PDA

View Full Version : Optus Australian Fed Cup captain 2005 update

Mattographer
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Interest in the position of Optus Australian Fed Cup Captain has been strong following Evonne Goolagong Cawley's decision to step down after three years in the role.

Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard said 12 applications had been received for the high profile position. "I've never known so many candidates for the Fed Cup or Davis Cup captaincy," Mr Pollard said.

"It's great there's so much interest in further improving women's tennis, particularly with Alicia Molik's progress this year."

Those to have publicly confirmed their interest in the position include:

Former Optus Davis Cup captain John Newcombe.

Former Fed Cup representative Nicole Bradtke.

Queensland Academy of Sport head coach Geoff Masters.

Former world No.4 Dianne Balestrat.

The selection committee is comprised of Mr Pollard, selector Kerryn Pratt and two former players: Kristine Kunce and Annabel Ellwood.

The Optus Australian Fed Cup team plays its first round match in April next year in the zonal qualifying series held in New Dehli, India.

Competing at that event will be Chinese Taipei, China, Kazakhstan, India, Singapore, Korea and New Zealand.

Mr_Molik
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM
look at the competition :o y oh y oh y did we have to lose to thailand :mad:

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:47 AM
even if we bt Thailand, we wouldn't have been in the World Group I believe, there are only 8 countries in the World Group next year (not 16)

nitocris_tiger
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
If we beat Thailand we would have been playing in World Group II (9 to 16) as opposed to World Group I (1 to 8).

If we win the zonal qualifying in April 2005 we will then go through to a playoff tie in July 2005 against a 1r loser in World Group II to then qualify to play in World Group II in 2006.

Mattographer
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:47 AM
We don't need worry about other countries except China and maybe Korea depends on who will play.

Imagine that Na Li will part the team for China while the gold medallist pairs for the doubles event. We're going to kiss our girls a goodbye for sure! :o

Mr_Molik
Dec 2nd, 2004, 06:03 AM
china doesnt worry me if we have alicia on the team :cool:

broncosven
Dec 2nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
If we can get a full strength team we could beat most of the top countries

look at austria who made the semi's . . fair enough they had injuries but no big names played for them except Schett

Postcard
Dec 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11694573%255E23216,00.html

JOHN NEWCOMBE, Tony Roche and Mark Woodforde - a grand slam-winning trinity - have withdrawn from the race for the Fed Cup leadership...

The trio's decision leaves Nicole Bradtke a short-priced favourite to replace Goolagong. Bradtke is likely to be supported by former player Louise Field...
It is understood world No. 13 Alicia Molik and Wimbledon doubles champion Rennae Stubbs have plumbed strongly for Bradtke over fellow contenders, including Dianne Balestrat...

Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard, Fed Cup selector Kerryn Pratt and former players Annabel Ellwood and Kristine Kunce are on the selection panel to choose the new captain and coach...

nitocris_tiger
Dec 15th, 2004, 04:33 AM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11694573%255E23216,00.html
Just proves that Woodforde was the reason why Molly didn't play in Thailand and that the girls don't want him back.

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:36 AM
Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard, Fed Cup selector Kerryn Pratt and former players Annabel Ellwood and Kristine Kunce are on the selection panel to choose the new captain and coach...
mmmmm I wonder what great insights Kristine Kunce and Annabelle Ellwood can bring to applicants like Dianne Balestrat, Nicole Bradtke etc... Just as well Newk withdrew ;)

TS
Dec 23rd, 2004, 04:00 AM
:lol: My sentiments exactly. I imagine in 10 years time the likes of Cassandra Barr and Bianca Acquistapace will be on the selection panel too :p

I read an article on Di Balestrat a few weeks ago in the Herald Scum. Basically, she is sick and tired of always being overlooked for the captaincy. She said 'my record speaks for itself' and that even now at 40+ she can still beat up on some of the kiddies :lol: Which is true, as she had quite an imposing record at State Grade Pennant. She feels she could do a wonderful job but for some reason is constantly 'snubbed'.

Personally, I think she'd do a fine job...but it looks like Nicole Bradtke has this one in the bag.

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2004, 04:55 AM
:lol: My sentiments exactly. I imagine in 10 years time the likes of Cassandra Barr and Bianca Acquistapace will be on the selection panel too :p

I read an article on Di Balestrat a few weeks ago in the Herald Scum. Basically, she is sick and tired of always being overlooked for the captaincy. She said 'my record speaks for itself' and that even now at 40+ she can still beat up on some of the kiddies :lol: Which is true, as she had quite an imposing record at State Grade Pennant. She feels she could do a wonderful job but for some reason is constantly 'snubbed'.

Personally, I think she'd do a fine job...but it looks like Nicole Bradtke has this one in the bag.
Yes and the issue is that she really wants to do it too. Bradtke is favorite because she is mates with the Moliks and Stubbs and they can do as they pls with her.

How much coaching has Nicole done??? She's helped out with Molik - but that would be pretty easy to coach someone with a preparedness to work. Dianne is currently running a tennis coaching club in Moorabbin and therefore prepared to do the hard yards, not like others who want ride on the crest of Molik's wave.

I wonder with Nicoles two kiddies how much time can she devote. Fed Cup captaincy shouldn't be a three week job and the coaching side dumped onto someone else. The captain should be in charge not the coach - but last year it seemed Mark was pulling the strings. Will Louise Field be calling the shots??

Lets compare records as players. Nicole didn't reach the top 20, Dianne was no. 4. Dianne a slam finalist and many time qtrs/semi finalist and mixed it with the best - Evert, Martina, King, Austin. Nicole scrapped a win over Graf and as a teen nearlly got a French final.

Dianne was at her peak in her teens and early 20's and know's what it takes to compete at the highest level and during her time the competition was pretty tough.

But it seems it's a case for jobs for mates in this one.

AUSBOY
Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:42 AM
Don't knock Ellwood and Kunce, both were top 60 players, Kunce had some huge results in her time and got to 42 in the world.

You would hope that after the millions of dollars spent on Annabel with the AIS that she too would also have plenty of knowledge to justify her position

TS
Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM
Ausboy, you are far too predictable m'dear ;) I knew you would come back with a post detailing the illustrious expolits of Kunce and Ellwood, defending their virtue etc etc.

Yes, we are aware that they were past top 60 players.

I just find it quite comical when one compares their tennis history, to the history of the person they will be selecting. It's like a primary school student interviewing a uni graduate for a job. It just makes for harmless tennis message board chit chat, hence my above post :)

Postcard
Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11772880%255E23216,00.html

FRENCH Open semi-finalist Nicole Bradtke is today expected to be named Australia's new Fed Cup captain...

louloubelle
Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Ausboy, you are far too predictable m'dear ;) I knew you would come back with a post detailing the illustrious expolits of Kunce and Ellwood, defending their virtue etc etc.

Yes, we are aware that they were past top 60 players.

I just find it quite comical when one compares their tennis history, to the history of the person they will be selecting. It's like a primary school student interviewing a uni graduate for a job. It just makes for harmless tennis message board chit chat, hence my above post :)
Yes I can imagine the interview TS: ;)

Kristine: Dianne did I ever tell you I beat Martina Navratilova and was once ranked in the top 50?
Dianne: I actually beat her many times and was never ranked outside of the top 50 :rolleyes:

or Annabelle
Annabelle: I was actually Australia's best junior once just in case you didn't know.
Nicole: So f&^%ing what! And you were a s^&t doubles partner Kristine! :fiery:

Either way a bit of a laugh. Two top 60 players (for a fleeting moment), a TV commentator (once a decent junior but what can she add??) and a head administrator who has been bagged by all and sundry the last few weeks for his lack communication skills. Impressive panel to make this decision :rolleyes:

nitocris_tiger
Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Well you needn't bother with Nicole.. JA has the job! :eek:

http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/pages/default.aspx?id=4&PageID=1171

Gotta love those reliable news sources! :lol:

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :bolt:

Mattographer
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:45 PM
JA named 2005 Fed Cup captain

December 24, 2004

John ‘JA’ Alexander, who represented Australia in 41 matches over a span of 13 years, and reached a career high of World No.8 in singles, has been appointed as the new Captain of the Optus Australian Fed Cup team for the 2005 campaign. Alexander is the first male since Neale Fraser in 1978 to hold the captaincy of the women’s team.

A respected TV commentator and businessman, Alexander’s involvement in tennis has included chairing the Player Development Committee at Tennis Australia since 1994.

The youngest player ever to play Davis Cup for Australia, Alexander represented Australia in Davis Cup in 11 of the years from 1968 to 1980 including the epic 1977 final in which he defeated Italy’s Adriano Panatta 6-4, 4-6, 2-6, 8-6, 11-9, to give Australia the trophy for the 24th time.

A Grand Slam doubles champion, he won the Australian Open men’s doubles in 1975 partnering Phil Dent and 1982 with current Optus Australian Davis Cup Captain John Fitzgerald.

He was runner-up in the Wimbledon doubles in 1977 and French Open doubles in 1975.

Geoff Pollard, president of Tennis Australia, said, "John’s contribution to Australian Tennis over the years has been immense and today opens another chapter in that legacy.

"The panel were impressed with his strong management and leadership skills and his keen understanding of the Captain’s role from a player’s perspective.

"Over the years he has shown an unwavering commitment to representing his country and his experience in player development will be a real asset under our new structure at Tennis Australia which will now see our Fed Cup and Davis Cup captains playing a greater role in developing our next generation of young players."

Commenting on his appointment, John Alexander said, "We have a well balanced team to work with which combines the vast experience of Nicole (Pratt) with one of the top doubles players in the world in Rennae (Stubbs), and Sam (Stosur) who is beginning to realise her potential.

"Combine that with Alicia (Molik) doing so well over the past year and currently on the verge of breaking into the top 10 in the world, and it’s an exciting time to become a part of the Australian team.

"We have a great group of players to forge our way back into the World Group where we feel Australia belongs and this is a team that has the potential to beat any country in the world on their day."

The Optus Australian Fed Cup Team is scheduled to contest the Asia / Oceania Zone Group I round robin competition from 18-24 April 2005. The top two nations will advance to a World Group II play-off tie to be played 9-10 July, and have the chance to secure a place in the top 16 nations for the 2006 Fed Cup competition.

The appointment initially covers the 2005 Fed Cup campaign and replaces Evonne Goolagong Cawley who retired from the role in November after three years as Captain.

Fed Cup Captains in recent years:

Evonne Goolagong Cawley 2002-04

Lesley Bowrey 1994-2001

Wendy Turnbull – 1985-93

Judy Dalton - 1981-84

Mary Hawton – 1979-80

Neale Fraser – 1976-78

The selection committee comprised of Tennis Australia President Geoff Pollard, Fed Cup selector Kerryn Pratt and two former Fed Cup players in Kristine Kunce and Annabel Ellwood.

Mr_Molik
Dec 24th, 2004, 12:31 AM
good choice :clap2:

louloubelle
Dec 25th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Only time will tell with this one.

A bloke may have some benefit as he is likely not to take shit off the likes of Stubbs etc... JA certainly would've impressed in the interview - hope he committs fully to the job and provides some strong leadership the team needs.

AUSBOY
Dec 25th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Bout time they got a guy into the role, good decision girls :)