PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk seriously: Alicia's chances at the Aus Open

Lemonskin.
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Man, the Aussie press are gonna hype up a storm when it comes around to Australian Open time. Not for many many years have we had a male and a femlae player with any sort of shot at our home Grand Slam.

I want peoples SERIOUS opinions, how do you think Alicia will go at the Aussie Open? She's good on hardcourts but I don't know much about this "Rebound Ace" surface. How will her game work on this surface? I know she got to the 4th round here last year, taking Momo to two close sets in the 4th round but ultimately falling 7-5 7-5.

broncosven
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Would love to see her go deep into the Slam and a would say a possible QF or SF isnt out of the question . . whether she plays well, the conditions and the draw she receives are huge factors obvioulsy

Guess well have to wait and see . . . . GOOD LUCK !!

xr6turbo
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Well Rebound Ace is slower than the hardcourts that are used at the USO.. So that can work in Alicia's favour because she isnt the best mover, although she has improved alot in that area. She will have to serve well in all her matches because that is her biggest weapon.

Her game is pretty solid but her backhand is a bit suspect sometimes. I think if she can serve well and her ground strokes solid, she will get to at least the 4th round.. Maybe even the quarters.. Her high ranking will hopefully ensure that she has an easier draw in the opening rounds.

Cuckoo
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Shown that she can live up to her Home Crowd, 4th Round/QF Round defintly within her reach and ability, anything above is a great bonus!

Daniel
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM
she will reach the 4th round and if lucky the QF, but still dont think she can win the whole thing.

Spunky83
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
She has a good shot to reach at least the QF next year. I donīt know if Rebound Ace is really working for her. She is not the fastest person thatīs right, but her game depends a lot on her powerful shots (esp. serve) and those are not really effective on a slow surface...I mean Rebound Ace, is it more like the fastest clay court or more like the slowest deco turf (US hardcourts)? Besides is the balls bounce even slower due to the hot australian weather...

Andy.
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
To be honest i think a forth round is about where she is at in terms of being a player but i think she could make the quarter finals if she plays at a high level when it counts. She is a very talented player but there are some extraudinary players ranked ahead of her who will be hard to beat to get far in the tournament. So i think 4th round most likely but if she plays well maybe a quarter final.

Mr_Molik
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM
alicia will have a top 16 seeding so i think she will definitely make the 4th rd, then it really depends on her form and draw

Lemonskin.
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Alicia always lifts her game and gives a good account of herself when there's some sort of national pride on the line. I think she'll go as far as her game will let her. :D

Mr_Molik
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
btw i personally think she will win the title :D

skanky~skanketta
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
she had an exceptional rebound ace season this year, playing really well even at the hopman cup.

anyway, she shouldnt have trouble getting to the 4th round. if she gets a player like dementieva (i.e unpreditictabe to awful days), she could make the quarters. and if she faces someone like momo, or sharapova in the QF, she may have a decent shot at the semis.

still, she has to be playing well herself. hopefully she can carry her current form to the AO. with a favourable draw, she could go far. we all know she can take out a few top tenners (sharapova, momo and myskina. all three in the top 5!)

jrm
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Not beyond 4th round

^bibi^
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I think this year is her best chance as she's been in such agood shape for the past few months...

Experimentee
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I dont think she will win, probably 4th rd-QF. Shes not at the level of the top players yet, and she needs to beat them to win. She does play well on rebound ace, it was actually where she started her good form, at the Hopman Cup.

vutt
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:31 PM
yep, I'll go with main stream - 4th round

saki
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Depends on her draw and on her form at the time. At best, I think she could make the SF, she might well make the QF, and she'll almost certainly make the fourth round.

Doc
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Depending on who she meets (assuming she reaches the 4th Round), I would hope for her to reach at least the Quarters on her end-of-year form. It depends a lot on who shows up - and in what state of health and match-fitness. If Serena, Justine, Kim, and Lindsay are there on top form, Alicia obviously has less chance. The Russians are also a major obstacle.

If Alicia plays well, has a good draw, and doesn't succumb to nerves, she could do it. It certainly isn't impossible. Overall chance - about 15%

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:54 PM
4th-qf......I think thatīd about it. After that there will probably be a Lindsay, a Serena, a Maria, a Sveta waiting...and I donīt think Alicia is ready yet to beat those kind of players..although she seems to play well against Maria, so maybe....

Doraemon
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'd love to see her win the Australian Open. She deserves it. Given Aus hasn't had a cham of her own for so long, I'd be very happy for the Aussies if she won it.

Doc
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Bandy can't resist another little knock against Maria... <sigh>

Alicia can give ANYONE a good match on her day.

hablo
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I don't think she will win.

Go Momo go!!! Go Nastya go ! Go Kim go! ;) :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Why is it a knock, doc? Of all the players in the top 10, Alicia has played Maria the closest....even beating her. This is a fact, isnīt it? :shrug:

pigam
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:13 PM
She is one of those players the absolute top wouldn't want in their part of the draw in the first rounds.
You can compare her a bit with Zuluaga, no? Big serve, good groundstrokes, not thāt fast and streaky. Zuluaga reached the semis last year, so with a bit of luck maybe, AZlicia can do the same :yeah:

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Why is it a knock, doc? Of all the players in the top 10, Alicia has played Maria the closest....even beating her. This is a fact, isnīt it? :shrug:
They Played IN THE FINAl of ZURICH(TIER 1)
Which Went 3 TOUGH SETS!
despite Maria havin a shoulder problem(Early 3rd SET) the match was VEry good

IN ADvanta
Maria Got Her REVENGE DEfeatin her in 3 TOugh SETS
We'll SEE THE NEXT TIME THey Play
I love their MATCHES! Full of DRAMA & Long Rallies!!!!!!!!!!!
GO ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone has a CHANCE of WINNIN the AUSTRALIAN

DEPENDS ON THE DRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

DevilishAttitude
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Alicia should reach 4th Round but I'd be very surprised if she went past the QF's

She needs to still improve more to be a genuine threat IMO :)

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:34 PM
They Played IN THE FINAl of ZURICH(TIER 1)
Which Went 3 TOUGH SETS!
despite Maria havin a shoulder problem(Early 3rd SET) the match was VEry good

IN ADvanta
Maria Got Her REVENGE DEfeatin her in 3 TOugh SETS
We'll SEE THE NEXT TIME THey Play
I love their MATCHES! Full of DRAMA & Long Rallies!!!!!!!!!!!
GO ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone has a CHANCE of WINNIN the AUSTRALIAN

DEPENDS ON THE DRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Indeed....their matches were/ are great.

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:36 PM
By the Way
THATS NOT A FACT
ALICIA HAS DEFEATED a Top 10 Myskina & AMELIE THIS YEAR!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also ALICIA HAD chances to DEFEAT MYSKINA in the 1st Round
FRENCH OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leadin a SET & a BREAK but BLEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
POOR ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :mad:

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
By the Way
THATS NOT A FACT
ALICIA HAS DEFEATED a Top 10 Myskina & AMELIE THIS YEAR!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also ALICIA HAD chances to DEFEAT MYSKINA in the 1st Round
FRENCH OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leadin a SET & a BREAK but BLEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
POOR ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :mad:

Well, well...Alicia sure carries a punch!

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Well, well...Alicia sure carries a punch!
OF COURSE SHE CARRIES a PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!111 :lol:
THIS OFFSEASON HOpefully she's workin On her Movement &
FOOTWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHE CAN Cause SERIOUS DAMAged at THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Good LUck to U ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

loveactually
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I don't think she can make it either.

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM
OF COURSE SHE CARRIES a PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!111 :lol:
THIS OFFSEASON HOpefully she's workin On her Movement &
FOOTWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHE CAN Cause SERIOUS DAMAged at THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Good LUck to U ALICIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/COLOR] :D

Nice, nice.....

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Nice, nice.....
INDEED!!!!!!!!!!! VEry NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stamp Paid
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:45 PM
With a good draw, the 3rd round is not out of the question.

Old_Folk
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Round of 16, she will probably melt under the pressure when facing higher seed.

Lemonskin.
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Round of 16, she will probably melt under the pressure when facing higher seed.
I think she handles pressure situations very well. A lot better than many of the other girls on the tour.

Grohl
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:11 PM
good luck alicia

JeDetesteJustine
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Although I'd love for her to win it, I don't think she ever will. I know thats an extreme statement, but she is not really young for tennis, and I'm not convinced she is consistent. I think her two tittles in a row was luck and good play. If she was so consistent, she wouldn't have lost any other tournament.

clonesheep
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:27 AM
There's too much pressure on Molik already so I am not betting on her. I'm afraid the Aussie Open will be won by someone under the radar. The Russians are too busy fighting each other. The Maria-Serena rivaly will be hyped but might not materialize. Clijsters vs. Golovin is good tabloid material but not tennis-worthy. The so-called No.1 and No.2 (Lindsay and Amelie) will disappoint at slams as usual. That leaves Justine. I say go Justine!

casanovalover
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:40 AM
who knows. she has the ability to beat most players but i can't see her winning a GS yet. she often relies on very poor performances from her opposition when she beats the top players IMO.

she has a lot of game but i think it would require a gift of a draw for her to have any real shot at the title. it's probably the slam she is most likely to win though.

casanovalover
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:44 AM
she still needs to prove herself in slams as well.

this year she had like 4th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd. i know she lost 3 times to high quality opponents but the fact is she still has only been to the last 16 once.

WorldWar24
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:46 AM
There are too many variables at the moment. She could well be upset very early if she doesn't overcome thr pressure, or if she draws one of the wonder kids. Remember she used to beat Hantuchova in all ways imaginable, crushing her easily or coming back from being down, winning like 10 games in a row, and then lost to Hantuhcova at the Usopen, in the first match between the 2 where Alicia was the seeded player, and favourite to win? On the other hand, she's good enough to reach the QFs or maybe farther, if she plays well. It's tough to tell right now, and it doesn't make any sense predicting tournaments before we have the draws, expecially at a time when the tour is so competitive and unpredictable

Give me the draw and then we'll talk

Volcana
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:59 AM
She'll need some help from the draw.

PointBlank
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:58 AM
People act like she cant beat the top..She beat some this year..very end actually

firefly_ac
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:23 AM
let see shall we...

Prizeidiot
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:49 AM
I'll say this without bias: I rate her as a darkhorse for the Open.

She has the game to do it, big serve, big forehand, big backhand on her day, better volleys than other serious women's contenders. Great athleticism, though court speed isn't that flash, but its bettter than Lindsay's and she's number one. And I doubt the courts will throw her off too much, rebound ace means, her having the only decent kicking serve out of the top women, her second serve will be pretty heavy, making her a tough player to break.

There is no question over her ability on her day, but there lies the problem: consistency. She can play great, or play miserably, and I seriously question her ability to keep her game up for 2 weeks straight.

Nevertheless, her chance is there, however slim it may be

Lemonskin.
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:27 AM
I like that observation :yeah: