PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite ALTERNATIVE female music act

Kathy Rinaldi
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Who is your favorite chick who gets loosely term as alternative by the media? Again the poll allows only for 10 options so sorry if your fave ain't on the list.

CC
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Sarah :hearts:

Randy H
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Sarah McLachlan :hearts:

Snuffkin
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:40 AM
The one and only Polly Jean Harvey.

Dava
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Im liking Tori Amos thanks to being sent a few Mp3s by a fellow poster. I also really liked Bjork but her stuff is so hit and miss Ive never had the guts to buy an album (even greatest hits).

I would also like to give a shout out to the Donnas :P

...and is Sarah McLauchlan really alternative :confused:

jean_genie
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:49 AM
The one and only Polly Jean Harvey.

:worship:

Barrie_Dude
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Fiona

bionic71
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:20 AM
From that list....BJORK.

With KATE BUSH a very close second.

Mr_Molik
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Missy Higgins, although shes not really alternative, i have no idea how to classify her, maybe folk/country/pop?
from the list PJ Harvey

rand
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM
kate of course, and since when would sarah mclachlan, jewel or aimee mann be ever classified as alternative? even kate bush actually :lol:

Hayato
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Out of those: Jewel

But more than any of those put together: SERTAB ERENER!

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Only heard one song my Sarah Mclaughlan...."Angel" and its a beautiful song. The rest of the people on the list i dont know.

Beat
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM
of those on the list:
1. pj harvey
2. björk
3. kate bush

ladyleo
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:31 AM
THE NAME IS BOND AND THE SULTRY FOURSOME ARE LICENSED TO THRILL
www.bondmusic.net

DutchieGirl
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Hmm Liz Phair or Sarah McLaughlan

deep bass
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM
From the list, Kate Bush, doing her thing from way back when. Though I also highly rate Courtney Love. When she's not being a drugged out psycho she speaks a lot of good sense regarding women and their position (ie, not on their knees blowing the male star backstage) in rock music. Props to her!

MLF
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Oh, I really like everyone on that list apart from Sarah who is too dull and Jewel who is too twee. Liz's last album was too glossy for my liking.

I voted for Polly Jean Harvey, but I feel guilty as I love Tori, Courtney, Kate & Aimee too.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I personally love Bjork's work, and her voice is so incredibly unique. How Sarah or Jewel got on this list is beyond me. Anybody ever heard of The Creatures?

www.thecreatures.com (http://www.thecreatures.com)

Cersei
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:43 PM
from that list:Courtney, Tori,Björk and PJ Harvey

not on the list: Shirley Manson and Sandra Nasic

Experimentee
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Courtney Love, Fiona Apple and PJ Harvey. I wouldnt really call Sarah McLachlan or Jewel alternative. Off the list I also like Missy Higgins and Ani DiFranco.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Anyone remember Nina Hagen?!? Ich bin ein hund!!!!

MLF
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM
. Anybody ever heard of The Creatures?

Me! I've seen them live a couple of times - Siouxsie Sioux is one of the all time greats in terms of breaking boundaries for women in music - loved her with The Banshees and love The Creatures stuff too.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Me! I've seen them live a couple of times - Siouxsie Sioux is one of the all time greats in terms of breaking boundaries for women in music - loved her with The Banshees and love The Creatures stuff too.
I agree- I used to have all their stuff, but over the years it's mostly gone now, and the only thing I have left is a "Hyaena" CD and the "Twice Upon A Time" video and a couple of compilation tapes I made years ago. I saw the Creatures at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia back in 1998, and then was fortunate enough to see Siouxsie & The Banshees at the Roseland Ballroom a little over a year ago- they were fantastic!!!

People don't realize how great a vocal stylist she really is (and was), or that she once played bass guitar for The Sex Pistols back in the mid-70s. I know, I'm showing my age, but what can I say- the garbage they call "alternative" these days is so tame compared to what it used to be. I'll never forget the Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) response when someone asked her what she thought about The Sex Pistols and punk rock: "hell, we were doing that 15 years ago!":lol:

MLF
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I don't know really who is Kate Bush, but is she alternative? I thought she was doing pop music?
Well she's definitely not pop or mainstream. Kate has always moved to her own agenda. Her most famous song is 'Wuthering Heights', 'Running Up That Hill' was pretty big too, but I couldn't start on a list of her best - there are so many.

alfajeffster
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Well she's definitely not pop or mainstream. Kate has always moved to her own agenda. Her most famous song is 'Wuthering Heights', 'Running Up That Hill' was pretty big too, but I couldn't start on a list of her best - there are so many.
She also did quite a bit of session work (background vocals) with Peter Gabriel- she's great.

Bероника
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Ani DiFranco and Natalie Merchant.

On the list Courtney Love.

AjdeNate!
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM
On that list: Courtney Love.

Overall: Courtney Love (with or without Hole or the ill planned Bastard, and soon to be with the chelsea), Kim Deal (The Breeders lead singer), Nina Gordon (ex-Veruca Salt, whose debut cd from ~2000 is phenomenal!), Louise Post (Veruca Salt, I just love her madly), and Alex Parks (but is she really alt.?).

canadian_bass_2
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Sarah. She just beats out Jewel and Aimee Mann...but she still beats them in my heart! GO BC SINGERS!!!!!!!!!

smarties
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Bjork with P.J Harvey a close second. A few years ago I would have said Tori but she 's so mainstream!!! everything went downhill after ''From the choirgirl hotel'':(

sarza
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:19 PM
on the list i choose Kate Bush :hearts:

hythger
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Courtney Love

JonBcn
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I've been an avid Tori, Courtney and Peej fan since the early nineties, and Kate Bush since even longer...Courtney probably just shades it though for sheer force of persona...

MLF
Nov 17th, 2004, 10:51 PM
If you took out the decidedly non-alt Jewel Kilcher & Sarah McLachlan ( I guess they're not too mainstream either though ) there would be a close poll here between Bjork, Polly & Courtney. And how did I know how JonBcn would vote ? ;)

WorldWar24
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:51 AM
PJ!

Look at my signature :bounce:

ttaM
Nov 18th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Aimee Mann. If only for the reason that the love needed to be spread! She can't go without no votes ;)

I do feel a level of guilt for not voting for Liz or Courtney. As they were the biggest influences on my musical tastes back when I was...12 :o Neither has really done much since...'98 that has made me keep them on the top.