PDA

View Full Version : Does Maria Sharapova and her fans, get a rough deal?

Serena Sharapova
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
I was just thinking back to when the YEC tournament was on. A few friends and myself decided to stay and watch the tennis coverage. Maria Sharapova was playing, it doesn’t really matter who her opponent was, because this will relate to most of the players (and their fans).
Well when she was playing they were cheering on her opponent, I sshouted ‘Come on Maria’ to which they replied, ‘We want anyone but her to win’!
I asked ‘what do you mean’? Then they said that they didn’t care who won (if it wasn’t their favourite) as long as Maria lost. Now I know all fans aren’t like this, and some are very fair towards all players. But do some fans approach a tournament with this thought “ They wish their favourite to win, then if not, Maria to lose is the most pleasure they get from the rest of the tournament”?
:confused:

Spunky83
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:50 AM
The more famous she becomes the more haters she gets...sad, but true;)

Doraemon
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
I c nothin wrong with it.
I would think u r takin the matter way too seriously.

Serena Sharapova
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:11 PM
I c nothin wrong with it.
I would think u r takin the matter way too seriously.

Well I didn't disown my friends over what happened.:DBut I can't figure out what it is that Maria has done or said, to have so many people dislike her, probably just jealousy.

Doraemon
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM
do u think she would be gettin as much media attention as she is if she had been born ugly? ppl may be jealous but her pretty face helps just as much as her tennis.

Experimentee
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:32 PM
Everyone cheers for someone to lose at some point or another.
Just because that player is your fave you take offence, but its quite normal. I bet you do it too sometimes.

Jaime Bahena
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
do u think she would be gettin as much media attention as she is if she had been born ugly? ppl may be jealous but her pretty face helps just as much as her tennis.

Good points. Case in point: If the sisters were ugly, and lacked talent, they would be long gone by now [from the public eye, that is]. Beauty combined with talent is a lethal combination, and people are jealous of it, subsequently, turning that jealousy into hatred.

houseoflords
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Many of Maria's fans are a little over zealous. At the US Open this year, they wouldn't allow her to breathe. They followed her in droves as she was leaving a match. They were yelling and trying to get to her. Security had to keep them away. When she does sign autographs, they push and shove and knee people in the back (I know it happened to me) to get through. When fans act like that, it easy for people to start to root against the player because you want those fans to be dissappointed. I really can't stand her fans or her team for that matter. I'm not a Sharapova hater but I'm not a Sharapova lover either. The simple fact is when you have success, some people aren't going to like you. Try not to worry about it

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
IMG wants to make Masha an international icon and I'm against that. I think everything should happen naturally for her including winning. There is already a backlash against Masha and that's too bad.

Jakeev
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
IMG wants to make Masha an international icon and I'm against that. I think everything should happen naturally for her including winning. There is already a backlash against Masha and that's too bad.
But if Maria can maintain her steely, determined self, I think she can overcome all that and move on. She is loved as much as she is hated so I really don't think she much to worry about right now.

Andy.
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:21 PM
I dont believe that Maria and her fans are treated very nicely in this place, Mind you there are some weirdos who follow her but the Majority of her fans are great. She does not deserve this bad tag any more than any other player and her fans. She is not the one creating all the hype about herself and quite frankly she really has shown us this year that she is a lot more than Hype she has the game.

TonyP
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM
Maria is suffering from the embarrassment of riches syndrome. Right now she seems to have it all and some people don't like that. I think most of them, however, are people who see Maria stealing the thunder of their favorite players. She went largely ignored by many of these critics until she convincingly beat Serena Williams at Wimbledon. Suddenly, she developed villain status almost over night. Now, even the most innocuous move on her part is soundly criticized, i. e. John Wertheim's attack on her for her hideous fist pumping at Staples Center. You would have thought she'd flipped Serena the bird the way he talked. All she did was pump her fist after the allegedly injured Serena had hit winner after winner, following a five minute injury time out.

And don't forget, this is the same Serena who constantly belittled Maria's Wimbledon victory, implying it only happened because Serena was playing at 20 percent or some such nonsense.

Maria is not perfect and I am not particularly a fan of her's, but I think bad behavior should be a lot worse behavior than Maria is guilty of before the press starts taking them to task publicly.

faboozadoo15
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:58 PM
But if Maria can maintain her steely, determined self, I think she can overcome all that and move on. She is loved as much as she is hated so I really don't think she much to worry about right now.
the mass media and the normal people love maria because when maria wins, it isn't a loss for their favorite. when maria wins, it's at the cost of someone else... and on this site, when you're kickin ass, you're hated by a lot of people because it's keeping their favorite from winning.

DA FOREHAND
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Maria is suffering from the embarrassment of riches syndrome. Right now she seems to have it all and some people don't like that. I think most of them, however, are people who see Maria stealing the thunder of their favorite players. She went largely ignored by many of these critics until she convincingly beat Serena Williams at Wimbledon. Suddenly, she developed villain status almost over night. Now, even the most innocuous move on her part is soundly criticized, i. e. John Wertheim's attack on her for her hideous fist pumping at Staples Center. You would have thought she'd flipped Serena the bird the way he talked. All she did was pump her fist after the allegedly injured Serena had hit winner after winner, following a five minute injury time out.

And don't forget, this is the same Serena who constantly belittled Maria's Wimbledon victory, implying it only happened because Serena was playing at 20 percent or some such nonsense.

Maria is not perfect and I am not particularly a fan of her's, but I think bad behavior should be a lot worse behavior than Maria is guilty of before the press starts taking them to task publicly.

Behind every trashy action there's good ole tonyP

Helen Lawson
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
Nature's first green is gold!

Volcana
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
Compared to what Venus Williams had to put up with at 17, what Sharapova is going through right now is a spa vacation in Hawaii.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:13 PM
Jakeev, I think you're right about Masha's steely determination. But she's only human and she won't be pleased to fina out she has so mnay critics. But maybe she won't find out. ;)

Wells aid Andrew and Tony.

What does that mean, Helen?

mashenka best 1
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:13 PM
maria is tough from what i have heard

she thrives in a little unpleasant arena

she is still super star in making

!!

Jaime Bahena
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:15 PM
Compared to what Venus Williams had to put up with at 17, what Sharapova is going through right now is a spa vacation in Hawaii.
Compared to what Althea Gibson had to put up with at 17, what Venus is going through right now is a spa vacation in Tahiti: what's your point?

DA FOREHAND
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM
Compared to what Althea Gibson had to put up with at 17, what Venus is going through right now is a spa vacation in Tahiti: what's your point?

Maybe his point was, thanks to Althea, the shit Venus had to deal with was less of a burden.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM

It doesn't necessarily have to be jealously, you know, although that is the popular simplistic approach to most things around here. "You don't like something - you must be jealous!". Sigh. Critical thinking is key, folks.

I imagine that some people resent the fact that Maria gets immense amounts of attention despite the fact that there are players just as successful as her who get hardly any (ie: Kuznetsova. Myskina in the US, though I imagine she gets plenty of attention in her homeland). Does it make me "jealous" of her because I wish to see female athletes judged on their achievements, not their faces? No. It doesn't. It makes me a lot of things, but "jealous" is certainly not one of them.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Good point Becca. I think Myskina for example resents Maria and is not jealous of her. There is a difference. I just hope Maria can block out the criticism and keep moving forward in her career. That is vital otherwise her game will probably stagnate.

Helen Lawson
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:54 PM
Jakeev, I think you're right about Masha's steely determination. But she's only human and she won't be pleased to fina out she has so mnay critics. But maybe she won't find out. ;)

Wells aid Andrew and Tony.

What does that mean, Helen?
I cannot take credit for it, it's from Robert Frost's Nothing Gold Can Stay:

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

It means that being young is better than being old, but that youth doesn't last and there are no exceptions to this. That's part of nature. I apply this to Maria Sharapova, she's 17, beautiful, and now, a tennis champion. She's the gold of the poem here. We should celebrate her "goldness" as she's right in the middle of it and it will be over soon enough, as there are no exceptions that youth and the "goldness" of the poem will soon be gone, at least for her. Celebrate and cherish her youth and achievements while they still exist and are in the present instead of trying to tear them down. She's in her gold and we need to enjoy it while it lasts.

starr
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:57 PM

Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

It means that being young is better than being old, but that youth doesn't last and there are no exceptions to this. That's part of nature. I apply this to Maria Sharapova, she's 17, beautiful, and now, a tennis champion. She's the gold of the poem here. We should celebrate her "goldness" as she's right in the middle of it and it will be over soon enough, as there are no exceptions that youth and the "goldness" of the poem will soon be gone, at least for her. Celebrate and cherish her youth and achievements while they still exist and are in the present instead of trying to tear them down. She's in her gold and we need to enjoy it while it lasts.
:worship:

The problem is that some fans see their favorites slipping out of the golden period and somehow think they can preserve the gold for their favorite by tarnishing another. :)

starr
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:59 PM
And shall we compare what Seles went through at 19 to what any other player went through at the same age......... or any other age for that matter.

If you want to look around, you will always find someone who has had a worse time of it.

the cat
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks Helen. It makes sense now. And Masha is the golden one. But she will have to win to stay golden. That's the golden rule in tennis.

griffin
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:27 PM

Keep in mind this is the same Wetheim who'd dumped on SERENA for not giving her opponents enough credit - so while I agree with you that player behavior/statements should be a lot worse before getting trashed by the media, JW was at least evenhanded in his excess, whereas I'd bet that some of Masha's defenders would opine that "at least Serena deserved it" (and vice versa).

(and she was catching shit well before that match)

She's getting more famous, so she's getting more attention, so she's getting more NEGATIVE attention as well. It happens. To pretty much everyone.

Volcana
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM
Compared to what Althea Gibson had to put up with at 17, what Venus is going through right now is a spa vacation in Tahiti: what's your point?Sharapova and her fans do not get a 'rough deal' in comparison to current players on the tour.

faboozadoo15
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
Sharapova and her fans do not get a 'rough deal' in comparison to current players on the tour.
so of course this justifies what happens. we must stay stagnant and non progressive. treat others the way others have been treated. thanks, now we know your opinion. ;)

griffin
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:34 PM
I don't think V was saying the venom is ok, just that it's nothing special.

And it isn't (which is sad all by itself)

Dave B
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
Famous tennis players are characters to the public. Tennis is very dramatic, and like any good play there are people who you identify with and people who you hate...and enjoy hating. In tennis, who these pepople are is different for everyone--Maria is a character who some people love and some love to hate. I think there's nothing wrong with that, it makes victory all the more sweet.

Volcana
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:45 PM
so of course this justifies what happens. we must stay stagnant and non progressive. treat others the way others have been treated. thanks, now we know your opinion. ;)I agree you tend to be stagnant and non-progressive. And don't read very well. NOW you know my opinion. Before, you were just projecting your own shortcomings.:)

Doc
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:05 AM

Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

I remember the BBC commentator said something like this when Maria was holding the Wimbledon plate. I can't remember exactly, I may have got some of the words wrong, but it was something along the lines of:

"Someday she will be old, no longer playing tennis. Someday she will tell her children and grandchildren about this moment. Someday her enthusiasm and
youth will have gone. But not today."

I thought that captured the moment.

http://www.mariaworld.net/wimbledon04283.jpg

Pureracket
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:23 AM
It's just weird that threads like these are offered sane approaches when the same things are still happening to Venus and Serena.

faboozadoo15
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:29 AM
It's just weird that threads like these are offered sane approaches when the same things are still happening to Venus and Serena.
there aren't threads for the same subject for them :eek:

Doc
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Tim too gets unmerited hate.

faboozadoo15
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:32 AM
I agree you tend to be stagnant and non-progressive. And don't read very well. NOW you know my opinion. Before, you were just projecting your own shortcomings.:)
how am i stagnant and non-progressive? i'm not the one condoning bad behavior because so and so "had to go through the same thing." i don't think anyone should have to face such outward hate. i recognize the ability to step up and treat people well. you can't like everyone, but you shouldn't hate anyone. nor should you excuse it ;)

jdog3008
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:38 AM
Tim too gets unmerited hate.
Maria can't become ugly, but Tim CAN brush his teeth :cool:

harloo
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Actually Maria and her lunatic father don't get a rough deal at all. I see nothing but excuses from the commentators, you don't here Nav coming out and blasting her father's behaviour, no former top players making negative statements about her.

Even writers suck up to Maria. Maybe it's the Russian, pubescent blond teenage fantasy thing going on? I don't know, but their golden girl is the chosen one, that's for sure. Now we will have to see if anyone can dethrone their crowned Princess.

It should make for good matches on TV next year. :lol: ;)

Shenanigans
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
Personally I have nothing against the girl but when I watched the YEC match Amélie and Maria. The commentators really pissed me off they just spoke about Maria what she is doing right or wrong, it is like they believe people are only watching the match cause of Maria. I still hope and believe that is not the case. :angel:

But I don't blame the girl just the hype!

Volcana
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
how am i stagnant and non-progressive? i'm not the one condoning bad behavior because so and so "had to go through the same thing." i don't think anyone should have to face such outward hate. i recognize the ability to step up and treat people well. you can't like everyone, but you shouldn't hate anyone. nor should you excuse it ;)You shouldn't mistake comparing two situations for condoning the behaviour in them, but you have no trouble making that mistake. Repeatedly. You also shouldn't accuse other people of hating people OR condoning hatred just YOU feel those emotions. Stop projecting your feelings onto others. These are YOUR thoughts and feelings. Own them.

houseoflords
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:33 AM
I have worked the US Open for 4 years and I have to say that Maria's fans are the absolute worst that I've seen during that time. For the most part, they are rude and very pushy. I was near Maria this year at the Open when a few of her fans became really pushy and she cringed and drew closer to security. The fans need to back of a bit.

Couver
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM
:worship:

The problem is that some fans see their favorites slipping out of the golden period and somehow think they can preserve the gold for their favorite by tarnishing another. :)
Well I can guess what "fans" you are talking about so I ask...

Were you as sympathetic when said fans favorite players were going through the same thing from other fans sad that their faves golden age was over??

I seem to recall a certain fan still trashing those emerging players.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM
Star is a self righteous hypocrite. That should answer your question :p

Experimentee
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:11 PM
There isnt really a lot of hate of Maria at all. Almost everything in the media is positive about her, commentators drool over her and call her the greatest thing in tennis, many people are saying she'll be the best ever. I really dont call that hate.

Compare it to what Serena received at 17. The day after she won the US Open at 17 there was an article in the Herald Sun about how ugly her tennis is, mentioning she made 56 UE's, and how she only uses power and strength to beat up on poor 55kg Hingis. Maria plays the same sort of game but never got criticised for that.

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

What had Venus to put up with? Could you give us some real examples, rather than hearsay.:D
:eek:

Serena Sharapova
Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Good points. Case in point: If the sisters were ugly, and lacked talent, they would be long gone by now [from the public eye, that is]. Beauty combined with talent is a lethal combination, and people are jealous of it, subsequently, turning that jealousy into hatred.

Why the lack of hatred towards Gabriela Sabatini? :confused: The majority of fans seemed to like her, even though she was very beautiful and talented.

Does this mean, you think their fans would be too?

BeautifulGirl
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
The more famous she becomes the more haters she gets...sad, but true;)

does Masha care? :rolleyes: she earns millions and is the new queen of tennis.

haters always want to pull down the best player down. just like Hingis, Seles, Evert when they were number one. :o

xan
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Why the lack of hatred towards Gabriela Sabatini? :confused: The majority of fans seemed to like her, even though she was very beautiful and talented.

She never won a slam, or really threatened for the top of tennis.

Yuri
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
She never won a slam, or really threatened for the top of tennis.

She won the 1990 US Open final. Dope!

JCF
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Everyone cheers for someone to lose at some point or another.
Just because that player is your fave you take offence, but its quite normal. I bet you do it too sometimes.
Why would anyone take offence to it :confused:

Its just a game at the end of the day, who cares what ppl say. Apart from the crazy fans who live through their favourite player.

TonyP
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Sabatini also got to the finals of the '91 Wimbledon and was within two points of a victory over Graf. Had she won that match, she would have probably reached number one. She also won something like 27 singles titles during her career. She was not one of the actual greats, but a very, very good player who I think is Hall of Fame material.

Kart
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Er, not correct.

Sabatini got her fair share of hatred and criticism. Labelled a choker, overrated, underperforming, bad server, looks more than talent etc. It's only in retirement and mainly because most of her success was long before most people on this board were really into tennis that she gets a fond remembrance.

She never won a slam, or really threatened for the top of tennis.Check out tenniscorner.net

1)1985-10-14Tokyo
2)1986-12-01Buenos Aires
3)1987-09-14Tokyo
4)1987-10-19Brighton
5)1987-11-30Buenos Aires
6)1988-03-07Boca Raton, Florida
7)1988-05-02Rome
8)1988-08-15Montreal
9)1988-11-14Virginia Slims Championships at New York, New York
10)1989-03-20Key Biscayne, Florida
11)1989-04-10Amelia Island, Florida
12)1989-05-08Rome
13)1989-10-09Filderstadt
14)1990-03-05Boca Raton, Florida
15)1990-08-27U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows, New York
16)1991-01-28Tokyo
17)1991-03-04Boca Raton, Florida
18)1991-04-01Hilton Head, South Carolina
19)1991-04-08Amelia Island, Florida
20)1991-05-06Rome
21)1992-01-06Sydney
22)1992-01-27Tokyo
23)1992-03-30Hilton Head, South Carolina
24)1992-04-06Amelia Island, Florida
25)1992-05-04Rome
26)1994-11-14Virginia Slims Championships at New York, New York
27)1995-01-09Sydney

Highest rank no.3.

Consistently in the top ten for ten years - in the top five for five of those years.

Three times, one win away from being ranked world no.1.

I could go on and on ...

griffin
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
I could go on and on ...

You can, but you should post pics if you do :p

Kart
Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:41 PM
Not allowed - Getty images have all the best ones :p.

Denise4925
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:24 PM
I just don't like her. Has nothing to do with jealousy. I think she's arrogant, smug and inconsiderate.

Greenout
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
No. The press/media love Maria. So, do the commentators and
the WTA.

Now Justine get's absolute shit here in WTAworld and generally
everywhere that her rivals don't. Geez, she can't even get a
100% support in Belgium!

Q&A
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Er, not correct.

Sabatini got her fair share of hatred and criticism. Labelled a choker, overrated, underperforming, bad server, looks more than talent etc. It's only in retirement and mainly because most of her success was long before most people on this board were really into tennis that she gets a fond remembrance.

Check out tenniscorner.net

1)1985-10-14Tokyo
2)1986-12-01Buenos Aires
3)1987-09-14Tokyo
4)1987-10-19Brighton
5)1987-11-30Buenos Aires
6)1988-03-07Boca Raton, Florida
7)1988-05-02Rome
8)1988-08-15Montreal
9)1988-11-14Virginia Slims Championships at New York, New York
10)1989-03-20Key Biscayne, Florida
11)1989-04-10Amelia Island, Florida
12)1989-05-08Rome
13)1989-10-09Filderstadt
14)1990-03-05Boca Raton, Florida
15)1990-08-27U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows, New York
16)1991-01-28Tokyo
17)1991-03-04Boca Raton, Florida
18)1991-04-01Hilton Head, South Carolina
19)1991-04-08Amelia Island, Florida
20)1991-05-06Rome
21)1992-01-06Sydney
22)1992-01-27Tokyo
23)1992-03-30Hilton Head, South Carolina
24)1992-04-06Amelia Island, Florida
25)1992-05-04Rome
26)1994-11-14Virginia Slims Championships at New York, New York
27)1995-01-09Sydney

Highest rank no.3.

Consistently in the top ten for ten years - in the top five for five of those years.

Three times, one win away from being ranked world no.1.

I could go on and on ...

Of course all of the above are comments on her tennis ability, not personal demeanour. :)

Kart
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Well I could provide an account of that as well if you like.

Although I've not met her :bigcry:.

Q&A
Dec 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Well I could provide an account of that as well if you like.

Although I've not met her :bigcry:.

Go on, provide me with an account.

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Maria can't become ugly, but Tim CAN brush his teeth :cool:
Nope, she can't become what she already is. :p

Denise4925
Dec 8th, 2004, 10:37 PM
There isnt really a lot of hate of Maria at all. Almost everything in the media is positive about her, commentators drool over her and call her the greatest thing in tennis, many people are saying she'll be the best ever. I really dont call that hate.

Compare it to what Serena received at 17. The day after she won the US Open at 17 there was an article in the Herald Sun about how ugly her tennis is, mentioning she made 56 UE's, and how she only uses power and strength to beat up on poor 55kg Hingis. Maria plays the same sort of game but never got criticised for that.
Isn't that just par for the course in Europe and America?