PDA

View Full Version : Players will have to learn HOW to play Sharapova

pigam
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Again, congrats to Maria winning the YEC :yeah:

BUT, I think players will have to learn how to deal with Maria's play,
Just like they had to with Serena and Venus.

Do I sound as if I don't make any sense? :) Quite possible,
but I still think I'm right. Although Maria is a FIIINE player, I can
see a lot of weaknesses which can easily be exploited by crafty players.

I'm not really talking about Serena here, since I think she did all she could
(seeying the circumstances) last night...

BUT, don't you guys think a lot of players undrestimate Maria?
I think they should take her more seiously and THINK about a startegy before
playing her, because there certainly are things that can trouble Maria...

I wonder what will be the solution.
Making her run from left to right sure isn't one!!!

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I suggest grunting louder than she does ...

bandabou
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Good point, pigam.....thatīs why I canīt wait for next year. Itīs easy to come out of nowhere and win..but next year Maria is the one who will be the big bounty everybody wants to beat. Interesting to see how she copes with that.

lolo7
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
This girl is not a complicated player to beat. Did you see Serena in the third set when she was up 4-0? Serena gave her plenty of gifts last nite.

hilde26
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM

I agree.

But I read that she began grunting when she was four.
I think that for a player to surpass her in this area would be very difficult.

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:47 PM
I agree.

But I read that she began grunting when she was four.
I think that for a player to surpass her in this area would be very difficult.
Yep, she was recorded around 100 dB at the Wimbledon gruntometer.
Being able to produce so many decibels and in the same time hitting those strokes is in itself a performance that I would qualify "artistic" !!!

hilde26
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Being able to produce so many decibels and in the same time hitting those strokes is in itself a performance that I would qualify "artistic" !!!

Yeah. I think she over-grunted Serena today. I think if Maria had not have the habit of grunting, coming back from 0-4 deficit would have been a little bit more difficult.

At the end of the 3rd set, Serana grunted and said 'come on' repeateldy. But Maria responded with really loud gurntings.

Chunchun
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM

:haha: :haha:

Elldee
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM
People have beaten her in the past [obviously] - Mary Pierce! - and will again. Maria's style of play isn't hugely different from Lindsay's [big serve, going for winners, average movement] or maybe Serena's or Venus's to say the players have to learn how to play her. The more the players see Maria then closer it will get... at wimbledon she was underestimated and at the YEC she was good whilst others were flat [Davenport,Myskina - in the semi, Kuznetsova, Dementieva].

Sharapower
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Yeah. I think she over-grunted Serena today. I think if Maria had not have the habit of grunting, coming back from 0-4 deficit would have been a little bit more difficult.

At the end of the 3rd set, Serana grunted and said 'come on' repeateldy. But Maria responded with really loud gurntings.
:devil: :devil: :haha:

C'mon Maria !!!! :bounce:

pigam
Nov 16th, 2004, 03:13 PM
wow, so many constructive replies in this thread!

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 16th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Well, I think there's several players that know how to beat Sharapova quite well.

Myskina for example, had she not been mentally irritable at the YEC, she would have beaten her. You have to have the right amount of defense and offense. Serena, had she not been injured would have done it in the finals too.

Serena when she's playing well, like she was off the ground at the beginning of the 3rd set, is able to Out-hit Maria out of the point right away, and also defend with strategy and try to make her hit one more shot when she is on the offense.

MLF
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
It's not really the style of the top players, but Suarez played Sharapova perfectly at Roland Garros. Mid pace balls up the middle of the court with no angle and good length until she got the error or had a chance to go for a winner herself.

FrauleinSteffi
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Davenport is #1! :)the best player in the world not Serena or Venus :) Congrats Maria & Lyndsay :) Good luck Jen in 2005!:)

DEETHELICK
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Maria's movement needs to be exploited, but not side to side, more about moving her to the front of the court. She is not good at moving forward to low shots. Or short angles.

Also, the pace of shots to her forehand needs to be varied. High loopy ones help, unless you have a FH like Serena or Elena D.

Hitting into the body of Maria is good too, she doesn;t have enough speed to move around as well as others. Risky tactic, but could work 60% of the time.

Slice to her FH side is a good one.

Truthwillout
Nov 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I think you're right, Pigam. The girl has crushing, devastating strokes. She runs awfully fast for such a tall person and she'll have gained lots of self-confidence with her two victorious matchups vs Serena and those two beautiful titles in her bag. Actually, the only thing I can see to trouble her in the future is being patient and outplay her with subtle tactics. I think this is the reason why Myskina owned her until last week. I think a fully fit Justine could also manage to throw a spoke in her wheel but I guess other fans will say this is just wishful thinking.
Anyway, she doesn't deserve all the crap she's getting even if her father gets on some people's nerves.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Again, congrats to Maria winning the YEC :yeah:

BUT, I think players will have to learn how to deal with Maria's play,
Just like they had to with Serena and Venus.

Do I sound as if I don't make any sense? :) Quite possible,
but I still think I'm right. Although Maria is a FIIINE player, I can
see a lot of weaknesses which can easily be exploited by crafty players.

I'm not really talking about Serena here, since I think she did all she could
(seeying the circumstances) last night...

BUT, don't you guys think a lot of players undrestimate Maria?
I think they should take her more seiously and THINK about a startegy before
playing her, because there certainly are things that can trouble Maria...

I wonder what will be the solution.
Making her run from left to right sure isn't one!!!

Lol you act as if she has a winning record against all top players.

Martian KC
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I honestly don't see it hard to play sharapova. She has no other shots to depend on, so just keep her off balance. Justine will have a great time picking sharapova's game apart.:drool:

NicoMary
Nov 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Pierce already now:hearts:

Strong on her forehand...make her move, and always hit long and strong on her forehand!!!!!!!

that's it;)

SharapovaFan16
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:07 PM
you guys are dumb. o i know how to beat her you do this and do that. talk is cheap. maria's game changes the game of others, you guys are nuts. if you kno how to beat her join the tour and do it!

houseoflords
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Hit hit at her feet. She doesn't play the shots in her feet well. I noticed that at the US Open.

pigam
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:37 PM
you guys are dumb. o i know how to beat her you do this and do that. talk is cheap. maria's game changes the game of others, you guys are nuts. if you kno how to beat her join the tour and do it!
I'm not really dumb, but if ythinking sois making you feel better, fine :).
I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying that evry top playerr has certain weaknesses.
Serena has them, Venus, Justine, Kim, ...
A lot of the players know HOW to play those players, and they use their tactics to beat one and onther.
I'm only saying, since Maria is so 'new' on tour, players are still figuring her out.
But there are obvioously tactics that can bother her in great way.
That's all Im saying.
Not saying Maria deserves any crap for her 2 great victories :wavey:

Truthwillout
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Hey, hang on a minute. This is a tennis board, right? Pigam's and most of the posters' purpose was not to diss your fave. Just to try and figure out what could turn out to be a nuisance for her game, which shows that most of us hold her as a real champion with the right stuff and everything. The fact that we express an opinion doesn't mean that we're pretentious and think we know everything, indulging in that kind of think tank stuff is part of the whole fun for tennis fans. So don't you start seeing haters where there are none. I repeat the point of this thread and most of the contributions to it were purely theoretical. So get off your high horse and take it easy (you can also check out most posters in this thread and see that the bashing, hating Maria thing is not what we go in for). Now peace and take care

fammmmedspin
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Serena's first 4 games in the last set and Nastya's first set - not to mention Momo's win tell you most of what you need to know about beating Maria at the moment. watch Maria as she finds herself watching Nastya's and serena's balls fly by somewhere she can't get to.

Their problem was they stopped doing it. Maria's problem is that she may not get any faster and they may not stop - although having been through near despair as they did it to her but going on to win Maria may cope better mentally as it happens next time,

mboyle
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:17 PM
If Maria plays as well as she did at the YEC, she's not gonna lose many matches next year. Period. She hits harder than everyone else, she serves lethally, she moves very well now, she volleys very very well now, she is starting to learn how to drop shot, lob, etc., and she fights amazingly well.

mboyle
Nov 16th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Serena's first 4 games in the last set and Nastya's first set - not to mention Momo's win tell you most of what you need to know about beating Maria at the moment. watch Maria as she finds herself watching Nastya's and serena's balls fly by somewhere she can't get to.

Their problem was they stopped doing it. Maria's problem is that she may not get any faster and they may not stop - although having been through near despair as they did it to her but going on to win Maria may cope better mentally as it happens next time,
No, those examples were in Maria's control, barring the Serena example. Yes, basically, players have to play a perfect match.

SharapovaFan16
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:44 AM
i kno maria has weaknesses yall jus made it sound like she isnt so great, and yall could beat her

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:47 AM
This girl is not a complicated player to beat. Did you see Serena in the third set when she was up 4-0? Serena gave her plenty of gifts last nite.
I doubt anyone could keep up that level for a whole match. ;)

If they did, I'd be a Monkey's Uncle. :p

G1Player2
Nov 17th, 2004, 08:01 AM
If Maria plays as well as she did at the YEC, she's not gonna lose many matches next year. Period. She hits harder than everyone else, she serves lethally, she moves very well now, she volleys very very well now, she is starting to learn how to drop shot, lob, etc., and she fights amazingly well.
Diagree...Maria's game and strokes are primarily good for indoor courts and grass...Slower surfaces, such as clay and outdoor hardcourts, make her shots more neutral, and her traction is not that good on these surfaces...

Going in to the Austrailian Open, the surface is going to be one of the worst for Maria's game...I think Maria will go out possibly 1st round in Austrailia...If she does make it further she will struggle i.e. the US Open...

Maria's game is not designed for the dynamics of courts besides grass and indoors...Her record shows this...

DA FOREHAND
Nov 18th, 2004, 12:19 AM
UGGHHH what where her net stats in the YEC final? Not very good at all. She will become a better player, but as of now she has not raised the level of tennis. Each great player before her has done that, she's not there yet. :wavey: