PDA

View Full Version : What language(s) do you want to learn?

Warrior
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I speak three languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. Right now I learn Spanish. After that, I want to learn Japanese.

*abby*
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
romanian

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I wish I could speak Dutch!! :(

cheesestix
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I speak three languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. Right now I learn Spanish. After that, I want to learn Japanese.

Ya gavaryu sovsem nimnoga pa-Russki.

Y hablo un poco de espanol...pero es mas que mi "Russian".

I also know very few phrases in Polish and Hindi, but not really enough to mention.

Intend to learn more Russian if time ever permits. Too many things to do.

beauty_is_pink
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Russian, Slovak, French
:hearts:

canadian_bass_2
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:49 PM
French so that I can work here in Quebec, German so that I can live in the Germanic countries, and Polish so that I can feel connected to my polish background.

PointBlank
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Русский бурит. :yawn: :p .. I still have a major problem in Ukrainian..I learned it growing up but I was only there till two so I only know like "dobry" is good, etc. but Russian came easier to me..Id love to learn Ukrainian because I am Ukrainian

Frank
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Russian in any case. Maybe some other East-European languages like Ukrainian.

And I would still like to perfect my English.

Dirty Sanchez, why Dutch?

Alvarillo
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM
I speak Spanish, English and some French and I want to learn Italian ...

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:13 PM
I'd like to learn Sanskrit, the mother of Europe's languages.

smarties
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM
German!!!

Sabazius
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I'd like to Dutch, or French :D

DutchieGirl
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I'm learning Dutch at the moment. I had learnt some German before, but now I've pretty much forgotten it all, so I'd like to pick that up again and also I'd like to learn Swedish and Italian. :scratch: Some pretty weird choces there, I know! ;)

Hulet
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:07 AM
I would like to speak Russian.

Barrie_Dude
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Italian

Hachiko
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Czech.

Grohl
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM
italian

Pamela Shriver
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:37 AM
English.

Sam L
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:41 AM
German.

Guten Tag!! :wavey:

salima
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Just now I can't find any free space in my head to a new language, but I am still trying to improve my Russian (not difficult as I started on null)

I would like to learn more Uzbek or maybe Turk, at least up to a level that I could follow what people are talking about:cool:

"Sluggy"
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:56 AM
I speak french and some german. I suppose if it were easy, Id like to learn Spanish, so i can communicate when i retire to Puerto Rico

Tenisci
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Want To Learn Czech And Finnish

Hachiko
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I would also like to learn Slovak.

2ace2
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I can speak Dutch, English, French and German and in the future I want to learn Chinese and/or Swedish. Maybe Spanish too

jcaprulez
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
I only speak english. Learned german at school but forgot it all. Don't really want a to learn a language.

Tenisci
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Also Polish

WANTED
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
i want to learn spanish and german

Cuckoo
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
I Know English and am learning Japanese, had to take a break from it this year cos damn corrospondence school fucked up the course.

Would like to have a crack at Chinese, it's the language of the future.

spindoctor
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Sign language in French and English.

Habsudovafan
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Italian, Slovak and Russian. (if any other it had to be a roman or slavic language)

Maajken
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
i speak dutch, english, german and french. ill be learning finnish next year and i'd also love to speak spanish, russian and swedish

-Em-
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
i speak engish, polish and german. i learn swedish at the moment. i used to learn french, but i can't say i can speak it, so it would be the first one i'd like to learn....and then i'd like to learn two more...i'll probably choose two out of these: hungarian, russian, dutch, italian, norwegian, finnish...

Mattographer
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Sign language in French and English.
Hmm, only one person from this board is keen to learning for sign language? :o That's stink! Sign language is a really beautiful language of all them! :p

Mattographer
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:37 AM
I want to learn ASL (American Sign Language) when I go to America for a visit ;)

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Russian in any case. Maybe some other East-European languages like Ukrainian.

And I would still like to perfect my English.

Dirty Sanchez, why Dutch?
Well I'm over in the Netherlands so often that I'd love to be able to speak a bit of the language. I don't even know the basics like "Hello" "Goodbye" "Thank You" etc :o :( I normally end up saying it in German or English! :rolleyes:

Also, I would really like to move to Holland in the future and it would be a lot easier if I knew the language so I could get by. :)

And your English seems pretty perfect to me already! :yeah:

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Well I'm over in the Netherlands so often that I'd love to be able to speak a bit of the language. I don't even know the basics like "Hello" "Goodbye" "Thank You" etc :o :( I normally end up saying it in German or English! :rolleyes:

Also, I would really like to move to Holland in the future and it would be a lot easier if I knew the language so I could get by. :)

And your English seems pretty perfect to me already! :yeah: Thanks for the compliment, but there's room for a lot of improvement. You never stop learning new vocabulary and I have trouble building up sentences as well every now and then. ;)

How come you're here so often? For your job or something?

And to get you on the way:

Hello = Hallo
Goodbye = Tot ziens
Thank you = Bedankt

;)

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Lol, well your English seems great to me! :p Better than certain English people that I know! ;) :lol:

Well it's just basically that my family are obsessed with the Netherlands so we always go there for a weekend away or a long holiday, always to different parts and we love it every time! I go more than the rest of my family because I go with my mates as well, like last time I was in Amsterdam! :)

:yeah: Thanks, I'll use Bedankt a lot! I saw Tot ziens written down in a lot of places so I think I should've worked out what it was! :o

I was just thinking, it would also be good for me to speak Dutch so that I could understand the 2 Ajax DVD's that I have! :lol:

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Lol, well your English seems great to me! :p Better than certain English people that I know! ;) :lol:

Well it's just basically that my family are obsessed with the Netherlands so we always go there for a weekend away or a long holiday, always to different parts and we love it every time! I go more than the rest of my family because I go with my mates as well, like last time I was in Amsterdam! :)

:yeah: Thanks, I'll use Bedankt a lot! I saw Tot ziens written down in a lot of places so I think I should've worked out what it was! :o

I was just thinking, it would also be good for me to speak Dutch so that I could understand the 2 Ajax DVD's that I have! :lol: Oh, thanks for the compliment again. :)

But writing English is a lot easier than speaking it of course. When I get stuck when writing I get plenty of time to think it over again, search a word up in a dictionary, read the sentence again and then approve it. When you get stuck while speaking it, there is this time pressure and then sometimes you just are totally lost. :p

Haha! Why is your family obsessed with The Netherlands? :p
I'm glad you like it here in any case. ;)

You're welcome. You can say "Dank u wel" as well, instead of bedankt. Dank u wel is more formal. ;)

Oh you have Ajax DVD's? Haha! You sure have taste when it comes to football. :p
And if you want anything translated, just ask. As long as it's not huge essays of course. :p

irishgirl
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I really want to learn French I think it is a beautiful language. I would love to be able to speak Irish/Gaeilge, I''m ashamed that I can only string a basic conversation together. It's a very important part of our heritage but I just can't get my head around it, it's very difficult :(

Chunchun
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Japanese, French, Russian :)

and also speak my Putonghua better

Cassius
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I speak English and a little French, and I would like to re-learn French (I've not been to France for years, and I've had no-one to practice with, so I've forgotten all about how to structure sentences etc.).
I would also like to be able to speak Russian, Turkish, Japanese, and German so I can shout effectively at people.

NFFC_FAN
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Don't speak German with them - you could end up getting lynched!! :p

I'm doing Dutch as one of my final year modules. Obviously it's got Germanic roots, so it is manageable, but nog moeilijk... ;)

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM

I'm doing Dutch as one of my final year modules. Obviously it's got Germanic roots, so it is manageable, but nog moeilijk... ;) Haha! Yes, we Dutchies hate everything German. :devil:

Nah, it's not that bad. We just hate their football players. ;)

En kan je deze zin begrijpen? :p

NFFC_FAN
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Haha! Yes, we Dutchies hate everything German. :devil:

Nah, it's not that bad. We just hate their football players. ;)

En kan je deze zin begrijpen? :p

Ja, ik kan dat zin en veel meer begrijpen... :p

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Ja, ik kan dat zin en veel meer begrijpen... :p It's "deze zin", you suck at Dutch. :p ;)

NFFC_FAN
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM
It's "deze zin", you suck at Dutch. :p ;)

:o

I thought "deze" meant this and "dat" meant that??

If you think my writing is bad, you should hear me speak it... :p ;) :o

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM

If you think my writing is bad, you should hear me speak it... :p ;) :o Haha! Don't worry, everybody would have understand what you said. ;)

There isn't really a rule for when to use "deze" and when to use "dat". I just use these two from experience alone. I know which one to use for what word, but don't ask me how I know. And that's the nice thing about English, you just put "that" in front of everything and it's ok. In most languages it's really difficult to tell what to use. Life in French "le" and "la", in German "die", "das" and "der" and in Dutch "de", "het" and "een". Often the only way to learn that is by getting in contact with the language really often and learn through experience.

And I love accents, so that isn't a problem. :p

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Oh, thanks for the compliment again. :)

But writing English is a lot easier than speaking it of course. When I get stuck when writing I get plenty of time to think it over again, search a word up in a dictionary, read the sentence again and then approve it. When you get stuck while speaking it, there is this time pressure and then sometimes you just are totally lost. :p

Haha! Why is your family obsessed with The Netherlands? :p
I'm glad you like it here in any case. ;)

You're welcome. You can say "Dank u wel" as well, instead of bedankt. Dank u wel is more formal. ;)

Oh you have Ajax DVD's? Haha! You sure have taste when it comes to football. :p
And if you want anything translated, just ask. As long as it's not huge essays of course. :p
Lol, well Ok then but your writing of English is still very good! ;)

Well I'm not sure why they are really! It's just we love the Dutch people as they always seem so friendly and just the way of life is so cool! We're going to Rotterdam next summer because we've only driven through there and not actually spent time there, although I think my mum did when she was a child!

Cool! :yeah: Maybe I should start keeping a little dictionary where I can add every bit of Dutch I learn! :p "Hallo", "Tot Ziens", "Bedankt" and "Dank u wel"... I'm ready to visit again! ;) Any other phrases or words you want to give me? ;) Actually what is "Would you like a bag?" because I always get asked that when I'm buying things but I don't know what it is! :o

And yes, I have 2 Ajax Dvd's... the review of the 2002/2003 season and the review of the 2003/2004 season! The language doesn't matter most of the time because I don't need to understand the commentary to enjoy the football but when they do long interviews with Ronald Koeman or Rafael Van Der Vaart it can get a bit boring! :p I look forward for when Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Steven Pienaar speaks so I can understand what they're saying! ;)

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Lol, I know that's what I thought but I just hoped it was similar enough to Dutch that they'd understand.... and I hoped they'd appreciate me attempting to speak a different language to them! :p Normally they just reply in English and everything's sorted! :o ;)

2ace2
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM

If you think my writing is bad, you should hear me speak it... :p ;) :oActually you're not that way off. You could also say "die" instead of "deze". And "die" means "that" in English.

*Jool*
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I already know if not speak English, Spanish, French
I 'd like to speak Russian, Italian, Portuguese, Greek , to know Chinese and Japanese writing forms etc...

flyingmachine
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I want to learn Italian, (one of my close friend is a Italian.) relearn French, and Mandarian so I could travel to China one day. (cos I only know cantonese, English and little bit of German. :o )

Frank
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Lol, well Ok then but your writing of English is still very good! ;)

Well I'm not sure why they are really! It's just we love the Dutch people as they always seem so friendly and just the way of life is so cool! We're going to Rotterdam next summer because we've only driven through there and not actually spent time there, although I think my mum did when she was a child!

Cool! :yeah: Maybe I should start keeping a little dictionary where I can add every bit of Dutch I learn! :p "Hallo", "Tot Ziens", "Bedankt" and "Dank u wel"... I'm ready to visit again! ;) Any other phrases or words you want to give me? ;) Actually what is "Would you like a bag?" because I always get asked that when I'm buying things but I don't know what it is! :o

And yes, I have 2 Ajax Dvd's... the review of the 2002/2003 season and the review of the 2003/2004 season! The language doesn't matter most of the time because I don't need to understand the commentary to enjoy the football but when they do long interviews with Ronald Koeman or Rafael Van Der Vaart it can get a bit boring! :p I look forward for when Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Steven Pienaar speaks so I can understand what they're saying! ;) Thanks again for the compliment. :)

Not all the Dutch are friendly though. :p
But I've heard that many times before, so maybe it's true. ;)

You could do that. It can be handy to write certain things down when trying to learn a language. Not only just words, but also how to construct certain sentences.

Something like "Wilt u er een tasje bij?", or "Zou u er een tasje bij willen?". The first is more common though. ;)

They should bring out these DVD's in English. Or at least with English subtitles.

OUT!
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM
German but it is too difficult :(

exoneuk
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I can speak (not including English):

German, French and a little bit of Japanese

I'm looking to learning more Japanese though and I don't know why butpart of me thinks: "I'd like to speak Russian" - but only because I had to speak with a Russian/English accent in a school play and I loved doing it.

Japanese mainly cos I'm interested in the culture and way too huge a fan of Manga!!

Geoffry
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I started taking Spanish courses this year, so I'd like to continue that. And maybe later I'd like to learn Swedish (just love the country :hearts: )

daniela86
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Well,I can speak perfectly french and serbian :)
I am used to learning english and spanish at school.I love it and I would like to improve especially in spanish coz my grammar is awful.
I dream of speaking italian:hearts: :hearts: the most beautiful and romantic language IMO.

ßcoene
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I can speak French but not enough, I would like te be really good at it.

I would also like to be able to speak a little Spanish.

propi
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Spanish (mother tongue) then I'm suposed to be able to speak English, French and Italian :tape: :tape: :tape:
Would like to learn Arabic, Russian, German, Portuguese or Chinese.
I had a small contact with Dutch last year and it seemed interesting but hard for someone who's used to Romance languages :p

flyingmachine
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:57 PM
German but it is too difficult :(
German gammar can be difficult especially with three genders der, die and das :confused: and all these ein's (a's) I'm still confuse on which ein is which and which ein's should I used. :confused:
Part from this part and past tense in which you put the verb at the last part of the sentence and put "ge" part at the tense is German overall is O.K.
There are many words which is very similar to English and it's a very logical language.

Especially if you compare somthing like Chinese. :rolleyes: Despite Chinese has a basic gammar there is no past, present or future tense, no genders, and no "a". Because they don't very have an alphabet so spellings is something of a "degree educational" process. With many words sound the same but spell very differently and off course with different meaning too. Also other thing with Chinese a long with other south east Asian language (but not Japanese or Koeran) is tone. Which is one of the season why Europeans found it hard to master it. Different tone can be a different word even if they sound the same.

If anyone who wants to learn Chinese well good luck to them. Depsite is a difficult language. Chinese is indeed a very beautiful language especially on literature and poetry Chinese has a very rich literature cuture both old and new and certianly looks very beautiful. :wavey:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I wana learn to speak chinese and/or japanese. I think I'll TRY and learn one in uni.

Mrs. Peel
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM
I speak German, Spanish and some Italian & French.

I would love to learn Dutch right now more than anything, then Russian :hearts:

NFFC_FAN
Nov 21st, 2004, 05:19 PM
Actually you're not that way off. You could also say "die" instead of "deze". And "die" means "that" in English.

So, it's right to say:

Ik kan de / deze / die zin begrijpen

but, you'd say:

Ik heb het / dit / dat verhaal verteld

Or not?? :o

NFFC_FAN
Nov 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM
And I love accents, so that isn't a problem. :p

Well that's good, you have to be a great fan of accents to be able to understand me... :p ;)

Frank
Nov 21st, 2004, 06:23 PM
So, it's right to say:

Ik kan de / deze / die zin begrijpen

but, you'd say:

Ik heb het / dit / dat verhaal verteld

Or not?? :o :yeah:

Frank
Nov 21st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Well that's good, you have to be a great fan of accents to be able to understand me... :p ;) I like East European accents. :p

FedererFan84
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:52 PM
I speak English and French and I really want to learn, and teach Sign Language. I think the deaf culture is amazing and fascinating.

ics_seitan
Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
I speak English, I'm learning Spanish, and I want to learn Finnish and Norwegian so I can understand what Nightwish and Dimmu Borgir are talking about on their DVDs :D

Tochio
Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:56 AM
French or German is ok for me.