PDA

View Full Version : Are you disappointed by todayís fans behaviour - or do players share the blame?

Abandon
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:57 PM
When you witness the behaviour of what may perhaps be termed extremist fans, are you sadden by the voiced loathing they have for one and other, or does it not surprise now at all? Do you wonder why they conduct themselves in this inappropriate manner?
Many say the actions of some players, and their entourage, unquestionably does not help the situation, but instead it incites discord, and animosity within certain sections of the WTA Tour spectrum. Could some players be blamed for promoting unsporting acknowledgement, and showing very little etiquette when playing nowadays - or does the fault lie solely with the fans themselves? Would it merit bringing the game into disrepute, or is it whatís perceived today as good television/ sporting entertainment.

Today there seems to be a lessening of appreciation and understanding. When previously there was a genuine camaraderie between many players and fans alike.
There was a entire commitment by players for success, but it was built with a sporting rivalry, and respect for one and other within the tour.

Many of todayís fans it could be said have a lack of reverence, for each others point of view. And what begins as a debate/discussion, soon spirals into a quagmire of finger pointing , and hostility towards one and other.Each showing a dogged determination to blame the other for whatever solace they can gain, from their differing favourites misfortunes.

It is unquestionable that not all fans behave in this mode, but they seem few and far between in todayís game.

Truthwillout
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Tennis fans still have a long way to go before stooping as low as some (so-called) soccer fans.

Abandon
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Tennis fans still have a long way to go before stooping as low as some (so-called) soccer fans.

Give them time. Itís quite probable that many fans who post on this board have never in fact attended a tournament.

Correct me if Iím wrong.
During the Virginia Slims tournament, when Gabriela Sabatini was playing Natalia Zvereva. The umpire made or refused to change a line call which resulted in Sabatini losing the match.

Then many irate fans decided upon themselves to dislodge the seats around them, and throw them, and various itmes courtside.

SjuTjuD
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Actually it's the nature that is the internet and message board. We could be talking soap operas and characters would be pitted against each other.

Truthwillout
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Give them time. Itís quite probable that many fans who post on this board have never in fact attended a tournament.

Correct me if Iím wrong.
During the Virginia Slims tournament, when Gabriela Sabatini was playing Natalia Zvereva. The umpire made or refused to change a line call which resulted in Sabatini losing the match.

Then many irate fans decided upon themselves to dislodge the seats around them, and throw them, and various itmes courtside.

I don't remember this particular incident but yes of course such things do happen in tennis too but certainly not so much as with so many soccer fans. That was my point. I agree with you that it is indeed quite probable that many fans have only embraced certain players for reasons totally alien to tennis itself as shown by so many senseless polls on this board.

Truthwillout
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Actually it's the nature that is the internet and message board. We could be talking soap operas and characters would be pitted against each other.

You're absolutely right there. Imagine political message boards in certain countries now THAT must be something :lol:

Grohl
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:42 PM
the way the players react to each others shouldn't have an influence on how fans react, it's not because they don't like eachother that you shouldn't like 'm.
If everybody thinks that way, nobody would like anybody!