PDA

View Full Version : Jack Layton goes to my gym

alexusjonesfan
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Yeah, it's probably not that big of a deal but I was a little surprised to see Jack Layton working out at my Y without an entourage or any pretensions. Even I had more expensive clothes on :o Anyhoo, he was very approachable and chatted with pretty much anyone that wanted his attention. He even had to call for a ride to get home :eek:

PS. If you're not Canadian or unfamiliar with Canadian politics, the above will make no sense to you

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:11 AM
wow. when was this? I hope not during the weekday

alexusjonesfan
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:20 AM
This was today at the Metro central Y a couple of hours ago ;)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
so that's what he does when he's not in the HOC.

cellophane
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM
*One more reason to move to Toronto*I like my Ottawa, thank you. ;) :p Although, never judge before visiting. Can't believe in my 6 years here I've not been there. :lol: Anyone else heard the news about Carolyn Parrish? :tape: :haha:

alexusjonesfan
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Oh dear what did Carolyn say now :o

I wanted to go up to Layton and say: "you should have a bodyguard or something, just in case some psycho right-winger tries to take a shot at you"...but then I realized we were in the heart of queerville and any psycho right-winger would rather not go through all the trouble for fear of catching 'gay':tape:

cellophane
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:36 AM
http://www.canada.com/news/national/story.html?id=679d5f15-6f3d-4e27-99e8-f4f87071edc8

Although, you might know... :lol: :tape:

I wanted to go up to Layton and say: "you should have a bodyguard or something, just in case some psycho right-winger tries to take a shot at you"...but then I realized we were in the heart of queerville and any psycho right-winger would rather not go through all the trouble for fear of catching 'gay':tape:
:lol:

alexusjonesfan
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Whoa, that's the first time I've witnessed an official ousting :o

I wish I'd watched that skit, they probably won't air it again to avoid controversy :rolleyes:

btw wtf is up with Rick Mercer's Monday report? I've only seen one episode but it just seems like 22 minutes Part deux. What's the difference :shrug:

cellophane
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Whoa, that's the first time I've witnessed an official ousting :o

I wish I'd watched that skit, they probably won't air it again to avoid controversy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :haha: Yeah, probably... :rolleyes:

btw wtf is up with Rick Mercer's Monday report? I've only seen one episode but it just seems like 22 minutes Part deux. What's the difference :shrug:I never really watched / watch either. :o ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Glad to hear about Carolyn getting the boot. That last thing we need is somebody in a position like that spouting off antiamerican comments :rolleyes:

AjdeNate!
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Jack Layton
HOC

:confused:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Crazy Canuck
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:51 AM
For some reason I find the idea of Jack Layton working out at the local Y pretty amusing. Can't he afford to go to a more exclusive gym? Then again, he is NDP, I guess that's against his principles, as the "common man" and all ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:51 AM
I like Layton, btw. Tell him that Rebecca says "hi".

Captain.Canada
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Jack Layton
HOC

:confused:

Jack Layton is the Leader of the NDP (New Democratic Party)... a left-wing party... kinda like Nader's party in the US I guess except this party gets more votes.

HOC is the House of Commons. The equivalent of the House of Reps in the states.

AjdeNate!
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Jack Layton is the Leader of the NDP (New Democratic Party)... a left-wing party... kinda like Nader's party in the US I guess except this party gets more votes.

HOC is the House of Commons. The equivalent of the House of Reps in the states.
Nathan:
Thanks for clarifying, I was confused. :p Make sense now.

Cheers,
Nathan :lol:

Hulet
Nov 20th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Jack Layton's riding is three or four blocks away from mine. I saw him during the last election while he was campaigning in the "other" China Town on Broadview. Unfortunately, I was on streetcar so can't meet him.

I like his wife much better than him, though. Olivia Chow is one of the my few favourite politicians. Too bad she always seems to fail on federal elections by narrow margines. :(

And, allez carolyne. :)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 20th, 2004, 04:07 AM
I take it that you support her actions? My problem with her is not her opinion, but how she choses to express it. Her conduct recently and in the past is not appropriate for somebody in her position. Our relationship with the USA is *extremely* important, whether we like their foriegn policy and Bush or not.

¤CharlDa¤
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I really like the man...When he came to *tout le monde en parle* here in quebec, he really was interesting and funny!

Hulet
Nov 20th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I take it that you support her actions? My problem with her is not her opinion, but how she choses to express it. Her conduct recently and in the past is not appropriate for somebody in her position. Our relationship with the USA is *extremely* important, whether we like their foriegn policy and Bush or not.
For me, it's sort of the opposite - I might not agree with all her opinions, but I respect that she chose to express it. She is not like most of the rest of the Liberal backbenchers. If she disagrees with her caucus, she doesn't mind voicing it and doesn't feel obligated to shut her mouth for the sake of loyality to the party (in the end that's what has got her evicted out of her party rather than whatever she said about Bush). Look at the missile defence issue, for example. Before Carolyn jumped in with her "coalition of the idiots" comments, this was a strictly NDP issue and no one (the media and government) was paying attention as usual. After that comment though, other joined in the fray - and even the conservatives now want to vote on it on parliament. So, like it or not, her tantrums have some positive effects on what is debated in Ottawa.