PDA

View Full Version : Great matches-aussie girls

slice
Nov 27th, 2004, 03:42 AM
upon realising how close the adidas international is, i just started to remember all the great matches the aussie girls have putup against the higher-ranked and more experienced players. here are some of my favourites:

2000. serena d. amanda graheme- iwas having palpatations in this match, so was amanda's sis, lol. and she was so composed, probably one of the greatest matches ive ever seen simply coz serena was exceedingly stuck up back then.

1999 hopman cup, i think, where dokic, who was an aussie back then, defeated aranxta and all these other good players to win the title even after a shitty performance by her and the scud in the 1st tie :bounce:

2000 sydney. dokic d. dominikovic in 3 tight sets, every1 was expecting jelena to win but was really close nonetheless.

2001. evie beat patty in 3 sets, she hit this winner and u shuldve seen her expression, it was like, "omg, it went in" :haha: so stoked she won that 1.

2003. stosur defeated conchita (my fave :sad:) great score tho

2004. stosur's run through to the SF at the gold coast- probably the highlight of the year as it was completely unexpected and she shouldve gone through to the final but choked! :(

2004. molik's matches:
* defeated auresmo probably the best win coz i hate mauresmo and she's a shit player neway, just coz all she does is lob and slice doesn't mean she's a good player. i dont care what the ranking says ;)
* beating maria to win zurich- awesome win.

2003. davenport d. pratt, funniest match ive probably seen, especially with nicole's backhand versus lindsay's power :haha: she did well to get 6-3 6-3 compared to her other scores against lindsay.

2003. pratt d. washington 6-1 7-6... i take it back, this is the funniest match ive seen nicole play! there was one stage where there was a close line call and nicole was scampering and put her hands up mid-way through the point but played anyway, eventually won the point, and screamed "come on"... :haha:

2004. pratt vs zvonareva at the zo open, great match compared to her match with vera a week earlier :tape:

hmmm thats all i can think of now and i know these are probably all boring but im procrastinating from doing uni work so :p

what are yours?

:wavey:

louloubelle
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Can't believe no ones replied on this thread??

Best wins for me:

Bradtke def Graf - 92 Fed Cup in Germany - 1st rnd, 1 rubber down. Graf has a shoulder injury but Nic apparently played brilliantly to win 64 16 61.

McQuillan def Martinez - US in the 90's 62 75. Rcahel was brilliant that day, attacked the net and came back from 15 in the 2nd to win.

Pratt def Suarez 03 Aus Open - Nicole was down in every set and never seemed to be in control but found a way to win.

Evie def Schnyder 02 Aus Open - Patty looked disinterested from the word go, but Evie just kept getting verything back which got to Patty who started spraying everything.

Stewart def Gagliardi - Aus Open - Finally Bryanne showed the talent she has promised. Unfortunately it didn't last long.

I'll post my worst matchs next!!!

TS
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I'm going to have to have to think about this one...

A couple that spring to mind from watching on TV

Pratt d Shaughnessy at AO 2004

Serena d Grahame at AO 2000

Davenport d Dokic at AO 2001 - well she was Aussie back then

Ones I've seen live:

Evie d Musgrave at AO 2004 - sloppy match, but the drama was just :D

Voracova d Belobrajdic at AO qualies 2002 - Jenny was points away from a great win. Lots of atmosphere for a qualy match as she was the last surviving Aussie in the field.

Stosur d Martinez at AO 2003 - Sam played great in this match. A packed outside court added to the excitement.

More to come....

Mr_Molik
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM
1999- then aussie dokic def no1 seed hingis 2 and 0 in first rd wimbly :eek: too bad she became a bitch soon after :(

SpikeyAidanm
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:40 AM
My top 10:

1. Molik def Sharapova
2. Molik def Clijsters, Hopman Cup, Molik was dominating the match and Kim didn't get her injury until set #3
3. Pratt def Shaughnessy, people complained that this wasn't worthy of a RLA night match, but it lived up to expectations :)
4. Stosur's run to the SF of the Gold Coast, catapulted her 2004 breakthrough year :)
5. Serena def Grahame :o
6. Ellwood def Ghaiddi-Rubbi (sp) - tense match in 1998 Aus Open 2r I think
7. McQuillian def Testud - either Testud or Tauziat it was at Dubai, great win :)
8. Pratt def Farina Elia, on vodaphone Aussie Open, Silvia was gracious in defeat :)
9. Venus def Dominikovic, FO 2r, should have seen the reaction on Venus' face when she lost the second set :haha:
10. Wheeler def Kournikova, only her 2nd MD win :o :lol:

Mateo Mathieu
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:17 AM
7. McQuillian def Testud - either Testud or Tauziat it was at Dubai, great win :)
It was Mary Pierce, ranked #7 at the time. McQuillan lost in the semis to Nathalie Tauziat 57 57.

Mr_Molik
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:49 AM
evies run to the 3rd rd at the aussie open a couple of yrs ago was great :hearts:

broncosven
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:23 AM
Mcquaillians run at Dubai a few years back

Molik's run in Hobart to win the title

Stosur's win over Matinez in AO

ill think some more and get back to u

Aussie_chic
Dec 5th, 2004, 02:05 PM
My top 10:
1. Molik def Sharapova

Agreed. My fav :drool: although I didn't get to even see it on TV!

2. Molik def Clijsters, Hopman Cup, Molik was dominating the match and Kim didn't get her injury until set #3

I saw that live and it was soooo good. Such a pity it couldn't be finished. When Kim withdrew I was like 'well at least Australia will be in the final now' to my sister (cos she is like a HUGE KIM fan and was distraut. :sad: ) But apparently that was rude and so then when Molik did her ankle days later she told me it was pay back. So BOTH our favs injured their ankles! :fiery:

But also when Molik beat Daniela for the first time (her biggest scalp) that was awesome because it was unexpected and Alicia LOVED it! And you could see her confidence grow all tourney and then she went on to win Hobart!! :hearts:

Mr_Molik
Dec 6th, 2004, 12:16 AM
yep alicias zurich win is also definitely my fave. i was lucky enough to see the semi final and final on tv :D

AUSBOY
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Molik def Dokic at Birmingham soon after she changed nationalities
Guse def Po 13th seed, at Wimbledon, came back from 6-3 5-3 down
Radford def Navratilova at Eastbourne, pushing Martinez to 3 at Wimbledon the year she won it

nitocris_tiger
Dec 8th, 2004, 11:52 AM
McQuillan vs Provis in the final of Brisbane 1991/2?? Was this the last all Aus WTA final?
Evie def Benesova 6/0 6/1 1r French Open 2003 and I was there! :banana:

Mr_Molik
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Evie def Benesova 6/0 6/1 1r French Open 2003 and I was there! :banana:really :eek: match report plz :p

nitocris_tiger
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM
really :eek: match report plz :phttp://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=71237

Gowza
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:51 AM
dont know bout quality but stosur taking sharapova to 3 sets this year, even tho she lost was one of the better matches for the aussie girls this year. molik beating sharapova and mauresmo.

louloubelle
Dec 29th, 2004, 11:42 PM
How about we try and come up with a list of each Aussies best win of their career. Feel free to include players who have retired.
Lets discuss and hopefully come to a agreement of a players best win!

Molik def Sharapova 2005 Zurich final 4-6 6-3 6-2 (Score correct??)
Pratt def Suarez 3rd rnd 2004 Aus Open 6-4 7-6 (score correct??)
Stosur def Martinez 1st rnd 2003 Aus Open (score??)
Dominikovic def Tauzait 2nd Rnd 2000 Indian Wells 2-6 6-3 7-5 (score, year, torunament correct???)
Provis def Graf 1st Rnd 92 Fed Cup 6-4 1-6 6-1
McQuillan def Martinez 3rd Rnd Us Open 6-2 7-5 (year??)
Radford def Navratilova 93 2nd rnd Birmingham (score??)
Ellwood def Capriati 1st rnd Us Open 6-4 6-4 (year and score)
Stewart def Gagliardi 2nd rnd 2001 Aus Open 2-6 6-4 6-4
Wheeler def Kournikova 1st rnd French Open (year and score??)

Any changes to this??

TS
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, is Suarez really Nicole's best win? :eek: What about Silvia Farine-Elia at the AO 2003, and also again at US Open 03? Or maybe even Elena Dementieva in Miami last year...6-4 7-5. Not sure what Elena's rank was at the time. Nicole also beat (a pregnant :o) Sandrine Testud in Birmingham 2002, I believe Sandrine was in the 10-15 range at that time.

If we look at it from a 'bigger picture' viewpoint though, than I'd agree that Suarez was her best win, simply because it got her into the 4th round of her home Slam for the first time in her career. By the same token, her 7-6 6-1 win over Maria Kirilenko this year could also be seen as her best win because it won her her first WTA title :)

Also, she beat Suarez in 2003, and also Molik beat Masha in 2004 :p

AUSBOY
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Best Wins, my thoughts

Molik win over Sharapova 2004 Zurich was fantastic but her win over Myskina in Fed Cup this year was probably more impressive 6-3 6-3. Also her win over Mauresmo in San Diego was a big victory for her too. I'd go Myskina 1, Sharapova 2, Mauresmo 3! Myskina after all was voted player of the year!! Sharapova really hadnt done that much up until Zurich other than her win at Wimbledon, she had actually performed poorly in most of the tier 1's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Nicole Pratt has many great wins over Testud, Kournikova, Shaughnessy four times, Smashnova 6-0 6-1, Gorrechategui & Tulyaganova 6-0 6-2, Sugiyama four times incl. 6-2 6-1, Kremer, Danilidou, Martinez, Farina-Elia. Hard to pick one win in particular as her best.

I would chose either her win over Kournikova at San Diego 2001 6-7 6-1 6-3 or Martinez in Los Angeles 2003, 4-6 6-4 6-4 though, they were both in Tier I events that she went on to reach the quarter finals in, both coming back from a set down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Stosur's victory over Martinez wasnt her greatest, Martinez wasnt even in the top 30 at the time. Her victory over Karolina Sprem at Indian Wells this year 6-4 6-4 was better, Sprem was comfortably in the top 30 then.

Dominikovic def Tauziat 2nd Rnd 2000 Indian Wells 2-6 6-3 7-5

Still her only victory over a top 10 player and she was a bit lucky at that, down 5-3 in the third, got a few lucky netcords and line calls!

Provis/Bradtke def Graf 1st Rnd 92 Fed Cup 6-4 1-6 6-1

No doubt about it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

McQuillan's best was beating Lindsay Davenport to reach Quarter Finals of Lipton Championships in 1994? 5? something like 6-2 6-4, her first win over a top 10 player

Her victories over Pierce and Martinez come equal second to this

Radford/Kunce def Navratilova Birmingham early 90's, she also beat Spirlea at Wimbledon 94 when she was seeded. Think you would have to say her win over Martina on grass because she was the queen of grass.

Ellwood's best win probably wasnt over Capriati even though that was a good win Capriati wasnt even in the top 100 at the time and was rusty as. Annabel beat Lori McNeil, Brandi at the Aust Open, Farina-Elia in Hobart, Serna in Fed Cup, Hack in Gold Coast and Stevenson in Oklahoma.

I'd actually say her win over Serna was her best, she was under enormous pressure in her Fed Cup debut, it was a big tie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stewart had good wins over Tu, Anca Barna, Sucha, Cho, Torrens Valero, Perebiynis, Lee-Waters, but on the scale of things her win over Gagliardi was the biggest result of her career but probably not her toughest win, more of a mental one.

Wheeler win over Kournikova at French, then victory of Panova in 2nd place

louloubelle
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Best Wins, my thoughts

Molik win over Sharapova 2004 Zurich was fantastic but her win over Myskina in Fed Cup this year was probably more impressive 6-3 6-3. Also her win over Mauresmo in San Diego was a big victory for her too. I'd go Myskina 1, Sharapova 2, Mauresmo 3! Myskina after all was voted player of the year!! Sharapova really hadnt done that much up until Zurich other than her win at Wimbledon, she had actually performed poorly in most of the tier 1's.

Nicole Pratt has many great wins over Testud, Kournikova, Shaughnessy four times, Smashnova 6-0 6-1, Gorrechategui & Tulyaganova 6-0 6-2, Sugiyama four times incl. 6-2 6-1, Kremer, Danilidou, Martinez, Farina-Elia. Hard to pick one win in particular as her best.

I would chose either her win over Kournikova at San Diego 2001 6-7 6-1 6-3 or Martinez in Los Angeles 2003, 4-6 6-4 6-4 though, they were both in Tier I events that she went on to reach the quarter finals in, both coming back from a set down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Stosur's victory over Martinez wasnt her greatest, Martinez wasnt even in the top 30 at the time. Her victory over Karolina Sprem at Indian Wells this year 6-4 6-4 was better, Sprem was comfortably in the top 30 then.

Dominikovic def Tauziat 2nd Rnd 2000 Indian Wells 2-6 6-3 7-5

Still her only victory over a top 10 player and she was a bit lucky at that, down 5-3 in the third, got a few lucky netcords and line calls!

Provis/Bradtke def Graf 1st Rnd 92 Fed Cup 6-4 1-6 6-1

No doubt about it!

McQuillan's best was beating Lindsay Davenport to reach Quarter Finals of Lipton Championships in 1994? 5? something like 6-2 6-4, her first win over a top 10 player

Her victories over Pierce and Martinez come equal second to this

Radford/Kunce def Navratilova Birmingham early 90's, she also beat Spirlea at Wimbledon 94 when she was seeded. Think you would have to say her win over Martina on grass because she was the queen of grass.

Ellwood's best win probably wasnt over Capriati even though that was a good win Capriati wasnt even in the top 100 at the time and was rusty as. Annabel beat Lori McNeil, Brandi at the Aust Open, Farina-Elia in Hobart, Serna in Fed Cup, Hack in Gold Coast and Stevenson in Oklahoma.

I'd actually say her win over Serna was her best, she was under enormous pressure in her Fed Cup debut, it was a big tie!

Stewart had good wins over Tu, Anca Barna, Sucha, Cho, Torrens Valero, Perebiynis, Lee-Waters, but on the scale of things her win over Gagliardi was the biggest result of her career but probably not her toughest win, more of a mental one.

Wheeler win over Kournikova at French, then victory of Panova in 2nd place

Hey AUSBOY Id thought you'd clear up some of my dodgy facts and figures. I bet you reeled them off the top of your head without consulting anything :)

Molik - How about her win over Myskina in the bronze medal rnd??

Pratt - Her win over Anna was only marred by the fact that Anna was coming back from a long injury layoff I think. I still lean towards Suarez because of the occassion however the Martinez one was good.

Stosur - Agree - will update Sprem

McQuillan - Davenport was noticably ill in that match and wasn't at her best, (not to take anything away from Rachel) and Peirce was going thru a real down patch in form during that time. (not to take anything again away from Rachel) The Martinez match I feel is tops because Martinez was on a hot streak with a couple of hard court victories and/or good performances. However Racehl victory over Coetzer in South Africa Fed Cup was great too!!!

Ellwood - Agree with the Serna Fed Cup match, winning the rubber after ASV had beat Rachel. Don't rate the McNeil win, Lori was in horrible form at that time.

Anyone care to add any other players??

louloubelle
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Hmmm, is Suarez really Nicole's best win? :eek: What about Silvia Farine-Elia at the AO 2003, and also again at US Open 03? Or maybe even Elena Dementieva in Miami last year...6-4 7-5. Not sure what Elena's rank was at the time. Nicole also beat (a pregnant :o) Sandrine Testud in Birmingham 2002, I believe Sandrine was in the 10-15 range at that time.

If we look at it from a 'bigger picture' viewpoint though, than I'd agree that Suarez was her best win, simply because it got her into the 4th round of her home Slam for the first time in her career. By the same token, her 7-6 6-1 win over Maria Kirilenko this year could also be seen as her best win because it won her her first WTA title :)

Also, she beat Suarez in 2003, and also Molik beat Masha in 2004 :p
C'mon don't sit on the fence!!! make a decision!!! :p

louloubelle
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Aussie Girls Best Wins (work in progress)

Molik def Myskina 2005 Fed Cup or 2005 Olympics???

Pratt def Suarez 3rd rnd 2004 Aus Open 6-4 7-6 (up for debate :) )

Stosur def Sprem 1st rnd Indian Wells 6-4 6-4

Dominikovic def Tauzait 2nd Rnd 2000 Indian Wells 2-6 6-3 7-5

Provis def Graf 1st Rnd 92 Fed Cup 6-4 1-6 6-1

McQuillan def Martinez 1994 3rd Rnd Us Open 6-2 7-5 (up for debate :) )

Radford def Navratilova 93 2nd rnd Birmingham

Ellwood def Serna Fed Cup vs Spain

Stewart def Gagliardi 2nd rnd 2001 Aus Open 2-6 6-4 6-4

Wheeler def Kournikova 1st rnd French Open

__________________________________________________ _______________

Anyone care to list ones for Watson, Jaggard-Lai, McShea, Guse, Drake-Brockman, Musgrave, Godridge and our satelitte queens... Adamczak, Breadmore, Hewitt, Dittman etc....

AUSBOY
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Davenport ill? I never heard that, are you sure??? Davenport wouldnt have played out the match if she was that ill. I remember seeing a few of the rallies on the news and I certainly didnt pick it up nor remember the commentators mentioning it. I even remember them interviewing Rachel after the match and she was saying how well she played etc. Rachel was in great form, she had knocked out the 14th seed Amy Frazier in str8 sets the round before, and someone decent the round before that too! Also she beat Martinez in 1997 not 94.

As for Alicia's win over Myskina at the Olympics, Myskina was a mental wreck and didnt have a chance to get over her match with Justine where she led 5-1 in the 3rd and then choked, she wasnt her best that day, even Alicia said she just had to play solid and hold her service games! The Fed Cup match was far different and a much more impressive win.

I dont understand how you think Suarez was Pratt's biggest victory, her victory over Shaughnessy this year was more impressive! Kournikova was the 9th seed at San Diego and ranked in the top 20 at the time, at that time she was returning from only a short layoff.

AUSBOY
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Guse defeating 13th seed Kim Po at Wimbledon!

Musgrave - Jidkova 7th seed at Surbiton 2001

Godridge - Well she did beat Pam Shriver! Probably the biggest name scalp for her.

Breadmore - Had wins over Morigami, Kirilenko, Uberoi, Perebiynis. Have to say her win over Tatiana at Aust Open in 2003, she played so well!

Hewitt - Evie Dominikovic Final at Canberra this year, Evie was in top form winning 4 of the next 5 events. 2nd best win Pavlina Nola at Bendigo $25K S/F

Dittmann - Wins over Stosur, Dulko, Castano, Martinez-Granados, Bammer, Cohen-Aloro, Lamade, Safarova, Viratprasert, I.Abramovic. Probably her win over Dulko at the $50K Modena Challenger, I remember reading a match report about Gisela and how she was particularly mad to have lost this one!

Sewell - Cho at Surbiton

TS
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:53 AM
I agree about Rachel's win over Martinez at the 97 US Open. Was a great performance and Conchi was in really good form.

Re Nicole Pratt - it's a toughie, because it's difficult to define 'best' win. Are we talking rankings (of the opponent) or achievement as a result of that direct win (i.e. winning a title, reaching a Slam milestone)...with such a long career as Nicole's it's quite difficult to chose one. I'll pick 3: Martinez LA 03, Suarez AO 03, and Kirilenko Hyderebad 04.

I'll have a think about the lower ranked girls and get back to you ;)

louloubelle
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Davenport ill? I never heard that, are you sure??? Davenport wouldnt have played out the match if she was that ill. I remember seeing a few of the rallies on the news and I certainly didnt pick it up nor remember the commentators mentioning it. I even remember them interviewing Rachel after the match and she was saying how well she played etc. Rachel was in great form, she had knocked out the 14th seed Amy Frazier in str8 sets the round before, and someone decent the round before that too! Also she beat Martinez in 1997 not 94.

I dont understand how you think Suarez was Pratt's biggest victory, her victory over Shaughnessy this year was more impressive! Kournikova was the 9th seed at San Diego and ranked in the top 20 at the time, at that time she was returning from only a short layoff.
From the print media I found out Davenport was ill - can't remember the source - too long ago. And c'mon just because a TV report (which in tennis terms is always cursory at best and hardly worth relying on for a decent report) didn't mention it doesn't mean it didn't happen!! And I hardly think Rachel would mention it either considering around this time she tried to delude herself and us that she was going to be a top 20 player!

And if I was a top player like Davenport, in the 3rd or 4th rnd of a big tournie, feeling ill and facing a player like Rachel McQuillan, I would take the court thinking I would win the match. Unfortunately for Lindsay Rachel was on-song that day.

The Pratt issue is a toughie. It's a mixture of what TS has said - quality of opponent and achievement. That's why the Kirilenko, Suarez and Martinez wins are up there. I don't put the Kournikova, Shaughnessy at the level of the first three - 1st rnd wins over a top 20 players don't compare to wins that have brought your first tournie win, first 4th rnd showing at a slam or 1st qtr-final at a Tier I.
I'd expect that if Nicole was to finish her career right now, which moment would she savour the most?? Maybe the tournie win because she owns that one or your best showing at your home grand slam. Apparently she a Martinez don't get along, so beating her at LA maybe is up there too! Tough one - i'll mention all!

louloubelle
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Godridge - Well she did beat Pam Shriver! Probably the biggest name scalp for her.

:D Probably her win over Manuela Maleeva at 3rd Wimbledon is best, the loss nearlly sent Manuela into retirement!

louloubelle
Jan 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Probably her win over Manuela Maleeva at 3rd Wimbledon is best, the loss nearlly sent Manuela into retirement!

louloubelle
Oct 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Thought Id BUMP this one and update the list. Any changes or additions (particularly for McShea, Adamczak, Welford - cant recall their best wins) are welcome.

Alicia Molik def V. Williams 7-6 7-5, 4R Aus Open 05
Nicole Pratt def Kirilenko 7-6 6-1 Hyperdad Final 94
Samantha Stosur def Farina-Elia 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 SF Gold Coast 05
Evie Dominikovic def Tauzait, Indian Wells
Cindy Watson def Gagliardi, 2R Aus Open
Bryanne Stewart def Gagliardi,26 64 64, 2R Aus Open
Lisa McShea
Christina Wheeler def Kournikova, 64 61, 1R French Open
Mireille Dittmann def Dulko, $50K Modena Challenger
Trudi Musgrave def Jidkova at Surbiton 2001
Sophie Ferguson def Llagostera Vives, 1R Aus Open, 2005
Lauren Breadmore def Perebyinus, 1R Qual Aus Open 2003
Casey Dellacqua def Jidkova, 1R Hobart, 2005
Monique Adamczak
Beti Sekulovski def Watson, SF, 25K Rockhampton
Tiffany Welford

gillibean
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM
my fave is soph vs petrova - only the first set. bloody brilliant

OZTENNIS
Sep 24th, 2006, 09:54 PM
this thread needs a bump!!

i think we can add samantha stosur's 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-3 victory over Lindsay Davenport earlier this year, to the list and what about nicole pratt's 3 set win over Tatiana Golovin at Wimbledon?

Brett.
Sep 25th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Sophie Ferguson defeated Vives @ AO 2005
Sophie took a set off Nadia Petrova and also Magdalena MAleeva and both of them were in the top 20.

Christina Wheeler wins over Anna Kournikova @ FO 200? was unbelieavable!

aussie_fan
Sep 25th, 2006, 07:31 AM
molik's run at the 2005 aus open, was great, the 4th round and then the quarter final against davenport were great tennis.

sam's final at the gold coast in 2005, she was so close and against molik in sydney the next week

stosur's loss against davenport at 2003 wimbledon, sammy played really well

sophie's 3 set matches in 2005, her loss against malevva in sydney was close, then her win against vives and then when she took the first set off pertrova, i was so happy.

louloubelle
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Updated list (anyone care to list any other current players)

Nicole Pratt def Kirilenko 7-6 6-1 Hyperdad Final 94
Samantha Stosur def Davenport 6-7, 6-4 6-3 2nd rnd Los Angeles
Evie Dominikovic def Tauzait, 2-6 6-3 7-5 Indian Wells
Bryanne Stewart def Gagliardi, 26 64 64, 2R Aus Open
Christina Wheeler def Kournikova, 64 61, 1R French Open
Mirielle Dittmann def Dulko, $50K Modena Challenger
Sophie Ferguson def Llagostera Vives, 1R Aus Open, 2005
Casey Dellacqua def Sprem 2-6 7-6 6-2 Korea, 2006
Monique Adamczak def Czink Gold Coast qualifying 2006
Beti Sekulovski def Watson, SF, 25K Rockhampton
Jelena Dokic def Martina Hingis, 1R Wimbledon 1999

Christina Horitopolous def ???
Emily Hewson def ???
Daniella Dominikovic def ???

louloubelle
Jan 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Time to resurrect this for the Aussie Open.

OK - is Nicole Pratts win today against Safina her best, considering its her first against a top tenner :confused: Fergusons's has been updated too.

Can anyone help me with Lisa D'Amelio, Cassandra Barr and any other Aussies Ive left off, or needs updating.

Updated list

Nicole Pratt def Kirilenko 7-6 6-1 Hyperdad Final 94/Safina 4-6 6-3 6-2 1R Sydney
Evie Dominikovic def Tauzait, 2-6 6-3 7-5 Indian Wells
Bryanne Stewart def Gagliardi, 26 64 64, 2R Aus Open
Christina Wheeler def Kournikova, 6-4 6-1, 1R French Open 2001
Mirielle Dittmann def Dulko, $50K Modena Challenger
Sophie Ferguson def Sugiyama 7-5 6-4 1R Gold Coast 2007
Monique Adamczak def Czink 6-2 2-6 7-6 Gold Coast qualifying 2006
Jelena Dokic def Martina Hingis, 6-2 6-2 1R Wimbledon 1999
Christina Horitopolous def Olga Savchuk, 2R Canberra Qualifying 2006
Emily Hewson def Lauren Breadmore 4-6 6-3 6-2. 1R Gold Coast Qual 2007
Daniella Dominikovic def Adriana Szili 1R Aus Open qualifying 2005
Nicole Kriz def Melanie South, 1R Nuriootpa 2006

AUSBOY
Jan 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Pratt has had better wins! Her win over Martinez and Testud were better!

Kriz's best win was over Stosur

Dittmanns best was over Safarova or Castano

louloubelle
Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Thought Id revive this thread..... 3 years on!
Current gals still playing!
Sophie Ferguson def Sugiyama 7-5 6-4 1R Gold Coast 2007
Monique Adamczak def Czink 6-2 2-6 7-6 Gold Coast qualifying 2006
Jelena Dokic def Martina Hingis, 6-2 6-2 1R Wimbledon 1999

Discussion: Sam's biggest win, Serena or Dementieva last year?
I think Adamczak's win last week over Razzanno maybe her best. She did win a round in a slam against a non-committed Tulyganova
Groth?
Rodionova?
Dellacqua's win over Mauresmo is probably her best
Rogowska over Kirilenko?
Moore?
Peers over Hlavakova
Golds over Ferguson?
Wejnert?
Mirkovic?
Hubacek?
Bai?
Is Fergusons win over Sugiyama still her best?

Ben.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Both of Sam's wins over Serena in 09 Stanford & Dementieva at the 09 FO were no doubt impressive. But if I had a choice I would probably pick Sam's win against Dementieva only because it culminated in her reaching her first GS semifinal, a big breakthrough in her career which announced her presence in the Top 20.

I mean one could well argue that Sam's win over Serena was maybe better. It was her very first win over Serena, and it happened around 6 months after she faced Serena in Sydney holding match points.

I would agree that Adamczak's win last week over Razzano was probably one of her best. I also remember she had that win over Vesnina in the 1r of the Gold Coast in 2008. Score was 7-6(4) 3-6 7-5. Watched that match & Mon fought so hard in that match & played some excellent tennis. She was so thrilled about it afterwards.

Rogowska's win over Kirilenko was definitely her best win. She also did well to push Safina to 3 sets at last year's USO in the 1st Round...although the match wasn't really top quality imo.

Ben.
Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Jarka had a good win over Shahar Peer in the 2nd Round of the 08 Japan Open. Score was 5-7 6-1 7-6(9). She went on to reach the semis eventually losing to Wozniacki. Only one I could think of that was probably her best, if not close to it at least.

Moore's best win was probably over Julie Ditty at the 08 AO. Only time she has beaten a Top 100 player if I'am correct. Although I remember AUSBOY saying that Ditty was feeling ill at that time or something along the lines of that. But it still counts as a win.

I think Soph's win over Sugiyama was her best. Can't think of any others that were better.

jack21
Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
I think that Julie was ranked 101 when Jess beat her but not sure. Ash Sumner took a set of a player ranked in the mid 60's in Sydney this year which was a pretty nice effort.

tennisforadults
Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
I only started following Sam in the last 3 years. Didn't know she had such great matches such as against Conchita Martínez and Lindsay Davenport early in her career.

All of Sam's wins against the top 5 last year were great:

Stanford: Stosur def. Serena Williams 6-2 3-6 6-2
Roland Garros: Stosur (30) def. Elena Dementieva (4), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
Miami: Stosur (AUS) def. [2] Dinara Safina (RUS) 6-1 6-4
Osaka: Stosur def. Caroline Wozniacki 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
Toronto: Stosur def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4 6-3

This year, the highlights are:

Miami R4: [9]Stosur def. [7]Jelena Jankovic 6-1, 7-6(9)
Charleston final: [4]Stosur def. [7]Vera Zvonareva 6-0, 6-3