PDA

View Full Version : Will Monica Seles return in 2005?

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Yes or no, and why.

LTA Tour
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:24 AM
I think she's gonna try to return for the Aussie circuit, but she'll come back during the clay season.:)

faboozadoo15
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:28 AM
i think at some point in 05 she'll give it her final shot. and we'll all watch hoping she can be as good as she was in 02... i'd be shocked if she could get herself there, but i'm hopeful. tennis to me no longer hinges on one player. i won't be crushed if she never returns, but i think tennis in general would be so much better to have someone like monica back and playing well. plus, she deserves to go out on a high note or at least having fun.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:29 AM
i think at some point in 05 she'll give it her final shot. and we'll all watch hoping she can be as good as she was in 02... i'd be shocked if she could get herself there, but i'm hopeful. tennis to me no longer hinges on one player. i won't be crushed if she never returns, but i think tennis in general would be so much better to have someone like monica back and playing well. plus, she deserves to go out on a high note or at least having fun.
good post

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:29 AM
though i think i'd consider myself 'crushed' if she did call it quits.

faboozadoo15
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:31 AM
though i think i'd consider myself 'crushed' if she did call it quits.
i think im kidding myself by saying i won't be crushed :tape:
it's just that i'll continue to love tennis.
i won't be surprised if i cry a lil the day she does indeed decide that the love story between her and professional tennis is over. :sad:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:35 AM
i think im kidding myself by saying i won't be crushed :tape:
it's just that i'll continue to love tennis.
i won't be surprised if i cry a lil the day she does indeed decide that the love story between her and professional tennis is over. :sad:
yeah thats gonna suck

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:35 AM
I doubt Monica comes back.

I really don't want her to either. I just don't see her wonderful game coming back.
Sadly, it's a strong possibility she wont be the same player... but I want her to try anyway

faboozadoo15
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Sadly, it's a strong possibility she wont be the same player... but I want her to try anyway
for sure. i really hope she realizes that she looks SO great and that it would be a blast just to go back out on tour and enjoy her poplarity and see what happens with her tennis. she could maybe find her third wind :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:38 AM
for sure. i really hope she realizes that she looks SO great and that it would be a blast just to go back out on tour and enjoy her poplarity and see what happens with her tennis. she could maybe find her third wind :lol:
if she made top ten again id be ecstatic lol

bello
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:48 AM
If she can string some good results together it would be awesome to see Monica come back for a last hoora, cos while i also seeing legends struggle at the end of the career, i dont like them to go out the way Seles has either!

Chunchun
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:10 AM
No

AimeeLizAni
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Yes she will, because if she does, I will bump Elia off of my top five Faves to make room for Monica.

WANTED
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:01 AM
no

Great Seles
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:41 AM
The vision never fades. It's that way when a lunatic suddenly emerges from a crowd to destroy his victim, offering shock value at its most severe instant. Always, even years later, you picture the trauma as if it occurred yesterday.

The disheartening truth is that we will never realize how magnificent Monica Seles could have been with a tennis racket clutched in her two-handed grip, amazing when you consider how truly unconquerable she was.

But perhaps because of that terrible day during a WTA Tour event in Hamburg in 1993 when a German lathe operator and deranged Steffi Graf fan named Guenter Parche stabbed Seles between the shoulder blades we have witnessed something far more valuable than her legend.

It's called her spirit.

Are you sitting down? She's 30. Three-oh. All grown up and sophisticated and as delightful as ever. The world blinked, and gone was that 17-year old phenom whose desire to crush every ball was just a tad more vigorous than the grunting that accompanied each groundstroke. She was marvelous. The best.

Seles was one of the first to relentlessly whack away no matter the match or its importance. She hit with as much force trying to save a decisive point in a Grand Slam final as she did in daily practice sessions. She was steadfast in her mission and dominant in her craft, winning eight Grand Slam events before the stabbing.

She has captured one since.

"It was a very special feeling what I had going in the early 1990s," says Seles. "Kind of like a storybook . . . I had that focus. It just came naturally to me. I was always in the moment, just me and the ball."

She didn't compete for more than two years after Parche's blade inflicted its physical and mental wounds, and for some time now Seles has either been tired or hurt. She wants to play one more year and depart on her own terms.

She deserves that much.

Great Seles
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Exactly eleven years ago in Hamburg, Germany, she was on her way to becoming the greatest women's player ever. And then, at an ordinary crossover in her match that day, she felt the awful pain in her back and turned around and, for just an instant, saw the face of a madman as he prepared to plunge the knife into her again. Someone rushed over and stopped him. Monica slumped to the ground, alive -- just -- the blade having cut within an inch of her life. But she was never the same again, not as an athlete, not as a person.

No one had been more of a free spirit, either. More than a decade ago, Teddy Tinling, the late dress designer, the keeper of the flame of women's tennis, liked to say that the sport was doomed to perish from avarice, that it was in the last opera of Wagner's Ring -- the twilight of the goddesses -- but that the wonderful little girl from Yugoslavia, who grunted when she hit the bejesus out of the ball, would breathe fresh life into the sport and save it.

And for the three years from the time she won her first major title until the German's knife drove into her, Seles won eight of the 12 Grand Slams -- completely dominating her rivals on the women's tour. The assassin changed history. Absent him, Monica was the best ever. Until . . .The horror is all the worse that it was a jealous fan of her rival who almost killed Seles.

Monica finally returned to professional tennis after two and a half years. She even won one more Grand Slam -- the Australian Open, in '96. And then her father, Karoly, whom she adored, fell ill with cancer and died in 1998. Even as a little girl, Monica had always been the strength of the family. After all, it was not easy for her parents to move to America, to a new life, in middle age. It was a little girl who led them. She was steel.

Yet as strong a person as she is, Seles will probably never win another major championship. Who even knows how much longer she will play? She's still only 30, but so wise and grown-up -- and so admired. Everybody in tennis adores Monica. The younger players look up to her. Monica Seles is a heroine.

After eleven long years, it's simply worth stating that.

The worst thing that ever happened on a field of play happened to her that day eleven Aprils ago. Somehow, as much attention as the tragedy received, it has never been appreciated to the depth that it deserves. It was a very big deal, and it changed the course of a sport, as it destroyed a champion. Monica Seles has overcome, though, and she has thrived, and if there is any justice at all, the next eleven years will be glorious for her.

Grice
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I think it has become pointless speculating whether she'll be back...
I just hope she's happy doing what she's doing now...
and she'll always remain alive in the hearts and minds of her fans

Hachiko
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I hope so!

Daniel
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:56 AM
yes she will be back in January 2005 :D