PDA

View Full Version : Can Tatiana Golovin win a slam in 2005 like Maria did in 2004?

Old_Folk
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Maria ended 2002 ranked 188, 2003 ranked #32, and a year later, she won Wimbledon and YEC. Maria broke into top 20 in May then won Wimbledon to break into top 10, and eventually became #4 after winning YEC going into the event as #4 in the world.

Tatiana ended 2004 ranked #27, going from 355 from previous year.
She also has a few top wins already including one against US Open winner Svetalena in Fed Cup. The record is even more impressive than Maria's 2003 record.
With better prospect than when Maria started 2004, can she win a slam in 2005?

Whatzup
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I don't think that she will win a slam next year.. she should be happy if she can win a tournament! She's a very good (and hot :hearts: ) player but I don't think she will become a slam winner or a top 5 players very soon! First she has to defend her points from this year and trying to reach the top 15, maybe the top 10! :D

Dave B
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Maria ended 2002 ranked 188, 2003 ranked #32, and a year later, she won Wimbledon and YEC. Maria broke into top 20 in May then won Wimbledon to break into top 10, and eventually became #4 after winning YEC going into the event as #4 in the world.

Tatiana ended 2004 ranked #27, going from 355 from previous year.
She also has a few top wins already including one against US Open winner Svetalena in Fed Cup. The record is even more impressive than Maria's 2003 record.
With better prospect than when Maria started 2004, can she win a slam in 2005?

Climbing the rankings is one thing, and it is really impressive when players do it. But winning a slam is another, and it is rare that even someone with that impressive of break through can continue the momentum and win a slam before really reachingthe top ten.

Tylane
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I'd like but I don't think so.

tom2791
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Who knows? I hope so though!

Martian KC
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:25 PM
If she had the same fortune.

vertigo
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:00 PM
No Grandslam. She'll be moving up the rankings and will hopefully score some good wins over top players like she proved she is able to do in Fed Cup. Although how important her win over a clearly tired Svetlana in a Fed cup situation is debatable but nonetheless, if she has the confidence, she could get some good wins in 2005.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:26 PM
If she had the same fortune.True. As Maria's success proved, the better player doesn't always play well and anyone can win a slam if in the right place at the right time. Besides being on a faster track than Maria at the same age, Tatiana also has another thing over Maria; a more entertaining personality. Just the fact that she's 16 and yet to win a title but the board is already talking about her says a lot. She's got that same quality Anna had, that's the ability to find a way to draw attention to herself without winning titles.

Becool
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Don't think so..

saki
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:33 PM
It's not out of the question. After all, she took Maria to three sets on grass the week before Wimbledon which was a better performance against her than Serena gave! I have to say that I think it's rather unlikely, though. As a fan of hers, my hope for her next year is that she get up into the top 15 and starts winning tournaments.

mashenka best 1
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:59 PM
she may have had her baptism of fire in fed cup final

i like the looks of this frenchie chick

she may go far

but hey... 2 early 2 call

Andy.
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I dont think so not yet. Maria has that huge hunger and fight that allowed her to suprise everyone and win Wimbledon. Tatiana an win slams but not yet maybe in 2 to 3 years.

JLDementieva
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:20 PM
She might win a Slam in the future, but definitely not next year.

Volcana
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:22 PM
With better prospect than when Maria started 2004, can she win a slam in 2005?If enough of the injured stay injured, and the refereeing continues as it has, sure.

beauty_is_pink
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
give Tati a few more years to develop mentally, but she sure can win one!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I highly doubt it. Golovin shouldn't be compared to Sharapova.

~CANUCK~
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:49 PM
If the draw falls apart around her, why not. Anyone can win a slam, with some luck on their side. But if she wants to do it the hard way by beating top 10s she will need a few more years.

améliemomo
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
I said YES because NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE (ADIDAS commercial :cool: )

No seriously, tatiana is a really good player and she can produce a very efficient and strong tennis against the best.
Example in fed cup.

SHE Will improve some things and come back with a lot of motivation to progress in the Tour and why not win a grand slam ;)

Allez TATI!!!!!!!!!

mashenka best 1
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:23 PM
and then may I say allez amelie...

(nice bit of alliteration)

and c'mon masha! 2005 > 2004

(not just a wing and a prayer)

jimbo mack
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
anything's possible in women's tennis nowadays!

AlexB
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:54 PM
no in 2005 but she has the potential in a few years

SM
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:01 AM
one day she might but next year maybe a bit too soon

GoDominique
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
I voted "She won't win a slam" but I don't think it's impossible.

brunof
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:12 AM
I really wasn't all that impressed when I saw her on TV playing Serena at Wimbledon. Does she have a big enough weapon? She certainly isn't yet physically as imposing as Maria was at 16. So, until she grows into her game a bit more, I don't see her winning a slam any time really soon. One thing is certain, her "short-shorts" will probably continue to throw me in 2005.

10nisfanofruz
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:33 AM
Tati has the potential to win GS but she also has to be lucky.
In 2005, it surely get tougher when everyone is ready to play and has the desire to win. The competition between the russian girls will be more tense.
It is very interesting to see what will happen next year.

GOOD LUCK Tati :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:36 AM
Anybody can not win a Slam. As can be proved from the limited list of slam winners in the five years so far this century...

*Lindsay Davenport
*Mary Pierce
*Venus Williams
*Jennifer Capriati
*Serena Williams
*Justine Henin Hardenne
*Anastasia Myskina
*Maria Sharapova
*Svetlana Kuznetsova.

That's it. It takes a lot more than luck to win seven consecutive matches over the World's best in a two week period.

Disgruntled Williams supporters aside, it boils down to a question of whether Tati has the weapons and the consistency to perform this feat. I agree with those who say she has to develop a stronger primary weapon and win a Tour tournament or two before she can be considered a potential slam winner.

We'll hopefully see if she can do that in 2005.

bandabou
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:46 AM
Disgruntled Williams-fans aside, Doc? :haha: :rolls: Show me them....I don´t see any...

Crazy Canuck
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
Doc:

It takes a lot more than luck to win seven consecutive matches over the World's best in a two week period.

REALLY? Does it REALLY? Because this counters just about any comment that you've ever made about Myskina winning the French :retard:

Chunchun
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Tati will win slam, but not in 2005 ;)

msmsed
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:12 AM
nope dont think so becuz next year all the winners of grand slams will be russian :)

pla
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:24 AM
I think she needs a bit more time to develop her game. The problem is, she doesn't have the power of Maria and can't overpower her opponents while in a "bad" day. So she has to develop a strategy in order to handle her more powerful opponents during the looong Slam draws.

She can win a slam, but I will be very surprised if she do it in 2005. Anyways, I wish her all the best during that year :) .

Dava
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:40 AM
Shes good but not that good.

Sharapower
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:45 AM
nope dont think so becuz next year all the winners of grand slams will be russian :)
Tati is Russian, at least genetically, lol.

To be serious, I think Tatiana Golovin has the game to be a top player and she's precocious so she has a bright carreer in front of her.

About winning a slam, in 2005, considering how deep is the field, it would take a lot of luck (draw, etc.) ; in her own carreer she can win some, but there's always an issue with french mentality vs. winning a slam (Amelie herself said frenchies lack of killer instinct). Now Tati has russian origins and is "americanized" so why not ?

jenny161185
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:33 AM
Ive never seen her play before but have heard so much about her especially from this Board so AM LOOKING forward to seeing her in action

Lemonskin.
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't think she would win a GS, but I also wouldn't have picked Masha to win 2 majors at the start of the year!!! So who knows?

jrm
Dec 1st, 2004, 10:21 AM
She will never win a slam ... where do you people live? I sometimes wonder do any of you watch tennis at all?

Experimentee
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM
She wont win a Slam. For that she would need to develop more weapons fast, which is highly unlikely.

bandabou
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
Doc:

REALLY? Does it REALLY? Because this counters just about any comment that you've ever made about Myskina winning the French :retard:

Uhmmm........should by know: Unless your name is Maria Sharapova, you always are gonna be lucky to win a major....Only Maria S wins based just on skill....;)

Ravsieg
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:40 PM
Bit too soon. From 2 years time I'll believe so.

améliemomo
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM
Tati is Russian, at least genetically, lol.

To be serious, I think Tatiana Golovin has the game to be a top player and she's precocious so she has a bright carreer in front of her.

About winning a slam, in 2005, considering how deep is the field, it would take a lot of luck (draw, etc.) ; in her own carreer she can win some, but there's always an issue with french mentality vs. winning a slam (Amelie herself said frenchies lack of killer instinct). Now Tati has russian origins and is "americanized" so why not ?

I dont see why being russian or american gives a certain capacity of win :rolleyes:
justin henin is belgian and won GS, she trained in her country and came in france to play tournaments.
Many french played finals but unfortunetly lost them but always against GREAT players
For example: Cedric Pioline 1996 wimbledon against Sampras
Arnaud Clement 2000 australian open against Agassi
Amélie Mauresmo 1999 australian open against hingis

I dont think that you can compare those chamions with dementieva for myskina (french open) dementieva against kusnetsova(US Open) and sharapova against a not brilliant serena :rolleyes:

so we cant say that. :o

mboyle
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
not enough power.

Tennis_Lover
Dec 14th, 2004, 12:23 AM
I think she can.

Philip
Dec 14th, 2004, 12:31 AM
i bet she'll win the aussie open now.

Geisha
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:22 AM
I like Maria & Tatiana, but Maria's game is more dominant. When she gets hot, it's easier for her to win against top players than it would be for Tatiana- who is like a Martina Hingis back in 1999.

exoneuk
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Well, the only other comparison that you can make is that Maria got to the last 16 at Wimbledon the first year she played there, Tatiana got to the last 16 at her first attempt at Australian Open. Maria followed this Last 16 place by winning Wimby this year.

Therefore, Tatiana will win the Australian Open ;) Wishful thinking mainly... and it would be damn freaky in that sense if she did that but good luck to her! She can probably win one but probably not this year. But hey, this year was sometimes surprising so let's see if the trend continues!

Yum!

go hingis
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Lol, I'll tell you once the draws come out, you never know who will be playing and who won't be. Good draw she has a chance.

LeRoy.
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:43 AM
not enough power.
AGREE:)

HotSpot
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Iam glad if happened......... but..., well you now...?!1

Tennis_Lover
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Well, the only other comparison that you can make is that Maria got to the last 16 at Wimbledon the first year she played there, Tatiana got to the last 16 at her first attempt at Australian Open. Maria followed this Last 16 place by winning Wimby this year.

Therefore, Tatiana will win the Australian Open ;) Wishful thinking mainly... and it would be damn freaky in that sense if she did that but good luck to her! She can probably win one but probably not this year. But hey, this year was sometimes surprising so let's see if the trend continues!

Yum!
Wow that's intersting? Martina Hingis won her first slam in Australia too, for the poster who compared Tatiana with Martina.

greenfunkTHREE.
Dec 15th, 2004, 08:38 AM
dont bad repp me please. but i think. i'd like to see her win one. but i have doubts..maybe the year after the next.

A*THE pain W*Y*N
Oct 25th, 2005, 06:40 PM
yeah golovin just not in the top flight

she certainly turns the heads tho

GO GO

vin ..... E..... Yard :kiss: