PDA

View Full Version : Hingis to play Sabatini at the 2005 Diamond Games--*first step to Martina's comeback?

Allez-H
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I've just read on the official site that Martina will take on Gabi at the Diamond Games in Antwerp next year.The match wil be played on sunday 13th Februari;
I'm am soo gonna go there :hearts:
Two classy players against eachother :drool:

http://rol.ru/pictures/misc/consnews/sabatini_www_gabriela-sabatini.jpg vs http://www.eurosport.co.uk/imgbk/TENNIS/ALL/big_MD-I104134.jpg

Hagar
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:25 PM
That is a bloody good intro of that tournament. I'm pretty sure Kim helped to convince Martina to do this.

Chunchun
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
LOL :lol:

Good Luck Sabatini :)

Zhao
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM
its great to see Hingis playing again..
i am putting my fingers cross on her coming back to play doubles competitively :yeah:

AjdeNate!
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:35 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna go!!!

Martian KC
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Creams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fleemkeł
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
:cool:

croat123
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
:bounce:

alex.2812
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
hingis womeback! great great great!!!!

Andy_
I'm so curious to see this! :bounce: I have a feeling Martina will kick ass...

Svennovitch
:woohoo:

tom2791
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:04 PM
DAmN! I have tickets but not for that day!

-Ph51-
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Gaby

Andrew.
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I have a feeling this may be a bit of a "test" that will help Martina choose to come back.

katrientje
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
A belgian newspaper said Martina is training intensively and may plan to return to pro-tennis. Does anyone know more about this?

Allez-H
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:25 PM
A belgian newspaper said Martina is training intensively and may plan to return to pro-tennis. Does anyone know more about this?
:eek:
Damn,I hope that's true :dool:

Vincent
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:28 PM
*faints right after reading post #15*

:eek: Martina, I would sell my life to see you play again!

Martian Jeza
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM
If it's confirmed : Up to Antwerp Sportpaleis the 13 of February :bounce:

I just want to see my Tennis Goddess once in my life IRL :hearts:

Allez-H
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:52 PM
For the Dutch-speakers: http://www.hln.be/hln/cch/det/art_28568.html

It kinda confirms what Katrientje said,Bob Verbeeck said that Martina was training intesively again and that she wanted to play exhibitions to test her self out... :eek:

AjdeNate!
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:57 PM
OMG..... please Hingi come back!!

Come-on-kim
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:59 PM
I'll be there!!!

bw2082
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:02 PM
:eek: Please be true!

GoDominique
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM
But ... her foot ????????????????????????????

Martian Jeza
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:05 PM

It kinda confirms what Katrientje said,Bob Verbeeck said that Martina was training intesively again and that she wanted to play exhibitions to test her self out... :eek:

Her come-back will be one of the greatest day of my life ( But it's not confirmed then I prefer to cool down my joy ). Pls. Marti, come back :worship:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:06 PM

:D WOO-HOO!! But didn't she say that if she played two hours one day, she couldn't walk the next day:sad: Who cares, maybe she got that "medical miracle" she's wanted for so long...good luck and have fun Martina!

Martian Jeza
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:06 PM
But ... her foot ????????????????????????????

I hope her feet are in much better shape...

GermanBoy
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Please Gabriela, kick Hingis`ass.... :devil: I expect Hingis to win though and would like to see her on the tour again although I dislike her...

~MaRt~HiNgIs~F@N
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Martina Hingis :eek: :eek: :eek: I HOPE YOU'LL MAKE A COMEBACK!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :kiss: :kiss:

alwayshingis
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:39 PM
But didn't she say that if she played two hours one day, she couldn't walk the next day

Martina always has been one for the dramatic.

I am not getting my hopes up. I have done that too many times.

I'll be excited to see how she fares in the exhibition. Good luck my dear!

Amorc
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

CooCooCachoo
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I am not sure whether I will be going that day though :eek: There's Rotterdam qualifying I always go to..

CooCooCachoo
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:26 PM
It only costs €15 :eek:

manu32
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I've just read on the official site that Martina will take on Gabi at the Diamond Games in Antwerp next year.The match wil be played on sunday 13th Februari;
I'm am soo gonna go there :hearts:
Two classy players against eachother :drool:

http://rol.ru/pictures/misc/consnews/sabatini_www_gabriela-sabatini.jpg vs http://www.eurosport.co.uk/imgbk/TENNIS/ALL/big_MD-I104134.jpg
left is beautiful,right......?????
left is retired since a lot of years,right....?

i suppose you are talking about an exhibition....and right must win.and after...

Spunky83
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Oh yay!!! I would sooo love to see her playing again.

Go Martina!

Kart
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Maybe this is actually the second step in Sabatini's comeback :drool:.

Alfie
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Playing Gabby isn't exactly the best test for Martina to see if she can still play on the WTA Tour. Gabby played Steffi Graf this year in Germany in an exhibition and was beaten in straight sets and Steffi's already had 2 kids! Also Gabby's serve is so weak. I love Gabby though...she's the classiest. I'd like to see Martina play Steffi Graf in an exhibition :devil:

kiekeboe
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM
I might go there :woohoo:

joaco
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:02 PM
OMG!!! This is HUGE!!!!!!

Becool
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Gaby's on form! Let's hope she kicks chucky's ass!! :bounce: :bounce:

Navratilove
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Martina is capable of double bagellin Sabatini with great ease but she will not embarrass her senior infront of a sell out crowd. that would be too much for Gaby san.

loveactually
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I don't think she's gonna come back, maybe just play for fun

lauryn
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:13 PM
I would love to see Martina make a comeback, don't think it will happen though :sad:

Should be a great exhibition match! I might go as well :)

Martian Willow
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM
The part about her testing herself for a comeback appears to be from a Belgian newspaper, and we know they aren't always the most reliable of sources. I shall reserve judgement until I hear it from her. :)

Zoltan83
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:19 PM

It will be a great match. :bounce:

jenny161185
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:00 AM
wow interesting thought I wont belove anything about a proper comeback till I see her saying it herself my hopes have been raised too many times, but is it possible??? could the Queen return??????

go hingis
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Great news, can't wait!

I hope she comes back! I do remember reading that some doctors had found new ways to repair tissues and such for feet and ankles.

go hingis
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Now I can say again

GO HINGIS!!!!!!!!!!

AimeeLizAni
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:49 AM
This is awesome Martina!!!!! COME BACK AND FUCK UP THE WILLIAMS SISTERS!!!

Robbie.
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Martina :bowdown:

barmaid
Nov 18th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Sorry its just an exhibition match between two former "glamour gals of the WTA":kiss: :hearts: Great to see though!:worship: :D

barmaid:wavey:

bello
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Only because Gaby is so majorly out of practise, lwets remember this and not due to her lack of talent....Gaby is among the few most talented ladies to ever grace a tennis court.

vogus
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:59 AM

It will be a great match. :bounce:

it won't be a great match if they both play at 100 percent. Sabbatini will be lucky to win a game. But i'm sure Martina will be in a generous mood and wont embarrass her.

vogus
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:01 AM
i bet of lot of girls on the tour wish they could go out and play a silly little exho for a couple hundred grand and not have to worry about winning or losing...

Jeff
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Martina will win easy. I just hope she wins 6-0, 6-0. A few bagels in her stomach may give her the energy she needs to return :woohoo:

turt
Nov 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Well, the "source" of the Belgian Press Agency (Belga) concerning Martina coming out of retirement is... Bob Verbeeck! You remember? The Antwerp tournament director who said JenCap wouldn't take part in the tournie because she was 20 kg overweight...

Don't know if it's reliable or just a trick to sell more tickets, but anyway a Martina-Gaby match sure would be worth spending a few €€€ ;)

lukehingis
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Wow!! If this is true, this is the best tennis related news I've heard in a long time!!!
Go Martina!!

IVI
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM
I can't believe it, my dream come true :bounce: Martina come back please and kick some russian asses. :devil: :angel:

Zoltan83
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:06 PM
it won't be a great match if they both play at 100 percent. Sabbatini will be lucky to win a game. But i'm sure Martina will be in a generous mood and wont embarrass her.

I meaned... it will be great to see these 2 previous great players ;)

mauresmofan
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Come on Gaby!

Steffica Greles
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't get overly hopeful, but it is indeed curious that Hingis decides to play an exhibition for no apparent reason.

Sharapower
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Great news !!!
But, considering how the game evolved since 2002, it would take years for her to come back at a top 50 level, I'm afraid.

Bероника
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Go Gaby!!!:hearts:

miranda_lou
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Martina come back please and kick some russian asses.
Martina couldn't beat the Williams sisters; the Russians are beating the Williams sisters; so, how is it you think Martina can beat the Russians?:lol: :tape:

It would be nice if Martina made a comeback but, if she does, don't expect her to automatically make it to the top 10 or even top 50. She just doesn't have the strength for it, unless she takes a page out of Justine's book (and don't count on that).:rolleyes:

vogus
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Martina couldn't beat the Williams sisters; the Russians are beating the Williams sisters; so, how is it you think Martina can beat the Russians?:lol: :tape:

It would be nice if Martina made a comeback but, if she does, don't expect her to automatically make it to the top 10 or even top 50. She just doesn't have the strength for it, unless she takes a page out of Justine's book (and don't count on that).:rolleyes:

if Martina H comes back, i think Top 30 would be a reasonable goal for her. Pretty much the entire Top 20 has too much power for her.

ChrisGermany
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I have to smile about all those Hingisians dreaming of a comeback. Though I would fully support a former no1 player if deciding to come back we have discussed this here 2 many times. Don´t you remember what happend 2 those AnnaK comebacks in exhibitions?!

A) Hingis has a serious injury regarding her foot and same as Anna plays matches that
won´t last longer than 2 hours just for fun as it does not bother her foot 2 much.

In any other match, especially if competitive against top10 players, this would be 2
much. PERIOD.

B) Steffi was also REPORTED to train hard when coming back for an exhibition. So why
not reporting the same regarding Martina - where´s the message in this she trains
hard for coming back to the TOUR. Any source ?!

C) PR-reasons for announcing a retired player coming back to play are always there.
If you sell this as a once-in-a-while-match people won´t come compared to a
match regarded as a test match to return to the tour. That would sell big-time.

D) Martina, as often said by her critics here (me included), had her prime in a time
when hard hitters were DEVELOPING rather than being in their PRIME TIME. Her
smartness and her intelligence made her the ´grande girl´ of her time that
made her way to challenge a single hard hitter in person of Lindsay and beating
smart players like Novotna due to the cleverness of her brain and her youth. In
times of today, when players like Myskina or Kuznetsova develop her brain-fitness
and smartness TOGETHER with hard hitting I think we all doubt Hingis would make
it to the top5 and therefore I doubt even she herself regards herself as competitive
in this. I think you cannot balance fanship thinking in this thread. It´s legitimate.
Who would not root for his favourite?! But I truely believe that Hingis in the last
stage of her career made her points in tierIIs where top US players didn´t compete
(f.e. playing all Middle East events when Lindsay and stuff were resting) and in a
world of today would not be able to avoid big time matches in early rounds and then
would be too challenged to stand the competition.

Therefore, I DO look forward to that match and I will root for Hingis, but I would say it´s more realistic to dream of a FO1999 repetition in Hingis challenging Graf for charity and I would tell every organization in that case to try to get both to play rather than trying to talk her into a professional career once again.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
B) Steffi was also REPORTED to train hard when coming back for an exhibition. So why
not reporting the same regarding Martina - where´s the message in this she trains
hard for coming back to the TOUR. Any source ?!

There's a difference though. If Steffi wanted to train for a comeback to the tour, she could do so at any time. Because of Martina's foot, she hasn't been able to do that for the last two years even if she wanted to. So this is a very encouraging sign.

It was kinda inevitable she was going to at least make the effort to give it a second shot. Hell, she's been going to every WTA tournament this year practically...she might as well play in them.:p

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 18th, 2004, 06:44 PM
will be great to see Martina on courts again playing a match although it will be only an exhibition.

c'mon Martina! show us some of your magic! :bounce:

manu32
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:28 PM
and sharapova is capable of double bagel chris evert.......or navratilova......of course......look birthday.....

Bezz
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:22 AM
This is good news she is back on court, it seems abit odd that she wudnt just play her first match back in a doubles exhibition maybe to test the foot, instead of playing a singles match. I think a fully fit pain free foot for 2 hours for martina is more than enough time to destroy sabatini, but i do think she will allow her a couple of games ;) . Hopefully it is a start to a comeback, but i wudnt hold my breath for a singles return, just Doubles :cool:

Daniel
Nov 19th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Martina :worship: welcome back :yeah:

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM
She won't gonna be back for the Tour. It's just an exhibition as well as there no evidence she actually said something about comeback besides the tournament director. So yeah, I don't believe all those bullshit.

Greatest
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
There's a difference though. If Steffi wanted to train for a comeback to the tour, she could do so at any time. Because of Martina's foot, she hasn't been able to do that for the last two years even if she wanted to. So this is a very encouraging sign.

It was kinda inevitable she was going to at least make the effort to give it a second shot. Hell, she's been going to every WTA tournament this year practically...she might as well play in them.:p

Steffi never REALLY came back. Playing a player (Sabatini) whom she dominated and retired much longer (10 years) than she did... is a comeback?

Maybe if she would have played any of the current top 50 players on the tour then we would surely know if she still has what it takes to be a decent challenger to the current top guns on the women's tour.

turt
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:42 PM
hard for coming back to the TOUR. Any source ?!Well, there is a source. I don't think it is so reliable as it is Bob Verbeeck, the Antwerp tournament director.
He declared to the Belgian newspaper "Le Soir" on Thursday (translation): "She may come back to the competition. She will train intensively to see where she is, and she will test herself in a series of exhibition matches, the first one taking place in Antwerp on February 13th."

miranda_lou
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Hell, she's been going to every WTA tournament this year practically...she might as well play in them.
Martina was a commentator for all those tournaments, wasn't she? So, naturally she was at the tournament.:rolleyes:

Tochio
Nov 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Wow !!!!!!

Jamie
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
It would be a great gift to tennis lovers to see the best NATURAL (not powerful)
tennis player return. Martina, I hope this great news is for real. You will always be #1 in this house. You are loved and missed.

faboozadoo15
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:58 PM
i love these two players, and hopefully hingis wins and DOES decide to come back at some point. i'd really love to see that. she was always such a brilliant and beutiful player... COME BACK!

Vut
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:05 AM
Woohoo!!! :woohoo:

theklein
Nov 21st, 2004, 07:54 AM
I personally dislike Hingis but i hope she comes back for the womens game, it'll be interesting

dukeblue5
Nov 21st, 2004, 08:17 AM
Martina was a commentator for all those tournaments, wasn't she? So, naturally she was at the tournament.:rolleyes:

No she hasn't. She's gone to countless tournaments that she hasn't commentated in, so she does miss the tour. It's very obvious.