PDA

View Full Version : For sure.....Hingis is going to play VOLVO

cadiac
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM
Hingis Playing for First Time in Two Years

One of the game's most popular players and most cherished champions will compete in a WTA Tour event for the first time in more than two years this January.
Former World No.1 Martina Hingis has agreed to play in the Volvo Women’s Open WTA Tour event in Pattaya next year to raise funds for a number of Thailand’s leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness.

The organizations to be supported by Hingis are the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth.

“While I am in Thailand, I am very much looking forward to spending time with those that benefit from the good work of the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth," Hingis said. "I hope to raise awareness of the support needed for those who are less fortunate and living in impoverished conditions in Thailand and around the world.”

Hingis was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization and during the year 2000 launched their “Match Point Against Polio” campaign. That same year, Martina traveled to Bogota, Colombia in support of the United Nations “Teams to End Poverty” campaign.

Hingis has won 76 singles and doubles titles during her tennis career, including 14 Grand Slam titles and achieved many milestones along the way, as being the youngest ever player to reach No.1 in the world at the age of 16 years, 6 months. She is also one of only five women players to have been ranked No 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, a feat which she achieved for 35 weeks between June, 1998 – March, 2000.

Martina will be playing her first WTA Tour event since Filderstadt in 2002.

Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Volvo Women’s Open stated that “We are very excited that Martina has chosen to play in Pattaya for the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth. These organizations are well-known and have very strong records in assisting deprived women and children in Thailand and we are confident that Martina’s support will help draw attention to their plight, and others in a similar position around the world.”

Link : WTATOUR (http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_5807_rx.asp)

YEAH!!!!! Yaho!!!! Bravo!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Paldias
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:09 PM
:woohoo: :D :yeah:

Lucy
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
what?:eek:
martina H. is making a come back?:clap2:
woohoo!:banana:

mashenka best 1
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:49 PM
she is a gr8 person for all female tennis players...

i miss her clever game... she has left a fine legacy

dare i say that federer must have benefited from her work?

(tangent i know)

Andy.
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:17 AM
Is she really playing. Is it a real tournament ? I hope so it would be great to see her back. I wasnt a fan of hers but she was a huge asset to the game and her different style of play was a great contrast in the top players.

akosijepoy
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
this is great news....i miss Martina Hingis!!!