PDA

View Full Version : Could have been!!! A Sad Year!

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I'm saddened by the fact that this year could have been such an AMAZINGLY TREMENDOUS YEAR for Justine. We were only 1/4 of the year done and she already won 5 titles. If that virus never struck, the possibilities would have been endless. She played so well and dominated tennis through that quarter of the year that I really started to believe that she could have won the Golden Slam.

Good luck in 2005, Justine!!!

Pengwin
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Same for Monica Seles though on a much bigger scale. Hopefully Justine will be back sooner than Monica was.

Spunky83
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:25 PM
God, that first first part of the season was too good to be true...If she had continue to play like that, she would have been even better than Federer this year at the mensī tour!

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I agree, Spunky. It's frustrating to see how much attention and glory Federer is getting when I think about the posibilities Justine had available to her. I truly believe that the Doha loss was the only loss she had all year while she was healthy. You could already see in her movement and mannerism in AI that she was not feeling comfortable on the court. I really thought that Justine would just dominate tennis this year.

faboozadoo15
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM
God, that first first part of the season was too good to be true...If she had continue to play like that, she would have been even better than Federer this year at the mensī tour!
ummm okay... i'll respectfully disagree.

faboozadoo15
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:38 PM
I agree, Spunky. It's frustrating to see how much attention and glory Federer is getting when I think about the posibilities Justine had available to her. I truly believe that the Doha loss was the only loss she had all year while she was healthy. You could already see in her movement and mannerism in AI that she was not feeling comfortable on the court. I really thought that Justine would just dominate tennis this year.
wtf is wrong with you people?!?!?! it's FRUSTRATING for you to see roger federer getting attention??? isn't it about time?

i think it's appropriate to be frustrated with justine and her virus... but what does that have to do with federer. even if she had played all year and won three slams just like him she wouldn't be getting the attention that he gets and deserves. years like federer'd only come along on the mens side once in a blue moon.

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:44 PM
i'm not frustrated with roger getting attention. i'm frustrated to see justine not getting the same attention because of her virus. i'm glad for roger, but it saddens me to see that this could also have been justine's marquee year, but is not.

and why wouldn't justine be getting the attention that "[roger] gets and deserves." justine has had to work her ass off to get to where she is now. she's had to overcome opponents who are bigger and stronger than she is. she's had to work around what she has naturally in order to achieve all that she has in her career.

Pengwin
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:46 PM
It's cool that two short (ish) all-court Western-Europe players could be number one at this time (Justine and Roger). It's very good for sport around here to have players like that winning at the top.

vs1
Nov 29th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Along the same line of thinking...IF Serena hadn't injured her knee and had to have surgery, then SHE would have had an amazing year as well. She would've won the US Open last year, and then get the GOLDEN SLAM this year! She was dominating and in top form before she was out with surgery! If her sister hadn't been murdered and all...IF she was healthy! She'd surely be #1 and untouchable!!!

...anyhow, it's nice to consider the possibilities...too bad reality doesn't always cooperate!! :mad:

Spunky83
Nov 29th, 2004, 08:00 PM
wtf is wrong with you people?!?!?! it's FRUSTRATING for you to see roger federer getting attention??? isn't it about time?

i think it's appropriate to be frustrated with justine and her virus... but what does that have to do with federer. even if she had played all year and won three slams just like him she wouldn't be getting the attention that he gets and deserves. years like federer'd only come along on the mens side once in a blue moon.

No way! Even as a fan of Andy Roddick, I have to say: Roger is the king!!!
Iīve seen him playing live and it was one of the most awesome experiences of my life (seriously). I would NEVER critize Roger and I think no one else wanted to do this ;). Tennis-God Roger...heīs not human!

Geisha
Nov 29th, 2004, 08:05 PM
This year could have been a lot of things.

Lindsay could have won two Slams if Maria didn't play so well at Wimbledon and if she didn't get injured against Svetlana at the US Open.

Venus could have dominated the second half of the year- after winning 16 consecutive matches on clay, she got injured against Sprem and didn't win the German Open.

Serena could've advanced to the semifinals of the US Open, if the Umpire wasn't such an idiot in the quarterfinals against Jennifer.

Kim could have matured. Anna could have come back. Martina could have won the Doubles Grand Slam...Finally!...MONICA SELES could have played at least one match this year and prove to all of you haters that she is still the Queen!

WTAaddict
Nov 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM
lots of ifs!!!!!

justine too much training to accomodate the power game is taking toll on her body!!!! so theres the trade!!!!!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I prefer to focus on the positive. Considering the fact that Justine sat out half of the year with an illness, I'm thrilled that she still managed a slam and the Gold in Athens. That's a great year by almost anybody's standards. Yeah, she probably would have won more if she was healthy and would have been ranked higher had she played more tournaments. However, it was not to be. So let's just be happy with what she *did* win :D:cool:

fifiricci
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM
OMG, what a pathetic thread. Get real, please!! Justine was Just Out this year, get over it!! :lol:

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM
OMG, what a pathetic thread. Get real, please!! Justine was Just Out this year, get over it!! :lol:

are you laughing at your joke?
speaking of pathetic.

jenny161185
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:41 PM
exactly look at how much Justine achieved in such a short space of time - and is only one slam away from the career slam - I think shes working very hard as we speak and can t wait to see her back in Oz , she works sooo hard and I don t think she's going to stop until she's number one in the world again and I cant wait!

harloo
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Along the same line of thinking...IF Serena hadn't injured her knee and had to have surgery, then SHE would have had an amazing year as well. She would've won the US Open last year, and then get the GOLDEN SLAM this year! She was dominating and in top form before she was out with surgery! If her sister hadn't been murdered and all...IF she was healthy! She'd surely be #1 and untouchable!!!

...anyhow, it's nice to consider the possibilities...too bad reality doesn't always cooperate!! :mad:
Exactly!!

You guys should stop living in shoulda, woulda, coulda land. All top players get injured it's a fact that everyone should accept.

bandabou
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Hmm.....along those lines, I think itīs fair to say that too bad Serena had to have a surgery last year..otherwise there wouldnīt have been any Justine-era to begin with.

But yeah....this year, so much injuries to the real elite players...opened up the window for semi-elite to rule.

CJ07
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:50 PM
there are a lot of if's and buts

vettipooh
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM
there are a lot of if's and butsSo true, and they go waaayy back. however we have to focus on the here and now...the ready and able.

fifiricci
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:03 PM
I can't put it any better than Beverley Knight already has in her song:

"Would have, could have, should have, are the last words of

a fool"

:devil:

moby
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM
oh shoo, haters...
just let us wallow in our misery :sad:

Grohl
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
same story for kim

saki
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Isn't it just lovely when someone from the Classy Place visits a Justine thread? I love classy people. They're just soooooooooo sweet, aren't they?

As Becca said, it really was a good year considering the virus. A Slam and a gold medal. I'm particularly pleased about the medal because who knows where she'll be in four years.

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Before Serena had her injury and surgery last year, Justine already won 4 titles: Dubai, Charleston, Berlin, and the French Open. Justine was already coming into her own last year even with Serena in the picture and while her success sans Serena might have been the reason why she played such dominatin tennis in the first 1/4 of the year will forever be unseen. I still think that with or without Serena in the picture, Justine was already showing great tennis and amazing competitiveness.

pigam
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM
She would never have won the golden slam, IMHo
But it's still sad she caught that virus :shrug:
I guess it was 'her time' to pay her dues (??)...
We can only hope for a great 2005 :)

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Before Serena had her injury and surgery last year, Justine already won 4 titles: Dubai, Charleston, Berlin, and the French Open. Justine was already coming into her own last year even with Serena in the picture and while her success sans Serena might have been the reason why she played such dominatin tennis in the first 1/4 of the year will forever be unseen. I still think that with or without Serena in the picture, Justine was already showing great tennis and amazing competitiveness.

Indeed....she was competitive.....but she didnīt start dominating till Serena left the tour. I think we can agree on that part.

apoet29
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Ahh, it's always nice to come into a thread and see the in-fighting begin about who's better, who's truly elite, etc, etc. The fact remains is that we are lucky that we are in what I consider to be a great era of tennis. We have so many players who can win grand slams and tier 1 titles at the moment that we should be thrilled with the great level of competition. Yes, players get injured and others benefit, but that is the game. Instead we should embrace how exciting tennis has become and will be next season.

Of course, that is too much to ask from the board!

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Indeed....she was competitive.....but she didnīt start dominating till Serena left the tour. I think we can agree on that part.
I believe SHE WAS VERY COmpetitive against SERENA
SHE DID BEAT A HEALTHY SERENA at CHARLESTon 6-3 6-4
THen SHE defeated her at the FRENch OPen comin from BEhind 4-2 in the 3rd SET- Winnin the last 5 of 6 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUSTINE IS NOT SCARED OF ANYONE THESE DAYS!
IF SHE Plays at her HIGH LEVEL..Everyone BETTER WATCH OUT!
GOOD LUCK TO U JUSTINE IN 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM
THen SHE defeated her at the FRENch OPen comin from BEhind 4-2 in the 3rd SET- Winnin the last 5 of 6 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK TO U JUSTINE IN 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Indeed.....but what about Serena? No good luck for her? :shrug:

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Indeed.....but what about Serena? No good luck for her? :shrug:
THE THREAD IS ABOUT JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
:lol:
of COURSE! Good LUCk to U SERENA in 2005 as WELL
We'll SEE IF HER ABDOMINAL HOLDS UP in Australia
or IF she doesn't Play untiL MIAMI

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM
THE THREAD IS ABOUT JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
:lol:
of COURSE! Good LUCk to U SERENA in 2005 as WELL
We'll SEE IF HER ABDOMINAL HOLDS UP in Australia
or IF she doesn't Play untiL MIAMI

see....Serena-fan, you? Please.....Justineīs ill but you wish that she plays well at the Oz....but when pressed to say something nice about Serena, then you say you donīt know if sheīs gonna play till Miami....itīs cool though.

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:56 PM
see....Serena-fan, you? Please.....Justineīs ill but you wish that she plays well at the Oz....but when pressed to say something nice about Serena, then you say you donīt know if sheīs gonna play till Miami....itīs cool though.
SEE WHAT THE THREAD STARTER WAS SAYIN!
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANyways....Good LUCK to BOTH LADIES IN 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm Always a SERENA FAN
but that Doesn't MEAN I DOn't Support OTHER WTA Players!!!!!
GET IT TOGETHER!
I'm NOT ANTI EVERY FREAKIN PLAYER LIke U Besides SERENA!!!!!!!!!1 :D

wateva
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM
duh... who can escape the injury bug? too bad it had to happen when she was at her peak. but it's bound to happen. get over it...

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I'm Always a SERENA FAN
GET IT TOGETHER!

Nice......still donīt buy that Serena-fan thingies..but o.k....good luck to the ladies in 2005.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I'm Always a SERENA FAN
GET IT TOGETHER!
Posting in strange font and bold blue letters does nothing for the readability of your posts. Just a tip.

cheo23
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Nice......still donīt buy that Serena-fan thingies..but o.k....good luck to the ladies in 2005.
I Don't HAVE to Prove that I'm A SERENA FAN to U!
Okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody is goin to Tell Me otherwise!
I KNow who My FAVORIte Player is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOT It?!?
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck to BOth LADIES IN 2005!
Hopefully WE CAN SEE A GREAT RIvalry: SERena vs. Justine this upcomin YEAR!

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I Don't HAVE to Prove that I'm A SERENA FAN to U!
Okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody is goin to Tell Me otherwise!
I KNow who My FAVORIte Player is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOT It?!?
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck to BOth LADIES IN 2005!
Hopefully WE CAN SEE A GREAT RIvalry: SERena vs. Justine this upcomin YEAR!

If you say so, cheo......if you say so....:angel:

Princess Fiona
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I prefer to focus on the positive. Considering the fact that Justine sat out half of the year with an illness, I'm thrilled that she still managed a slam and the Gold in Athens. That's a great year by almost anybody's standards. Yeah, she probably would have won more if she was healthy and would have been ranked higher had she played more tournaments. However, it was not to be. So let's just be happy with what she *did* win :D:cool:
What this post says. ;) Justine having the virus was awful but she did win the slam and the Olympic Gold... Focus on the positive indeed... :)

I really hope Justine can have a strong year next year. I hope everyone will be injury free and happy and that 2005 will be a great tennis year... Allez </Justine voice> ;) all!! :)

manu32
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM
she won australia and olympics (don't forget she was at the top in august...)

harloo
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM
GOOD LUCK TO U JUSTINE IN 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:Yep on clay Serena has always been suspect, but it still does not mean Justine was dominating her. Wimbledon 2003 proved that alone.

If Serena did not injure her knee she WOULD OF beaten Justine at the US Open, and she COULD OF been #1 at the end of that year, and she SHOULD OF dominated the tour.

Yes, coulda, woulda, shoulda!!;) :hearts:

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yep on clay Serena has always been suspect, but it still does not mean Justine was dominating her. Wimbledon 2003 proved that alone.

If Serena did not injure her knee she WOULD OF beaten Justine at the US Open, and she COULD OF been #1 at the end of that year, and she SHOULD OF dominated the tour.

Yes, coulda, woulda, shoulda!!;) :hearts:

Yeah? No. You can contemplate possibilities, but stating that Serena would have beaten Justine is as much of a fact as saying Justine would have beaten Serena.

All I'm saying is that, even with Serena on the tour, Justine was winning titles and making her mark. So just because Serena was injured and had to stay away from playing for several months doesn't mean that Justine would not have won the titles she had if Serena was also playing.

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Come on shap.....Justine always was doing fine on clay......but you donīt really really really believe she would have had such an amazing hardcourt season with Serena playing, do you?

Even in this off-year Serenaīs record on hardcourts is still amazing.....imagine what sheīd have done last year without surgery...remember that inī03 Serena didnīt lose a single match on non-clay surfaces.

Allez-H
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Not this discussion again :rolleyes:

WTAaddict
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Come on shap.....Justine always was doing fine on clay......but you donīt really really really believe she would have had such an amazing hardcourt season with Serena playing, do you?

Even in this off-year Serenaīs record on hardcourts is still amazing.....imagine what sheīd have done last year without surgery...remember that inī03 Serena didnīt lose a single match on non-clay surfaces.

IF!!!!!

all the players has valid ifs!!!!

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:11 PM

i'm not saying she would have gone undefeated. what i'm saying is that it is not unequivocal that justine's success is directly correlated to Serena's abscence. It has more do with the fact that she worked hard to get to where she was in that point in her career. And it would only be a matter of time before she would assert herself against Serena on non-clay surfaces.

Justine lost 5 straight to Lindsay before she finally got a win in. So why is Serena any different?

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:22 PM
i'm not saying she would have gone undefeated. what i'm saying is that it is not unequivocal that justine's success is directly correlated to Serena's abscence. It has more do with the fact that she worked hard to get to where she was in that point in her career. And it would only be a matter of time before she would assert herself against Serena on non-clay surfaces.

Justine lost 5 straight to Lindsay before she finally got a win in. So why is Serena any different?

:lol: You didnīt just compare Serenaī02-ī03 to Lindsay, did you?

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:27 PM
You can say this about almost anyone though:

What if Hingis had not injured herself in 2001?

What if Capriati hadn't had her "issues" in the 90's?

What if Lindsay didn't injure her knee in 2001?

The if's go on and on...

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'm not saying that the "IFs" only pertain to justine. anyone can go on and make a thread expressing their frustrations.

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
:lol: You didnīt just compare Serenaī02-ī03 to Lindsay, did you?

no i didn't. i'm comparing justine's records against both players. just because justine hasn't defeated serena on non-clay surfaces does not mean she never will. even if serena played in her 02 level (if Chanda and Kim can do it, then so can Justine).

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
You can say this about almost anyone though:

What if Hingis had not injured herself in 2001?

What if Capriati hadn't had her "issues" in the 90's?

What if Lindsay didn't injure her knee in 2001?

The if's go on and on...

Donīt think the injury had any influence on Lindsayīs career after ī01....Serena in ī02 andī03 would have beaten her injury or no injury anyways and the same for Juju and Kim.

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM
no i didn't. i'm comparing justine's records against both players. just because justine hasn't defeated serena on non-clay surfaces does not mean she never will. even if serena played in her 02 level (if Chanda and Kim can do it, then so can Justine).

Probably....I assume that Justine would probably be able to beat Serena once or even twice out of 10 matches on hardcourt..

Andy.
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM
It was a sad year in some respects with the once Dominant Williams Sisters especially Venus struggling to get back to the top and losing to players they should be beating. And of cource the Belgians missing in action. A very disrupted year i hope the injury problems will stop next year.

Andrew.
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Donīt think the injury had any influence on Lindsayīs career after ī01....Serena in ī02 andī03 would have beaten her injury or no injury anyways and the same for Juju and Kim. The time off was no problem for her confidence. Note that Serena's big wins started by winning the YEC in 2001. Had Lindsay played, she might have beaten her, and the confidence that launched Serena might have never been. But this is another "if" scenario, which is why this thread is stupid.

shap_half
Nov 30th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Noone asked you participate in the conversation if all you're going to say is that it's stupid.

bandabou
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
The time off was no problem for her confidence. Note that Serena's big wins started by winning the YEC in 2001. Had Lindsay played, she might have beaten her, and the confidence that launched Serena might have never been. But this is another "if" scenario, which is why this thread is stupid.

Now youīre talking a veeeeerrrrryyyyyyyy big if.....allmost impossibility.

Stamp Paid
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:58 PM
The time off was no problem for her confidence. Note that Serena's big wins started by winning the YEC in 2001. Had Lindsay played, she might have beaten her, and the confidence that launched Serena might have never been. But this is another "if" scenario, which is why this thread is stupid.
Serena's big wins started at Miami 2002, beating the world's #1, 2, and 3 players in succession to take the title, not the YEC 2001.

AlexB
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:04 AM
we here in GM dont agree on many things but i think we can all agree that we all wish for all the players out last year to come back healthy and strong and that all the top players remain healthy so we can all enjoy a great 2005

Andrew.
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:09 AM
Serena's big wins started at Miami 2002, beating the world's #1, 2, and 3 players in succession to take the title, not the YEC 2001. No. The YEC started it. Wins YEC, pulls out from Sydney, Wins Scottsdale and then Miami.

bandabou
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
aah, that ankle sprain at Sydney....really costed Serena a real GRAND SLAM that year...because girl was looking good!

Knizzle
Dec 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM
No. The YEC started it. Wins YEC, pulls out from Sydney, Wins Scottsdale and then Miami.

Making the US Open 2001 final started it all if you must know.

faboozadoo15
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:27 AM
lots of speculation goin on here...
what if mary pierce hadn't gotten injured after winning her french open?

fifiricci
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Noone asked you participate in the conversation if all you're going to say is that it's stupid.
A few suggestions then, because you are breaking my heart:

1. Take your ball and go home.
2. Move this thread to the Justine forum.

:p

sense
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM
A few suggestions then, because you are breaking my heart:

1. Take your ball and go home.
2. Move this thread to the Justine forum.

:p

Honey, you are off your game. Missed one- shouldn't you have
visited that Van Damme photo thread? I'm bitterly disappointed
in you. :tape:

fifiricci
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:38 AM
Honey, you are off your game. Missed one- shouldn't you have
visited that Van Damme photo thread? I'm bitterly disappointed
in you. :tape:
I tried, but it caused projectile vomiting and I ruined my keyboard!