PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what is TiVo?

DelMonte
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Various US posters keep mentioning it in relation to recording stuff on TV but what makes it different to an ordinary VCR?

Confused, DelMonte.

Sally Struthers
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
tivo is the little thing where the little man in the little box tapes your shows for you digitally on hard drives instead of physical tapes. You can watch your favorite show and if you haveto get up to do somethingyou can pause it but the little man inside the box still keeps recording it live so when you get back to wanting to watch it again it is still "live" for you. Make sense? You can also program it to scan for your favorite shows or for movies with your favorite actors etc so you can watch all your favorites at your leisure.

TIVO people! Are you reading this?! Sally's always looking for a new gig or product to sell!

DelMonte
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Aaah, thanks Sally.

Another question though: does it come free with your digital/cable TV or is it a piece of hard ware that you have to buy?

Sally Struthers
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
well you have to pay for the box plus a monthly subscription fee.

Bacardi
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
You have to buy the hardware, althou if you get a Direct TV system I think they sell them together now. And you also have to pay a monthly subscription fee to get Tivo.

NJjeff
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Some cable companies are now offering cable boxes with the same functionality as TiVo. My cable company, Comcast, offers one for an extra 8.95/month which isn't too bad when you consider the monthly subscription fee on TiVo is more than that I believe.

Kuilli
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Some cable companies are now offering cable boxes with the same functionality as TiVo. My cable company, Comcast, offers one for an extra 8.95/month which isn't too bad when you consider the monthly subscription fee on TiVo is more than that I believe.
$8.95/month? We have to pay $9.95/month in Seattle. ;) But it's still well worth it.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM
i didnt know we were paying to subscribe to tivo :lol:

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I have mine through Comcast and it's called DVR (Digital Video Recorder)...:D

Rocketta
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:15 PM
$8.95/month? We have to pay $9.95/month in Seattle. ;) But it's still well worth it.
Hey I pay an extra $5.95 a month for mine through TimeWarner...but my sister just got offered one for $3 extra a month..:fiery:

Kuilli
Nov 20th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Hey I pay an extra $5.95 a month for mine through TimeWarner...but my sister just got offered one for $3 extra a month..:fiery:
Only extra $3 a month?! :eek: Wow! I wouldn't mind that at all. ;) Comcast sales reps better be reading this. ;)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 20th, 2004, 02:09 AM
It's basically like Sky Plus isn't it?

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:16 AM
It's basically like Sky Plus isn't it?
Not sure what Sky Plus is...:shrug: but Tivo/DVR allows you to pause live TV and FF or rewind...Instead of using VHS tapes in you VCR or DVD discs in you DVD player, you store programs to the hard drive in your cable box. It's great....;)