PDA

View Full Version : Kylie Minogue hoping to release jazz album as her next release

MLF
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Apparently Kylie wants to do a set of jazz standards once she's finished with the promo of 'Ultimate Kylie' and the Greatest Hits tour.

In Australia's Herald Sun today, Kylie admits to having recorded some jazz standards and to considering moving into a more 'mature' area of the music industry following the end of the current greatest hits project.Following rumours a few months ago of the release of a jazz album next year, Kylie tells writer Cameron Adams:

"I've done some different jazz and cabaret recordings, which I know sounds terrible when you say it . . ."

She previewed her jazz flirtations at a party for fashion label Chloe in Paris, performing cover songs including Peel Me a Grape.

Pushed, she admits to wanting to take an extended break, but not retire.

"I don't think I would retire from pop. I honestly don't know. I'm not good at projecting the future. There are a lot more pressing matters in the meantime, but when I reach that stage, that's what inspires me: the unknown. What will I do?

"But I enjoyed (jazz) and it is the most unlikely thing for me to do, but when I did it, it was received really well. And because it's so unlikely, it worked."

Kylie recorded a handful of jazz standards to see how they went.

"I had no intention of talking about it but they are done, just as demos. A lot of research has to go into recording any of those standards and in the process of doing that I felt really challenged, really inspired and, surprisingly, some songs I thought would suit me didn't and others I thought 'Hmm' worked really well.

"I had the internet going, books going, piles of CDs and DVDs - you need to respect that genre and do your homework. I know there's a stigma attached to doing that kind of music, I'm sure some jazz purists would be up in arms, but I've had challenges and obstacles like that all along. I've just dabbled in it. It might lead nowhere, but at the time I had a week and thought that's what I would do.

"I mean, I know it's trendy now and you don't want to look like you're getting on a bandwagon. But even back to interpreting I Should Be So Lucky as a torch song or Better the Devil You Know as a big swing tap number, it started then.

"It's a strong a reference as rock and roll or dance music. As a vocalist it's so challenging to take a standard that's called a standard for a very good reason - you don't want to veer off too much from it - and yet the point is that everyone has to interpret it in their way.

"There's a contradiction there that is really compelling."

Until then, Kylie will get her hits out for a tour next year.

"At the moment we're faced with the problem that I've had so many hits you can't physically do them all in a two-hour show. But that's a great problem to have."

JonBcn
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Well, if Westlife can get away with that crime against humanity of a latest album, she might as well have a go...

Kart
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Kylie :rolleyes:.

Give it up you should know by now where your sucess lies.

Dave B
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM
I try to always be reasonalbe...and logically this sounds silly but...

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: KYLIE :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Tochio
Nov 21st, 2004, 06:23 AM
KYLIE with Jazz song.
Oh i can't wait for it. :bounce:

heidi2
Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
KYLIE with Jazz song.
Oh i can't wait for it. :bounce:

----------------
I totally agree! :hearts:
kYLIE wiil give it go ! :kiss: :hearts:

QUEEN KYLIE FOREVER! :worship:

Dava
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM
You should have seen the interview with amy winehouse when she was told about this :haha: She looked like shed been told about the death of a family member :lol: