PDA

View Full Version : when your favorites face off...

FaceyFacem
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
how do you decide who will you cheer for? or when your least favorites face off?

for me, when it came to the players i disliked, there was a total hierarchy: i always cheered for monica only when she faced the williams' and serena only when she faced venus, and novotna only when she faced either of the three i named, etc. etc.

when it came to favorite players, though, i always have to take the circumstances, like sometimes i'd go for arantxa over anna, sometimes i'd reverse it, and depending i'd want lleyton or juan carlos, so, i always had a set cheering pattern for the least favorites, but it varied with the players i liked
anyone else?

PointBlank
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:17 PM
When Vera vs. Anna play..it scares me..always long matches..

Sonja
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:19 PM
If my favs are on equal status I cheer for both and respond to good play in general.

For instance, I like both Justine and Kim and root for both of them when they're playing each other on tv. Everyone around me thinks I've gone nuts because they'll hear "ohhhh good shot Justine" "OMG Kim, great get", etc. :p

FaceyFacem
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:20 PM
haha sonja, i would too! but i guess i know what you mean

SzavayFi
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Haha, well umm, If any of my faves play my ultimate fav Daniela Hantuchova, i go for Daniela. Say like Chanda and Patty face off....its usually who i feel like rootin for at that certain time.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:06 PM
when two of my favs face off, i just like to see a good match with the best player winning, or sometimes, i cheer for a certain player depending on the situation. when two players i dont like play, i really dont give a shit about the match.

tennislover
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Usually I don't root for players, I like rooting against players......

beauty_is_pink
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:21 PM
always always Daniela first. always.

I hate it when Nastya and LenaD plays, but recently I've been hoping Lena would win at least one important match against Nastya, it's about time.

UDiTY
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:36 PM
When Venus and Serena played in 2000, I wanted to the player who was most likely to win the tournament to win. Like at Wimbledon SF I wanted Serena to win because Venus didn't have a good record against Lindsay at that time.

Now, Venus all the way. Serena beat her too many times in big matches.

I can't pick between Justina and Anastasia...I just hope it's a good match.

I actually wanted Nastya to beat Serena at the YEC this year tho:tape:

Spunky83
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I can't pick between Justina and Anastasia...I just hope it's a good match.

Last four encounters:

2003 Leipzig: Myskina def. Henin-Hardenne 3-6 6-3 6-3
2003 YEC: Henin-Hardenne def. Myskina 7-5 5-7 7-5
2004 Indian Wells: Henin-Hardenne def. Myskina 6-1 6-1
2004 Olympics : 7-5 5-7 8-6

Well, not counting Indian Wells, it was always very nice, frustrating, sad, brilliant, wonderful and very disappointing at once! But still I am already waiting impatiently for the next match-up...AusOpen: 7-6 6-7 10-8? When my two faves face each other it always totally freaks me out :bounce:...I just wished Nastya would stop choking against Justine;)...great fun!

deep bass
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Aarrrgghhh! It's a nightmare when my faves face off. Whomever plays best I want to win initially, then I want the other to win, and so on! I'm so fickle.

FaceyFacem
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Usually I don't root for players, I like rooting against players......

awesome

Junex
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Against anyone, I will alwasy cheer for Justine!
the rest, well, i always go for the underdog, or of whoever really needs the win.
Like when it was Nastya against Elena @ YEC, even i like Elena more like she is my #3 & Nastya my #4, I cheered & rooted for Nastya.

after that the world stops for me a bit.

JLDementieva
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Well I like Elena moree than Nastya, but it depends on the context I guess. I didn't really care who won in the FO final, but after that I kind of hoped that Lena would win the Kremlin against Nastya. Then the YEC, I wanted Nastya to win because then she can move into the semifinals.

jdog3008
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:32 AM
I always cheer for Maria over Serena and Venus. Always Serena over Venus.
With my hated players, I do the same.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:25 AM
i have very few favs on equal status lol
i have a hierarchy
1 lee-waters
2 ospina
3 snyder
4 irvn
5 dabek
lalala

when they play each other i just dont mind as much if one loses, thats all ;)

PatM04
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:28 AM
i have very few favs on equal status lol
i have a hierarchy
1 lee-waters
2 ospina
3 snyder
4 irvn
5 dabek
lalala

when they play each other i just dont mind as much if one loses, thats all ;)Good list there LWB:)

TennisTutor
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:32 AM
how do you decide who will you cheer for? or when your least favorites face off?

for me, when it came to the players i disliked, there was a total hierarchy: i always cheered for monica only when she faced the williams' and serena only when she faced venus, and novotna only when she faced either of the three i named, etc. etc.

when it came to favorite players, though, i always have to take the circumstances, like sometimes i'd go for arantxa over anna, sometimes i'd reverse it, and depending i'd want lleyton or juan carlos, so, i always had a set cheering pattern for the least favorites, but it varied with the players i liked
anyone else?

who ever has the best looking legs. :lol:

kiwifan
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:45 AM
In Slams I cheer for my fave who's most likely to win the whole thing. :angel:

In Slams I cheer for my least fave who's the better looking of the two. :devil:

In non-Slam events I cheer for my fave who is the "underdog" of the two. :angel:

In non-Slam events I cheer for my least fave who is the better looking of the two. :hehehe:

Circe
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:02 AM
i have an heirachy: Myski over Serena, Serena over Hant (tho it would be nice to see Hant win something for a change), hant over Venus (like that ever happens) Venus over Elena D. Elena D over anyone else.

Prizeidiot
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I have no equal favourites, I always like one person more than the other, though I might switch depending on the situations. eg, one of them needs to win to overtake someone else in rankings, or their game matches up against someone i don't like in the next round... etc

Duramont
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:37 AM
As you see below I'm a great fan of Amelie Mauresmo and Anastasia Myskina. If they are facing up it is always very delicate, but I prefer winning Amelie because she is more often injured than Anastasia! :drool: :angel:

But as a Luxembourger the Luxembourgish tennis players Claudine Schaul, Anne Kremer and Mandy Minella come first. So if any Luxembourgish player meets Mauresmo or Myskina I'm of course supporting the Luxembourgish tennis player. :drool: :angel:
In the hierarchy of the Luxembourgish tennis player it is more difficult. There were no meeting between two Luxembourgish tennis player yet and it would be difficult to me to choose a favourite. I like Anne's fighting spirit and fair play, I admire Claudine to stand with twenty years in Top 70 (the first Luxembourgish player that has reached this) and I admire the great talent of Mandy. :p

But apart from these five players I am also supporting the following players: Dementieva, Sprem, Sugiyama, Jankovic and Safina. They are lower ranked in my hierarchy and I'm only supporting this players if they don't face one of my five "major" favourites. If two of these "lower" favourites are facing up I will be happy for the winner.

:worship: :worship: GOOD LUCK IN 2005 AMELIE AND ANASTASIA!:worship: :worship:

:worship: :worship: GO LUXEMBOURGISH GIRLS IN 2005: :worship: :worship:

Claudine Schaul
Anne Kremer
Mandy Minella

Also good luck in 2005 to: Elena Dementieva, Karolina Sprem, Ai Sugiyama Jelena Jankovic and Dinara Safina!

The Crow
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I just root for the one I like most.

And two that I don't like? Well, I just don't watch ;)

Grohl
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
had that in hasselt, sprem vs camerin, camerin won, but I cheered for both of them

Rohin.
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I only have one REAL favorite and a handfull of others that I like..

But I always go for Daniela no matter what..

Experimentee
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM
With my favourites I go for whoever needs the win the most, or who is playing better.
With disliked players, I go for whoever I dislike the least, or if they're the same, I dont care about the result.

calabar
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM
1 Venus over Serena (for now)

2 Venus/Serena over the rest of the WTA

kikker
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM
well it's allways a win-win situation,
If maria plays then i'l be rootin for her ofcourse