PDA

View Full Version : Another record for Lindsay!!

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:40 PM
From Bob Larsonīs tennisnewsletter:

Ranking Notes
In a week when only about a dozen Top 100 players were in action, and no one has much to defend, we can't say much here. One minor footnote might be in order: As you know, Lindsay Davenport ends the year at #1. She has 4760 points. That is the lowest point total for a year-end #1 since additive rankings were established in 1997 -- this despite the fact that the points table has been cranked up several times since then. The previous low was held by none other than Davenport, in 2001, when she had 4902 points -- about 5000-5100 on today's points tables. Other numbers: Martina Hingis ended 1997 with 6264; on today's points table, that would be close to 7000. Davenport ended 1998 with 5654. Hingis ended 1999 with 6074, and had 6180 at the end of 2000. Serena Williams ended 2002 with 6080. Justine Henin-Hardenne had 6628 at the end of last year (the theoretical record, though slightly behind Hingis when point inflation is taken into account).

More telling: We've often had a #2 player with more points than Davenport this year. In 1998, Hingis was #2 with 5366 (about 5600 in today's points). Davenport had 4841 as the 1999 year-end #2, and 5022 as the 2000 #2. Jennifer Capriati had 4892 as the 2001 #2. Venus Williams ended 2002 with 5140 points. And Kim Clijsters had 6553 at the end of last year.

Thus, although Davenport ends the year at #1, her year by historical standards was that of a weak #2 player!

cheo23
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:52 PM
From Bob Larsonīs tennisnewsletter:

Ranking Notes
In a week when only about a dozen Top 100 players were in action, and no one has much to defend, we can't say much here. One minor footnote might be in order: As you know, Lindsay Davenport ends the year at #1. She has 4760 points. That is the lowest point total for a year-end #1 since additive rankings were established in 1997 -- this despite the fact that the points table has been cranked up several times since then. The previous low was held by none other than Davenport, in 2001, when she had 4902 points -- about 5000-5100 on today's points tables. Other numbers: Martina Hingis ended 1997 with 6264; on today's points table, that would be close to 7000. Davenport ended 1998 with 5654. Hingis ended 1999 with 6074, and had 6180 at the end of 2000. Serena Williams ended 2002 with 6080. Justine Henin-Hardenne had 6628 at the end of last year (the theoretical record, though slightly behind Hingis when point inflation is taken into account).

More telling: We've often had a #2 player with more points than Davenport this year. In 1998, Hingis was #2 with 5366 (about 5600 in today's points). Davenport had 4841 as the 1999 year-end #2, and 5022 as the 2000 #2. Jennifer Capriati had 4892 as the 2001 #2. Venus Williams ended 2002 with 5140 points. And Kim Clijsters had 6553 at the end of last year.

Thus, although Davenport ends the year at #1, her year by historical standards was that of a weak #2 player!
But how many Tournaments DID Martina HIngis Play in 1998?
Lindsays ONly Played like 16 or 17 tournaments this Year Compared to Players that Played 20+ this YEAR!

xan
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Just goes to show there's been no near-dominant player this year.

Maajken
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:59 PM
exactly. the reason why the points have gotten lower overall is simply because the competition has gotten tougher. i'd say it's a rather nice record to be holding :)

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:59 PM
But how many Tournaments DID Martina HIngis Play in 1998?
Lindsays ONly Played like 16 or 17 tournaments this Year Compared to Players that Played 20+ this YEAR!

Donīt think it was much more than Lindsay had this year....and certainly Venus in ī02 played waayyy less than Lindsay this year.

It was just an interesting comment that I read.

martirogi
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM
exactly. the reason why the points have gotten lower overall is simply because the competition has gotten tougher. i'd say it's a rather nice record to be holding :)

how is it in any way a nice record :rolleyes:

toobaxx
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:26 PM
how is it in any way a nice record :rolleyes:
with four different grandslam winners that is a nice record.....

martirogi
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM
with four different grandslam winners that is a nice record.....

thats true i never thought of it that way, if i was number one if i would definately brag about having the record for the fewest amount of points ever

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM
At least this is something she can brag about.....I guess.

Maajken
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
how is it in any way a nice record :rolleyes:did you even bother to read?

lindsayno1
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
It was just an interesting comment that I read.

how convenient it was about lindsay!

well noone else has done as well as that this year. So everyones weak then?!

cheo23
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
At least this is something she can brag about.....I guess.
LOL@U...THat is NOT THE ONLY THING SHE CAN BRAG ABOUT!
Here U GO again DISSIN LINDSays YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She can BRAG About GOIN UNDEFEATED AGAINST THE WILLIAM SISTERS
DEFEATIN THEM IN SUCKY TIER 2s & in a GRAND SLAM & DEFEATIN
SERENA(YEC)

lindsayno1
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM
yeah. shes got a lot more to brag about than some if she wants to!

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM
LOL@U...THat is NOT THE ONLY THING SHE CAN BRAG ABOUT!
Here U GO again DISSIN LINDSays YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She can BRAG About GOIN UNDEFEATED AGAINST THE WILLIAM SISTERS
DEFEATIN THEM IN SUCKY TIER 2s & in a GRAND SLAM & DEFEATIN
SERENA(YEC)

You changed colors, I see.....

It wasnīt even me made the point, why you attacking me. Of course Lindsay can brag about going undefeated the sisters this year. But when you see who more have beaten them this year, makes you wonder how much an achievement it really was.....I guess for Lindsay itīd be a huge one, after not beating since Venus was 20 and Serena was 19, soooo...

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
how convenient it was about lindsay!

well noone else has done as well as that this year. So everyones weak then?!

Some moreso than others....some didnīt perform well consistently but peaked at the majors, some were consistently good for most of the year but didnīt really peak anywhere....the last one has always applied for Lindsayīs career and thatīs why she ended as no.1...

cheo23
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM
You changed colors, I see.....

It wasnīt even me made the point, why you attacking me. Of course Lindsay can brag about going undefeated the sisters this year. But when you see who more have beaten them this year, makes you wonder how much an achievement it really was.....I guess for Lindsay itīd be a huge one, after not beating since Venus was 20 and Serena was 19, soooo...
THE REASon I"m "ATTACKIN U" is Because U Said "AT LEAST its Something she can BRAG about...I GUESS"
Isn't THat so RUDE To say?
NObody on the TOur can Say they went unDEFEATED the William SISTERS
this YEAR
NObody on the TOUR Can Say they WOn 4 STRAIGHT TITLES In a ROW
Along that AMAZIN STREAK she DEFEATED Venus, SERENA, Myskina, Elena Dementieva;players that are in the Top 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THis year has BEEn VERy Competitive the RUSSIANs IMPROVIN & Alot of DIFFERENT WINNERS compared to the PREVIOUS YEARS ON THE WTA TOUR
By the way ..she has a GREAT RECORD Against the TOp 10 Players besides QUEEN JuSTINE & that SENSATIONAL MARIA SHARAPOVA!!!!!!!!!!
Can Anyone on the TOUR BESIDES Justine Say THAT? Okay THEN!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!
Lindsay DESERVES THAT #1 ..SHE WAs very CONSISTENT!

VS Fan
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:41 PM
What it amounts to is that NOW there about 10-12 VERY competetive players in the mix rather than just 4-5. Points will be spread more amoung these players.

Winning #1 with fewer points is NOT anything to be ashamed of.
I would think that if anything, this accomplishment is even more difficult.
Congratulations Lindsay!

lindsayno1
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Congratulations Lindsay!
:worship:

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM
THE REASon I"m "ATTACKIN U" is Because U Said "AT LEAST its Something she can BRAG about...I GUESS"
Isn't THat so RUDE To say?
NObody on the TOur can Say they went unDEFEATED the William SISTERS
this YEAR
NObody on the TOUR Can Say they WOn 4 STRAIGHT TITLES In a ROW
Along that AMAZIN STREAK she DEFEATED Venus, SERENA, Myskina, Elena Dementieva;players that are in the Top 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THis year has BEEn VERy Competitive the RUSSIANs IMPROVIN & Alot of DIFFERENT WINNERS compared to the PREVIOUS YEARS ON THE WTA TOUR
By the way ..she has a GREAT RECORD Against the TOp 10 Players besides QUEEN JuSTINE & that SENSATIONAL MARIA SHARAPOVA!!!!!!!!!!
Can Anyone on the TOUR BESIDES Justine Say THAT? Okay THEN!
GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!
Lindsay DESERVES THAT #1 ..SHE WAs very CONSISTENT!

O.k...but I never said that Lindsay didnīt deserve no.1....this year there were no clear-cut no.1 player, so it went to the most consistent one...

cheo23
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:54 PM
O.k...but I never said that Lindsay didnīt deserve no.1....this year there were no clear-cut no.1 player, so it went to the most consistent one...
U didn't IMPLY she Didn't DESERVE The #1 But U said
AT least its SOMETHING SHE CAN BRAG ABOUT!
GO Look at her RESults ..She can "BRAG About ALOt of STUff THis YEAR!!"
CONgratulations Lindsay ON U're AWEsome YEAR!
HOpefully durin the Majors U don't INjure Yourself or have
ANy RAin Delays( Wimbledon) because U could have won that MATCH!

cheo23
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM
What it amounts to is that NOW there about 10-12 VERY competetive players in the mix rather than just 4-5. Points will be spread more amoung these players.

Congratulations Lindsay!
:worship: EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! CONgratulations LINDSAY!
GO WORK ON U're FOOTWORK & COurt COVERAGE!
I KNOw U CAN OVERCOME THAT ASPECT OF U're Powerful GAME!!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I don't know why people have to diss Davenport. The truth is, this was a very weird year with no-one dominating, 4 different slam winners, with only Elena Dementieva making 2 slam finals. So obviously the person who ended this year #1 wouldn't have a high points score. It doesn't mean its a bad thing!

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM
U didn't IMPLY she Didn't DESERVE The #1 But U said
AT least its SOMETHING SHE CAN BRAG ABOUT!
GO Look at her RESults ..She can "BRAG About ALOt of STUff THis YEAR!!"
CONgratulations Lindsay ON U're AWEsome YEAR!
HOpefully durin the Majors U don't INjure Yourself or have
ANy RAin Delays( Wimbledon) because U could have won that MATCH!

Yep...congrats!!

irishgirl
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM
It's been a very competitive year I don't think no.1 has been diminished in any way by the final points total. Anyway Lindsay doesn't brag about anything!! And sur Bandabou didn't Serena have an excellent year.....

bis2806
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM
bandabou, you're just a pathetic cow! just coz your serena lost to lindsay doesn't mean you can take it out on Lindsay the Queen :)

WTAaddict
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Lindsay is the queen now!!!!! Let the losers cry!!!!!!!

Wha!!!!! bandabou!!!! the loser!!!!! wha!!!!!!!!!

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM
again....it was just a comment that I thought was worth sharing with the board...

Ya all donīt have to go down on me all angrily like this.

Lemonskin.
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Oh well. All Lindsay's done is go out there and play the best she can.

...and she just happened to come up with the #1 rank.

It's not her fault that it's with less points than someone in another year.

Ya all donīt have to go down on me all angrily like this
Well, it DID sound like you were having a big go at Lindsay with the below quote:

I thought you were having a go anyway.

cmon
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Bandabou putting the title "Another record for Lindsay!!" was stirring! and I thought that Irish girl was the only wooden spoon around here :lol: ( is maith leat Irish girl)

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Lemonskin...I just copied the article..

Joana
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM
She has more points than everyody else. End of story.

Joni Mitchell
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Yep, perish the thought. That pea of a brain of yours, could actually come up with a deliberation - all on it’s very own.

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:29 PM
cmon.....but it IS/was.....another record for Lindsay.

Pamela Shriver
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Another record for Lindsay!!

Which record on CD has she bought now? Has madonna released a new single?

Joni Mitchell
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:41 PM
cmon.....but it IS/was.....another record for Lindsay.

Look! Put it to bed.

bis2806
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Ya right, what's the sarcastic title for then ?

fammmmedspin
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know why people have to diss Davenport. The truth is, this was a very weird year with no-one dominating, 4 different slam winners, with only Elena Dementieva making 2 slam finals. So obviously the person who ended this year #1 wouldn't have a high points score. It doesn't mean its a bad thing!
or to put it another way when was there a previous year when so many players had over 3000 points and the number 3 had 4000+......

if so many points are held by numbers 3-6 in the rankings too its hardly surprising number 1 hasn't got many.

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Then why the attack? Itīs just a point.....doesnīt have to mean itīs a bad thing.

finch
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Maybe Serena will be good enough to come back next year (INJURY FREE) and capture a few Tier3 titles. And MAYBE get the #1 ranking. Cause she sure as hell won't win any majors.

You obviously know nothing about tennis, when you feel the need to copy&paste every article, at every opportunity.

mboyle
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:25 PM
ugh goo! Bandabou, do you have anything better to do than to find random statistics to belittle every non-black player in the world?:rolleyes: Get over it. Serena and Venus are not the best right now. Just please accept it and move on. It really really really really REALLY doesn't matter, and you really don't need to go looking for excuses for their fall this year.

bandabou
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Where do I belittle Lindsay mboyle? Itīs just an article that I didnīt even write....and what has Serena and Venus to do with this?

They already I yesterdayīs news....Lindsay, the no.1, the best player in the world, SHE is the news.