PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo Withdraws From Fed Cup Semifinal

tennisIlove09
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Mauresmo Withdraws From Fed Cup Semifinal
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/MauresmoChampsS.Mullane.jpg
Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
11/17/2004

Defending Fed Cup champion France will be without its best player when it faces Spain in the Fed Cup semifinals later this month. Amelie Mauresmo withdrew from the Fed Cup final four today, citing the need to take time off and prepare for January's Australian Open.
"I will not take part in the Fed Cup," Mauresmo said in a statement on her official web site Amelie-Mauresmo.com (http://www.amelie-mauresmo.com/fr/index.asp). "This decision was extremely hard to take. But my objective is to win a Grand Slam, so I had to do it."

French Fed Cup captain Guy Forget has not yet announced a replacement for the former Australian Open finalist. Former French Open champion Mary Pierce, Nathalie Dechy and 16-year-old Tatiana Golovin form the French squad. France meets Spain in the first best-of-five match semifinal with two singles matches scheduled for Wednesday, November 24th followed by two singles and a doubles match set for Thursday, November 25th. Anabel Medina Garrigues, Maria Antonia Sanchez Lorenzo, Virginia Ruano Pascual and Marta Marrero form the Spanish squad captained by Miguel Margets.

The second-ranked Mauresmo set securing the year-end top spot and winning Fed Cup as her primary goals for the final month of the season, but her bid to attain the No. 1 rank was denied by Serena Williams, who beat Mauresmo in Sunday's WTA Tour championships semifinal.

The winner of the France-Spain semifinal will take on either host Russia or Austria in the Fed Cup final at the Krylatskoe Ice Stadium in Moscow.

A pair of Grand Slam champions — Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina and U.S. Open champ Svetlana Kuznetsova — lead Russia, which will play without Wimbledon winner Maria Sharapova and two-time Grand Slam finalist Elena Dementieva. Russian captain Shamil Tarpischev, who led the Russian Davis Cup team to its first Davis Cup championship against host France in 2002, chose Vera Zvonareva and Elena Likhovtseva to round out the Russian squad. Ranked third in the world in doubles, Likhovtseva partnered Kuznetsova to reach the semifinals of the year-end WTA Tour Championships where the second-seeded pair fell to Nadia Petrova and Meghann Shaughnessy Sunday night.

Russia is an overwhelming favorite to reach the final as it hosts an Austrian squad of Sybille Bammer, Yvonne Meusburger, Patricia Wartusch and Daniela Kix. Austrian veteran Barbara Schett, who announced she will retire after the 2005 Australian Open, was forced to withdraw from the team after undergoing surgery to repair torn ligaments in her right ankle.

Under Fed Cup regulations, a nation may change up to two nominations until one hour before the draw, which will be held on Tuesday, November 23rd. For more information, please visit the official Fed Cup (http://www.fedcup.com/) web site.

Tylane
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Forget is furious and very disapointed ! (even if he's one of her closets friends), and lots people are shoked by her decision.

ali
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed in Amelie too. She only said a few days ago that her priortites this year were to become world number one, retain the Fed Cup and to get a Grand Slam. Although I can understand a little that Amelie wants to concentrate on being ready for next year, its such a shame that one of the most ardent supporters of the Fed Cup has decided its not a priority for her anymore.

I also thought she let Mary down at the Olympics in the doubles to concentrate on her own chances of a medal, but that's another story......

I just hope that for Amelie's sake, she doesn't put even more pressure on herself at the Grand Slams through decisions like these. It reminds me a bit of Lendl when he so desperately wanted to win Wimbledon, his whole season revolved around it - at the expense of other tournaments - like the French Open.

Amelie talks a good fight "I'm the player to beat at the YEC" but still hasn't delivered yet. IMO the last thing she needs to do is heap yet more pressure on herself and upset those people who have supported her and stood by her for the past few years.

pav
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:52 PM
And don't forget, Forget isn't One to forget things easily!

Sonja
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it here too...

I was shocked but pleased with this decision. She's played a hell of a lot of tennis as of late and needs to rest a bit and also to work on serve, shots, strategy, etc.

She's really accomplished a lot this year and has paid her dues to France. If she's the ONLY player they have that can bring it home to France, that's not saying much about the rest of the team now is it? I don't understand why this is all on her shoulders.

Forget knew it was coming, she'd given him advance notice, but held off with her final decision until after the YEC so he had some time to prepare to add another member.

Now its time to focus on herself. I just think she's tired both mentally and physically and sometimes one has to put oneself first.

Linnie
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:00 PM
I've said it elsewhere but I'll say it here too...

I was shocked but pleased with this decision. She's played a hell of a lot of tennis as of late and needs to rest a bit and also to work on serve, shots, strategy, etc.

She's really accomplished a lot this year and has paid her dues to France. If she's the ONLY player they have that can bring it home to France, that's not saying much about the rest of the team now is it? I don't understand why this is all on her shoulders.

Forget knew it was coming, she'd given him advance notice, but held off with her final decision until after the YEC so he had some time to prepare to add another member.

Now its time to focus on herself. I just think she's tired both mentally and physically and sometimes one has to put oneself first.Couldn't have said it better myself.

Pengwin
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Myskina, Kusnetsova, Zvonareva, Lihosvsteva

versus

Dechy, Golovin, Loit and Pierce?!

May as well hand Russia the title.

Sonja
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:03 PM
stranger things have happened ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I also thought she let Mary down at the Olympics in the doubles to concentrate on her own chances of a medal, but that's another story......

Erm, I was under the impression that Mary was still playing singles at that point, and that Amelie pulling out of doubles possibly benefited both. Of course, I would have been under the WRONG impression.

Wiggly
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:06 PM
I don't see France defend their title

Wiggly
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:38 PM
The 4th player will be BARTOLI :eek:

Lapin
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:44 PM
It's a good decision for her I think, (sorry for anyone who was going to be in Moscow and hoping to see Amélie). All the top players have done this at various times: Justine, Kim, Venus, Serena, Lindsay etc., when Fed Cup didn't fit into their schedule. Last year Amélie had such a short break over the winter, and it just wasn't enough; it maybe could have been the reason that she got injured at the Aus. Open. (She's not playing the Ciney Exhibition this year just before Christmas either, presumably for the same reason.)

Bette_Midler
Nov 16th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed in Amelie too. She only said a few days ago that her priortites this year were to become world number one, retain the Fed Cup and to get a Grand Slam. Although I can understand a little that Amelie wants to concentrate on being ready for next year, its such a shame that one of the most ardent supporters of the Fed Cup has decided its not a priority for her anymore.

I just hope that for Amelie's sake, she doesn't put even more pressure on herself at the Grand Slams through decisions like these. It reminds me a bit of Lendl when he so desperately wanted to win Wimbledon, his whole season revolved around it - at the expense of other tournaments - like the French Open.

Amelie talks a good fight "I'm the player to beat at the YEC" but still hasn't delivered yet. IMO the last thing she needs to do is heap yet more pressure on herself and upset those people who have supported her and stood by her for the past few years.

I agree with all your words ali! As an Amélie fan, I am FURIOUS AND VERY DISAPPOINTED too :mad: :fiery: for many reasons....not only because of the Fed Cup situation or her perfomance against Serena at the Masters...it's for other reasons more .... ...

I think maybe she has become very big headed since she got to No1. Amélie's way is selfish and cowardly for many reasons...I have lost part of my respect for her as a tennis player....

the solution is not more hard training or improving her serve or her muscles or her shots....that's not the real problem! She needs work in a group, with Guy Forget...her great and loyal friend, fight for France, with her spiritual brother, and her friends from French team! To be part of a team, a family and recover in with the help of her love of tennis and the pleasure she gets from playing! To play for the love of the sport...enjoy the shots and enjoy the play, but not for not obtains points for her ranking, number one spot, GS, or money

It's not important whether france win the Fed Cup or not - the important thing is being part of the team! Amélie was the spiritual guide for the French team...imagine how it feels now for Guy and her friends from French team (and for a lot of her fans include me)

I don't know what has happened in Amélie's head, but I think that she has psychological problems and maybe she has bad advisors.....not a good circle of friends around her!

pierce0415
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:09 AM
If Amelie is so focused on the #1 ranking, why is she playing the Hong Kong exhibition at the beginning of the year?

Lapin
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:16 AM
To get some 'unpressured' match practice, against good opposition (Svetlana, Maria & Venus), before Sydney and the Aus Open I would guess.

ali
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:27 AM

That's a pretty unfair comment I think - no need to undermine the rest of the team. Its not about her having to lead the team (and have it all on her shoulders), its about her position within the team. My disappointment at her not playing isn't because I don't think France have a hope of winning now she's not playing - more that she has let her team mates and Guy down. Dechy, Loit, Golovin and Mary have all been reserve players for the French team this year but have still made the effort to go to the tie and support their team mates. I'm sure they would have liked some rest too :confused:

Guy also said that if the tie had been in France, Amelie said she would have played.

I don't know whether she's got a new set of advisors or something, but she seems to be using the tact of being more outspoken (possibly to psyche herself up?) lately and now this. It doesn't seem like the same player who last year was in tears after France won the cup and said it was her proudest achievement to date in tennis.

Guy has been a huge support to Amelie over the years and she's also had close support from Mary this year (the Olympics/Canadian Open). I wonder the rest of the team think of her decision.

fammmmedspin
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:46 AM
What pray is she going to be doing that would stop her playing the Fed Cup? Her game is fine. Its difficult to see what shecould realistically improve other than her head. Myskina and Kuznetsova both stayed as long in LA and seem to be playing the year out and they have played more all year too (more so as they play doubles)

Confidence is a funny old thing though and you can see why she might not want to try and win and fail again. It might be especially bad if she lost to the players right behind her in the rankings or even if France lost because her number 2 is weaker than Myskina's and Russia have superior doubles players.. Claiming that its to prepare to win The AO though is just silly it suggests she either is so confident she is talking too much or so unconfident she keeps setting herself goals somewhere over the rainbow to reassure herself she will win something. She is now even beginning to sound like Tim Henman.

Lapin
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:08 AM
What pray is she going to be doing that would stop her playing the Fed Cup? Her game is fine. Its difficult to see what shecould realistically improve other than her head. Myskina and Kuznetsova both stayed as long in LA and seem to be playing the year out and they have played more all year too (more so as they play doubles).

Part of Amélie's journal from her official website:

"Avant tout, je voulais vous dire que cette décision a été extrêmement difficile à prendre, notamment au niveau affectif. Voilà, je ne participerai pas à la phase finale de la Fed Cup. Renoncer à une sélection, ce n’est jamais facile mais par rapport à mes objectifs de remporter un tournoi du Grand Chelem, il fallait que je passe par là. Dans cette saison et la précédente j’ai eu beaucoup de charge de travail et si je veux aborder 2005 dans les meilleures conditions, je devais faire cette impasse.
A un moment donné dans une carrière, s’il on veut encore aller plus haut comme l’on fait toutes les plus grandes joueuses, il y a des choix difficiles à prendre. Je crois que pour moi, le moment est venu même si j’ai longtemps réfléchi avant de me décider. Bien sûr Guy Forget et toute l’équipe étaient au courant depuis plusieurs semaines et je lui ai téléphoné après le Masters pour l’informer de ma décision définitive.
Pour moi, cela signifie que je vais couper une quinzaine de jours avant de débuter une préparation hivernale qui durera environ 5 semaines. Je travaillerai beaucoup le physique mais aussi la technique comme le service. Il a évolué c’est sûr mais il reste perfectible dans la constance. Le coup droit aussi doit être amélioré.
.......Je vais donc maintenant récupérer car j’en ai besoin. Sur le plan physique et mental, la saison a été très éprouvante."

Babelfished etc:

"Forfeit for the EDF Cup "
Tuesday November 16, 2004
"Above all, I wanted to say to you that this decision was extremely difficult to take, in particular on the emotional level. Here, I will not take part in the final phase of the Fed Cup. To give up a selection, it is never easy, but compared to my objectives to win a Grand Slam, it was necessary that I pass by there. In this season and the preceding one I had a great workload, and if I want to approach 2005 under the best conditions, I was to make this forfeit. At one time given in a career, if one wants to still go higher like all the great players, there are difficult choices difficult to take. I believe that for me, the moment has come, even if I reflected a long time before deciding. Of course Guy Forget and all the team had been well-informed for several weeks, and I telephoned him after Masters to inform him of my final decision. For me, that means that I will break for about fifteen days before beginning a winter preparation which will last approximately 5 weeks. I will work a lot on the physique but also the technique like the service. It evolved/moved that's for sure but there remains perfectible in constancy. The forehand also must be improved.
..... I thus now will recover because I need some. On the physical and mental level, the season was very testing."

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Have Justine, Kim, Lindsay, Venus, Serena and Maria gotten this much flack over not playing Fed Cup? Last year, Belgium sent their scrubs to the semis, and I didn't hear a peep about Kim and Justine not playing :rolleyes: Same for the U.S. team - none of their players in the top ten showed up for the finals, and there wasn't this much shit about it.

Amélie has been carrying the weight of France on her shoulders for, like, the last three years. She's gotten them their first Fed Cup in years. She won the silver medal for them. She's given 1000% of herself for them. I think she's entitled to doing what's best for HER now. She's played hard over the last three weeks - winning two tournaments and getting to the semis at the YEC - over many time zones.

Geez, give Amélie a break, why dontcha?

Ryan
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
I'm SO happy with this! The last thing Amelie needs to do is play more tennis. She needs a nice, long break after an amazingly consistant yet somewhat dissapointing year. It's good to see that Momo WANTS a slam bad enough that she'll give up something she loves to strive for winning it. :D

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:39 AM
I'm SO happy with this! The last thing Amelie needs to do is play more tennis. She needs a nice, long break after an amazingly consistant yet somewhat dissapointing year. It's good to see that Momo WANTS a slam bad enough that she'll give up something she loves to strive for winning it. :DA voice of reason! :worship:

MinnyGophers
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Have Justine, Kim, Lindsay, Venus, Serena and Maria gotten this much flack over not playing Fed Cup? Last year, Belgium sent their scrubs to the semis, and I didn't hear a peep about Kim and Justine not playing :rolleyes: Same for the U.S. team - none of their players in the top ten showed up for the finals, and there wasn't this much shit about it.

Amélie has been carrying the weight of France on her shoulders for, like, the last three years. She's gotten them their first Fed Cup in years. She won the silver medal for them. She's given 1000% of herself for them. I think she's entitled to doing what's best for HER now. She's played hard over the last three weeks - winning two tournaments and getting to the semis at the YEC - over many time zones.

Geez, give Amélie a break, why dontcha?

very true!!!
Amelie has won the Fed Cup for them already, and they need to be able to not rely on Amelie for everything! They have other young great players who can very well play without her, and if they lose, they lose. It's not like Momo is going to hang around forever to carry the team.
Amelie needs to get some rest for what she wants the most: A Slam. And the Australian is her best chance to finally achieving that dream. She achieved the French's dream, now let her achieve her own.

Sonja
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:55 AM
That's a pretty unfair comment I think - no need to undermine the rest of the team. Its not about her having to lead the team (and have it all on her shoulders), its about her position within the team. My disappointment at her not playing isn't because I don't think France have a hope of winning now she's not playing - more that she has let her team mates and Guy down. Dechy, Loit, Golovin and Mary have all been reserve players for the French team this year but have still made the effort to go to the tie and support their team mates. I'm sure they would have liked some rest too :confused:

Guy also said that if the tie had been in France, Amelie said she would have played.

I don't know whether she's got a new set of advisors or something, but she seems to be using the tact of being more outspoken (possibly to psyche herself up?) lately and now this. It doesn't seem like the same player who last year was in tears after France won the cup and said it was her proudest achievement to date in tennis.

Guy has been a huge support to Amelie over the years and she's also had close support from Mary this year (the Olympics/Canadian Open). I wonder the rest of the team think of her decision.
I'm NOT undermining the team. I think Mary can lead them just fine. She plays VERY well when playing for her country. My guess is that as tennis players, playing year round, the girls understand what a toll it can take mentally and physically, and while they are surely disappointed, I doubt they hold it against her. I'd bet money that put in the same position they'd do the same thing.

There's no sin in being tired and wanting a break to take care of yourself. There's no sin in wanting to be the best tennis player in the world. I think it is a great sign that she wants to win a Slam and that she's willing to do something different to achieve it. Just my opinion though, as you're entitled to yours, as well.

Bette_Midler
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:06 AM
And gabrielle, where is Conchita? I don't see her on the Spanish team, yet you're bitching big time over Amélie :rolleyes:

Linnie, I reply to your post with tears in my eyes - Conchita can't play in the Fed Cup because she has an injury to her achilles tendon. There is a possibility that she will retire from tennis due to this injury because she will need operations on it!

She has tried to come back to training but because of her bad form at present, prefers to decline from playing in the Fed Cup final. She thinks that a younger and healthier player can give more to the team than herself at this moment.

If it was possible for her to play she would - she knows the true meaning of being a loyal part of a team. If she wanted to, she could play and increase her amazing Fed Cup record even further to 5 titles - but she has nothing further to prove in her career, after all - at least she has won a slam title during her long and successful career

GoDominique
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Well, I would prefer to see ALL top-players withdrawing from Fed Cup, just to show the officials what a crap event this has become. :)

Good decision Amelie :)

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry - I didn't know that. I know she hadn't played in a while, but didn't think she was injured. I hope she'll be healthy enough to come back for another year.

But on the other hand, Amélie has won the Fed Cup for France, and I'm sure there'll be many more, too. This was NOT an easy decision for her at all. I just think that the response to her not playing now is a bit too harsh.

vogus
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:24 AM
This is the best decision that Amelie has made in a LONG time. At this point in her career, the Fed Cup is a distant priority for her career behind winning a Grand Slam title, and she showed some courage to cut the inconveniently timed FC event out of her schedule. The people who are criticizing Amelie for this decision, are those who have their own best interests at heart, and not Amelie's. It's not Momo's fault that the Fed Cup is horribly scheduled from the point of view of top players who should be ending their season at the YEC. I hope she gets some well deserved rest and that this move pays off for her.

vogus
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Well, I would prefer to see ALL top-players withdrawing from Fed Cup, just to show the officials what a crap event this has become. :)

Good decision Amelie :)
basically, that has already happened, with the exception of Russia, which has an eight-player reservoir to choose from. If they want to have the top players, they need to finish the event before the YEC, turn it into a single-week event, or maybe have it every second year.

GoDominique
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:31 AM
basically, that has already happened, with the exception of Russia, which has an eight-player reservoir to choose from. If they want to have the top players, they need to finish the event before the YEC, turn it into a single-week event, or maybe have it every second year.
Single-week event is good. :)

Next year's final is scheduled to take place right after the US Open. :o

fammmmedspin
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:35 AM
. I will work a lot on the physique but also the technique like the service. It evolved/moved that's for sure but there remains perfectible in constancy. The forehand also must be improved.
..... I thus now will recover because I need some. On the physical and mental level, the season was very testing."
Yes but thats true of every player in the Fed Cup SF. Its more true of Nastya and Sveta who played more and look more tired and its certainly true of Nastya whose serve has been off and her shoulder injured since the FO. Its true Nastya doesn't have to travel but Sveta has to go further than Momo. They all could do with the Fed Cup not being where it is but someone has to turn up and play.

I think the word "testing " at the end tells the real story which is that she will need time to get over not getting number 1 or the YEC and the manner of her narrow loss to Serena and she does not want more pressure or losses while she is recovering. It would have been far better just to say she was too tired - except it would be too early to be too tired when the Fed Cup is over a week off..

Bette_Midler
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:42 AM
But on the other hand, Amélie has won the Fed Cup for France, and I'm sure there'll be many more, .

The Fed Cup was won by the whole of the French Team...not by just one player! Amelie was part of that team, and the others see her as their spiritual guide - I just cannot understand how she can let down the rest of the team, when they show her so much respect and admiration.

Personally, I think Amé is selfish at the moment, but that is my opinion! I am not bitching big time over Amélie. It is only my opinion, I am fan of momo (but not a taliban momofan ) and I am entitled to give my opinion, whether other people agree or not! I think the way Momo is behaving right now is not correct.

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Well then, we agree to disagree ;)

And I didn't mean that Momo single-handedly won the Fed Cup ;)

Bumsby
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Well then, we agree to disagree ;)

And I didn't mean that Momo single-handedly won the Fed Cup ;)
Right, in fact she won it single-handed-back-handedly :)

MistyGrey
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. I completely understand her decision.

10nisfanofruz
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Mauresmo wants to be a GS champion so much. I feel pity for her not be able to do it this year and it was a sad story because this year there are 3 russians who won GS despite the first final apperance. Amelie must be devastated esp. knowing that Maria won YEC. :lol:

---------------------------------------
RUSSIA WILL WIN FED CUP :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Why isn't Maria in Russian Fed cup team???? :confused:

swiss
Nov 17th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Linnie, I reply to your post with tears in my eyes - Conchita can't play in the Fed Cup because she has an injury to her achilles tendon. There is a possibility that she will retire from tennis due to this injury because she will need operations on it!

She has tried to come back to training but because of her bad form at present, prefers to decline from playing in the Fed Cup final. She thinks that a younger and healthier player can give more to the team than herself at this moment.

If it was possible for her to play she would - she knows the true meaning of being a loyal part of a team. If she wanted to, she could play and increase her amazing Fed Cup record even further to 5 titles - but she has nothing further to prove in her career, after all - at least she has won a slam title during her long and successful career

that's your right not to approve that decision ;)
Let me tell you that Nathalie for instance understand it very much (in l'Equipe this morming) and would be pleased to see Amélie again in the team in 2005.
For that moment Guy is too angry (and he have to, as a captain and a close friend of her) to say the same thing, but both Jerôme Bianchi the physiotherapist and Gilles Daubinet "the doc" of the french team are ok with Amélie.
Both of them perfectly know how bad for the health is too much high level sport :drool:
Last year, she did a lot for that team, this year again and I really think that nobody (except Guy :devil: ) can juge that decision, which was very heartbreaking for her (how can she resist to that man ? :p )

jaex
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Amelie seems to have a fragile body and i totally support her decision.For one she is not getting any younger she will be 26 next year and i can see why winning a slam would be a top priority for her and why she needs the time to get herself ready.

For those Amelie haters chill yo!!

deep bass
Nov 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Amelie has already won a Fed Cup, but players are judged on their GS wins as to whether they are Champions or not. If I was Amelie, I would concentrate on Slams rather than a title that she has already won. BTW, what was the reaction to Roger Federer not playing Davis Cup to concentrate on his No1 ranking?

swiss
Nov 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM
right :worship: some blame Amélie and only her even though all the great players didn't play this year the FED cup except Myskina (who was exhausted at the YEC :rolleyes: )

Jorn
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
The 4th player will be BARTOLI :eek:
Where did you get this info? about Marion Bartoli in the team as 4th player? On the FED CUP website, they write Loit is in the team...

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
The team will be Dechy, Pierce, Golovin and Loit. Marion will be the reserve :)

MinnyGophers
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM
The Fed Cup was won by the whole of the French Team...not by just one player! Amelie was part of that team, and the others see her as their spiritual guide - I just cannot understand how she can let down the rest of the team, when they show her so much respect and admiration.

Personally, I think Amé is selfish at the moment, but that is my opinion! I am not bitching big time over Amélie. It is only my opinion, I am fan of momo (but not a taliban momofan ) and I am entitled to give my opinion, whether other people agree or not! I think the way Momo is behaving right now is not correct.

the chances that Momo win a slam get slimmer every year as she gets older. The Fed Cup can wait, Amelie has to think about herserlf first. If you say she is selfish for letting the team down ( even though she was a big part in their win last year), then how selfish would the team be for not understanding that Amelie wants a slam. They can wait wait a few more years, she can't.
And i know that most of the players understand and actually support her. And it will take some time for Guy, but as a friend, he should know that she has a career too.

griffin
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
gabs, when Linnie and I show up at your door with rubber hoses and police batons, THEN you can start whining about momo fan "Taliban," not before ;)

Linnie
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM
gabs, when Linnie and I show up at your door with rubber hoses and police batons, THEN you can start whining about momo fan "Taliban," not before ;)Exactly :armed: ;)