PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova:"I'd love to kick some male player's a#@!!"

harloo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
GQ Magazine
December 2004
Jason Gay

Women Of The Year Section

The first time we heard about Maria Sharapova, 17 and straight outta Siberia, we thought: Nyet again. We'd been suckered by this package before: Russian, tennis, teenage, blond, beautiful. Then we saw Maria play. Nuclear serve, ballistic ground strokes, razor finesse, jugular instinct-more Navratilova than Kournikova. She rolled into Wimbledon, waxed the previously unwaxable Serena Williams, and the aftershock was bigger than Sputnik.

Madison Avenue swooned. Leno Leno'd her. Today Today'd her. She freaked when Stella McCartney sent her a note and free sunglasses(free sunglasses!). "Overnight I became this huge deal," Sharapova recalls. But she earned it.

We've all gotten a little twisted lately about female athletes, rewarding ones who look like catwalk models before they accomplish anything. This year Sharapova set our priorities straight. Her talent was so precocious and ferocious it almost obfuscated her beauty.:confused:

We said almost. "If the guys think I'm cute, there's nothing wrong with that," Sharapova says. But the truth is, Maria Sharapova is determined to be the best woman tennis player in the world, and free sunglasses or not, she would rather impress guys at the workplace.

Asked if she'd want to play some male players on the tour, Sharapova shoots back: "Oh yeah! I'd love to kick their ass. They always think they're so over-the-top. I'd love to put them back on earth." Consider us grounded.

Just a question:

If she can barely beat an injured Serena then what makes her think she can beat a male pro? Even Serena cannot beat a male pro.:rolleyes: :lol:

vettipooh
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
Sounds like she's the one who thinks that she's "so over- the -top!" UUmm, Ova the top??? :lol:

Doc
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:38 AM
Maria's played and won in Mixed. Hopefully she'll play some more.

And Patty Schnyder's beaten low-ranked male players in exhibitions. Mybe Maria will too.

Junex
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
GQ Magazine
December 2004
Jason Gay

The first time we heard about Maria Sharapova, 17 and straight outta Siberia, we thought: Nyet again. We'd been suckered by this package before: Russian, tennis, teenage, blond, beautiful. Then we saw Maria play. Nuclear serve, ballistic ground strokes, razor finesse, jugular instinct-more Navratilova than Kournikova. She rolled into Wimbledon, waxed the previously unwaxable Serena Williams, and the aftershock was bigger than Sputnik.

Madison Avenue swooned. Leno Leno'd her. Today Today'd her. She freaked when Stella McCartney sent her a note and free sunglasses(free sunglasses!). "Overnight I became this huge deal," Sharapova recalls. But she earned it.

We've all gotten a little twisted lately about female athletes, rewarding ones who look like catwalk models before they accomplish anything. This year Sharapova set our priorities straight. Her talent was so precocious and ferocious it almost obfuscated her beauty.:confused:

We said almost. "If the guys think I'm cute, there's nothing wrong with that," Sharapova says. But the truth is, Maria Sharapova is determined to be the best woman tennis player in the world, and free sunglasses or not, she would rather impress guys at the workplace.

Asked if she'd want to play some male players on the tour, Sharapova shoots back: "Oh yeah! I'd love to kick their ass. They always think they're so over-the-top. I'd love to put them back on earth." Consider us grounded.

Just a question:

If she can barely beat an injured Serena then what makes her think she can beat a male pro? Even Serena cannot beat a male pro.:rolleyes: :lol:

and the point of this thread is:

Again....demean Maria.

sad but true...Maria is really bigger than Serena now!
she even deserve a thread started by a serena fan! :lol:

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
Um...didn't Serena say something similar once?

harloo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM
and the point of this thread is:

Again....demean Maria.

sad but true...Maria is really bigger than Serena now!
she even deserve a thread started by a serena fan! :lol:
I saw this in esquire and decided to post her comments concerning her desire to kick a pro male player's ass. Considering that their is so much hooplah when ANY female player speaks about competing with a man, I thought this was info folks needed to know.

Are you afraid that Maria is not portrayed as the little poor girl from Russia with big city dreams? :lol: ;)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM
There's nothing wrong with wanting to do it. Realistically she won't ever be able to do it, but that isn't the point.

harloo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
When in doubt bring Serena into the controversy.

Let me clarify:

Serena joked with a tournament official to give her a wild card into a men's tournament, and it was big news.

If Serena would of said I would like to bring pro male tennis players down to earth and kick their ass she probably would of been kicked off the WTA.:lol:

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:55 AM
When in doubt bring Serena into the controversy.

Let me clarify:

Serena joked with a tournament official to give her a wild card into a men's tournament, and it was big news.

If Serena would of said I would like to bring pro male tennis players down to earth and kick their ass she probably would of been kicked off the WTA.:lol:

You mentioned Serena first, stupid. Where is the doubt? Maria can say what she likes.

harloo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
Maria can say what she likes.
DOUBLE STANDARD!! It's ok Willow, I expect nothing less from you.:lol:

AjdeNate!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:58 AM
Ajmo Mashahara! :p

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
DOUBLE STANDARD!! It's ok Willow, I expect nothing less from you.:lol:

When have I ever suggested otherwise? Have you ever actually read any of my posts? :rolleyes:

Doc
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:05 AM
Masha has fire! That's what's so great about her.

She's played a lot of guys at Bollettieri's already, so she knows a lot of what to expect. But she probably will play an exhibition against a lower-ranked guy at some time in the future.

10nisfanofruz
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:06 AM
It showed that Maria is feminist. ;) :bounce:

croat123
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Maria's played and won in Mixed. Hopefully she'll play some more.

And Patty Schnyder's beaten low-ranked male players in exhibitions. Mybe Maria will too.
yeah, except he had a handicap of somesort, was ranked in the 1000s and only then could schnyder beat him in two tight sets...

backhanddtl4
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Lol, I don't think she's a femenist. She's more like ignorant. I don't think she'd bring any men down.

faboozadoo15
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:48 AM

how do you know maria wasn't joking as well? this is, afterall, for GQ... aka, to be taken lightly.
but what's wrong with saying she'd like to kick their ass, anyway?

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
Nice, nice...and what male-player would that be? Certainly not a Roger Federer, I hope....:scared:

VS Fan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:02 AM
One thing should be stated here:

Maria is a RISING star.

Serena is an ESTABLISHED star.

Maria COULD eclipse Serena in the coming years..(don't bet on it) but it is possible.

One Major, and One YEC plus a few Tier III tourneys do not surpass Serena's 20+ tourney wins including many tier I events AND SIX slam titles.

Maria fans are a little too excited too early, but she COULD do it, we have to wait and see.

Everybody calm down!

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
Exactly.....vs-fan. There ISN`T a thing that Maria has done, that Serena hasnīt done better....

Dan23
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Clearly Maria is just mucking around with that comment ;)
If youve ever heard many of her interviews you'd know her style, especially with the "Oh yeah!"
Like many of the women, Maria could beat quite a few mens players, but I dont think she'd expect to take the whole ATP apart..:D

faboozadoo15
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
Exactly.....vs-fan. There ISN`T a thing that Maria has done, that Serena hasnīt done better....
i don't think anyone in here thinks sharapova could beat a good male player...
and maria has been on tour for SUCH a short time.

SzavayFi
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:30 AM
she is sooo full of it.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:33 AM
It showed that Maria is feminist. ;) :bounce:

Well, no, it doesn't necessarily. Being a feminist necessarily mean having a great desire to be better at things than men, despite what popular culture might lead you to believe.

Although judging by the fact that she makes millions of dollars and probably gets to keep some of that for herself... she has a lot to thank feminists for :p

switz
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
yeah, except he had a handicap of somesort, was ranked in the 1000s and only then could schnyder beat him in two tight sets...

he wasn't hanicapped - he just wasn't very good.

SzavayFi
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:39 AM
yea will id say thats a great accomplishment if it is true, I know a guy ranked way out of the top 1000 and he picked Steffi Graf apart 6-1 6-0 till she was in tears.

JLDementieva
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:35 AM
There is nothing wrong with wanting to kick some male player's ass!!!

Lemonskin.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:15 AM
Christ, some people are taking this waaay too seriously.

It was probably just a joke taken out of context.

Most women aren't going to beat the top male players.

The haters can hate all they want, but the lovers will still love ^_^

Vincent
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:18 AM
:) Maybe she can do it someday? Who knows, I remember that Oxford has published a report stating that women can run faster than men in 2047 ( not sure? ). :)

Andy.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Well said Lemonskin

Junex
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:25 AM
I saw this in esquire and decided to post her comments concerning her desire to kick a pro male player's ass. Considering that their is so much hooplah when ANY female player speaks about competing with a man, I thought this was info folks needed to know.

Are you afraid that Maria is not portrayed as the little poor girl from Russia with big city dreams? :lol: ;)

Its one thing you post something out of an article for information purpose.

I just know your purpose is too malicious, in fact you have commented at the bottom of your post about the YEC Serena match!
When will you get over it?

Besides, it is no secret you are an anti-masha.
A Jealous Envious one! :p :devil:

Junex
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:30 AM
One thing should be stated here:

Maria is a RISING star.

Serena is an ESTABLISHED star.

Maria COULD eclipse Serena in the coming years..(don't bet on it) but it is possible.

One Major, and One YEC plus a few Tier III tourneys do not surpass Serena's 20+ tourney wins including many tier I events AND SIX slam titles.

Maria fans are a little too excited too early, but she COULD do it, we have to wait and see.

Everybody calm down!

Excus me but who is being excited?

I just know right now from you that Harloo si a masha fan! :rolleyes:

Couver
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM
Well she really is entitled to say what she wants, and since it is in print we can't be sure how the question was posed.

But I can hardly imagine what would have happend if Serena said this. I'm sure older members who aren't biased can all remember the Serena VS a male player debate from late 2002-2003?

So I mean we can debate this now can't we? Or is Maria the only one given a free pass to "say what she wants"

clonesheep
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM
Any man within the top 100 of ATP can easily beat Serena or Sharapova. Yanick Noah has been retired for 15 years and still beat Justine at last year's exhibition (when Justine was healthy).

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:59 AM
i can say with lots of confidence it was said in jest....its gq magazine not some tennis magazine...the bigger joke is on the non tennis fans readers who read the article and believe sharapova :lol:

Prizeidiot
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM
Hehehe, she said she'd LOVE to kick men's asses. There's nothing bad about that. It doesn't mean she will, and I doubt she is so stupid that she would ever believe she could. Any man playing challengers or any tournaments on the pro tour would take her apart no problems.

Lemonskin.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:51 AM
Any decent male player would beat pretty much ANY female player. Not just Sharapova. Doesn't matter how crafty or talented a JHH or an Amelie is, they'd still get beaten by the sheer power and pace of the men's game.

Mr_Molik
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
lmao no offence but u dont stand a chance against anyone in the top 1000 :tape:

Sharapower
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
I guess she's just being a little bit provocative in a young machos' magazine. Maria is quite a master in the art of seducing. With that kind of quote she makes herself even more desirable for the horny young guys who read that kind of magazine. When she says "the male players", she means the males in general "think they're so over-the-top" and should be put back to earth. And yes that sounds a little bit "feminist" (and then arrogant, have you ever met a feminist who's not arrogant, lol).

It's quite "amazing" (the favorite word of Maria) how she builds an image of femme fatale, mysterious, arrogant and desirable. Desirable because mysterious and arrogant. She doesn't say much but the little she says keeps the attraction going. It's a tease game.

Rocketta
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:43 AM
Well she really is entitled to say what she wants, and since it is in print we can't be sure how the question was posed.

But I can hardly imagine what would have happend if Serena said this. I'm sure older members who aren't biased can all remember the Serena VS a male player debate from late 2002-2003?

So I mean we can debate this now can't we? Or is Maria the only one given a free pass to "say what she wants"
you know why Serena was deemed "arrogant" and hounded by John McEnroe for joking around and now when someone else says it it's cute....:lol:

Oh well! :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
:) Maybe she can do it someday? Who knows, I remember that Oxford has published a report stating that women can run faster than men in 2047 ( not sure? ). :)

If I'm not mistaken, that study was based on little more than extrapolation and didn't take into account enough variables to be considered valid. Then again, it apparently got published and i didn't read the study in it's raw form, so what do I know?

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM

It got quite ugly, if I remember correctly :sad:

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
I guess she's just being a little bit provocative in a young machos' magazine. Maria is quite a master in the art of seducing. With that kind of quote she makes herself even more desirable for the horny young guys who read that kind of magazine. When she says "the male players", she means the males in general "think they're so over-the-top" and should be put back to earth. And yes that sounds a little bit "feminist" (and then arrogant, have you ever met a feminist who's not arrogant, lol).

Again, desiring to be better than men is not inherently feminist. Nor is being arrogant. These are both stereotypes, which are roughly as accurate as that of the "ugly feminist". Unless demanding nothing short of equality is the new arrogance, of course.

It's quite "amazing" (the favorite word of Maria) how she builds an image of femme fatale, mysterious, arrogant and desirable. Desirable because mysterious and arrogant. She doesn't say much but the little she says keeps the attraction going. It's a tease game.

Frankly, I think that you're giving her way too much credit. She's been throroughly prepped by her agents, for years. Everytime I hear her speak I'm left wondering how much of that was her, and how much of it was programmed. And I'm not criticizing here. Clearly the "programming" has been successful or she wouldn't be netting millions of dollars in endorsements and have people like you pouring praise on her acting according to plan :p

dreamgoddess099
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Frankly, I think that you're giving her way too much credit. She's been throroughly prepped by her agents, for years. Everytime I hear her speak I'm left wondering how much of that was her, and how much of it was programmed. And I'm not criticizing here. Clearly the "programming" has been successful or she wouldn't be netting millions of dollars in endorsements and have people like you pouring praise on her acting according to plan :pSo funny and so true. :lol: Anyway, I doubt this statement will make any news. Whether she was joking or not, she could put the idea of the possibility of her playing a male player into the minds of some. The WTA is going to try their best to bury this statement because the last thing the women's game needs is for a top female player to lose a match against any male player. The women's game would lose so much respect for it's level of skill because it would be used as proof a top female player can't beat any male player. Right now that is only speculation.

Sharapower
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Frankly, I think that you're giving her way too much credit. She's been throroughly prepped by her agents, for years. Everytime I hear her speak I'm left wondering how much of that was her, and how much of it was programmed. And I'm not criticizing here. Clearly the "programming" has been successful or she wouldn't be netting millions of dollars in endorsements and have people like you pouring praise on her acting according to plan :p
Yeah, you're right :lol: . However I'm a consentant victim :lol: .

Though, she wouldn't play that role if she thinks it doesn't correspond to her real personality.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Yeah, you're right :lol: . However I'm a consentant victim :lol: .

Though, she wouldn't play that role if she thinks it doesn't correspond to her real personality.
I disagree. If somebody told me I was going to make enough money to give my grandchildren a good life if I would just act a little out of character once in a while, I'd totally do it. Why should I believe that Maria is any different?

btw, I'm not saying that how she acts doesn't correspond to her real personality - I don't know if it does or it doesn't.

BeautifulGirl
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
There is nothing wrong with wanting to kick some male player's ass!!!

And some people are still wondering why Masha is the newly crowned Queen of Tennis. :bounce:

Long Live the Queen :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

!<blocparty>!
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
:lol: @ this thread.

Go masha :D

Sharapower
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
I disagree. If somebody told me I was going to make enough money to give my grandchildren a good life if I would just act a little out of character once in a while, I'd totally do it. Why should I believe that Maria is any different?

btw, I'm not saying that how she acts doesn't correspond to her real personality - I don't know if it does or it doesn't.
As you said acting out of character "once in a while" is something a lot of people can do, but doing it permanently requires a lot of actor skills, and if Maria Sharapova is that good actor then she IS the person she pretends to be (i.e. seductive and mysterious like I stated before) :lol: .
OMG I don't even myself understand my own logical argumentation :haha: .

There's a sentence that I like very much, in french it's "Deviens ce que tu es" (Become who you are). I think all the media training and advice from her agents are just tools to make Maria Sharapova become herself; I don't believe they are a substitute to her real personality. But sure, I don't know her personally, it's just an opinion.

Junex
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
you know why Serena was deemed "arrogant" and hounded by John McEnroe for joking around and now when someone else says it it's cute....:lol:

Oh well! :rolleyes:

Nobody said it was cute!

Actually nobody even made it a big deal until some williams fan named Harloo posted this article, to think it even is from GQ, a zine for what....... :rolleyes:

What i dont understand is if all of you think that Serena and her fans had suffered a great deal of pain for just being, saying things like this, why wish it for Maria?

Oh well its off-season, a lot of people has nothing left to do except HATING.
Well keep on hating y'all, besides its gonna be X-mas soon!

Happy Holidays!!!!!

Experimentee
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
When Serena joked about this people said she was sooo arrogant, now when Maria jokes about it its ok. Love the double standard.

salima
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
When Serena joked about this people said she was sooo arrogant, now when Maria jokes about it its ok. Love the double standard.
...............or the world is getting better :kiss:

Jaime Bahena
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
GQ Magazine
December 2004
Jason Gay

Just a question:

Just another question: Was Serena injured at Wimbledon/2004? Maria gave her a pretty good booty slappin back then, so I'm sure Sharapova can do better than you think.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM
Nobody said it was cute!

Actually nobody even made it a big deal until some williams fan named Harloo posted this article, to think it even is from GQ, a zine for what....... :rolleyes:

What i dont understand is if all of you think that Serena and her fans had suffered a great deal of pain for just being, saying things like this, why wish it for Maria?

Oh well its off-season, a lot of people has nothing left to do except HATING.
Well keep on hating y'all, besides its gonna be X-mas soon!

Happy Holidays!!!!!

It ainīt about wishing.....itīs about: Why was Serena burned, but is Maria seen as cute for exact the same quote? THAT is the question.....

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Just another question: Was Serena injured at Wimbledon/2004? Maria gave her a pretty good booty slappin back then, so I'm sure Sharapova can do better than you think.

When you see that Serena suddenly started losing to Jen, Lindsay...players she hasnīt lost to in three and four years respectively, then maybe her losing to Maria says more about Serena than it says about Maria...

WorldWar24
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
ERM... CHILDREN, SHE'S KIDDING! :retard:

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:10 PM

Are you sure it's the same people? Or are you easily confused like harloo? :)

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Nice try, willow....

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Nice try, willow....

What am I trying? :)

I am merely 'trying' to defend myself against harloos insulting and defamatory accusations. She has accused me on two separate occasions of being a hypocrite as regards my attitude to Serena, despite the fact that I have never suggested she can't say what she likes or called her an arogant bitch when she does.

I believe if harloo investigates honestly the reasoning that led to her confusion, she may discover something interesting about herself.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
It ainīt about wishing.....itīs about: Why was Serena burned, but is Maria seen as cute for exact the same quote? THAT is the question.....

In the opinion of the "Masha loving" media, Maria is cuter than Serena. Haven't you been reading the papers and magazines lately? Maria's everywhere, and guess who's putting her there?

the cat
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Extrapolation Becca? Stop showing off. ;)

And I think Maria was just kidding around in saying that she would like to kick some men's asses. :p

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
In the opinion of the "Masha loving" media, Maria is cuter than Serena. Haven't you been reading the papers and magazines lately? Maria's everywhere, and guess who's putting her there?

Aha....so because Mashaīs "supposedly" cuter than Serena, she can say everything without getting roasted for it.....well, well...

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
What am I trying? :)

To dispute that there arenīt any double standards..keep telling that to yourself, maybe youīll believe it yourself one day.

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
To dispute that there arenīt any double standards..keep telling that to yourself, maybe youīll believe it yourself one day.

I edited my post above, but the issue is whether I am indulging in double standards. Thank you.

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:30 PM
The double standards as I see them are coming from the people who defended Serena four years ago but now want to call Maria arrogant for saying the same thing, and want to randomly call other people hypocrites because they are racists who put all white people in the same mental box.

If you want double standards, you know where to look. :)

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
I edited my post above, but the issue is whether I am indulging in double standards. Thank you.

O.k....

GoDominique
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM
Well, Venus and Serena thought they might beat a male player ranked 200, until they played one and lost badly.

I would love to see a Maria Sharapova vs. Karsten Braasch match. :)

pigam
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM
I would love to see a Maria Sharapova vs. Karsten Braasch match. :)
would be soo boring :yawn:

a few weeks ago some people said Sjarapova would probably NOT beat Federer, but she WOULD beat someone like Olivier Rochus :o :bolt:

Do these people actually watch tennis, or do they watch outfits, legs etc. ... :confused:

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
The double standards as I see them are coming from the people who defended Serena four years ago but now want to call Maria arrogant for saying the same thing, and want to randomly call other people hypocrites because they are racists who put all white people in the same mental box.

If you want double standards, you know where to look. :)

Maybe....but if you think so about the ones who defended Serena back then and critisize Maria now, then youīve to do the same with the ones who defend Maria now and critisized Serena back then, no?

Or you wanna say nobody critisized Serena back then?

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM

a few weeks ago some people said Sjarapova would probably NOT beat Federer, but she WOULD beat someone like Olivier Rochus :o :bolt:

Do these people actually watch tennis, or do they watch outfits, legs etc. ... :confused:

:lol: If Oli can beat players like Marat and Carlos Moya, then when can I only fear in horror what heīs gonna do with Maria.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Masha could beat some men, that's a fact. Outside the Top 1000 I'd put her as favourite. She's beaten teenagers in training in Florida.

She probably couldn't beat any men around the Top 100 - unless they were having a really bad day.

However what she said is she would like to beat them.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
Well we all would LIKE to do something....but as they say: "dreams are lies"...

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
Well we all would LIKE to do something....but as they say: "dreams are lies"...Who says that? :confused:

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Who says that? :confused:

:lol: I knew you wouldnīt get it....itīs a dutch song " Dromen zijn bedrog" and that means "dreams are lies or arenīt true".....

exoneuk
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM
*yawns*

jacobruiz
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Why do some people who complain about Serena being dragged into topics which don't concern her insist on constantly comparing her to Masha?:confused:

Masha is usually joking in her interviews. People complain that she has a "boring" personality but at least she likes to have fun. Maria says she would LIKE to kick some male player's ass and I would LOVE to see her do it - but I don't think she will.

alexusjonesfan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
:haha:

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
dr.martian wanna act funny......sistah? What do you know about sistahīs and brothaīs?

Rocketta
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM
PREACH SISTAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I got his/her approval! :yeah:

Just what I've been waiting for my whole life! :retard:

You've shown me the light! Now that I have your approval I will no longer point out inconsistencies that bug me....You have givin me everything I could ever hope for oh Corny one. Thanks! :D

Oh wait, I just remembered I don't care about your approval or disapproval....nevermind I'll go on being me and you continue to post the internet equivalent of black face. :wavey:

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

:) i think you answered your own question there....there should be a law against this kind of stupidity...she probabl wouldn't beat federer like i probably won;t win the lottery three times in a row this month...if sharapova was given a 6-0 5-0, 40-0 triple match point lead on her serve, she still would lose 6-0 7-5 7-5, hit a grand total of zero (as in none) winners and maybe (big maybe) win three points the whole match (and even three is being kind)

forget about rochus too..in fact forget about any player with even .25 rankings points, lots of teaching pros,many college players, loads of junior players, retired players...

i knoiw sharapova knows she cant beat these men, but the sad part is lots of people reading the magazine will agree with her...her and williams both don't deserve blame cause it was said in jest both times, i truly believe that, but you need to make it publiclly clear to the casual tennis fan that only watches tennis during the majors if at all, like mcenroe did, that this talk is nonsense

cheo23
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Any decent male player would beat pretty much ANY female player. Not just Sharapova. Doesn't matter how crafty or talented a JHH or an Amelie is, they'd still get beaten by the sheer power and pace of the men's game.
EXactly!
the MEN will Overpower them Any time & ANy Place!
SERENA Lost to that player rank 200 or whatever Karsten B. playin just ONE SET(6-2)
THERes NOthin Wrong what She's Sayin
She's Entitled to HER OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :lol:

Kart
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
I think I'd probably love to watch some male player kick her a#@.

Kart
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Not in a sexual way that is.

wayitis
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
what happens is that some posters tend to take exhibition matches results too literally... they are nothing else but entertainment and business, and business-wise is never good to have an easy blow-out...people won't come back and pay to see that again! that's why we should never take those results at face value, scores are usually very close no matter how playfully bad one is playing... heck, Lleyton Hewitt was able to beat an one-armed Kim Clijsters in the "match of love" only by a very tight score! does that mean he would lose to a healthy, higher ranked female player :rolleyes: ? same concept regarding Patty Schnnyder's yearly challenges... if she starts losing badly , nobody will be interested in paying to see that next year, and the tournament and sponsors start losing money.. so, keep things close and you make sure the interest remains... ;)

Jaime Bahena
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:24 PM

Now that you've determined what the question is, WHAT is the answer?

WTAaddict
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Maria is rising to the top!!!!!! Serena's way is to go down from the top !!!!

cheo23
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Maria is rising to the top!!!!!! Serena's way is to go down from the top !!!!
Its Premature to say "SERENA's Way is to go down from the Top"
She WANTs TO BE the BEST at WHATEVer she Does
I'm sure she's workin ON her GAme in this OFFSEASON
Good LUck SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

alfonsojose
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
It would be nice to see her playing against little Oliver Rochus :hug: :drool: No doubt he would kick her ass badly :p

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
what happens is that some posters tend to take exhibition matches results too literally... they are nothing else but entertainment and business, and business-wise is never good to have an easy blow-out...people won't come back and pay to see that again! that's why we should never take those results at face value, scores are usually very close no matter how playfully bad one is playing... heck, Lleyton Hewitt was able to beat an one-armed Kim Clijsters in the "match of love" only by a very tight score! does that mean he would lose to a healthy, higher ranked female player :rolleyes: ? same concept regarding Patty Schnnyder's yearly challenges... if she starts losing badly , nobody will be interested in paying to see that next year, and the tournament and sponsors start losing money.. so, keep things close and you make sure the interest remains... ;)
And why would a regionally ranking male tennis player CHOOSE to lose to Patty? It would do his rep a lot of harm.

It wouldn't happen. The main reason there are so few M/F matches is that losing to a woman player would be too humiliating for the male. If a man is playing a woman player in front of an audience he does not want to lose.

I'm not saying the Top Male players are in any danger. Their serves and follow-ups are too strong and consistent. But low ranked players are at risk, and are definitely not going to give such a match away as you suggest.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM
It would be nice to see her playing against little Oliver Rochus :hug: :drool: No doubt he would kick her ass badly :p
I'm sure Maria would agree a match if he would. She probably would lose badly. But I bet it would be Rochus who would refuse to risk it.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:18 PM

Um..yes, I believe you are correct. What's your point?

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Now that you've determined what the question is, WHAT is the answer?

You tell me....I already know it...if you donīt see it, then tjaa....

Jaime Bahena
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM

No double standard. We learned our lesson the first time. Now we know that it's wrong to claim that a player is being arrogant whenever she says something like that.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
I'm sure Maria would agree a match if he would. She probably would lose badly. But I bet it would be Rochus who would refuse to risk it.

And you think Oli would be at a risk? :haha: :rolls: As if thereīs even one promille posibility that Maria can beat him.

If you can withstand the power of the Maratīs and Moyaīs of this world, Maria power is nothing....and I think it should be clear: If Maria canīt overpower you, she canīt beat you.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
No double standard. We learned our lesson the first time. Now we know that it's wrong to claim that a player is being arrogant whenever she says something like that.

Too easy....Iīm sure that the next comment Serena makes, sheīll get burned for again....and Mariaīs gonna still be loved...and the cute one.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
And you think Oli would be at a risk? :haha: :rolls: As if thereīs even one promille posibility that Maria can beat him.

If you can withstand the power of the Maratīs and Moyaīs of this world, Maria power is nothing....and I think it should be clear: If Maria canīt overpower you, she canīt beat you.
Did I say Rochus would be at serious risk?

I'm just saying it would probably be him who refused the challenge. There is always a chance (even if only a 1% chance) he might look bad.

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM

you should add about 10000 more of those animated rolling around pictures...
that match is a 6-0 6-0 rochus win NO DOUBT....seriously, you can love maria or any female player but Rochus isn't losing to any woman ranked anywhere..i mean i cant believe in 2004 people can even be thinking this way

Martian Willow
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Um..yes, I believe you are correct. What's your point?

Willows Time Saving Tip Of The Day: try reading the whole thread before responding to particular posts.

Dawn Marie
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Why in the hell are people wondering why Serena was called a bunch of names and trashed and yet Maria isn't???

THE WORLD!!! THIS IS A TENNIS, THE WHITEST SPORT IN THE WORLD!!

Maria is blonde and a white person, and Serena is a STRONG black women, and the TENNIS WORLD is still not yet ready, to comprehend that it is okay to BE a STRONG black women with OPINIONS. In their mind Serena shoudl not BEAT people and should remain an average player who will sit at the back of the bus!!

NOT!! Yet people are going to have double standards because they are ignorant of anything that is NOT lily white.

Maria will be able to talk the talk, and Serena will not be able to talk with the same kind of attitude by the media and the tennis world. ONLY Until we the people blow OUR "mother earth" up, ONLY then will this change. yet then we would all be a bunch of DEAD folks and it would not matter. :):):)

WTAaddict
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Its Premature to say "SERENA's Way is to go down from the Top"
She WANTs TO BE the BEST at WHATEVer she Does
I'm sure she's workin ON her GAme in this OFFSEASON
Good LUck SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Its much more premature to say that Maria will never get to what serena has done.

the fact is, as of late, Maria beat Serena twice in a row this year.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
you should add about 10000 more of those animated rolling around pictures...
that match is a 6-0 6-0 rochus win NO DOUBT....seriously, you can love maria or any female player but Rochus isn't losing to any woman ranked anywhere..i mean i cant believe in 2004 people can even be thinking this way
I wonder why some people don't READ the posts before replying to them?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SerialKiller#69
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:43 PM
I think she's just joking about it. She always desperately tries to be funny but to no avail.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Did I say Rochus would be at serious risk?

I'm just saying it would probably be him who refused the challenge. There is always a chance (even if only a 1% chance) he might look bad.

Stop dreaming....there is NO chance. He knows it, you know it, I know it and most importantly....Maria knows it too.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM

Er... Isn't that Skiing? Maybe Ice Hockey? Swimming even?

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Stop dreaming....there is NO chance. He knows it, you know it, I know it and most importantly....Maria knows it too.
Then he's available to play, right?

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Why in the hell are people wondering why Serena was called a bunch of names and trashed and yet Maria isn't???

Maria is blonde and a white person, and Serena is a STRONG black women, and the TENNIS WORLD is still not yet ready, to comprehend that it is okay to BE a STRONG black women with OPINIONS. In their mind Serena shoudl not BEAT people and should remain an average player who will sit at the back of the bus!!

NOT!! Yet people are going to have double standards because they are ignorant of anything that is NOT lily white.

Maria will be able to talk the talk, and Serena will not be able to talk with the same kind of attitude by the media and the tennis world. ONLY Until we the people blow OUR "mother earth" up, ONLY then will this change. yet then we would all be a bunch of DEAD folks and it would not matter. :):):)

hey remember how back then in the days Serena and Venus were seen as arrogant because they pumped the fists and screamed come on?

When you see who the media-darling is nowadays, you wouldnīt believe that those people picked on Serena and Venus for those things....

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
Its much more premature to say that Maria will never get to what serena has done.

the fact is, as of late, Maria beat Serena twice in a row this year.

Nice, so she is a better player than Serena right?

Then why are people so dismissive of Myskina who beat Maria, what, 3 times this year alone and only lost in a freaky three-setter at the YEC? :scratch:

Spunky83
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:49 PM

Just a question:

I donīt care as long as I get to see this one...I think it would be pretty funny! Andy vs. Masha or Roger vs. Masha... :D

No, seriously thereīs a very little chance that a woman can beat a top 500 player. Itīs just the strenght which would counts, nothing else but if Masha really wants to try it I wish her the best luck...girlz power ;) !!! :armed:

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Then he's available to play, right?

If the fee starts at what Maria got for her Korea tournament.....

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
I wonder why some people don't READ the posts before replying to them?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

even if i read your post ide still put that last statement up...even if someone thinks that rochus has a 1% chance of looking bad still is wrong i think..rochus chance of looking bad are in the negative area :)

Dawn Marie
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
bandabou, this is because it is okay by follks to see this display a long as she is a white girl, they don't care. Now if you happen to be a black women BEATING down a white girl then honeychild, that is a HUGE NO NO!!

Black girls in the tennis world just are not supposed to dominate the white girls,but with Venus and Serena showing the tennis world that black girls can throw down with the best of them, hopefully things will change. I still think before this happens we will all be made of stardust, and it won't matter anyway.

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
bandabou, this is because it is okay by follks to see this display a long as she is a white girl, they don't care. Now if you happen to be a black women BEATING down a white girl then honeychild, that is a HUGE NO NO!!

Black girls in the tennis world just are not supposed to dominate the white girls,but with Venus and Serena showing the tennis world that black girls can throw down with the best of them, hopefully things will change. I still think before this happens we will all be made of stardust, and it won't matter anyway.

Sadly...but this is just the truth.

WorldWar24
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Sadly...but this is just the truth.

If you say so

GROW UP CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop recycling the same crap coz it's not doing the williams any good

wayitis
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
And why would a regionally ranking male tennis player CHOOSE to lose to Patty? It would do his rep a lot of harm.

not really... if he is not talented/rich/hardworking/whatever enough to be ranked professionally, he wouldn't care... the match would probably provide him with his fattest paycheck of the year and he would naturally want to keep sponsors happy...

It wouldn't happen. The main reason there are so few M/F matches is that losing to a woman player would be too humiliating for the male. If a man is playing a woman player in front of an audience he does not want to lose.

that is true... but you gotta agree that there is little incentive to a male player to engage in such activities besides the monetary ones...

I'm not saying the Top Male players are in any danger. Their serves and follow-ups are too strong and consistent. But low ranked players are at risk, and are definitely not going to give such a match away as you suggest.

again, possible but improbable... top women are constantly practicing against male juniors or college players and hardly beating them handily... a player like Patty, for example, who relies on spins mostly intead of power, would particularly have a harder time, because men are more used to playing with different spins than most women...

bandabou
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:21 PM
If you say so

GROW UP CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop recycling the same crap coz it's not doing the williams any good

Too easy for white folks...whereas the blacks keep being the victims time and again..

denzuko
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Wow, calm down children :)
I thought this issue has been resolved in 1973's "Battle of the Sexes"
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
So, here's story from the past.

http://ok.essortment.com/billiejeanking_rvwa.htm
http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016060.html

But it was more like a media stunt to me than a real battle.
He was the old, retired champion of the past and she was the champion at her prime.
Under even circumtances... hmm.

When women's golf champion Annika Sorenstam played in PGA Tour, she didn't even make the cut.
Maybe it's media pressure or something... not sure.

In golf, women start from a closer tee to the hole.
In golf you can't attack or intimidate your opponent directly.
Your weapon is only your lowest score.
So... in years to come, stronger women players (like Michelle Wie for instance) maybe can compete equally in men's game... who knows.
And still, it will take more years to beat the best of them.

Back in tennis.
The strongest women's server is around the weakest in men's.
Even power is not necessarily biggest part of tennis, it is a weapon for intimidation and important part for serve/volley type player for example, not to mention a boost for your confidence.
Compare to golf, it will took much longer time for women to beat men in tennis.

In Maria's case, you're all too serious for something like a GQ's article... damn, that's including me !
The reporter who wrote that article maybe is laughing his ass off if he read this thread. I think he was just fooling around when he asked the question, and Maria was just just teasing him... who knows.
In the future, when we can see video attachment on magazine/newspaper interviews, then we can judge it better: www.universaldisplay.com

In the meantime, most of us as fans are just suckers. :)
So, who's to blame?
We are of course... plus the reporter, if you want one more.
We just believe almost everything they said in news, even if some of them are out of context. Most of the media maybe didn't lie, but they didn't tell the whole truth either.
That's part of their game.

Well, next time maybe we can simply just ask the reporter its detail before we fight over something this.
But then again, maybe not... why get rid of the 'fun factor' of this forum.
Some of us just love to fight. :devil:

jrm
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Girl wins one slam and she thinks she's unbeatable ... what an EGO!!

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Wow, calm down children :)
I thought this issue has been resolved in 1973's "Battle of the Sexes"
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
So, here's story from the past.

http://ok.essortment.com/billiejeanking_rvwa.htm
http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016060.html

But it was more like a media stunt to me than a real battle.
He was the old, retired champion of the past and she was the champion at her prime.
Under even circumtances... hmm.

When women's golf champion Annika Sorenstam played in PGA Tour, she didn't even make the cut.
Maybe it's media pressure or something... not sure.

In golf, women start from a closer tee to the hole.
In golf you can't attack or intimidate your opponent directly.
Your weapon is only your lowest score.
So... in years to come, stronger women players (like Michelle Wie for instance) maybe can compete equally in men's game... who knows.
And still, it will take more years to beat the best of them.

Back in tennis.
The strongest women's server is around the weakest in men's.
Even power is not necessarily biggest part of tennis, it is a weapon for intimidation and important part for serve/volley type player for example, not to mention a boost for your confidence.
Compare to golf, it will took much longer time for women to beat men in tennis.

In Maria's case, you're all too serious for something like a GQ's article... damn, that's including me !
The reporter who wrote that article maybe is laughing his ass off if he read this thread. I think he was just fooling around when he asked the question, and Maria was just just teasing him... who knows.
In the future, when we can see video attachment on magazine/newspaper interviews, then we can judge it better: www.universaldisplay.com

In the meantime, most of us as fans are just suckers. :)
So, who's to blame?
We are of course... plus the reporter, if you want one more.
We just believe almost everything they said in news, even if some of them are out of context. Most of the media maybe didn't lie, but they didn't tell the whole truth either.
That's part of their game.

Well, next time maybe we can simply just ask the reporter its detail before we fight over something this.
But then again, maybe not... why get rid of the 'fun factor' of this forum.
Some of us just love to fight. :devil:

i remember hearing about that match growing up and thinking wow...but then i got older and saw the footage and the first thing i saw was how old riggs was/looked..and riggs still won 10 games at 55...what if it was king vs some top 10 player? the problem is most non tennis fans use this as a reference point so when sharapova, who is mainstream, even jokes about it most tennis fans believe its true..

Jackson.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:20 AM
And one day she will :) :)