PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Iraq CARE Director Is Dead

lizchris
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
She was the woman who made a video pleading with the British government to do something to spare her life:sad: . Well, I guess they didnt' do a damn thing:fiery: .

ys
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
What could they do? :confused:

irishgirl
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
God rest her soul. Her sister is living quite close to us here and her mother is also from the area. Her family have been going through hell. It is terrible but at least her suffering is over, Margaret Hassan R.I.P.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Margaret Hassan led a wonderful life and did so much to help the Iraqi people and I admire her for all of her goodness. :D And it's a monumental tragedy that her kindness was taken advantage of in this way and murdered because she was from England. :sad: She probably realized this could happen to her abd she still decided to continue living in Iraq and helping the people she dedicated her life to. I admire her courage. I'm sure CARE is very proud of Margaret but very sad that she was killed by the terrorists. I have donated to CARE in the past and I will again because of wonderful people like Margaret Hassan who did so much good work on behalf of CARE and the Iraqi people. :)

sairam2
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:43 PM
ah it,s sad that she died...... :sad: .......these terrorists have no feelings.... :fiery: :mad: ......

ptkten
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I agree with ys, what could they do? It's stupid to negotiate with terrorists. If the U.K. would have given in to their demands, the terrorists would think they could get away with capturing anyone and get what they want. Plus, the terrorists probably would have killed her anyway, even if they got what they wanted.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I agree with ptkten and ys here. It's horrible that this happens but it was out of the British governments hands, imo. As ptkten said, they probably would have killed her anyways.

jacobruiz
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:25 PM
I was so shocked to hear this terrible news. Margaret Hassan spent the last 30 years in Iraq as director of CARE and was married to an Iraqi. There were protests against her kidnapping by Iraqis who were familiar with Care and Ms Hassan. About a week ago I read that Abu (I forget the last name) of the Al Qaida group that has done the beheadings issued a statement asking the kidnappers to let Ms Hassan go free and said that if the kidnappers delivered her to his group as they(the kidnappers) wanted to do, he would immediately release her.
How sad the way this has turned out. Surely the terrorists have lost some credibility in the Arab world for this terrible deed.

V.Melb
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:39 PM
She helps their people, aids Iraqis for decades, shows nothing but compassion for thier people; lives in Iraq, marries an Iraqi..... and they still kill her! :o

....no mercy :(

Fingon
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:44 AM
What could they do? :confused:
I agree plus, I think this could have been a terrible mistake by the terrorists.

They killed a woman that was helping common people, suffering people, and was doing so well before the war started.

She not only wasn't part of the coalition but she was against it.

Let's remember that the terrorist leader is a foreigner, and most of them are. It was always clear to me that the terrorist couldnt' care less for the iraqui people. They only wanted to look tough and ruthless. Beheading a defenseless civilian is not a very brave thing to do, but make you look fearsome.

Now iraquis can start to realize that if the terrorists win, they will be in a far worse situation than they were under Saddam, they will realize the terrorists are not targetting well equipped and trained american troops but innocent civilians, including iraquis. They didn't do much in Fallujah did they?

at the end of the day, the terrorist's survival depends on remaining hidden. The moment the americans know where they are toasted.

Iraq is not Vietnam, or Afghanistan that offer natural sanctuaries, they can only remain hidden if they have a place to stay, and there are not informants willing to reveal where they are.

So far, they have achieved that through direct collaboration (people think they are doing good to Iraq), but less and less people will think this way after this and if they keep killing young iraquis.

The other way is through fear, but they are pushing it too hard, it's clear the terrorists want to establish a taliban style government and they will be worse than under Saddam, so they might start thinking they have nothing to lose.

Personally, I won't drop a tear if a bunker buster bomb falls on Al Sarquawi's head, I am sure he won't be so brave when that happens.

geewhiz
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:46 AM
The trouble is, all the groups that have taken other people condemned what happened to Margaret Hassan and Al-Zarqawi even said that if he fell into the hands of al-Tawhid and Jihad they would release her immediately. The impression they have given is that the people who killed her are outside the circle of groups that work together and support each other, that perhaps they are not even a group like themselves but are simply bandits copying the tactics al-Tawhid and Jihad, Green Brigade, Ansar al-Sunna, etc, have used because they know the reaction that will get, hence the lack of banners in their videos.

Of course all that might be completely untrue and one of them may even have killed her, but it allows them to stress what they see, and what others may see, as the distance between them and the violation of all Islamic, and indeed human, codes that the killing of an innocent women who had worked for Iraq for so long represents.

I agree that there was not much Britain could do. The group took her and kept her even when they were facing condemnation from the Iraqi people and the terrorist groups alike, even when it proved that their demands for the withdrawal of humanitarian agencies went against the needs and will of the Iraqi people, even when CARE withdrew and the Irish, not the British, government negotiated on her behalf. There were numerous times when they could have admitted they had made a mistake and let her go, and the fact that they never did suggested that they never meant to, they were simply waiting for the most opportune moment to kill her, and events in Falluja provided that.

Margaret Hassan did many wonderful and courageous things in her life and helped numerous people in the worst situations, it's a tragedy that her life ended in this way. Like the cat, I've donated to CARE in the past and will continue to do so because of the good work Margaret Hassan and others like her do.

Fingon
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:53 AM
The trouble is, all the groups that have taken other people condemned what happened to Margaret Hassan and Al-Zarqawi even said that if he fell into the hands of al-Tawhid and Jihad they would release her immediately. The impression they have given is that the people who killed her are outside the circle of groups that work together and support each other, that perhaps they are not even a group like themselves but are simply bandits copying the tactics al-Tawhid and Jihad, Green Brigade, Ansar al-Sunna, etc, have used because they know the reaction that will get, hence the lack of banners in their videos.

Of course all that might be completely untrue and one of them may even have killed her, but it allows them to stress what they see, and what others may see, as the distance between them and the violation of all Islamic, and indeed human, codes that the killing of an innocent women who had worked for Iraq for so long represents.

I agree that there was not much Britain could do. The group took her and kept her even when they were facing condemnation from the Iraqi people and the terrorist groups alike, even when it proved that their demands for the withdrawal of humanitarian agencies went against the needs and will of the Iraqi people, even when CARE withdrew and the Irish, not the British, government negotiated on her behalf. There were numerous times when they could have admitted they had made a mistake and let her go, and the fact that they never did suggested that they never meant to, they were simply waiting for the most opportune moment to kill her, and events in Falluja provided that.

Margaret Hassan did many wonderful and courageous things in her life and helped numerous people in the worst situations, it's a tragedy that her life ended in this way. Like the cat, I've donated to CARE in the past and will continue to do so because of the good work Margaret Hassan and others like her do.
of course it's possible but what the Al Sarquawi's group has already done is as bad as this. This case is more touching because she was an aid worker, and a woman, and she cried in front of the cameras, but it's not different of the other civilians that the Al Sarquawi's group beheaded.

What this shows is two possible things.

Either Al Sarquawi realized they really fucked it up this time and their heads are at risk.

Or they are losing the grip, there are rival groups, uncoordinated and competing between them, in any case Al Sarquawi will not be able to stop the backlash, nobody will believe him with what he's done.

FLL
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Simply sad :sad: I wish that the people who did this burn in hell :sad:

RIP Margaret :sad:

geewhiz
Nov 18th, 2004, 02:37 AM
of course it's possible but what the Al Sarquawi's group has already done is as bad as this. This case is more touching because she was an aid worker, and a woman, and she cried in front of the cameras, but it's not different of the other civilians that the Al Sarquawi's group beheaded.
But in the rhetoric Al-Zarqawi and the other groups use, and which the people who support then seem to accept, it is entirely different.

Magaret Hassan was a woman, and killing women and children in such a way is forbidden to them as un-Islamic.

Margaret Hassan worked for a charity, not for the military in any capacity. Civilians who work even as truck drivers for the military to them are on the side of 'the enemy' and are accepted as targets, people who work for aid agencies are not unless they regard them as 'spies', which they didn't in Margaret Hassan's case. I don't think Al-Zarqawi has ever called for aid agencies to leave Iraq.

The only time the main groups in Iraq have stepped outside their self-imposed guidelines is in the cases of Margaret Hassan which they have written off as nothing to do with them, Shosei Koda who they seem to regard as a spy, and the French journalists who were first kidnapped for reasons unrelated to the current situation and who it appears they haven't killed.

To me, killing is killing, but in times of war, the kind of rhetoric Al-Zarqawi, etc, use can be very powerful in convincing people that what they do is a necessary and inevitable part of fighting a war against foreign occupiers, with Abu Ghraib and the orange suits in the videos serving as a reminder of what could happen to them if they lose.

bee
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Sad...
What would they get out of killing an elderly woman... :(
She was no ordinary woman..
She was married to an Iraqi..
and dedicated her life caring for the Iraqi people....
:(

Rollo
Nov 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Geewhiz wrote:Magaret Hassan was a woman, and killing women and children in such a way is forbidden to them as un-Islamic.
Then what about the women in the World trade center or Bali? I realize that you you're not defending Zarqawi GW-and he may make distinctions to protect his public image-but I'm not at all sure he or his followers believe this.