PDA

View Full Version : Who tells AL Groenefeld to play about 35 events a year?!

ChrisGermany
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:20 AM
We all know that countries like Belgium or Russia overtook Germany´s tennis role in recent years. Due to Graf´s, Huber´s and Hack´s retirement, the situation of constant top20 players is just over. Rare surprises by top50 players like Barna or Weingartner are the present situation of our tennis.

Now that we HAVE a talent that makes us interesting even for the Hopman Cup :bounce: :bounce: a guy that is her´s and Shaughnessy´s trainer kind of leads her to play even EVERY year-end-challenger in the US just to re-start in 2005 by playing in Perth. I wonder when this girl stops tennis due to a burn-out-syndrom.

Or are we are misled and she only played this many events this year to sort out those she wants to concentrate on in 2005 ...

Brαm
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:16 PM
It's crazy :cuckoo:

Experimentee
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
Maybe she tells herself?
Some people just like playing a lot of tournaments. And its not like she gets far in all those tournaments anyway.

SilK
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM
*the little voices in her head*

No, really, does she play 35 a year? That's A LOT! :cuckoo:

The Guilty
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
Frederica Piedade also played 35 tournaments this year, counting with Palm Beach Gardens this week. And she's still entered for Bergamo, so if she plays it she'll end with 36 tournaments played :o

I think they're both :cuckoo:

Experimentee
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
Dominik Hrbaty used to always play about 35 tournaments on the ATP, and he was always around top 30 :o
This year he cut down his schedule to "only" 31 tournaments, and ended the year around 14.

Fingon
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM
hmmm Dokic?

matthias
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
okay, i think it is a difference if a top players plays 35 tournaments, or a player like Grönefeld.
she lost few times at first round, and so 35 tournaments are less or the same numbers of matches top10 players usually has to play.

Grönefeld has 41/32 = 73 matches

the Top5
Kuznetzova has 60/23 = 83 matches
Mauresmo has 67/13 = 80 matches
Davenport has 68/10 = 78 matches
Myskina has 57/21 = 78 matches
Sharapova has 56/17 = 73 matches

she will cut down her schedule if she is more successfull
but now it seems she try to go up in the rankings.
but i think it would more helpfull to work on her tennis, as playing 35 tournaments the year.

JennyS
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:40 PM
She probably spends more money on travel expenses than she earns from playing tennis.

GoDominique
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:42 PM
Frankly, I expect ALG to meltdown in the near future if she doesn't change her entourage soon. :rolleyes:

All this sounds too familiar. Away with Font de Mora, this whole arrangement with Adidas seems to be unhealthy.
And if it's true that they are in a relationship ... :retard:

Not another German talent going to hell. :banghead:

GoDominique
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM
okay, i think it is a difference if a top players plays 35 tournaments, or a player like Grönefeld.
she lost few times at first round, and so 35 tournaments are less or the same numbers of matches top10 players usually has to play.

Grönefeld has 41/32 = 73 matches

the Top5
Kuznetzova has 60/23 = 83 matches
Mauresmo has 67/13 = 80 matches
Davenport has 68/10 = 78 matches
Myskina has 57/21 = 78 matches
Sharapova has 56/17 = 73 matches

she will cut down her schedule if she is more successfull
but now it seems she try to go up in the rankings.
but i think it would more helpfull to work on her tennis, as playing 35 tournaments the year.
Of course that's true, but I don't see her going up the ranks this way.

On WTA level she sucks. Hardly any good wins. She can win challengers, she knows that already. Playing this week is absolutely useless.

If she keeps on playing challengers, she will probably remain in the 70's.

If she has bigger ambitions, she needs competition with top-100 players, as much as possible.

DevilishAttitude
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:05 PM
I think playing that many tournaments is OK - if you've got her type of record ;)

Her Brandi-like schuedle of playing and winning lots of challengers is maybe good now but if she fails to do anything major on the tour in a year or two she'll end up has another junior who failed to live up to her talent :sad:

IMO playing over 100 matches is too much not 35 tournaments a year ;)

WorldWar24
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
IMO playing over 100 matches is too much not 35 tournaments a year ;)

I don't agree. I don't think people seem to realize how tiring travelling around can be. If she played 100 matches in 15 different places, I think it would still be better than playing 73 in 35 different locations. It wears down the mind and the physic, and it hurts the performances, and then it becomes a snowball coz you find yourself having to play more, and thus travelling more, to make up for the bad performances and bad results.It's crazy

matthias
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Of course that's true, but I don't see her going up the ranks this way.

On WTA level she sucks. Hardly any good wins. She can win challengers, she knows that already. Playing this week is absolutely useless.

If she keeps on playing challengers, she will probably remain in the 70's.

If she has bigger ambitions, she needs competition with top-100 players, as much as possible.
her problem is she sucks on Hardcourt
she is good on clay - but unfortunally many other players are good on clay too
i really like her, but i can´t see her higher ranked then between #30 and #50
i don´t think she will ever move inside the top30 or higher

TennisP
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
I saw that Megan Falcon is playing tennis again. She beat Varvara Lepchenko. I saw it at www.prizemoneytennis.com I guess she was out with a bad injury or something.

Is it true that she is also now part of the same guys squad who words with Meghann Shaughenssy and AL Groenfeld??

If yes, not bad for just two weeks back

damb...

DevilishAttitude
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Well she doesn't seem to be changing next year since she's commited to Hopman, Gold Coast and Auckland :rolleyes: :eek: