PDA

View Full Version : Myskina Selected Most Exciting 2004

Frank Riley
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:03 PM
2004 Most Exciting Player of the Year Award
Frank Riley (www.Inside-Tennis.net)
Each year I would like to select the player in the WTA I feel is the most exciting tennis player of the year. This is totally a subjective vote based on the matches I have watched.

My selection for 2004 Most Exciting WTA Tennis Player of the Year goes to:

Anastasia Myskina

The reason I selected Anastasia is the number of three set matches she has played this year. Every match I have ever watched this year with Anastasia playing has turned into a very long match with some of the longest tie breaks of the year. I have watched Anastasia mentally very strong come back from several games down to win sets and matches.
Anastasia has both frustrated and mentally destroyed other tennis players through out the year.
This year as well Anastasia has had some of the most heart breaking loses. The Olympics was both a wonderful event for Anastasia but also a very heart breaking event. But what I noticed was that even when Anastasia does not win a match, it is still a very long and exciting match to watch.
If you want to make sure you see an exciting and gripping match with the best tennis of the year I would strongly say make sure you see an Anastasia Myskina match as they are always the most exciting matches through out the year.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Shouldn't you be objective Frank? My vote would go to Maria Sharapova even though Anastasia Myskina is a good choice. :) Masha was the story at Wimbledon and the WTA Tour championships in Los Angeles.

Frank Riley
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM
I did not pick Maria because there was a large part of the year when Maria really did not play very well. Yes I do think Maria played excellent at two events that you mention, but over all she did not have the year Myskina did as you can see by their rankings. I also looked at the matches, Myskina had more three set matches and long matches with huge tie breaks. There were many tournaments when Maria played poorly and did not look very exciting.
I do have to say that if I changed my award for the most improvement I would have given that to Sharapova for sure.

The objective part, would mean I used data and numbers, I did not do that. I used emotion and my feelings, that is subjective.

vertigo
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM
I'd say Lindsay Davenport as for a woman set to retire she has had a VERY exciting year! On the Russian front i'd say Svetlana is 'the most exciting player of the year'- not only winning a GS to match Sharapova and Myskina but getting to the YEC in BOTH singles and doubles.

Vass22
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:29 PM
I agree. A player who wins, but does it by saving matchpoints... a player who has match points and still loses...
She's the most exciting to watch on every-match scale and in the long run... Up and downs are more exciting for fans, than plain loses or plain wins.

Frank Riley
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM
Davenport I would say is the greatest tennis player currently playing singles in the WTA but she is not exciting. Davenport wins in a very unexciting manner, she just out serves and normally wins in two sets. Try to understand what my award was for: The most exciting player.
Myskina always had exciting matches this year, full of tie breaks, drama and some times joy other times tears. Myskina was the most exciting player hands down. Keep in mind Myskina is not the largest or the strongest player, she does not have those abiltities, what Myskina has is a very good brain and very exciting play. A Myskina match this year is hands down the most exciting on average.

jochem
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM
I think Nastya earns it more than anyone else!!!!!!! I totally agree with you Frank. Maria also had a great year but I don't know what kind of award she should get...most promising teen? She's achieved too much allready to get such an award...anyway go Nastya hope you have an even better 2005!

jochem
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:35 PM
I can think of three superb matches featuring Nastya.... French Open round 4 against Kuznetsova 16 64 86 (saven mp), olympics vs Henin-H in semis lost 75 57 86 (held 5-1 lead in final set) and longest match of 2004 and longest final tie-breaker ever 62 67 76 (15-13) win over Zvonareva!!!!!!!!!

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Frank, Sharapova went from 32 to 4 in the rankings this year and to me that was more impressive that Myskina's ranking improvement.

Nastya did play some exciting matches this year. Too bad American television didn't show her thrilling win over Kuznetsova in the French Open.

Jakeev
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM
2004 Most Exciting Player of the Year Award
Frank Riley (www.Inside-Tennis.net (http://www.inside-tennis.net/))
Each year I would like to select the player in the WTA I feel is the most exciting tennis player of the year. This is totally a subjective vote based on the matches I have watched.

My selection for 2004 Most Exciting WTA Tennis Player of the Year goes to:

Anastasia Myskina

The reason I selected Anastasia is the number of three set matches she has played this year. Every match I have ever watched this year with Anastasia playing has turned into a very long match with some of the longest tie breaks of the year. I have watched Anastasia mentally very strong come back from several games down to win sets and matches.
Anastasia has both frustrated and mentally destroyed other tennis players through out the year.
This year as well Anastasia has had some of the most heart breaking loses. The Olympics was both a wonderful event for Anastasia but also a very heart breaking event. But what I noticed was that even when Anastasia does not win a match, it is still a very long and exciting match to watch.
If you want to make sure you see an exciting and gripping match with the best tennis of the year I would strongly say make sure you see an Anastasia Myskina match as they are always the most exciting matches through out the year.
Several three-set matches does not necessarily make exciting tennis. You are entitled to your opinion though even if you are wrong.......

Frank Riley
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:59 PM
Will I am not wrong as I said I clearly point out what I selected for and I was at the Vera match talked about above, it was the best match I have ever watched, I have watched all the current players and Myskina was the most exciting. Maybe you need to watch more matches. Also, note I am reporting the selection at my website, I am not talking about other site. WWW.Inside-Tennis.net selected Myskina, when you have your own site you can select your own player.

vertigo
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:53 PM
Davenport I would say is the greatest tennis player currently playing singles in the WTA but she is not exciting. Davenport wins in a very unexciting manner, she just out serves and normally wins in two sets. Try to understand what my award was for: The most exciting player.
Myskina always had exciting matches this year, full of tie breaks, drama and some times joy other times tears. Myskina was the most exciting player hands down. Keep in mind Myskina is not the largest or the strongest player, she does not have those abiltities, what Myskina has is a very good brain and very exciting play. A Myskina match this year is hands down the most exciting on average.

Thank you more acknowledging Lindsay's skill. I understand your point and except that at times Lindsay (like Jennifer's) game style is a rather predictable. However, as you have already mentioned this is a very subjective choice, and therefore it is greatly influenced by ones own likes and dislikes. Despite those three great matches and all the recent off-court drama however I do not really find Myskina's matches that exciting. I do not invest as much emotion into Myskina's matches due to a certain amount of apathy I have towards her. This may well change the more I am exposed to her; however at the moment I find the matches of Lindsay Davenport more exciting to watch than Myskina. I think we should just agree to disagree over this point.

Spunky83
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:49 PM
Just look at the matches you can vote for on WTAtour.com as best win of 2004. Guess what...mysteriously there are three Nastya matches out of possible five...

Frank Riley
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:51 PM
Vertigo, perhaps you missed the last matches that Myskina beat Davenport those were exciting matches for sure.

But you are right, as I said it is a subjective selection based on my emotions and likes. Of course a selection made by another person could be different. There are many exciting tennis players out there and the way you select a type of player can change this subject greatly. Vera Z. is very emotional and it is exciting to watch her, her match with Myskina was the most exciting match I have ever watched, so I gave Myskina credit for that exciting match but the truth is it was Myskina and Vera that made the match exciting and both need credit for that. What I said about Davenport is based on her calm collective style, she wins but at times is not exciting. Also, at times she is so good she just beats the crap out of people and that is not exciting. But still Davenport had some exciting matches some with Myskina and so we have to say Davenport at times is exciting. For sure I will flat out say this Davenport is amazing as a tennis player and she is the best this year for sure.
I just think Myskina had the most drama and exciting year.

Experimentee
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Exciting matches does not mean exciting player.
To be an exciting player there has to be something in the way they play the game that can entertain the crowd, like being quick or hitting lots of winners.
For me, Myskina would have to be one of the most boring players I've seen.

xan
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
"Exciting" is not the word I'd use for Myskina. "Interesting" perhaps, she gets into a lot of three-setters that could go either way. But she is a counterpuncher, she irritates other players into making errors, keeps the ball in play.

She doesn't attract big crowds to watch her matches - and that I think is the hallmark of an exciting player. Justine at Wimbledon in 2001. Wherever she played a big crowd gathered, just drawn by her tennis.

AlexB
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
"Exciting" is not the word I'd use for Myskina. "Interesting" perhaps, she gets into a lot of three-setters that could go either way. But she is a counterpuncher, she irritates other players into making errors, keeps the ball in play.

She doesn't attract big crowds to watch her matches - and that I think is the hallmark of an exciting player. Justine at Wimbledon in 2001. Wherever she played a big crowd gathered, just drawn by her tennis.

exciting and being popular are two different things....i think exciting has a lot to do with her matches having the result in doubt right until the end....she can be up big and lose she can by down a set and win, she could win 4 games in a row then lose the next 5 and vice versa...her matches flow very mysteriously...as a fan that is exciting

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
This is totally subjective. When you have a rooting interest, that player is entertaining to watch.

crazillo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:00 PM
The award for the most chokes would clearly go to Maggie (in 3-set-matches). I think Anastasia's choice is OK (I say this as a hater).

Frank Riley
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
All good points, Xan you point out the big crowd issue, Myskina is getting big crowds now and all her matches I watched had a full house. If we go with your thought then Kournikova would be the most exciting tennis player in the world as she brings the people. The player that I noticed that brought people this year was Sharapova for sure but that is because of her attractive looks, she had some of the worst matches of the year for a top player. So you can see the error in your thoughts. Kournikova is exciting for her celebrity status but I would still say Myskina is a more exciting tennis player.

In fact I stand behind my award 100 % as Myskina is the most exciting tennis player in the WTA this year based on pure tennis matches.

Jakeev
Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Exciting matches does not mean exciting player.
To be an exciting player there has to be something in the way they play the game that can entertain the crowd, like being quick or hitting lots of winners.
For me, Myskina would have to be one of the most boring players I've seen.
I would not say Myskina is boring to watch but she isn't overwhelmingly exciting in every match she competes in. The French Open final is a case in point.

Is it me or does the originator of this thread have an obvious hardon on for her?:lol:

Frank Riley
Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:01 PM
Will lets say I do have a hardon for lots of young attractive females in the WTA, I have to say that is true. I do like Myskina but to be honest I do not only see her for that. I see her as a very down to earth sweet person and that is the quality I like the most.