PDA

View Full Version : So... who is the best Russian out there??

rhz
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Really hard to pick.. Myskina is the highest ranked... #3 in the world, won French Open, Sharapova Wimbledon plus YEC #4. Kuznetsova US Open #5, Dementieva #6, Finalist French and US Open.

Zvonareva, Petrova, Bovina, Likhotseva or maybe Kournikova??? Safina, Krasnoroutskya? etc. etc. etc ...

Who do you think is the best one and why?????

SJW
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Myskina is the more experienced...still would put my money on her over the rest of them
Kuznetsova has the best all round game then Myskina.

Lemonskin.
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Myskina at the moment.

I'd say Sharapova and Kuzzie would tie for 2nd. If Lena D had any sort of consistently good serve and a bit more mental toughness, she'd be equal 1st.

I'd say...

1. Myskina
2. =Sharapova
2. =Kuznetsova
4. Dementieva
5. Zvonareva

Jeff
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Myskina, and I just love how she has proven everyone wrong. A few years ago nobody gave her a chance, but look at her now. Go girl :wavey:

moby
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM
anastasia... she gets little credit, but i believe she's hasn't dropped out of the top 5 in more than a year.

rhz
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1073437523460_2004/01/10/11s_russiacollage,0.jpg

WANTED
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Svetlana Kunetsova .. she is the best russian girl

lukehingis
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
My favourite is Dementieva, but Myskina is the best. Plays such a tactical game!

lindsayno1
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:34 AM
myskina! I like her style of play

Dementinator
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
well it is a really tough question!!
they all have good points and bad points
Personally (yes i know i am biased) i would say Dementieva has the most natural talent in all my years of watching tennis i have never seen anyone hit shots like she can and her movement is the best in the game ,she is now probably the stongest girl out there and can hit so hard repeatedly is frightening ,her serve has been bad , but look at how far she has got with it!! Take away the good serving from many other players and you are left with not a lot!
Myskina is tactically superb and again gets by with a less than perfect serve and can be a multiple GS winner but she does throw matches away from winning positions!!
Kuzna is totally over rated and not that great ,she got her USO because she had an easy first week and faced less higher oppos than the others then she faced two injured players ,that title ws Linds ,she was killing Kuzna until she got hurt!
Once Kuzna faced a non injured and playing well Lena ,she was destroyed ,she just makes too many errors and goes "shit or bust" all the time!!
Masha is certainly a force to be reckoned with too and time will tell with her!! i dont really count this weeks win as she again woulda been beaten had serena not got injured! she was being trashed in set 3 0-4 ?? but she does have real talent!
So if Lena D gets her serve sorted ,and IMO it is getting better ,heck we had two aces last week! then she will be Russian No 1..
That is jut my opinion and i expect no one will agree with it but ,hey ,thtas what meesage boards are for we can post our opinions!!

Lemonskin.
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I definately agree that if Elena could be #1 Russian BUT:

[1] She needs consistency
[2] She needs a more consistent serve
[3] She needs a "fighter" attitude like Maria or Serena has.

If she had those, she'd be top 3 easy.

She's so naturally talented, but she's not the complete package

Dementinator
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM
i agree with u Lemonskin !!

she needs more consistancy
BUT

there is no better Fighter !!
USO 2004 match with Momo moved me to tears as with gammy leg ,Delhli Belly and Dehydration she still won!!
And came back from love 3 down to win Hasselt so i think she is one of the best fighters.
Problem is...she has to WANT it ,last week she didnt seem to care much and just pootled along ,i know she wasnt very well ,but she just seemed to lose interset ,we all know she can do a lot better than she did ,its just that "could'nt give a shit" Dementieva turned up not "This is mine!!" Dementieva!!
So you are right :worship: but i think her fighting aint a prob ,just her mental attitude sometimes ,that seems to be a general Russian problem to me...they all suffer from that ,look at Zvonerva!! loadsa a talent but what the hell!! and Myskina and sometimes Masha too!! it comes to em all occasionally!!

Captain Dementinator from the Bridge of SS Dementieva..currently 210 miles east of the Bermuda triangle!!

Duramont
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:03 AM
For me the best Russian is:
:worship: ANASTASIA :worship:

But on second place comes: Elena Dementieva :bounce:

Chunchun
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Dementieva, Dementieva & Dementieva :angel:

matthias
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Anastasia :kiss:

Natasc
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Elena Dementieva

Maybe with a better server she can easily be one of the "Top 3". I disagree about Myskina. Sometimes she plays well, sometimes she "block" or "stop" and when she backs, IF she backs, it's worse, she ddoesn't have any "fighter spirit" like Lena D or Masha (or Hewitt). She just "give up". I still ask myself how she can lose in Olympics winning with a 5-1, or how she totaly "block" with Masha in YEC. maybe when she get better in that so she can be my number one.

For me is Lena D and Masha.

Doc
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Will it surprise anyone if I say Maria?

Yes Myskina has a richer array of tactics, more experience, and is still improving her game. Dementieva has amazing groundstrokes and can outhit and outrally nearly anyone on her day.

But neither have the will to win or are the total package that Maria is. Both have weapons missing from their armoury. Elena is hampered by her serve and refusal to adapt it and learn new tricks. Nastya is limited physically as to her power and ability to keep hitting with the big girls for long periods. Both seem to lack the total focus on winning and the potential to use virtually any shot that Maria has.

As for Sveta, Vera, Elena B and the others, the jury is still out. There's great potential, but none has yet demonstrated the consistency and "X factor" needed for the very top.

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Will it surprise anyone if I say Maria?

Yes Myskina has a richer array of tactics, more experience, and is still improving her game. Dementieva has amazing groundstrokes and can outhit and outrally nearly anyone on her day.

But neither have the will to win or are the total package that Maria is. Both have weapons missing from their armoury. Elena is hampered by her serve and refusal to adapt it and learn new tricks. Nastya is limited physically as to her power and ability to keep hitting with the big girls for long periods. Both seem to lack the total focus on winning and the potential to use virtually any shot that Maria has.

As for Sveta, Vera, Elena B and the others, the jury is still out. There's great potential, but none has yet demonstrated the consistency and "X factor" needed for the very top.
Yes I go for Maria too, she has just beaten all the top Russians in a row. Sveta is close behind. Nastya's a great player but pretty inconstant.

mboyle
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Maria is the only one of those to be ranked in the top 30, let alone top ten, at 17. In fact, she reached the top 30 at 16. Maria is by far the youngest slam winner of them all. Maria hits harder than the rest of them. Maria proved that, at her best, she trounces the rest of the Russians. Therefore, Maria is the best Russian.

Spunky83
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Currently Nastya, but she definetly has to step up a bittle, she has a good volley-game and a useful first serve, but she´s not confident enough.

2005 could be a great super-clash year between Masha and Nastya, I am looking forward to it...to quote Xtreme-tennis news: "Who´s the best russian you bitcheos?!?"...lol

JLDementieva
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:17 PM
I say Myskina

Circe
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
i'm tempted to say Myskina, my personal favorite that she is, but i have to give credit to Sharapova as well. she has the will to win that i dont see in some of the other russian girls. myski's losing matches from winning positions is happening too often. she's probably a better player at the moment than the others but sharapova has a mental edge. i'd put them both on the same pedestal.

then we have kuznetsova and dementieva in that order (if dem. had a halfway-respectable serve she'd be a totally different player but its a big if).

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I would say Anastasia on slower surfaces. Maria on faster surfaces.
There are 4 Russians in the top 6. It's very competitive.

tom2791
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Anastasia!

AlexB
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Myskina no doubt

DevilishAttitude
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Out of the list ;)

#1 Dementieva - Good attacker and defender only problem is serve
#2 Myskina - Best defender and great variation only problem is mentally
#3 Sharapova - Best fast-court player in the world lacks movement though
#4 Kuznetsova - Fantastic forehand needs to improve on indoor
#5 Zvonareva - All round excellent metally terrible
#6 Bovina - Big power too inconsisent
#7 Kournikova - Great variety too inconsisent
#8 Petrova - good serve poor mentally
#9 Likhovtseva - good all round too inconsisent

All except Kournikova since she's not playing could be top 15 for a long time IMO :)

Josh810
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:00 PM
It's getting closer, that's for sure, but I give Myskina the slight edge overall.

Becool
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Unfortunely Sharapova..
I still think Kournikova more interesting, enjoyable to watch and more charismatic

deep bass
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Dementieva, with Nastya a close second. Though I really really wanted to vote for Vera.

Oizo
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Nastya and Masha! :kiss:

SzavayFi
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Dementieva has the best groundies, arguably, harts with a combo of most consistent. The serve takes her down. If she impoves that she will be the best russian in the world. Kournikova had the most variety, she could hit any spot in the court unfornately thats not the kind of tennis you want to be play now days. I put Elena D.

AimeeLizAni
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Elena D of course!

Spunky83
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Wow...it´s a tie!!!

Maybe we are all big prophets and those two will be fighting for russian number one or dare I say number one in general. Uhhh...I am sooo looking forward to this clash!

DEETHELICK
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Its between Nastya, ElenaD and Maria. Those three really have something special. Nastya brings her best mostly against other Russians though.

Maria and Elena have the X factor in their games that can take ANY player down.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Myskina at the moment.

I'd say Sharapova and Kuzzie would tie for 2nd. If Lena D had any sort of consistently good serve and a bit more mental toughness, she'd be equal 1st.

I'd say...

1. Myskina
2. =Sharapova
2. =Kuznetsova
4. Dementieva
5. Zvonareva

Kuznetsova?

If Sharapova had started this year with the same points as Myskina, Maria would have beaten her possibly..

But Maria started the year in the 32nd place and Myskina in the the top 5...

fammmmedspin
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Elena Dementieva

Maybe with a better server she can easily be one of the "Top 3". I disagree about Myskina. Sometimes she plays well, sometimes she "block" or "stop" and when she backs, IF she backs, it's worse, she ddoesn't have any "fighter spirit" like Lena D or Masha (or Hewitt). She just "give up". I still ask myself how she can lose in Olympics winning with a 5-1, or how she totaly "block" with Masha in YEC. maybe when she get better in that so she can be my number one.

For me is Lena D and Masha.
Unfortunately the argument you apply to Nastya applies just as much to Elena who doesn't actually get into winning positions v Nastya or fails through the same inability to sustain the level or tiredness or injury when you put her up against Lindsay, Serena, Nastya or Sveta when she runs into them in a final or YEC match.

Nastya in zone with a working serve and not too tired is still ahead of her pack. Sveta seems a bit stop and go which is fine as each "go" stage moves her towards her full capability. Maria is making progress though sporadically which is what you would hope for for her. Elena with a serve is going to be even more deadly with particular players. Nastya on form though is still going to outthink and outfight them unless she goes off, Elena gets a a serve and more unpredictable, Maria gets faster and more imaginative or Sveta gets to her highest level and stays there.

AlexB
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:26 AM
cmon myskina fans lets run this poll via the chicago voting rule, which is "Vote Early and Often" lol

SzavayFi
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Its Elena D, Sharapova, i little inconsistent i must say, Myskina, not just HUGE weapons. Elena D has about it all cept the Service.

Williams Rulez
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Kuz, Maria and Myskina... all have showed ability to be the best... not sure which one is the best though...

alexusjonesfan
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Davenportova

Prizeidiot
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:30 AM
I definately agree that if Elena could be #1 Russian BUT:

[1] She needs consistency
[2] She needs a more consistent serve
[3] She needs a "fighter" attitude like Maria or Serena has.

If she had those, she'd be top 3 easy.

She's so naturally talented, but she's not the complete package

You could not be more right... even on the fighter bit... she is amazing sometimes, but sometimes I think she has a mental block, like with Anastasia at the moment.

Eliminate those poor performances (all the first round losses) and build on her serve and she may find herself at the top.

At present, I will give credit to Svetlana, for having the biggest game out of the Russians. Maybe lacking in complete consistency, but when on her game, she is unreal. (I really didn't want to say that, seeing as I despise her, but oh well)

Daniel
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Myskina :yeah:

G1Player2
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Maria is the only one of those to be ranked in the top 30, let alone top ten, at 17. In fact, she reached the top 30 at 16. Maria is by far the youngest slam winner of them all. Maria hits harder than the rest of them. Maria proved that, at her best, she trounces the rest of the Russians. Therefore, Maria is the best Russian.
Disagree...Maria has not trounced too many Russians...Only Kuznetsova, Myskina and Zvonareva in 1 tournament at the YEC...That's it!

Also, Maria beat them on surfaces that she prefers...Maria loves to play on grass and indoor courts...Therfore, she will have her best results on these surfaces...With the exception of about 3 tournaments this year, Maria has looked unimpressive and I think it is solely because of the court surface...

Maria has a pretty bad hardcourt season losing to every Russian she faced and losses to Mary Pierce and Mashona Washington of all people...Maria may be able to go toe to toe with the Russians on her playing fields i.e indoor, grass, super fast surfaces, but the other Russians won't have a problem when her shots are neutralized such as outdoor hardcourt, rebound ace, or clay...

xan
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Disagree...Maria has not trounced too many Russians...Only Kuznetsova, Myskina and Zvonareva in 1 tournament at the YEC...That's it!

Also, Maria beat them on surfaces that she prefers...Maria loves to play on grass and indoor courts...Therfore, she will have her best results on these surfaces...With the exception of about 3 tournaments this year, Maria has looked unimpressive and I think it is solely because of the court surface...

Maria has a pretty bad hardcourt season losing to every Russian she faced and losses to Mary Pierce and Mashona Washington of all people...Maria may be able to go toe to toe with the Russians on her playing fields i.e indoor, grass, super fast surfaces, but the other Russians won't have a problem when her shots are neutralized such as outdoor hardcourt, rebound ace, or clay...
Actually Maria won the YEC on the slowest indoor hard court on the tour! The surface was a very bad one for her game, and favourable to opponents like Mauresmo, Myskina and Zvonareva who like to get a lot of balls back in play, or put a lot of spin on the ball. Masha's summer troubles were probably more a reaction to the pressures of her new status as a GS Champ.

Having done so well on this surface, I can't wait to see Maria back on the lawns again.

AlexB
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM
cmon its myskina by miles...myskina #3, sharapova #4 ranking and look at 2004 head to head:

vs Myskina 1-3 (including australian open loss and myskina 7-3 sets lead)
vs Kuznetsova 1-1
vs Dementieva 2-0

myskina wins, to use a boxing term, by Knockout

Spunky83
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Actually Maria won the YEC on the slowest indoor hard court on the tour! The surface was a very bad one for her game, and favourable to opponents like Mauresmo, Myskina and Zvonareva who like to get a lot of balls back in play, or put a lot of spin on the ball. Masha's summer troubles were probably more a reaction to the pressures of her new status as a GS Champ.

Having done so well on this surface, I can't wait to see Maria back on the lawns again.

Yeah and even with the balls she hates the most...weird isn´t it?

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Maria had the most consistent year I think won the most tournaments of the Russians plus 2 huge wins the YEC & Wimby:)..she beat Serena twice too:) Myskina is good but is mainly a slow court player although she did win the Kremin Cup..Svetlana is great too after winning in New york I think she'll be better in the future

Mathijs
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Lena for me, but honourable mention, Sharapova, Krasnoroutskaya, Safina and Myskina