PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis returns!!!!!

IVI
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Former World No 1 Martina Hingis has just as big a heart off court as she had when she was on court during her illustrious tennis career.

Octagon announced today that Martina Hingis has agreed to play in the Volvo Women’s Open WTA Tour event in Pattaya next year to raise funds for a number of Thailand’s leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness. The organizations to be supported by Martina are the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth.

Martina said that; “While I am in Thailand, I am very much looking forward to spending time with those that benefit from the good work of the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth. I hope to raise awareness of the support needed for those who are less fortunate and living in impoverished conditions in Thailand and around the world.”

Martina was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization and during the year 2000 launched their “Match Point Against Polio” campaign. That same year, Martina traveled to Bogota, Colombia in support of the United Nations “Teams to End Poverty” campaign.

Martina has won 76 singles and doubles titles during her tennis career, including 14 Grand Slam titles and achieved many milestones along the way, as being the youngest ever player to reach No 1 in the world at the age of sixteen years and six months. She is also one of only five women players to have been ranked No 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, a feat which she achieved for 35 weeks between June, 1998 – March, 2000.

Martina will be playing her first WTA Tour event since Filderstadt in 2002. :hearts: :hearts:

Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Volvo Women’s Open stated that “We are very excited that Martina has chosen to play in Pattaya for the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth. These organizations are well-known and have very strong records in assisting deprived women and children in Thailand and we are confident that Martina’s support will help draw attention to their plight, and others in a similar position around the world.”

From http://www.pentanglepromotions.com/

AjdeNate!
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM
:bounce: Go Martina!!

Martian KC
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Holy crap!:eek: Hoppppp Martina!!!

bw2082
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:19 PM
:woohoo:

tom2791
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Yay! Go Martina!

Thanks so much for this article

Grohl
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
she also plays at the diamond games in antwerp

IVI
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Now let´s hope she decides to play more tournaments. Pattaya is a small tournament, she can win it if she is healthy!!!

tobe
WOW! HOPE IT IS TRUE!
Way to go Martina, come back and show the top players how to PLAY tennis

IVI
Yay! Go Martina!

Thanks so much for this article
It's a pleasure for me ;)

tobe
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM
But "Only" doubles, no?

alfajeffster
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:24 PM
This is terrific news indeed. When exactly is the tournament being held?

IVI
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:26 PM
This is terrific news indeed. When exactly is the tournament being held?
Pattaya Volvo women's open Tier 3. 31 January

propi
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:28 PM
:hearts:
The fact she comes back to a tennis court is already a victory for her :worship: :worship:

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Martina!!!!!!! :D :bounce: :inlove:

Tennisace
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I imagine she is going to play doubles only. If she were playing in the singles draw I think they would have mentioned it. Although this event will be rather weak given that its after the Australian Open and the same week as Tokyo.

Alvarillo
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:30 PM
January??? :hearts: :bounce: :hearts: :bolt: :aparty: :rocker2:

raquel
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I was never a huge fan of Martina when she was number 1 but miss her now she is gone. It would be good if she tried a full time comeback as she still could have many years of tennis in her. Hopp Martina!

IVI
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I imagine she is going to play doubles only. If she were playing in the singles draw I think they would have mentioned it. Although this event will be rather weak given that its after the Australian Open and the same week as Tokyo.
I think if she will play only doubles they wold have mentioned her partner.
Please Martina play singles!!!

TeamUSA#1
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Could this be the testing grounds for a full return to the tour??? GOD I HOPE SO!!! I think she could def. be top 10 again

vettipooh
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Best end of the year news!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Can't wait! Go Martina!!

tobe
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
and I remember her saying that she will never come back to the tour JUST for playing doubles like Navrat. did

propi
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:35 PM
I was never a huge fan of Martina when she was number 1 but miss her now she is gone. It would be good if she tried a full time comeback as she still could have many years of tennis in her. Hopp Martina!
Of course, Raquel, we know there's no other like Arantxa :p :p ;)

Spunky83
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:36 PM
This is good, this very good...I really wish she would come back on regular basis. I can´t wait to see how she will do.

My hopes are growing that she will be competing with the best players again...

Go Martina!!!

matija-seles
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
This is a great news!!! Martina please do your best! I still can't believe it.

harloo
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:42 PM
good news, but does anyone actually think Martina will make a full comeback from these few apperances? I don't think so considering the way the game has changed. I wonder if she has changed her serve to compete with the big babes? Hmm....?

Alvarillo
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Firts Zaragoza, now Pattaya, more matchs Martina !!!!

Whatzup
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Wow! I never expected this! Go Martina! :D

Pamela Shriver
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
.....Wonder if she needs a doubles partner.....

NicoMary
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Is It official:eek: ???? it would be a great news!!!:bounce:

TeamUSA#1
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:46 PM
She only retired a little over a year ago.... I dont think the game has changed that much. She will need to beef up her serve a little, but her serve never stopped her from winning against big servers like Venus and Davenport....

WTAaddict
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:47 PM
good news, but does anyone actually think Martina will make a full comeback from these few apperances? I don't think so considering the way the game has changed. I wonder if she has changed her serve to compete with the big babes? Hmm....?

:rolleyes:

Hayato
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Yay :D

Now, Aranxta can do the same! :hearts:

Go Martina!

WTAaddict
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Good News!!!!!!! I'm very happy for Martina!!!!!

She miss the tour terribly I guess.
Welcome back!!!!! I dont care wether you can compete to the top spot again or not, just get back first, thats the first step.

LUXXXAS
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Martian Willow
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
:)

Martian KC
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:54 PM
.....Wonder if she needs a doubles partner.....

:haha: You need to get back in shape quickly, dear!

Martian Willow
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:55 PM

That's an exhibition. :)

raquel
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Of course, Raquel, we know there's no other like Arantxa :p :p ;)
100% correct of course :p

ASV's 2005 doubles comeback is good enough for me :D

ASV playing doubles, Martina Hingis playing singles, Monica Seles coming back from injury, Lindsay Davenport's the world number 1, Serena looking dangerous, a blonde Russian teenager becomes the tour's biggest star - is it 1999 again? :lol:

^bibi^
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
oh god!!! i just can't believe it.. it's the best of my life!!! i'm almost crying!!!!!

Martina I love you!!!!!!

propi
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
*ahem* you forget healthy Conchi and Magui *ahem*
:p

CooCooCachoo
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Mase
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Ok Im confused and I think I know whats happening here but someone help me out...

So this isnt a exhibition, she is actually going to be playing Tier events again this year??? Sure I could have read all that above me but someone just break it down for me... :haha:

Thanks!

Tichi
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Hingis coming back would be great news, but what about her bad ankle that forced her to quit the game? Is it better now or did she had surgery or something?

Grachka
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Martina :hearts:

MisterQ
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:05 PM

ASV playing doubles, Martina Hingis playing singles, Monica Seles coming back from injury, Lindsay Davenport's the world number 1, Serena looking dangerous, a blonde Russian teenager becomes the tour's biggest star - is it 1999 again? :lol:

:lol: looks like it!

Hopefully Andre will win RG and the USO this year too... ;)

Ryan
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Wow!!! Thats amazing, I just hope that her body is up to the task. :D Kick ass Marti!! :D

Spunky83
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Ok Im confused and I think I know whats happening here but someone help me out...

So this isnt a exhibition, she is actually going to be playing Tier events again this year??? Sure I could have read all that above me but someone just break it down for me... :haha:

Thanks!

I think she´s going to play the regular tourney-schedule...wonder where she will be seeded :confused:

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
If she shows the WTA that she's really serious about returning, my guess is that she'll get a top 15 SSR/IPR.

lolas
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
:bounce: I can't discribe the way I'm feeling.

AjdeNate!
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Thanks!
Pattaya - Tier III, Jan 31st! :bounce:
"Real" WTA Event.

http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/logos/pattayacity.jpg

Martian Willow
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Thanks!

Event. <-singular.

jogoss_78
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
OMG I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mase
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Event. <-singular.
Thanks the whole pluralization thing always confused me in English.
Apprecaite it.

pierce0415
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I think she is probably just going to play in one exhibition match before the start of the tourne

didn't Anna do that once when she was Goodwill Ambassador?

ptkten
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:50 PM
omg please let this be a full comeback :bounce:

SzavayFi
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:56 PM
GOOD, MARTINA COMES BACK! MARTINA tell ur doubles partner to come back too!

tenn_ace
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Awesome! :worship:

Does anyone know who has committed to play this tournament?

Just can't wait to see who Martina teams up with...

alwayshingis
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:20 PM
I cannot explain my excitement!!!!!!!

There are no words!

aKaHaM
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:21 PM
so fucking great news!!! :banana:

jimbo mack
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:28 PM
This would be GREAT for women' tennis, i really hope she does play!!!!

Berlin_Calling
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:30 PM
hope she wins the whole thing and gets motivated :bounce:

Bezz
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:55 PM
GREAT NEWS, MARTINA WILL CLEAN UP! :devil: :bounce: :bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Viva Martina

jbone_0307
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Thats great!!! I think she has confidence now that the williams sisters are getting beat more often.

SzavayFi
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:57 PM
now its her doubles partner Annas turn!

JLDementieva
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:21 PM
wow, now is the perfect time for Martina to return, I can't wait to hear what she has to say about everything!

beauty_is_pink
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:23 PM
OMG YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:25 PM
I started really thinking she might come back at Wimbledon this year. Listening to her, it was obvious she wanted to make a return. I'm so happy right now, even hours after I first hear the news. :hearts:

PatM04
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Martina :bounce:

DevilishAttitude
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Martina :D :bounce:

Great for the tour she's returning :) I now realise how good for it she was even though I hated her for a while last time :rolleyes:

Wonder if she'll have a Capriati type comeback ;)

martirogi
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:36 PM
i wont be able to believe this or celebrate until the actual event, i dont want to get my hopes up

GoDominique
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Interesting news. Thanks.

Tripp
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:48 PM
:drool:

I'm glad to hear that she's healthy enough to get back on a tennis court.

korben
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:49 PM
:D :yeah:

AK-DH Fan
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Martina!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venus_Serena
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM
wow:eek: , very exciting news:bounce:

I wish her the best:D

radics
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Im from Switzerland and my newspaper said, its really, really only a return for this single event. The money will go to an organisation which help people in thailand. Sorry guys :(

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Im from Switzerland and my newspaper said, its really, really only a return for this single event. The money will go to an organisation wich help people in thailand. Sorry guys :( I find that hard to believe though. No one would be playing three exhibitions and tour tournament out of the goodness of their heart.

GoDominique
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I find that hard to believe though. No one would be playing three exhibitions and tour tournament out of the goodness of their heart.
MJ Fernandez did a similar thing. Wasn't it Pattaya as well?

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:12 PM
MJ Fernandez did a similar thing. Wasn't it Pattaya as well? I believe Shanghai. But, I just don't see Martina training and preparing like this for one tournament. And, two of these exhibitions are actually after Pattaya...

Martian Willow
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I believe Shanghai. But, I just don't see Martina training and preparing like this for one tournament. And, two of these exhibitions are actually after Pattaya...

I thought there were two exhibitions, the one in Spain in December and Antwerp? Did I miss something?

Greenout
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't get too excited If I were you. They always over
exaggerate her appearance. If it's for charity, it's a one off thing
and most likely doubles or a exhibition match within the tournament.

Veritas
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Former World No 1 Martina Hingis has just as big a heart off court as she had when she was on court during her illustrious tennis career.

Octagon announced today that Martina Hingis has agreed to play in the Volvo Women’s Open WTA Tour event in Pattaya next year to raise funds for a number of Thailand’s leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness. The organizations to be supported by Martina are the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth.

Martina said that; “While I am in Thailand, I am very much looking forward to spending time with those that benefit from the good work of the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth. I hope to raise awareness of the support needed for those who are less fortunate and living in impoverished conditions in Thailand and around the world.”

Martina was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization and during the year 2000 launched their “Match Point Against Polio” campaign. That same year, Martina traveled to Bogota, Colombia in support of the United Nations “Teams to End Poverty” campaign.

Martina has won 76 singles and doubles titles during her tennis career, including 14 Grand Slam titles and achieved many milestones along the way, as being the youngest ever player to reach No 1 in the world at the age of sixteen years and six months. She is also one of only five women players to have been ranked No 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, a feat which she achieved for 35 weeks between June, 1998 – March, 2000.

Martina will be playing her first WTA Tour event since Filderstadt in 2002. :hearts: :hearts:

Mr. Chaiyapak Siriwat, Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Volvo Women’s Open stated that “We are very excited that Martina has chosen to play in Pattaya for the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth. These organizations are well-known and have very strong records in assisting deprived women and children in Thailand and we are confident that Martina’s support will help draw attention to their plight, and others in a similar position around the world.”

From http://www.pentanglepromotions.com/

:eek:

This is great news! I never thought Martina would even attempt a comeback because she's already been away from the sport for about 2 years now.

I hope she does well enough to be convinced to make a permanent comback! It's an exhibition, but still, any match is better than none.

radics
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Here (http://de.bluewin.ch/news/index.php/sport/tennis/20041130:brz023) is the link to where i read it. It's in german and most of you will not be able to read it, but they've even asked Melanie Molitor (Martinas Mother) and she said, Martina will travel to Thailand but only to support a relief organization.

This does not mean, that im right, maybe she will really come back, but i think you should not count on it.

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Well, it says also that MM didn't know about what was going to happen with a WTA future, so who knows.

radics
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Well, it says also that MM didn't know about what was going to happen with a WTA future, so who knows.

I wish you're right!

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:24 PM
I wish you're right! From article:

"However, for a regular employment on the WTA route she knew nothing."

MaRKy MaRk
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:26 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SOOOOOOO HAPPY! Tennis hasn't been the same since she left, so this is great news. This has made my day!! :) Hopefully it's the start to a full return. That would be awesome.

Greenout
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Remember that the Thai organizers also said earlier this year
that a famour WIMBLEDON champions were to enter the Paradorn
Super Tour exhibition. All they really meant was a person who
made a big splash at WIMBLEDON, mainly Karoline Sprem- and
she's not even doing the exhibition event due to illness.

They over exaggerate things in the Thai media. If this were an
event in Japan or even an tournament in China, I would consider
it more seriously as a "comeback".

alwayshingis
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:37 PM

But aren't you at least excited for her to play matches again?

I sure am... :bounce: :bounce:

Greenout
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:39 PM
But aren't you at least excited for her to play matches again?

I sure am... :bounce: :bounce:

She played alot of clinics in Asia already. Japan, Bali...

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Go Martina :kiss:

fammmmedspin
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:57 PM
The WTA should pay Dulko not to play this one - she might get confused and end the comeback.

Good news indeed.

franny
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:02 AM
omg omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!!!!! I am crying right now!!!!!!!! The day has come!!!!!!! I cannot believe this, I have never been happier. My Martina will return!!!!!! Martina!!!!!!!!!! I never did change my profile and this is why!!! I love you Martina, I don't care what happens, just the chance to see pictures of you playing again, and just the chance to see you give tennis another chance is great enough for me!!! Martina!!!!

Hachiko
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:05 AM
Yay Martina!

clonesheep
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Just the fact that Martina is scheduled to play several events in the next 2 months is good news. That means she is feeling completely healthy now. If her ankle or whatever other injuries still bother her, she would not have made those commitments.

WorldWar24
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:20 AM
Martina Hingisova is BACK :toothy:

Babolatpro880
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:33 AM
The WTA should pay Dulko not to play this one - she might get confused and end the comeback.

Good news indeed.
?? Will Gisela be the top seed there? If so, I hope she'll win...

casanovalover
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:33 AM
definitely not conclusive that she is going to make a full return. i very much get the impression however that she is testing the waters to see how it feels. if she loses badly she can say it was a one off thing for charity and results didn't matter. if she's successful it may give her push to give it another go.

as someone said do find it strange that she would choose to compete in a tour event unless she was serious about training and winning. if she wasn't surely she'd just play an exhibition.

*roddicksinme*
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM
this is great....i hope she gets back on tour....it would be very interesting:D

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:24 AM
:rolleyes: It's just an exhibition match.

vogus
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM

your getting way ahead of yourself, I'm sure Hingis isn't going to play singles in the main Pattaya tournie. She probly will play doubles and maybe a singles exho. Seles is unlikely to come back, Davenport wont stay at #1 past the spring, Serena is a big question mark, and Sharapova is no comparison to Kournikova in terms of superstar appeal.

In short: 1999 is long gone...

Chunchun
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:57 AM
OMG Martina :woohoo: :bolt:

Best of luck!

vogus
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:01 AM
agree. I think that Hingis (like Kournikova) has lost her desire to compete - and once a tennis player loses that, it doesn't come back. A player can come back from a serious injury, but not from a fundamental lack of motivation. So when MH plays it is going to be just for appearance's sake, nothing too serious.

Bacardi
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:49 AM

:banana:

:bowdown:

:yippee:

MisterQ
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:52 AM
agree. I think that Hingis (like Kournikova) has lost her desire to compete - and once a tennis player loses that, it doesn't come back. A player can come back from a serious injury, but not from a fundamental lack of motivation. So when MH plays it is going to be just for appearance's sake, nothing too serious.

I think that in most cases you are right.

But there are probably exceptions, Andre Agassi being one of them.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM
GoDominique, MJ Fernandez did play Shanghai as a one off, but she was forced to do so by one of her sponsors. She had been retired for a year, but just had never announced it publicly.

I don't know if this is a one off for Martina, but she is going to at least try to comeback. Figure skater Sarah Hughes said Martina told her that she was planning to play exhibitions for about six months before deciding whether or not to completely return.

You have to think this is heading towards that. From needing a "medical miracle" back in August to several exhibitions set up just three months later?

Sam L
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:49 AM
I told you she'll back.

Martina!!! :bounce:

Miranda
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:55 AM
very happy for her fans :lol: :lol: :bounce: :bounce:

Sharapower
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
At least she considers a come-back it's a first step.

novotnaquinton
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:06 AM
It seems that a ton of people look forward to her comeback!!!:)
miss you so much Martina

oren987
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Is she going to play in the tournament? :confused: or just an exhibition match :confused:

jenny161185
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
Interesting,i would love as much as anyone else to see Martina back on tour but I just cant see it happening full time - though I would love her to win RG! IShe'd have to work her but off and I cant see her doing that and her ankles holding out

Timofy
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:53 AM
is she physcial capable to beat nowadays girls?.........thats my concern

Tennisfan-Mtl
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:01 AM
Martina :worship: :kiss: :worship:

I miss you sooooo very much ;)

alfonsojose
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Martina :bounce: :inlove:

virex
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
who else is scheduled to play this tournament?

The Guilty
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:32 PM
It's now on the wtatour site :D

Hingis Playing for First Time in Two Years

One of the game's most popular players and most cherished champions will compete in a WTA Tour event for the first time in more than two years this January.
Former World No.1 Martina Hingis has agreed to play in the Volvo Women’s Open WTA Tour event in Pattaya next year to raise funds for a number of Thailand’s leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness.

The organizations to be supported by Hingis are the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth.

“While I am in Thailand, I am very much looking forward to spending time with those that benefit from the good work of the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth," Hingis said. "I hope to raise awareness of the support needed for those who are less fortunate and living in impoverished conditions in Thailand and around the world.”

Hingis was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization and during the year 2000 launched their “Match Point Against Polio” campaign. That same year, Martina traveled to Bogota, Colombia in support of the United Nations “Teams to End Poverty” campaign.

Hingis has won 76 singles and doubles titles during her tennis career, including 14 Grand Slam titles and achieved many milestones along the way, as being the youngest ever player to reach No.1 in the world at the age of 16 years, 6 months. She is also one of only five women players to have been ranked No 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, a feat which she achieved for 35 weeks between June, 1998 – March, 2000.

Martina will be playing her first WTA Tour event since Filderstadt in 2002.

hablo
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM
Well, it's a start! Come on Hingis.

Vut
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:35 PM
I'm going to watch her match!!! :hearts::hearts:

barmaid
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:42 PM
is she physcial capable to beat nowadays girls?.........thats my concern
No, she isn't unfortunately, the feet still hurt:sad: however she has decided to do this for the charities mentioned above so while its disappointing news there will be no comeback:sad: , I applaud her desire and commitment to these worthy causes!:worship: :hearts: :kiss:

barmaid:wavey:

Vut
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM
Tier 3 isn't bad for her comeback !! :D

ChrisGermany
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:08 PM
It´s said though on Yahoo.de it´s a single step out of retirement, not more. Charity.

HTE
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:14 PM
Awesome! I really hope she will able to make a successfull comeback even if it's only part-time. :)
Go Martina :yeah:

Vamos Feńa
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
Welcome back Martina :worship: :D

Brandon85
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM
maybe this will lead to her playing more and more!

watrat
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Whatever result she'll make there, it won't matter to me. I'm just glad to see her back on the court, if only once more.

Hja, i'm lying. I want her to win that tournament and compete with the best !!!

Jeff
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM
Martina....:D....OMG this is great :woohoo:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:01 PM
No, she isn't unfortunately, the feet still hurt:sad: however she has decided to do this for the charities mentioned above so while its disappointing news there will be no comeback:sad: , I applaud her desire and commitment to these worthy causes!:worship: :hearts: :kiss:

barmaid:wavey:
You have to think it's a step in the right direction though. She said just earlier this year if she played for two hours in one day, she could barely walk the next day. The fact she now believes she is capable of playing five competitive matches in a week is a step in the right direction.

I could see her pulling a Tracy Austin in 4 or 5 years time and play on the tour for a full year with limited success before calling it quits...but she'll feel a lot better about walking away just like Tracy did after her attempt.

Jeleno Benesovo
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM
Great News :bounce: I know she is not going to comeback really. anyway to see Martina on courts again will be great! :)
In addition Martina once again have shown her big heart doing this exhibition for charity :kiss:
well done Marti :)

ys
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
I am quite convinced that it is not just a "charity" tournament for her.. It is a testing ground for her and she talks about it being a one-off event only not to put herself under more of a pressure from people's expectations.. I am sure that if Pattaya is a success for her , she might be eventually back for real..

jamesuk
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Last WImbledon I read an article with Britian's "TOP" player Anne Keovatong or whatever, and she was talking about having played with MArtina in some tennis camp with lots of other current players. Anne said that MArtina was still in great shape, and whipped all their arses. Which said alot for both the British girls at the moment, and, of course, MArtina's game. She can't have gotten THAT rusty if she can beat "top" players, even if it IS in a practice environment.
A return even to just doubles would be great to see.

Amorc
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:08 PM

Martian KC
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM
It's now on the wtatour site :D

Hingis Playing for First Time in Two Years

One of the game's most popular players and most cherished champions will compete in a WTA Tour event for the first time in more than two years this January.
Former World No.1 Martina Hingis has agreed to play in the Volvo Women’s Open WTA Tour event in Pattaya next year to raise funds for a number of Thailand’s leading non-profit organizations, which help women and children in Thailand who have suffered from abuse, deprivation, homelessness and illness.

The organizations to be supported by Hingis are the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth.

“While I am in Thailand, I am very much looking forward to spending time with those that benefit from the good work of the Pavena Foundation, The Father Ray Foundation, Foundation for the Better Life of Children and the Suthasinee-Noiin Foundation for Children and Youth," Hingis said. "I hope to raise awareness of the support needed for those who are less fortunate and living in impoverished conditions in Thailand and around the world.”

Hingis was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the World Health Organization and during the year 2000 launched their “Match Point Against Polio” campaign. That same year, Martina traveled to Bogota, Colombia in support of the United Nations “Teams to End Poverty” campaign.

Hingis has won 76 singles and doubles titles during her tennis career, including 14 Grand Slam titles and achieved many milestones along the way, as being the youngest ever player to reach No.1 in the world at the age of 16 years, 6 months. She is also one of only five women players to have been ranked No 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, a feat which she achieved for 35 weeks between June, 1998 – March, 2000.

Martina will be playing her first WTA Tour event since Filderstadt in 2002.

:drool:

~K.BreakAway.C~
Dec 1st, 2004, 11:36 PM
holy crap! so this is an actual tourney, not just an exo? I never thought Martina would come back to the tour (I have only read the first page of this so far, so sorry if this post is irrelevent)

Lucy
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:03 AM
i never thought she'd come back.. I'm glad she's coming back!
I miss her:aparty:

Rafe306
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:56 AM
Hingis Is Back Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love You!!!

Dawn Marie
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:14 AM
I always knew she would come back. I never really thought it was so much her ankle as it was her mental capacity. This tourney is more for her confidence on the WTA tour then it is for her testing out that ankle. This is my opinion.:)

She was burnt out, and she knows that if she wants to comeback that it had to sooner then later.

Congrats Martina on coming back and willing to compete again.:)

JennyS
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
I've had a hunch that she was going to come back in 2005. Her return sounds verrry similar to Jen's in 1996's (although Jen did play one event in 1995). Maybe Martina will have a similar comeback and get back to the top of the women's game. I wouldn't be too shocked.

Vincent
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
Oh my god, I always have faith in her. Martinaland is still a nice place to live in! ;) :woohoo: