PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Is Nothing Without Vee & Rena

lolo7
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:58 PM
I can't believe the hate and disrespect that people have for those sisters. Tennis was dying till they came along. Everyone wants to find the "great white hope" and they have found it in Sharapova. The sisters have brought depth and respect to the tour. Everyone from John MacEnroe to Boris Becker use to diss the WTA, not anymore since the Williams have elevated the came.Sharapova won a million dollars in one day yeaterday because womens tennis has become a popular sport the females are making big bucks because of the sisters. The sisters have paved the way for the up and coming like Sprem, Golovan and Sharapova. Serena has played in some of the most exciting matches in recent history. Serena has a great personality, she made the YEC entertaining this year and drew record breaking crowds. I don't recall who won last year. Evey tennis coach at every tennis academy are teaching their players how to play like a Williams. I'm sure Urri Sharapovas dad sat down with his daughter and watched every single taped of the Williams. Yes the sisters struggled this year because everyone has adopted their style of play which is agression and going for every shot. Sharapova is about to get a perfume line and a movie made about her based on her life. WTF?
Sharapova is capatilizing off of what the sisters started. I hope the sister rededicate themselves to regain their rightful place on the throne.

dav abu
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Tennis was fine before the William's came along and it will be fine after them. The sport is bigger than any one player. I come from Ireland where tennis is a minority sport but most people always had respect for the WTA from the time of Navrativo to Graf through to the William's. There can be no denying that the Williams along with Anna Kournikova brought extra publicity to the sport but the womens tour was certainly not dying!!!

Jeleno Benesovo
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Tennis is more than the williamses :rolleyes:

tondinh
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Actually the Williams sisters are nothing without tennis.

heartBREAKeRS
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Bitch... wanna fight
:mad:

heartBREAKeRS
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I can't believe the hate and disrespect that people have for those sisters. Tennis was dying till they came along. Everyone wants to find the "great white hope" and they have found it in Sharapova. The sisters have brought depth and respect to the tour. Everyone from John MacEnroe to Boris Becker use to diss the WTA, not anymore since the Williams have elevated the came.Sharapova won a million dollars in one day yeaterday because womens tennis has become a popular sport the females are making big bucks because of the sisters. The sisters have paved the way for the up and coming like Sprem, Golovan and Sharapova. Serena has played in some of the most exciting matches in recent history. Serena has a great personality, she made the YEC entertaining this year and drew record breaking crowds. I don't recall who won last year. Evey tennis coach at every tennis academy are teaching their players how to play like a Williams. I'm sure Urri Sharapovas dad sat down with his daughter and watched every single taped of the Williams. Yes the sisters struggled this year because everyone has adopted their style of play which is agression and going for every shot. Sharapova is about to get a perfume line and a movie made about her based on her life. WTF?
Sharapova is capatilizing off of what the sisters started. I hope the sister rededicate themselves to regain their rightful place on the throne.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Martian Jeza
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM

I fully agree

Joana
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:21 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Martian Jeza
Bitch... wanna fight

Yeepeeh, we've found a tennis hool :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeleno Benesovo
Williams fans get over it! Masha owns Serena's butt and Venus is over!

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I agree that the WTA Tour needs the Willaims sisters to be healthy and playing well for an entire year. That would be very good for women's tennis.

Tichi
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Ok, the williams sisters made their mark on the tour, they were probably the ones who generally initiated the hard-hitting style of play. At least they're most known for that. They're both great players and they will always be that. But you have to face it, it's not anymore like 10 years ago, when one player could dominate the sport for several years. People got familiar with that type of play and adjusted their own games.
And it was about time for the 'next big thing', it came with Sharapova. Last year it were the belgians that made noise, now it's Maria. Before that it were the Williamses but they're not the only ones anymore.

heartBREAKeRS
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:31 PM

you say it now, but no the williams sister really looking for revenge.. and it gonna be MAria and lindsay

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Nope.....To most people the sisters are only good for tennis when they compete but donīt actually WIN....they need to stay in the sport because they are two of the few players who can actually bring fans to the stadiums, but thatīs the only good thing about them....sadly, but thatīs the reality in tennis right now. Need Serena to make the YEC entertaining, but itīs better when she doesnīt WIN it.

Jaime Bahena
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I agree that the WTA Tour needs the Willaims sisters to be healthy and playing well for an entire year. That would be very good for women's tennis.

What about a healthy, b*tch slappin' Maria? Do you think her winning everything would be good for the game?

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Good question...the excuse with the sisters was that the same player winning everything is boring and bad for the game....wonder if Maria ever follows in that path, what the reactions are gonna be.

SzavayFi
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Hmm, the point of this thread really is.........TO START FIGHTS, YEA THATS RIGHT~

bovina_forever
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Come on she is soooooo lucky that Serena got hurt

pav
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:52 PM
There is not a shadow of doubt the whole wide World would have been devoid of all tennis by now if those two swinging sisters had not come a skipping and a hopping along, it just would have been a memory by now, dead ,buried and practically forgotten,except in stories told to Grandchildren by the odd Grandparent who found the time to pass on the sad story of the demise of this once popular sport. A shiver always passes though Me every time I think of just how close Our favorite sport came to extinction, surely a statue is the least We can do, Sistas-Thank You both for saving the sport We love!

SzavayFi
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM
The tennis world would not be anything without Venus and Serena, they really bring spark into the game, their odd outfits, u just gotta love them!

apoet29
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Nope.....To most people the sisters are only good for tennis when they compete but donīt actually WIN....they need to stay in the sport because they are two of the few players who can actually bring fans to the stadiums, but thatīs the only good thing about them....sadly, but thatīs the reality in tennis right now. Need Serena to make the YEC entertaining, but itīs better when she doesnīt WIN it.
Considering that Serena is such a huge draw and hasn't won a major title since 2003, don't you think that the powers that be would want her to win? More people were pulling for Serena last night than I have ever seen before and that was before her injury. People want to see the sisters win. They just don't want to see them or anyone else dominate the sport. If Maria starts dominanting, which I don't think will happen, talk will start that she is boring and that her domination is bad for the sport.

the cat
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:06 AM
No Jaime, I don't think Maria winning everything would be good for women's tennis. And she won't win everything or dominae like Steffi Graf or Martina Navratilova in part because there has never been all time great women's tennis player 6' tall or taller in the class of Graf, Navratilova, Evert or Seles. And Maria is over 6' tall.

Well said apoet.

jacobruiz
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Considering that Serena is such a huge draw and hasn't won a major title since 2003, don't you think that the powers that be would want her to win? More people were pulling for Serena last night than I have ever seen before and that was before her injury. People want to see the sisters win. They just don't want to see them or anyone else dominate the sport. If Maria starts dominanting, which I don't think will happen, talk will start that she is boring and that her domination is bad for the sport.
Good post! The sisters are far from done, in fact, if they would rededicate themselves to the sport in 2005 and stayed healthy, they would certainly bring excitement and excellence to tennis. With Kim and Justine back and Maria maturing, with Lindsay staying in for at least one more year, no one would dominate and we'd have the most competitive tennis in a decade or more! And that's not even mentioning the other Russians and the 14-16 year-olds.

thelittlestelf
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Oh how badly I want an all Williams final.

I need it like I do air.

jenny161185
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:00 AM
to say tennis was dying before they came along is stupid as is to say the reason Sharapova won A Million dollars yesterday because of the williams' is also silly, check Hingis' bank balance after 97 and you'll see also prizemoney has increased with inflation, but ofcourse the williams and all the other great champions attract attention to the sport and are good for it,but it aint just them

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:22 AM

O.k...point well taken. Specially your last part...didnīt see it that way.

Back_hand_78
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM

And this coming from someone who is a fan of Jelena Dokic? :rolleyes:
What is she ranked now?? Oh i forgot , outside top 100.

As for tennis, yes i agree that there is no one player that is responsible for raising the interest in tennis. It was the Williams sisters and Hingis/Kournikova then Davenport then Capriati, then the Belgians, then the Russians (having won 3 of this year Majors)

Point is it evolves depending on who plays well and have the marketablitly factor. I mean right now if Sharapova looks like Kuznetosva (no offence, she plays good tennis but not so in the the looks department) , will she have gotten and gained all the endorsements? Its all about money, money, money

bandabou
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:41 AM
But the bigger point is indeed true: NO player is bigger than the sport.

Love them or hate them, my girls are good for the sport......but they are NOT bigger than the sport, that it means the sport is dead without them.

russophile
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:49 AM
i trust that that is just an american's opinion

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Great White Hope?! What the @##!! Tennis was not dying & the 03 US Open Had great matches and drama without them yes they are great players but tennis is great with or without them ....Maria is talented and marketable believe me the Williams sisters get plenty of $ to say the least Maria beat Serena twice this year and Venus once! Go Maria!:)

silverwhite
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM
But the bigger point is indeed true: NO player is bigger than the sport.

Love them or hate them, my girls are good for the sport......but they are NOT bigger than the sport, that it means the sport is dead without them.

Well said. You have to admit that the sisters have brought an overwhelming number of fans (including myself) and great media attention to the game. But to say that tennis is nothing without them? :confused:

Navratilove
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I don't know about this is a global thing but in my country it seems there's a trend that the less we hear of the Williamses, the more popular the sport has gotten...so from this, I woudl like to make a different conclusion: Tennis is better without the sisiters. But it's just my perception.. so doesn't mean they are a bad thing for tennis.

Jaime Bahena
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Come on she is soooooo lucky that Serena got hurt

Which match did Serena get hurt? Wimbledon or YEC?

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Hmmmmm I beg to differ when it was recorded that 50% of the audience left last week after Serena finished her matches. ;) I guarantee you...if you mention WTA tennis....The Williams Sisters name will ALWAYS pop up.... :worship:

faboozadoo15
Nov 19th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Hmmmmm I beg to differ when it was recorded that 50% of the audience left last week after Serena finished her matches. ;) I guarantee you...if you mention WTA tennis....The Williams Sisters name will ALWAYS pop up.... :worship:
this was la...
and doesn't that say something about the people who watch serena play anyway? i don't think this is a positive thing in any arena. they aren't fans of tennis anyway, so why even include them in the big picture?

MistyGrey
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Williams sisters good for Tennis? Yes
Was Tennis dying before Williams sisters? You have got to be kidding me!

Grohl
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
tennis is nothing without kim

heartBREAKeRS
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Hello have Uoy guys forgot something:rolleyes: , it was the williams sister who bought the POWER game to tennis, dont forget that, And YES the tennis was dying, befor they came and save tennis.. face it.. duhh.

So totaly RESPECT to SERENA AND VENUS...

IF you totaly disagree, then I can say that the " serena & Venus" save me:drool:

manu32
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM
yes........

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Have you actually seen tennis before 2000? The year of 1999-2000 was the best! It was so much competitive and lots of healthy players past then.

Greatest
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Not to take away anything from the Williams sisters who have been major assets for women's tennis BUT they are also nothing without tennis.

Serena would probably be a struggling actress in LA while Venus would be a struggling Interior Designer in New York.

It was the sport of tennis who brought them fame and fortune...

MistyGrey
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Williams sisters improved power tennis... but it was Margaret Court who introduced it.. Martina N took it to another level, Steffi improved it further, Monica and Jen raised the bar and Mary took it to a whole new level. Lindsay and the Williamses porbably hit harder, but they didnt invent power tennis.