PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition matches?

marsha
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Other than the two mentioned in this thread, do you know of any exo matches in December?

I remember Pam Shriver saying Lindsay and (somebody, I forget - Mybe Sharapova) would be playing in Baltimore. Are there others scheduled?

miranda_lou
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Supposedly, Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick and the Bryan Brothers are taking a BUS TOUR across the country, playing exhibition matches along the way.:lol: :lol: Personally, I can't see Andre on a BUS, but there are people who swear it will happen.:rolleyes:

I guess Steffi and the kids (plus nanny) will follow behind in a limo cause I KNOW Steffi Graf won't ride on a Greyhound!!!:kiss: :hearts: :tape: :lol: Can you imagine Stef checking into the Comfort Inn in Peoria or Keokuk and asking for the "suite"!!:lol:

Sorry, it's just too funny.:rolleyes:

manu32
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
capriati sharapova

Paneru
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Well, Anna and Serena are supposed
to be playing each other on Sunday
in an exhibition.

Serena took Venus' place though I think Venus
may take it back again with Serena still in pain
and that way Serena won't have to tax herself.

Serena and Anna are supposed to team up
against Venus and (???) for doubles.

What's that lady's name again?

darrinbaker00
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Well, Anna and Serena are supposed
to be playing each other on Sunday
in an exhibition.

Serena took Venus' place though I think Venus
may take it back again with Serena still in pain
and that way Serena won't have to tax herself.

Serena and Anna are supposed to team up
against Venus and (???) for doubles.

What's that lady's name again?
Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, who was the biggest server in women's tennis until Venus came along. I hope Serena and Anna wear Kevlar™ vests when they return serve.

Becool
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I'm so surprised with this exhibition between serena and anna! that's really interesting! good luck both :)

PointBlank
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Serena vs. Anna,Anna/Serena vs. Brenda/Venus,Masha vs. Lindsay,Masha vs. Jen

Those 4 I know of

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Other than the two mentioned in this thread, do you know of any exo matches in December?

I remember Pam Shriver saying Lindsay and (somebody, I forget - Mybe Sharapova) would be playing in Baltimore. Are there others scheduled?

Im so excited for this one because i am going!!! This is going to be the first Professional Tennis match that i have ever been to...!! :bounce: Even though i dont really like the players... i still can wait! As for the Brenda Shultz-McCarthy person.. Serena in her Masha match hit a 129 mph... fault (just barely a fault) which is like the fastest on record..

miranda_lou
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:32 PM
This is going to be the first Professional Tennis match that i have ever been to...!!
An exhibition and a pro tennis match are two different things.:rolleyes: Personally, I don't like exhibitions but, if you've never been to a tennis tournament, this is close enough to the real thing. Hope you enjoy it!!

Brenda Schultz-McCarthy was the hardest server in her day but she never really won anything because she couldn't move worth a hoot.:lol: They didn't time serves back then but I would bet her fastest serve never made it past 105.:rolleyes: Her average was probably somewhere around 90-95, if that. I remember the good players back then used to just return the ball to her feet and she couldn't do anything with it.:tape: :lol:

Brenda was a nice girl but not a very good tennis player. She was the best the Dutch had though.:o

darrinbaker00
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:47 PM
An exhibition and a pro tennis match are two different things.:rolleyes: Personally, I don't like exhibitions but, if you've never been to a tennis tournament, this is close enough to the real thing. Hope you enjoy it!!

Brenda Schultz-McCarthy was the hardest server in her day but she never really won anything because she couldn't move worth a hoot.:lol: They didn't time serves back then but I would bet her fastest serve never made it past 105.:rolleyes: Her average was probably somewhere around 90-95, if that. I remember the good players back then used to just return the ball to her feet and she couldn't do anything with it.:tape: :lol:

Brenda was a nice girl but not a very good tennis player. She was the best the Dutch had though.:o
Actually, Brenda's fastest serve was a 123 at Wimbledon in '97, which was the all-time women's record until Venus Williams hit a 127 the following year.

Paneru
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:53 PM
"Serena Williams to play in Mark Knowles Charity Invitational"

Four-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams will headline a star-studded Pro-Am Tournament for the 4th Annual Mark Knowles Celebrity Tennis Invitational.

Williams will play the event at Atlantis, December 4, to help raise funds for charity.

The announcement was made on Thursday by Knowles, from Madrid about 11 a.m. EST, minutes after he and his Canadian doubles partner Daniel Nestor won their quarter-final match to enter the semis of the ATP Tennis Masters Series.

"We are thrilled and excited about this year's event, which we believe will be the best in our history," said Knowles, via the telephone .

"Serena is a player whose stardom reaches beyond the courts. She has been an inspiration to so many young women, and her commitment to this event is a compliment to The Bahamas, a country where she feels very much at home, and is reflective of her generous spirit to help do whatever she can for a worthwhile cause," said Knowles, the ATP top-ranked men's doubles player following his win at the US Open in September.

In addition to Williams, Knowles said they have confirmation of participation from Todd Martin, Scott Davis, Xavier Malisse, Fred Stolle, Tom Gullikson, Nestor, Robbie Ginepri, and fellow Bahamian ATP touring pro Mark Merklein.

The fun-filled weekend activities will include matches among the giants of the tennis world plus Pro-Am matches, a cocktail reception, dinner and live auction, and a chance for a few select juniors to hit with the pros.

"Once again, Atlantis is pleased to host this prestigious event," said Dion Strachan, vice president of resort services. "We believe it is excellent exposure for the island and for the resort as well as supporting a good cause."

Proceeds from the event will go toward Bahamian children's charities and youth sports development.

Knowles is expected to reveal a plan that would eventually make tennis available to every young person in the country who has an interest in the sport.

Other sponsors of the charity event include Tennis Week, Bristol Wines & Spirits, Pictet Bank & Trust Ltd., Oceanic Bank and Trust Ltd., The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, American Airlines, Bank of The Bahamas International and Bank of The Bahamas Trust Limited, Templeton Global Advisors Limited, and HG Christie Ltd.

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM
apart from that exho against the sisters, Anna will also appear at the Roddick charity event in mid Decemeber :)