking BEST win of the year, it has to be the most startling and convincing win.

And that has to be the Wimbledon Final.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Mariaīs win was surprising more than really great...

Lemonskin.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Well, a 6-1 6-4 win will never get the people's vote for most entertaining win of the year. But it was far and away the most significant win of those 5 matches.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM
That probably it was, ls....although....not that many players win olympic gold, sooo....

shap_half
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
How is it most significant?
I don't get it.
Lindsay beats Venus for the first time in 6 tries and starts off her assault on women's tennis.
Myskina defends a MP to win her first GS.
Myskina wins the longest tie-break in WTA history.
Henin comes back to win 7 of the last 8 games in a match that comes only once every four years.
But Sharapova winning a Wimbledon title is the most significant win? :rolleyes:

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
:lol: Tjaa....Shap, what can one say? :lol:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Foe ME it was Lindsay's win over Venus. Her first over a Williams in some years :D

The match was really close and I think gave her the confidence to kick ass for the rest of the season :)

Wojtek
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Mauresmo def. Capriati in Rome

Knizzle
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
LD over Venus, it gave her the confidence to start dominating the summer hardcourt season and eventually get back to #1.

schris
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
Olympics Semifinal: Henin-Hardenne d. Myskina 75, 57, 86

faboozadoo15
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:30 PM
lindsay over venus.

i don't know what most significant would mean. maria winning her first grand slam is more significant than lindsay beating venus at stanford. but if we take into account how close the match was and how much it could have gone either way, then that changes it because this win really gave lindsay a lot of confidence.

SzavayFi
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:32 PM
what does bump mean?

Bezz
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:37 PM
what does bump mean?
Ppl put bump when they want a thread to be on the first page or want ppl to reply. :)

I actually thought serena's win in miami after such a long break form the game would be one of the options, not a big williams fan, but it was impressive.

SzavayFi
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Ppl put bump when they want a thread to be on the first page or want ppl to reply. :)

I actually thought serena's win in miami after such a long break form the game would be one of the options, not a big williams fan, but it was impressive.
oh ok thanks! :D

Andy.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Masha winning Wimbledon was the most awesome moment of the year.

Volcana
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:27 AM
What about the OZ final?

JH2 def Kim 6-3 4-6 6-3

Lemonskin.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:18 AM
WTAtour.com has Lindsay and Maria's wins locked at 29% each, with a LOT more votes than here.

vettipooh
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:47 AM
WTAtour.com has Lindsay and Maria's wins locked at 29% each, with a LOT more votes than here.Of course those are the top two leading wins....that's expected....they defeated a Williams in each!!:p :lol:

denzuko
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:33 AM
Of course those are the top two leading wins....that's expected....they defeated a Williams in each!!:p :lol:

Good one, always think positive...:worship:

Maria was the underdog (seeded 13th underdog?) who beat a favourite, top seeded, and defending champion.
All tennis experts predicted Serena wins, except Tracy Austin.
And then Maria won 6-1 6-4.
It was the best win, and the most dramatic.

tennischick
Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:47 AM
There must be a Nastya-fan working for the WTA;)or a Williams Fan working for the Williams Tennis Association. go figure :o

twight6
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
bump

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
Why can't we have 10 matches to choose from :sobbing:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
don't tink any of those are really great...
I second that! :scratch:

rightous
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
I said Davenport, b/c I think after that win it give her the confidence back that perhaps she can win another slam

twight6
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
PEOPLE! if you don't like these matches, check my thread i just put out for nominations. All you have to do is get 3 people to nominate the same match and on monday, i take all of the matches and make a poll (or 2, or 3, etc) Check it out ;)

shap_half
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
The Wimbledon final is going to win this not because it was the best match of '04, but because of rabid Masha fans who can never think outside of themselves. :shrug:

Knizzle
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
The Wimbledon final is going to win this not because it was the best match of '04, but because of rabid Masha fans who can never think outside of themselves. :shrug:
Also alot of people aren't looking at the single match win, they are voting that way because it was a GS final. LD's win over Venus really revamped LD's career and has her believing she can win slams again. If LD loses that match she could very well be in retirement right now.

shap_half
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
I agree with that as well Knizzle. I really don't understand the significance of that win. Is it because it's a GS win? If not then why aren't JHH, Myskina, and Kuznetsova also nominated.

I see why the other 4 are nominated but there's really nothing special with Maria winning the Wimbledon title when you look at other matches and compare them.

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Beat a Williams and that is match of the year....how come they didnīt put the Jidkova win over Serena?....:rollseyes:

BeautifulGirl
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
vote on the final five (from wtatour.com) Remember, this is the best WIN of the year. So, although you may not think the masha/serena match was a good one, it was a huge win for maria so it was a "good win"

ALSO, you can vote on www.wtatour.com homepage! Lindsay's win is currently tied with masha's win at 29% :eek:

Masha is leading again!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Who is voting for Henin-Myskina? :rolleyes:

Foot's Fingers
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
I agree with that as well Knizzle. I really don't understand the significance of that win. Is it because it's a GS win? If not then why aren't JHH, Myskina, and Kuznetsova also nominated.

I see why the other 4 are nominated but there's really nothing special with Maria winning the Wimbledon title when you look at other matches and compare them.

I agree with you.
Of cos i'm proud os Masha's win But... It's not the win of the year. It was not so match as others included in list.

BeautifulGirl
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
I agree with you.
Of cos i'm proud os Masha's win But... It's not the win of the year. It was not so match as others included in list.

third youngest to win Wimbledon is not highly significant against worthy adversary? :rolleyes: a 17 year old winning a Grand Slam is not something to be proud of? :rolleyes:

that was one of the best matches ever. :worship:

t_fan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
WTAtour.com has Lindsay and Maria's wins locked at 29% each, with a LOT more votes than here.
That poll has a flaw. You can manipulate the outcome :devil:

goldenlox
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Anastasia is in 3 of these 5.
If Sveta won the RG match, that might have meant Venus wins the FO.
So I think that might be the most important, close match of the year.