PDA

View Full Version : Forget upset by Mauresmo's Fed Cup decision

alfonsojose
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=1924920

I think France is still stronger than Spain, but Amelie is very important for them

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:03 PM
I think Forget is overreacting a bit. I can understand his disappointment, but Amelie has been a loyal supporter of the Fed Cup team, probably far more so than anybody else on the French squad. She's made herself available for every single tie the last four years (maybe even more than that, I'm not entirely sure.) She's entitled to say no once in a while, particularly after representing so often and so well all these years.

WorldWar24
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Amelie :mad: Like playing a couple of matches would really jeopardize her physical condition for next season. And as if she'd have a bigger chance of getting a slam for missing Fedcup the year before :rolleyes:

silverwhite
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think Forget is overreacting a bit. I can understand his disappointment, but Amelie has been a loyal supporter of the Fed Cup team, probably far more so than anybody else on the French squad. She's made herself available for every single tie the last four years (maybe even more than that, I'm not entirely sure.) She's entitled to say no once in a while, particularly after representing so often and so well all these years.

I agree. On the other hand, if France meets Russia in the finals as expected, it would be quite unlikely for them to win the Fed Cup, whereas if Amelie were part of team, she would most likely be able to beat any two Russians, which stands them in very good stead to win the cup, so I can see where Forget is coming from. Still, it's her decision and we have to respect that.

griffin
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I also think it's an unfair to characterize her decision as "turning up (or not) when they feel like it." I wish she were playing, too, but I certainly don't think she made this decision lightly.

MinnyGophers
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM
she is selfish for not playing ? :rolleyes:
all these years she has sacrificed for the team, and now she wants a break and they jump on her (well Forget, because the girls actually support her)
It's not like most top ten players actually play for their FED Cup Team but anyway....
what's selfish is not understanding that if someone has a good reason not to play ( and concentrating on a slam is more than a good one) and I'm sure Momo didn't think lightly about it ( they did talk about it a few times and he knew that it was a real possibility), and then be pissed off at her because she won't be in HIS team. :rolleyes:
I know that she and him are close friends, but i think he is overreacting. It's not like they have never won it before HEH.

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Supposedly she was not going to play against Italy (a week after Wimby, with a dodgy back and blistered hand), but was convinced otherwise. And yes, the rest of the team does respect Amélie's decision. Besides (and this was brought up on one of the French forums) Guy didn't turn a hair when Grosjean decided to call it quits for Davis Cup (a little double standard here?) He's being a bit of a drama queen, IMHO.

Bette_Midler
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Guy Forget is right, I agree all the words of Forget and with this behaviour amé proves that she is very unprofessional tennis player, and selfish person. I think that is a good idea that ITF and france federation punishes her for the withdrawal, because she has not any physical injury, or her "supposed" injury is a fake

griffin
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Forget knew for weeks she was thinking about not playing. This isn't sudden.

What about the players who just don't bother? What should we do with them?

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:50 PM
"I can't believe she did this," Forget said in an interview in sports daily L'Equipe. "She puts her career ahead of the next match for the national team and it disappoints me.

:confused: Well, duh!!! Geez, such a minor thing like her career! She should be ashamed of herself! :tape:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:56 PM
of course he's gonna be disappointed with her withdrawal at this late stage
if she hadnt made herself available all yr, it would be diff.

what would Pat Mc do if Duck said he wasnt gonna play DC final cos he wanted to prepare for next season ???

manu32
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:00 PM
you are not french people and you don't realize that she is not very beloved in her country and victory in fed cup last year was her best result for public opinion,because no good result in gs since 1999......a winning in linz or philadelphia
has no importance here ......

justine&coria
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM
you are not french people and you don't realize that she is not very beloved in her country and victory in fed cup last year was her best result for public opinion,because no good result in gs since 1999......a winning in linz or philadelphia
I'm French and Amelie is definitely beloved in France !!
T'es sûr que t'habites en France ?

jamba2
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Guy Forget is right, I agree all the words of Forget and with this behaviour amé proves that she is very unprofessional tennis player, and selfish person. I think that is a good idea that ITF and france federation punishes her for the withdrawal, because she has not any physical injury, or her "supposed" injury is a fake

She shows that she is proffesionel , cause you need to take rest after a heavy season . and if you think she's self centered , what about justine , serena, ... then ? :confused:

manu32
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM

j'étais dans la tribune à rg lors de sa défaite contre dementieva et le public était apathique,il s'en foutait,désolé...et si elle a certainement des fans en france,elle n'est en aucun cas une star ici..je doute à mon tour fortement que tu résides en Gaule ou alors très profonde.........

fammmmedspin
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Its called a Fed Cup team "team" - the team want to do well and suddenly after getting effectively to the final the team's main player decides to take a holiday and just says they won't turn up. Wouldn't you be upset if you were Forget - he might prefer to do his Christmas shopping rather than lead his C team out.. Its like Beckham deciding to go shopping with Victoria or practising his dribble and not playing or an ally starting a war with you and then surrendering as soon as the fighting starts or the week before.

It might not be if her arguments made sense - the problem with her serve is her head not her serve and practising on her own won't help that. Nor will convincing herself that she is preparing to win a GS help. She has lost umpteen GS not because she doesn't convince herself she can win but because when it comes down to it she either can't beat top players or thinks she can't. The answer to that is not to build up false hope but to beat top players and there are two waiting in Moscow who will be blocking her way to any GS next year.

its just all going wrong. She got number 1 and had to defend her credibility. She lost it quickly which made her more determined to prove it wasn't a fluke. she talked herself up for the YEC and YE ending number 1 but Serena ended that argument. Now she is missing the Fed Cup which she might win or at least win over 2 top 5 players in favour of building up hopes to justify her ranking by winning a GS - which she probably won't. True she may be afraid of losing to the number 3 and 5 ranked players which will be yet another blow but if she is avoiding them now that doesn't bode well for next year either. The more she thrashes around the problem of credibilty the worse the problem will get.

griffin
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
suddenly after getting effectively to the final the team's main player decides to take a holiday and just says they won't turn up. Wouldn't you be upset if you were Forget - he might prefer to do his Christmas shopping rather than lead his C team out.. Its like Beckham deciding to go shopping with Victoria or practising his dribble and not playing or an ally starting a war with you and then surrendering as soon as the fighting starts or the week before.

I absolutely understand why Guy is upset - but I think your characterization of Amelie's decision is bullshit. Again, she's been thinking about this - and talking to Forget about the situation - for WEEKS. She didn't "just decide" not to show up. As for the "fighting" - she's been neck deep in it for a couple of years now.

I disagree with her decision, I wish she were playing, I wish she'd bailed on Philly or Linz instead if she needed rest, but the beating she's taking over this is way out of proportion.

Go blast someone who never bothered to help their team get to the semis and then talk to me.

manu32
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:07 PM

What about the players who just don't bother? What should we do with them?

why is he a lyer yesterday????i don't understand and why mauresmo was
in the publication of french team???????and mauresmo is also a lyer because she said taking her decision monday????

griffin
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I'm not calling anyone a liar. She made the decision Monday, but she's been discussing it/thinking about it for longer than that. Make sense?

ali
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
all these years she has sacrificed for the team, and now she wants a break and they jump on her (well Forget, because the girls actually support her)
I'm sure Amelie didn't see all her years of playing the Fed Cup as a "sacrifice" - in fact I think the support she has received from the French team and Guy in particular has been a help rather than a hinderance.

I haven't read/heard any of the players reactions (other than Nathalie) yet :confused:

What about the players who just don't bother? What should we do with them?I think what has shocked/upset most people and Guy is that she isn't one of those players who just doesn't bother - playing Fed Cup and being part of the team has always seemed to mean so much for her in the past. Guy travels the tour all year round and is often at Amelie's (as well as the other French players') matches. I can understand him feeling a bit hurt by this decision.
He also said that Amelie had said she would have played if the finals had been in France.

I also think it's an unfair to characterize her decision as "turning up (or not) when they feel like it." I wish she were playing, too, but I certainly don't think she made this decision lightly.I agree with you on that one - I think Guy is letting his hurt get the better of him here. Mary was accused of exactly the same thing for years and Guy has stood by her. And to be fair I think some of the criticism aimed at Mary was justified (good grief....I'm an objective Mary fan ;) )

what would Pat Mc do if Duck said he wasnt gonna play DC final cos he wanted to prepare for next season ???Good point!

My one concern for Amelie is that if she's not careful she might put so much extra pressure on herself to win a Grand Slam that it will become even harder for her. I don't know Amelie's career that well, and I think all the shouts of "choke" when she loses a close match are unfair, but it is clear that she suffers very badly from nerves in tight situations. By publically stating that she's going to miss a tournament she loves to concentrate on that elusive Slam win, and her other recent comments about being the "one to beat", she's just piling on more pressure that she just doesn't need imo.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:34 PM
of course he's gonna be disappointed with her withdrawal at this late stage
if she hadnt made herself available all yr, it would be diff.

what would Pat Mc do if Duck said he wasnt gonna play DC final cos he wanted to prepare for next season ???

"It's okay Andy, we have about as good of a chance against Spain in Spain if I play for you... " :devil:

MinnyGophers
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:10 AM

LOLOL! This is the funniest post I've ever seen. So they should now PUNISH Amelie because she does not want to play?? Are they going to force her to play?? HAH! I'm actually now happy that Amelie decided not to play. She has you know...uh... a little something in her mind other than the Fed Cup... hmmm.. what could it be?... huuh... oh yeaah it 's a CAREER, and Guy Forget seems to forget that that's what's most important, and if he believes that the Fed Cup is more important than one's career, then he is full of shit.
I know that playing the Fed Cup is not going to kill Amelie, but the fact is that if she doesn't want to, she shouldn't get attacked for that. Because else, I know tons of other players who are not playing for their country. Amelie has done a lot already, and if she wants a break, then leave her alone goddarnit!! She doesn't want to risk an injury before the Australian, and that's perfectably her right.

Doc
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:33 AM
The funny thing is, in most sports it's an HONOUR to play for your country. Footballers for example are expected to turn out for their National squads (and that's practices as well as matches) even though they have very tiring and hectic club schedules.

MinnyGophers
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:39 AM
The funny thing is, in most sports it's an HONOUR to play for your country. Footballers for example are expected to turn out for their National squads (and that's practices as well as matches) even though they have very tiring and hectic club schedules.

it definitely is an honor... but some here make it look like it's a duty, and that she should be ashamed for not doing it this year....
I believe that none of us here are profesionnal tennis player, so we have no idea how hectic their schedule and how mentally and physically exhausted they must be at the end of the season. So let's not judge her without knowing her and why she made that decision.

WorldWar24
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:24 AM
oui, elle aime le france beaucoup, mais elle sait que si elle ne joue pas, la Russian gagnera

That's a bit cocky from Amelie! And if she thinks that, she should help her country! :speakles:

Je_ne_sais_quoi
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:45 AM

I think France is still stronger than Spain, but Amelie is very important for them
I guess he'll just forget abt it later:lol:

freemartha22
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Amelie has been a great support of the fed cup team in the past...more so than the vast majority of other top 10 players (Myskina and Dementieva have been supportive). The US has not seen Lyndsey, Jennifer Capriati nor the Williams sisters for quite some time. People are ready to pounce on Amelie for not playing the semis and finals and yet the US is not even in the finals because not one of the top 4 Americans had availaed themselves for duty. SHAME ON THE TOP US WOMEN!

AimeeLizAni
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I hope France wins...I don't like Spain anymore for kicking off Conchi!

Diesel
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:29 AM
SHAME ON THE TOP US WOMEN!

What does Forget being upset with Amelie have to do with the US women?

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM
The title of the thread is an understatement, I would say Guy Forget is mad, furious, which is pretty uncommon because he's rather a calm guy.

I understand his angerish, it's not like Amélie is injured or physically washed up. During the YEC, she looked the freshest player among the 8.

Amelie's psychology is definitely impenetrable.

turt
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Oh come on, give Amélie a break... If she wants to take some time off after a very very very long season, then she should do it! So what, she won't play the Fed Cup this time? She gave the title to France last time, so please...
I think Amélie's decision is right if she feels like this. Justine had to go through the same criticism last year, but then she started the season winning pretty everything, including a Slam!

lauryn
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Well said turt! :)

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle

LOLOL! This is the funniest post I've ever seen. So they should now PUNISH Amelie because she does not want to play?? Are they going to force her to play?? HAH! I'm actually now happy that Amelie decided not to play. She has you know...uh... a little something in her mind other than the Fed Cup... hmmm.. what could it be?... huuh... oh yeaah it 's a CAREER, and Guy Forget seems to forget that that's what's most important, and if he believes that the Fed Cup is more important than one's career, then he is full of shit.
I know that playing the Fed Cup is not going to kill Amelie, but the fact is that if she doesn't want to, she shouldn't get attacked for that. Because else, I know tons of other players who are not playing for their country. Amelie has done a lot already, and if she wants a break, then leave her alone goddarnit!! She doesn't want to risk an injury before the Australian, and that's perfectably her right.

Wasn't it Amélie who said that Maria Sharapova should be punished for her withdrawal in Philadelphia because she were disrespectful towards the public and the tournament ? At least Maria had this "diplomatical" excuse of a pain at her shoulder.

The less that we can say is that Amelie is not showing a lot of respect to the French FedCup team, the FedCup competition in general (it's the final and not the preliminaries) and for all these very supportive french fans who follow the French teams (Davis and Fed) all around the world paying for their trip and their seats (you certainly noticed them : last year in Moscow they made more noise than the Russian supporters :lol: , that's really cool for the French teams to have these people backing them).

Comme quoi il faut savoir fermer sa grande gueule, Chère Amélie... :tape:

stenen
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Wasn't it Amélie who said that Maria Sharapova should be punished for her withdrawal in Philadelphia because she were disrespectful towards the public and the tournament ? At least Maria had this "diplomatical" excuse of a pain at her shoulder.

Philly was WTA event, Fed Cup is ITF.

Amélie wanted to have a break for many reasons some of them were official, some were private. Please respect her decision and get over it.

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Philly was WTA event, Fed Cup is ITF.
Oh really :eek: ? I always though FedCup was a FIFA event, thanks for the info :p .

Now, what does this have to do with what I posted :angel: ?

Amélie wanted to have a break for many reasons some of them were official, some were private. Please respect her decision and get over it.
Personally, I don't give a damn for her decision, I'm no French FedCup supporter, rather Russian supporter so this is some kind of good news. But I'm worried about Amélie's popularity in her homecountry if France loses in semis against Spain :eek: !!!

And I RESPECT her decision, unlike Amélie did for Sharapova's in philly :cool: ...

stenen
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Personally, I don't give a damn for her decision,
If you don't give a damn about that

then why should you give a damn this?
But I'm worried about Amélie's popularity in her homecountry if France loses in semis against Spain :eek: !!!

:rolleyes:

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
If you don't give a damn about that

then why should you give a damn this?

:rolleyes:
do I :haha: ?

Was just picturing the RG crowd booing Amélie :eek: . Rumour says French crowd can be really mean sometimes :cool: .

MinnyGophers
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM

The less that we can say is that Amelie is not showing a lot of respect to the French FedCup team, the FedCup competition in general (it's the final and not the preliminaries) and for all these very supportive french fans who follow the French teams (Davis and Fed) all around the world paying for their trip and their seats (you certainly noticed them : last year in Moscow they made more noise than the Russian supporters :lol: , that's really cool for the French teams to have these people backing them).

the thing with Sharapova was way more different.
People expected her to come and they had already paid their tickets and all, and she withdrew just before the match started. People already knew that Momo was thinking about not doing Fed Cup, and like Stenen said, it is not a WTA event. No one gives a shit anymore about the Fed Cup, or else people would be playing for their country. But except Amelie and the Russians, I haven't seen any top players jumping in joy for the honor of playing there.
I agree that the French fans will be disappointed if Amelie isn't there, and if they lose. But you know what, wouldn't that be selfish of them also, to force Amelie to play if she is exhausted and wants a break?
If she is selfish not to play, they are selfish to want her to.
She had a perfect right to be pissed at Sharapova for not showing up, at least, she has the decency to announce it herself to the world and not a few hours before the match actually starts. She didn't make up a fake injury, she just listed the reason as personal citing exhaustion.
if you're pissed that she doesn't play Fed Cup, then you must at least understand that there may be other factors affecting her decision, other than wanting to piss off the fans who have been supporting her all those years :rolleyes:

MinnyGophers
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:21 PM
do I :haha: ?

Was just picturing the RG crowd booing Amélie :eek: . Rumour says French crowd can be really mean sometimes :cool: .

i doubt they would boo her.
She is the female version of Tim Henman for French tennis supporters.

turt
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:45 PM
i doubt they would boo her.
She is the female version of Tim Henman for French tennis supporters.
Well they did quite a few times ;)

améliemomo
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM

je crois pas non plus :rolleyes: :lol:

Amélie is very popular in France, she is considered as a great tennis player and most admire also "the person" because she is simple and easy going.

SEE only at roland garros, with all the support she gets from the french public!!!

you really dont live in France or what??? :rolleyes:

MinnyGophers
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Well they did quite a few times ;)

really ?? when?

griffin
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know about "quite a few" but they booed her off the court at RG in 2001, when she lost in the first round.

Not that that crowd is/was representitive of all French fans, but it was still pretty disgraceful behavoir, imo.

the cat
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:23 PM
It's Momo's life and she sees the 2005 Australian Open as her best chance to finally break through and win a grand slam singles title. It is a shame though that she withdrew so late because France was counting on her to lead them to victory like last year.

So who is going to play singles for France now?

griffin
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Yes, it would have been sooo much better had she lied :rolleyes:

You're probably right about the pressure she's putting on herself, but I think her loyalty should count for something. And the fact that she's been honest about why she's not playing, and that she kept talking to Forget and her teammates during the weeks she was trying to make this decision, shows that she does very much care about the competition and the rest of the team. She just decided t put herself first for once.

kabuki
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Amelie will be missed, but after her long and difficult year she deserves some rest. Folks need to chill out.

manu32
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
je crois pas non plus :rolleyes: :lol:

Amélie is very popular in France, she is considered as a great tennis player and most admire also "the person" because she is simple and easy going.

SEE only at roland garros, with all the support she gets from the french public!!!

you really dont live in France or what??? :rolleyes:

on peut parler français,la tectonique des plaques ou les madeleines de proust???????

vous étiez peut être à roland garros mais moi aussi....cette année si vous avez constaté une ferveur populaire dites moi quel jour???...et c'est particulièrement débile de dire que si on ne l'aime pas on n'habite pas en france.....je ne vois pas le rapport......on en a marre des cocardiers et des cocoricos..ce qui est bien dans le tennis c'est le jeu et non le drapeau ...et vous pouvez aussi répondre à la personne qui a dit qu'elle avait une grande gueule.....ce n'est pas moi......

Kart
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Get over it Guy !!! It's payback for beating Jeremy Bates at Wimbledon every year :mad:.

Amelie's carried the team long enough.

We all know that the truth is he's just gutted because he won't get a repeat of her leaping into his arms when they win again:rolleyes:.

griffin
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:02 PM
It was not "last minute," it was not done for "no reason" (you and I may not agree with them, but she has reasons)

I understand why Guy is upset - I just think the bashing she's taking in some quarters is out of proportion, and some of the characterizations of her decision are unfair.

Linnie
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Again... It's about the fact that she lets down her team, pretty much at the last minute, and for no reason. If she would have come to an agreement early that she's not playing, I doubt Forget would be mad.

For the record, I'm not bashing Amelie on this, it's her decision, however :scratch: at people who don't understand why Forget is mad.It wasn't the last minute. The team had a meeting during the Zurich tournament, and they were told then (and it may even have been in discussion before that). Guy was just hoping that Amélie would change her mind, but she didn't.

Linnie
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:06 PM
"Jinx" @ griff :p :lol:

Hant Hant
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:07 PM
she is selfish for not playing ? :rolleyes:
It's not like most top ten players actually play for their FED Cup Team but anyway....
what's selfish is not understanding that if someone has a good reason not to play ( and concentrating on a slam is more than a good one) and I'm sure Momo didn't think lightly about it ( they did talk about it a few times and he knew that it was a real possibility), and then be pissed off at her because she won't be in HIS team. :rolleyes:
I know that she and him are close friends, but i think he is overreacting. It's not like they have never won it before HEH.

Exactly, Momo deserves to be in charge of what she plays and should not be pressured like this. She contribute a lot to the French Fed Cup team, no need for nasty words from Guy Forget

manu32
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
i know forget .... i played against him in marseille a few years ago....he is a honest guy...and please don't believe the "dingo" who posted here....

Bette_Midler
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:39 PM
It wasn't the last minute. The team had a meeting during the Zurich tournament, and they were told then (and it may even have been in discussion before that). Guy was just hoping that Amélie would change her mind, but she didn't.

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/041118/29/4lxz.html

" ........ Nathalie Dechy added that all the players of the French team had thought of boycotting the final phase because they estimated that its organization should have been allotted to France and not to Russia.

The players had discussed this possibility during the tournament of Zurich (note: week of October 18. "It was too late", concluded Mary Pierce . "If one boycotted, it would have been necessary to announce our decision as of the advertisement of the organization of the final phase in Moscow." AP

source: http://www.fedcup.com/

15 Nov 2004Official Team Nominations for Fed Cup Semifinals and Final
Official Team Nominations for Fed Cup Semifinals and Final
The official team nominations for the 2004 Fed Cup Semifinals and Final, to be played at the Krylatskoe Ice Stadium, Moscow, from 24-28 November, are now in.

This year, defending champion France meets Spain in the first semifinal with Russia facing Austria in the second. Both semifinals are best-of-five rubbers and will be played on 24-25 November.After submitting its official nominations to the ITF on Sunday 14 November ,the FFT announced on Tuesday 16 November that Amelie Mauresmo has withdrawn from the French team for the semifinals. She will be replaced by Emilie Loit. However the ITF has not yet received official notification of the change in nomination.

France
Amelie Mauresmo*
Nathalie Dechy
Tatiana Golovin
Mary Pierce
Captain Captain: Mr Guy Forget
*FFT has announced that Mauresmo will be replaced by Emilie Loit

----------------------------------------------
source: http://www.amelie-mauresmo.com/fr/gab_journal.asp

Site officiel:«Forfait pour la Fed Cup»

mardi 16 novembre 2004

.........Bien sûr Guy Forget et toute l’équipe étaient au courant depuis plusieurs semaines et je lui ai téléphoné après le Masters pou

r l’informer de ma décision définitive.

---------------------------------------
according to this information, Amélie delayed very much her official decision about the withdrawal at the last minute.

RERE
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I agree. She needs to get ready for next year. If she doen't think about her health who will. (me). she needs to prepare herself so she could regain her #1 tittle and win a grand slam next year.

manu32
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
nathalie dechy is unknowed in france......

Lapin
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:43 AM
She should have fake an injury or a personal problem it would have been better for her image.
I don't think presenting a 'fake' image of herself is Amélie's style, thank god! It's one of the things I like about her! :)

A quote from Guy Forget on Yahoo.fr today:

"J'ai exprimé peut-être avec un peu trop de passion mon sentiment. Mais j'ai pris son forfait de manière personnelle", a-t-il déclaré.

"Quant tu aimes beaucoup quelqu'un, tu as des attentes différentes."

Babelfished translation:

"I have perhaps expressed my feelings with a little too much passion. But I have taken her forfeit in a personal manner.", he declared. "When you like someone a lot, you have different waitings (expectations?).

swiss
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:48 AM

encore un con qui crache dans la soupe, homophobe sans doute :eek:

swiss
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:49 AM
et toi t'as de la merde dans les yeux, ete les oreilles, c'est francais çà non :devil:

spindoctor
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:56 AM
et toi t'as de la merde dans les yeux, ete les oreilles, c'est francais çà non :devil:

:tape: :lol:

swiss
Nov 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Wasn't it Amélie who said that Maria Sharapova should be punished for her withdrawal in Philadelphia because she were disrespectful towards the public and the tournament ? At least Maria had this "diplomatical" excuse of a pain at her shoulder

WHAT ?????? tu oses l'ouvrir sur le sujet ???
ta chère petite blondinette cherche des excuses minables pour expliquer après coup un forfait (balles trop lourdes....à mourir de rire, l'excuse) en plein tournoi de Philly, et se reposer pour préparer une compétition qu'elle gagne avec les dites balles, et après avoir perdu son match contre Amélie :devil:

elle, au moins elle n'est ni hypocrite ni lâche et c'est toi qui devrait fermer ta grande gueule, pauvre type :fiery:

jcaprulez
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
I don't see why he's so bothered. Who on the spanish team is a threat to Golovin and Loit.

LostGlory
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Amelie obviously was very upset and disappointed after the YEC, she narrowly lost a very important match and she was very down after words.....even if she plays for the French National team she wouldn't be nearly as close as she can be....she needs rest ....so get over it guys and let her do that in peace whatever her reasons are for withdrawing she felt this is what she needs and she knows better, so please give her the benefit of the doubt and let her and her camp decide what is good for her....besides she is one of the most unselfish athletes and human being so spare us the theories about that .....The deal in Philly was different everyone predicted that Amelie can't pull a win against the Russian wonder girl and she proved she could take her even on a not very good day.....The French have great Athletes playing for them and this is like giving the other athletes a chance.....tati should be able to take the spanish easily....now the Russians and at home that would need Amelie....she has a clean winning record against most of the good ones.....

améliemomo
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
on peut parler français,la tectonique des plaques ou les madeleines de proust???????

vous étiez peut être à roland garros mais moi aussi....cette année si vous avez constaté une ferveur populaire dites moi quel jour???...et c'est particulièrement débile de dire que si on ne l'aime pas on n'habite pas en france.....je ne vois pas le rapport......on en a marre des cocardiers et des cocoricos..ce qui est bien dans le tennis c'est le jeu et non le drapeau ...et vous pouvez aussi répondre à la personne qui a dit qu'elle avait une grande gueule.....ce n'est pas moi......

Amélie a toujours eu et les joueurs français en general un grand soutien de la part du public français que ce soit à roland,bercy,coubertin mais à Roland c'est plus intense car c'est un tournoi du grand chelem et à part quelques énergumènes amélie a toujours été soutenue.

les gens attendent beaucoup d'elle et tellemnt quelle se bloque vis à vis de ça,on la vu cette année contre dementieva en quart mais malgré le fait qu'elle jouait mal et qu'elle perdait les gens continuaient de l'encourager alors arrête de dire qu'elle est pas aimée et q'elle est pas considérée en france. :(

Quant au soi disant phenomene du "cocorrico" typiquement français,je vois pas en quoi supporter les joueurs et joueuses français comme amélie te gène, c'est une super joueuse et je comprend pas ta reaction, si tu as quelqe chose contre elle, ce qui semble etre le cas car tu te permet d'etre le porte parole de l'opinion publique française et affirmer qu'elle est "rien" koi.

C'est vraiment de la médisance ou c'est que t'es aveugle :rolleyes: de là à pas voir qu''amélie est populaire en france fo vraiment le faire exprès!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Dis carrément que tu peux pas la blairer sans essayer de placer ton opinion personelle comme étant représentative de celle du publlic en france car ce n'est pas le cas :rolleyes:

mand
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM
encore un con qui crache dans la soupe, homophobe sans doute :eek:

:worship: :lol:

mand
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Dis carrément que tu peux pas la blairer sans essayer de placer ton opinion personelle comme étant représentative de celle du publlic en france car ce n'est pas le cas :rolleyes:
Clair.. :rolleyes: Vous remarquerez aussi qu'il parle de lui en disant "on". Le mec qui y croit mdrr

manu32, excuse-moi mais j'ai l'impression qu'on n'habite pas le même pays :eek:

Bette_Midler
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM
She should have fake an injury or a personal problem it would have been better for her image.

I don't think presenting a 'fake' image of herself is Amélie's style, thank god! It's one of the things I like about her!:)

source: yahoo 16 nov 2004

PARIS (AFP) - France's Amelie Mauresmo has pulled out of next week's FedCup tennis finals with a groin injury.
France, Spain, Russia and Austria have qualified for the finals.
"It's hard to turn down a call-up for the national side but if I want to start 2005 in the best condition then it's the only way,"said the world No 2 who has been carrying the injury for most of the season. Mauresmo, who rose to world No 1 for five weeks this year, has set her sights on winning a Grand Slam. "Refusing a calling up is never something easy to do," she said on her website, www.amelie-mauresmo.com. "But my objective is to win a Grand Slam tournament and I needed to rest.....Mauresmo is expected to go on vacation for two weeks.

---------------------------
source: espn 17 nov 2004

"I can't believe she did this," Forget said in an interview in sports daily L'Equipe."She puts her career ahead of the next match for the national team and it disappoints me.

......"I can understand her point of view even if I know she is in great physical shape at the moment. What frustrates me is that the Fed Cup is no longer a target for her," Forget said.

“Everything is a question of choice in life,” Forget told L’Equipe. “Her arguments are understandable but it means the Fed Cup is not a priority anymore for her and that frustrates me a lot. We were all engaged in a great human adventure and suddenly she changed her attitude. This is amazing.”

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp?j=124524280&p=yz45z4986&t=tennis

source: http://foxsports.news.com.au 17 nov 2004

Mauresmo sacrifices Fed Cup

"I will not take part in the Fed Cup," said Mauresmo on her website. "This decision was extremely hard to take. But my objective is to win a Grand Slam, so I had to do it." Mauresmo, 25, has never won a Grand Slam title and says skipping the Fed Cup will enable her to begin 2005 "in the best conditions".

"If you want to keep improving like all the great players then there are difficult choices to take," she said. "For me the time has come."

But France captain Guy Forget called it a "huge disappointment" and said he tried to change Mauresmo's mind.

"The Australian Open is in two months, and there is enough room to play both," Forget said in a statement from the French Tennis Federation.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11413363-23210,00.html

--------------------------------------------------

source: http://msn.foxsports.com 18 nov 2004

PARIS - France captain Guy Forget understands why Amelie Maursemo does not want not to play in the Fed Cup, but still doesn't think it's right. ...."I took it very much to heart," Forget told reporters at Roland Garros on Thursday. "When you love someone very much, you expect so much more from them. But I can understand her reasons."

Forget said he was right to react angrily when he heard Mauresmo's decision because he says there is no bigger honor than representing your country.

"It is not something banal," he said. "And if I do not defend the idea of a moral obligation and of solidarity, who is going to do it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3174836

------------------------------------------

:bounce: :worship: GUY FORGET FOREVER !!!!! :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship:

MinnyGophers
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:54 PM
source: yahoo 16 nov 2004

PARIS (AFP) - France's Amelie Mauresmo has pulled out of next week's FedCup tennis finals with a groin injury.
France, Spain, Russia and Austria have qualified for the finals.
"It's hard to turn down a call-up for the national side but if I want to start 2005 in the best condition then it's the only way,"said the world No 2 who has been carrying the injury for most of the season. Mauresmo, who rose to world No 1 for five weeks this year, has set her sights on winning a Grand Slam. "Refusing a calling up is never something easy to do," she said on her website, www.amelie-mauresmo.com. "But my objective is to win a Grand Slam tournament and I needed to rest.....Mauresmo is expected to go on vacation for two weeks.

---------------------------

"I can't believe she did this," Forget said in an interview in sports daily L'Equipe."She puts her career ahead of the next match for the national team and it disappoints me.

......"I can understand her point of view even if I know she is in great physical shape at the moment. What frustrates me is that the Fed Cup is no longer a target for her," Forget said.

“Everything is a question of choice in life,” Forget told L’Equipe. “Her arguments are understandable but it means the Fed Cup is not a priority anymore for her and that frustrates me a lot. We were all engaged in a great human adventure and suddenly she changed her attitude. This is amazing.”

source: http://foxsports.news.com.au 17 nov 2004

Mauresmo sacrifices Fed Cup

"I will not take part in the Fed Cup," said Mauresmo on her website. "This decision was extremely hard to take. But my objective is to win a Grand Slam, so I had to do it." Mauresmo, 25, has never won a Grand Slam title and says skipping the Fed Cup will enable her to begin 2005 "in the best conditions".

"If you want to keep improving like all the great players then there are difficult choices to take," she said. "For me the time has come."

But France captain Guy Forget called it a "huge disappointment" and said he tried to change Mauresmo's mind.

"The Australian Open is in two months, and there is enough room to play both," Forget said in a statement from the French Tennis Federation.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11413363-23210,00.html

--------------------------------------------------

source: http://msn.foxsports.com 18 nov 2004

PARIS - France captain Guy Forget understands why Amelie Maursemo does not want not to play in the Fed Cup, but still doesn't think it's right. ...."I took it very much to heart," Forget told reporters at Roland Garros on Thursday. "When you love someone very much, you expect so much more from them. But I can understand her reasons."

Forget said he was right to react angrily when he heard Mauresmo's decision because he says there is no bigger honor than representing your country.

"It is not something banal," he said. "And if I do not defend the idea of a moral obligation and of solidarity, who is going to do it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3174836

:bounce: :worship: GUY FORGET FOREVER !!!!! :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship:

quoting Forget's quote don't make them more true, especially since it is totally biased against Momo :rolleyes:
We understand that Forget is pissed, and he has the right to. But Amelie shouldn't be bashed just because she doesn't want to play. ... i don't see anyone going to scream "solidarity! Value and Morality of the team crap" at Kimmie and Juju, Serena and Venus and all the others who decided to not take part in Fed Cup... Give her a freaking break.
I know that Forget expected her to play, and if i would be him, i would be extremely disappointed also, but he must also understand that she wants to focus on a slam... it's not like she is gonna go to the bahamas to sip a martini....
by the way, Forget talks about how the Fed Cup is the most important thing and all... yeah for him... Amelie needs to think about the future and her career. And if staying conditioned and get some rest before the AO will increase her chance to do well, then girl go for it. Because a tennis player before all will be remembered on how many slams they won, not whether they won Fed Cup. When was the last time Momo took a break and got some rest??

manu32
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:19 PM
les petits petits suisses

Elisse
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Fed Cup Results

G.Forget def. A.Mauresmo 6-0 6-0 :devil:

MinnyGophers
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:38 PM
"I'm not interested in leading a squad made up of players who turn up when they feel like it. We may have to review the way the squad works," he said

OMG stop overreacting dude. (guy)
that's like the first time she missed Fed Cup give her a freaking break!!
That guy is so selfish.... booohooo she won't play in my team and won't lead my squad to victory anymore. **pout**
Grand Slam def Fed Cup 6-0 6-0
Great shape def Injury 6-0 6-0

JennyS
Nov 20th, 2004, 12:38 AM
If Amelie played Fed Cup, she would have an offseason of just over a month, which would mean, she would probably only able to rest for a week or two. Since she is so injury prone, she could benefit from having an extra two weeks rest.

MinnyGophers
Nov 20th, 2004, 12:51 AM
"WHAT ?????? tu oses l'ouvrir sur le sujet ???
ta chère petite blondinette cherche des excuses minables pour expliquer après coup un forfait (balles trop lourdes....à mourir de rire, l'excuse) en plein tournoi de Philly, et se reposer pour préparer une compétition qu'elle gagne avec les dites balles, et après avoir perdu son match contre Amélie "

la je crois qu'il y a plus rien a rajouter....

swiss
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM
les petits petits suisses
toujours à côté de la plaque petit bonhomme :devil:
suis francaise à fonds la caisse :p

swiss
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:59 AM
"WHAT ?????? tu oses l'ouvrir sur le sujet ???
ta chère petite blondinette cherche des excuses minables pour expliquer après coup un forfait (balles trop lourdes....à mourir de rire, l'excuse) en plein tournoi de Philly, et se reposer pour préparer une compétition qu'elle gagne avec les dites balles, et après avoir perdu son match contre Amélie "

la je crois qu'il y a plus rien a rajouter....

ben, tu lis le francais, Minnygophers ?
chapeau bas :worship:

Bette_Midler
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Tennis / Fed Cup
Le forfait de Mauresmo dérange

DERRIERE les excuses trouvées à « la bonne copine », les souvenirs communs du triomphe en 2003, on sent bien que quelque chose s'est cassé au sein de l'équipe de France de Fed Cup, en partance ce matin pour Moscou, sans Amélie Mauresmo. Il n'y a vraiment que les benjamines, Tatiana Golovin et Marion Bartoli, pour afficher un franc sourire et une vraie excitation.
Depuis « le choc », Loïc Courteau, à la fois entraîneur de Mauresmo et des Bleues, a proposé aux filles sa démission.
« Ce n'était pas mon idée, affirme Forget, et cela m'aurait dérangé que les joueuses lui demandent de partir. Après le forfait d'Amélie, cela aurait fait beaucoup. Je ne lui fais pas un procès, même si on continue de se chambrer sur le sujet. »

« On a des droits mais aussi des devoirs »

Tout porte à croire que le précédent Mauresmo pourrait donner lieu à quelques remaniements, comme la mise en place de règles précises, l'an prochain. Courteau devra-t-il choisir entre Mauresmo et les Bleues ? Forget sera-t-il encore là ? Pourra-t-on entrer et sortir à sa guise de l'équipe ? On devrait en avoir une première idée sitôt la fin de la compétition.
Hier, Nathalie Dechy et Mary Pierce ont confirmé que l'idée d'un boycott, pour protester contre la seconde désignation de Moscou comme lieu de la finale, avait été envisagée. Mais il aurait fallu l'annoncer clairement de suite, dès la décision prise en août dernier, pour marquer le coup auprès des fédérations française et internationale.
Jusqu'à preuve du contraire, Mauresmo a aussi mis en avant « un choix sportif » plutôt qu'un geste politique. C'est justement ce qui donne le sentiment d'un abandon de poste. « Au début de la saison, on s'est lancées là-dedans et on savait toutes que cela allait se terminer en novembre. Je voudrais bien, moi aussi, prendre des vacances, avoir cinq ou six semaines de préparation pour l'année prochaine », dit Pierce. « Je ne me sens pas trahie, mais tout est un peu remis en cause sur l'état d'esprit », ajoute Emilie Loit. « Porter le coq, le maillot de l'équipe de France, ce n'est pas quelque chose de banal », réaffirme Forget, qui a laissé un message sur le portable de Mauresmo. « On a des droits mais aussi des devoirs. Amélie a sûrement été choquée par mes propos. Peut-être qu'elle m'en veut. Mais j'ai une responsabilité, au même titre que Grosjean, Mauresmo ou Christian Bîmes. »

Hervé Dacquet
Le Parisien , vendredi 19 novembre 2004

http://www.leparisien.fr/home/sports/actu/article.htm?articleid=245917297

swiss
Nov 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Gabrielle, ce n'est pas en resortant les vieux articles de la presse populaire que tu nous feras changer d'avis :rolleyes:

Bette_Midler
Nov 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Je voudrais bien, moi aussi, prendre des vacances, avoir cinq ou six semaines de préparation pour l'année prochaine », dit Pierce.

:cool:

Soch
Nov 20th, 2004, 10:33 PM
GS def Mauresmo 60 60

MinnyGophers
Nov 21st, 2004, 01:29 AM
ben, tu lis le francais, Minnygophers ?
chapeau bas :worship:

ouais je suis ne en France, and j'ai demenager aux states quand j'avais 14 ans.... donc ouais je parle/ecrit francais sans problemes.

MinnyGophers
Nov 21st, 2004, 01:32 AM
evidemment, on sait tres bien ce que Forget pense.... mais ou sont les propos et dires d'a Amelie elle meme? il y a toujours deux cotes dans un argument.

theklein
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Mauresmo rocks, dont knock her

améliemomo
Nov 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Mauresmo rocks, dont knock her

:worship: ;)